Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18709
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:13pm

Topic: Squid's Big Brother?
Posted By: Dead Ant
Subject: Squid's Big Brother?
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 8:08am
I came across these pictures of giant squid caught near the Ross Ice Shelf by a Patagaonian Tooth Fish boat.  Imagine these as a livey!

Aparently the mantle was 12-14 feet but what an inking that could give.

Something to get a bit of scale from.

Replies:
Posted By: tugboat
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 9:19am
Those things give me the shytes, i reakon if you went overboard at night, it wouldnt be the sharks that get ya its the bloody squid will!!!

Posted By: Fishful Thinking
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 11:32am
Hey DA, they brought one back to NZ a couple of years ago from that area. New species find, had 2 inch claws in tentacles that it could rotate to shred prey, easily big enought to take a man.

-------------
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma

Posted By: Bender
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 11:51am
If it really was Squid's brother, the best way to get him up on the boat would be to wave one of their wives at it.

-------------
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Posted By: skunkpunk
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 12:02pm
amazing pics! imagine the size of the calamari rings off that beast. Yummo!

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 11:09pm
You can see where the stories came from of the Kraken from the old salty sea dogs, thats a big bugger but only a wee fulla compared to some down there I guess....As you say Tug boat if you fell over it would probably be those buggers that got ya first.

Posted By: Peter da Squid
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 9:05am
that thing would take your head off if it decided to blow its load

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Posted By: A C
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

You can see where the stories came from of the Kraken from the old salty sea dogs, thats a big bugger but only a wee fulla compared to some down there I guess....As you say Tug boat if you fell over it would probably be those buggers that got ya first.

Did you guy's see what those buggers did to that Marlin on Kezz & Mats DVD ?

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: tugboat
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 10:49am
Yeah saw that nasty stuff AC..

Posted By: burwood
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 9:55pm
AC-you talking about the Grander Blue on Ultimate Lady? Thought that was a shark that knailed that fish.

Posted By: A C
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2007 at 1:55pm
There was a grander Black that got sharked ?? Not that one - it was a Stripey out at the Wanganellas that came in stripped to the bone by those huge squid.

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: Mesonychoteuthis
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 8:47am
Dead Ant, those are ****** amazing shots of the "colossal" squid, Mesonychoteuthis.. Big holes poked in it and the squid's still jetting a lot of water, and it's not letting go of that toothfish, either. Was that beast discarded or did it go off to a lab? (Or a kitchen? Unlike the giant squid, colossals are probably edible.) I wonder how many fish Meso had snapped off the lines before being found out.

Posted By: Mark Edwards
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 9:32am
...mother of all darkness that is a scary looking beast...

Posted By: charliedog
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:26pm
ha and we use fresh squid for snapper, can you get your head around the size of the red that would eat that mother .15kg might not do there guys, and i don't think anyone would be to keen on diveing in to help you, if it pulled you in either...

Posted By: phantomdeviant
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 10:57am
Nasty piece of work that beast! On that dvd of Ultimate Lady(what a boat!) at the Whanganella's that marlin they pull in looks as though it has had a trip to see a professional fish filleter. Apart from the head there's nothing left! If you haven't seen it try to get a copy it will blow you away!

Posted By: bluefox_13
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 9:33am
Meso,

That particular squid is now at Te Papa sitting in the freezer being examined by scientists and then they are hoping to have it ondisplay ina  special freezer case at some stage but they wont put a date on it.

-------------
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....

Print Page | Close Window