Print Page | Close Window

Forum members

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: Forum comments and feedback
Forum Description: Anything related to posting or running of the forum, check here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1573
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:36am

Topic: Forum members
Posted By: KingfishSi
Subject: Forum members
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 10:46am
I was wondering what happens to all these people who sign up to this great forum but never return? These people must have some good stories to tell or ways they fish that could benefit us all.

Kerren, how many forum members are on this site?

Come all of you who sign up or just browse this forum as guests, speak up! I'm sure everyone else on this forum would welcome you onboard.

Cheers

-------------
Keep knockin', nobody's home.

Replies:
Posted By: Kerren
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 11:48am

Hi ya Kingi...

this is a good question mate.....what do I/we have to do to get lurkers out of their closets and get even more good info?...

I am more than happy with the partcipation level and quality of our posters, but like any "business" the goal is to grow and keep growing..so if anyone has any bright ideas...feel free to post 'em, pm or email me.

#s of "forum" members?...well that is potentially everyone that signs up for the VIP service...but those that actually browse and use the discussion boards....maybe 200 odd at a guess?

-------------
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05

Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 11:57am
I've told mates about the forum but none of the bastards have even checked it out or joined up as far as I know.

None of them are quite as keen on fishing as me but they all do it. That is when their wives allow them, I give them all a hard time about being too much under the thumb. Crikey, I hope this never happens to me !

-------------

Posted By: Mars
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 12:23pm
Thats a tough question Kerren. How do you get lurkers to post? I know you've offered the odd incentive, but that doesn't seem to be what they want. I think its a personality thing. I lurked for a while before my first tentative posts, a little intimidated I guess by the quality of the knowledge being shared. Now you can't shut me up!
I notice that the views in some of the Wgtn posts runs into the 100s, but the contributors can often be counted on one hand. It's a bit disappointing to think that these people are gleaning good info, but not sharing theirs. This is one of the reasons I dont give out specific location info, as you do guys in AK. As it is I almost feel like I'm still saying too much.
I guess some people like us enjoy being in the thick of it, and others just want to be voyeurs....

Mars

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 12:41pm
One odd thing I have noticed..... I have seen recently ...newest forum member is kerren packer (who?) and today ....michael parker.... (who???????? ohhh thats me...). Weird ....

Posted By: lalandi
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 12:47pm

I just went in to the VIP section to check it out again and there is only one small mention of the forum. When I see the latest person to sign up thing at the bottom of the main forum page, not many use a handle. My theory is that most when they sign up are unaware of the forum. Perhaps Kerren you could make more obvious on the sign up section that there is a forum... better still as soon as they press enter the are bounced straight into this part of the site and are forced to make a post... "Hi my name is ______ and I like long walks on the beach... My favourite place to fish is fartface reef..." just like the new kid at school.

I originally signed up for the fishing reports and it took me a few months to discover the discussion groups, then another few months to make a post.

-------------
So you're a feminist... How cute

Posted By: Kerren
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 1:05pm

Thanx fellas....keep it coming!

Smudge...yeah I was shocked to see my name come up as a "new" member...thought one of my so called mates was up to no good...but as it turns out it was something I had done in the Top Shot Gallery and had not given my "usual" email...so it recognised me as a F.N.G.....have you changed emails or anything like that Mr. Parker?

Good points there Lalandi....I will investigate and see what we can do about getting the forums a bit more "in your face"....maybe even a newsletter mail out to the current members making them aware of the forums

-------------
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05

Posted By: Cookie
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 1:42pm

Kingfishi

From my point of view it�s more the fact that there is so much information that I tend to find myself running out of things to say. Take Lethals posts for example the information he shares is just bloody awesome, and that along with others like say Paul Mathews down our way etc I find that there isn�t to much more I can ask.

I know there are already enough places to post various topics, but maybe an area where you could just go to chew the fat about anything other than fishing may help. The knowledge base would extend far beyond just fishing in this forum. End of the day though can�t fault it at all.

Mars no fear of me a lurker (sub 100 posts) trying to find your favoured spots; it�s a big old ocean out there.

Cookie

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 2:15pm
nope ... I havent changed emails .... maybe a typo snuck in there ... It was just after I entered the Gamakatsu draw...

Posted By: Bushpig
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 2:21pm
I thought you were just trying to create a new personality Smudge

Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 2:31pm
Cookie, I know what you mean. Some of the topics seem to go a little stagnant after a while and may take off on a totally different tangent.

Some discussions just go round and round in circles.

That's why I reckon the more people that join in the forum the more questions and advice that'll be available. A new approach to the way people do things is always welcome.

Afterall, fishing is one of those things you are never going to completely master, there are always new challenges to be had.

Cheers

-------------

Posted By: Mars
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 2:57pm
Lalandi, I like your thinking. Make 'em stand up in front of the class!

Smudge, there may be more than one Michael Parker!

Cookie, I wouldn't regard you as a lurker. You are a contributor! It's people that use the forum but don't post that disappoint me. For me it's not so much about locations, as I respect peoples wishes to retain that info. Knowing there are snapper on the West Coast and techniques/baits that are working is enough for me to go on. It should be about information SHARING.
It is a big ocean out there, but once you break it down into areas it gets smaller. (even smaller if we lose some thru reserves, God forbid).

Kerren, I was thinking along the lines of Cookies idea also re: a forum for 'chewing the fat'. There are a few threads coming thru along these lines ie: rugby, American Idol??? etc, which can probably be accommodated there.

My 2 cents,
           Mars
Off the Water, maybe?

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 6:31pm
I love it the way it is
Love the way people have oneanother on.

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 6:41pm
ditto barrie, its great as is. just please please don't add a chat room kerren. cheers john

-------------

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 27 May 2003 at 7:52pm

maybe they feel intimidated, and don't won't to be heard or seen making a fool of them self's, or asking questions that they feel are way below our  thinking........

How about a thread just for newbie's and we stay out of it........ that way they can come ask if they feel there not getting the right answers, by posting it in the ones we frequent....... its just a idea who knows what it will take to get them involved.... im just thinking out loud now.....

or maybe they get to go into a draw for starting a new thread or maybe a prize for the best question asked or the best trip report by a newbie...

We need new blood come on you newbie's give us a hand and tell us what you would perfer, give us an idea so we can get you involved......

Cheers Lethal

Posted By: alan
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2003 at 2:57am

you probably notice i dont post much.this is because i am not sure if my information is relevant over there as i am in australia.i still dont really understand fishing locations and type etc.most of my fishing is in water upto 30 feet deep in gulf waters.mainly livebaiting for mulloway which i dont think you guys get over there, and snapper fishing which seems to be a bit different over here from what ive read.i dont think too many of the fish varieties are the same ,although some are there under a different name.

i will try to add my bit from time to time when it seems relevant.i cant steal your fishing spots but get alot of info from this site.

keep up the good work

alan

Posted By: Damo
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2003 at 9:00am

did we ever get a price for the pennant flags, Ts etc. Advertising would help. I for one would fly the flag so to speak and of course physically on both our charter boats. Any news?

Get into it you new guys. You wont be new for long.

Damian

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing

Print Page | Close Window