Print Page | Close Window

Selecting a Prop for Westcoaster

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2180
Printed Date: 18 Jun 2024 at 1:03am

Topic: Selecting a Prop for Westcoaster
Posted By: billfish
Subject: Selecting a Prop for Westcoaster
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2003 at 8:48am

Sea trialling 710 Westcoaster, 250 hpdi Yammaha

19" Yamaha prop delivers 5000 rpm, just.     Tried 21" prop but struggled for revs - 4300 rpm max.  Yammy specs suggest 5700 optimum.

Bloke I know suggested a Merc mirage prop might be the go.   Going to try raising engine a notch.

Suggestions anyone?

Replies:
Posted By: Dead Ant
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2003 at 1:21pm
Billfish,
    If you're in Auckland it may be worth talking to Phil from the Big Fish Company in Pakuranga. I think he has a 710 WestCoaster as well as being the Auckland agent for them. He is always helpful on general fishing stuff so is probaly worth a call.
     Cheers
      DA

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2003 at 6:52pm
Cheers Deat Ant.  Phill sorted it out for me today at Halfmoon Bay.  17" Mirage works perfect.  Bring on the game season.  

Posted By: Dead Ant
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2003 at 10:46pm

Billfish,

What's your plan for targetting game fish - East, West, North or all of the above?  I'm an extreme novice but would like to get out and chase some Tuna for starters but wouldn't mind a bit of guidance as to where and when.

Cheers

DA

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2003 at 7:20am

Dead Ant,  I'm based in Auckland but plan on fishing "all of the above" althoght the main purpose of the westcoaster is to hit the Manukau and Kaipara bars to get after some of that un-pressured resource before the bastards in Wellington stop us.

Posted By: Naki
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2003 at 7:42am

Billfish.

I'm jealous of your WestCoaster, bloody awesome boats. A mate of mine has an earlier 5.5m and they go places where a lot of bigger boats fear to tread.

We have a Yammie 115 4 Stroke with a 19" prop and it will only pull 5000 rpm. Talked to our Yammie dealer and he said we should try a 17". Just wondering how much top end you lost with the 17".

Is the Mirage a 3 or 4 blade prop?

Cheers

-------------
President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 7:27am
3 blade mirage.  No real loss in top end.  Revs to 5600 giving 40 kts.   Tried 4 blade- was smoother for sure and lots more fuel efficent but reduced overall speed by 5 kts.  Little bit of slippage too.   Seems 3 blade 17" best all round choice but could see good reason for having both.

Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 10:43am

is it much of a task to swap them over before heading out? i would have thought this would be good for if you were planing on goint out and trolling plastic etc?

b.m

Posted By: R2D2
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 9:18pm

Naki,

I went from a 19 to a 17 on my Yammie 115 2 stroke, revs went from 5000 to 5400 max and lost maybe 2 ks top speed. I read somewhere that 1 " of pitch is worth about 200 revs, seems to be the case with mine.  Don't know if the comparison is valid for a 4 stroke tho.

JD

Posted By: Naki
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:35am

JD

Thanks for that. May give a 17" a go.

-------------
President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!

Print Page | Close Window