Print Page | Close Window

Seacraft Costa Mesa

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1457
Printed Date: 28 May 2024 at 1:41am

Topic: Seacraft Costa Mesa
Posted By: Grounded
Subject: Seacraft Costa Mesa
Date Posted: 07 May 2003 at 6:43pm

Well, I was a bit reluctant to post this, being she will be in such exalted company as huge Ramcos, Challengers, Stabicraft etc., but hey, we all have to start somewhere, eh?

These were taken on our drive, I didn't have the heart to drag Lethal and his cameras out! (thanks anyway Lethal). She is 15ft long, has twin 30hp Evinrude motors, manual tilt, no trim (apart from where we stand on the boat). For electronics she has a Hummingbird Wide 100, which doesn't seem to be working too well as it shows 1metre, regardless of the depth of water under the boat (any ideas anyone?). No VHF (yet), no radar, no GPS, no bar, no colour TV, but she does have a comfy little cabin for SWMBO and a manual winch for the anchor warp.

We went out for the first time today and I am just grateful the boatramp was deserted and there were no video cameras. We must have "straightened up" 100 times whilst reversing down the ramp and almost gave up half a dozen times. Still we made it,but once in the water I was reluctant to open her up with an iffy depth sounder (not wanting to go gardening) so we stuck to 2000 revs and just toddled about for half an hour before taking her out again. Still, no disasters and a bit of experience under the belt.

Can't wait for next time!

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Replies:
Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 07 May 2003 at 7:30pm

what happened Chris did you jack knife the pic of the Forum?  ......

i dont think you waited till the Email arrived then went back cause there should have been a number attached to your pic and it do's not have one, check your email and you should have a reply saying your pic has been posted, then go get the URL then repost it here and we can all have a look see.....  

Cheers Lethal

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 6:01am
Chris
by the look of the picture, I think next time you should put the bung in...Nice blue water though mate.

Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 6:35am

Hmm, very strange! I tried following Lethal's idiot proof instructions but somehow could not capture the URL, so I copied and pasted it from the e-mail they sent me, but zippo. So I am trying manual input (ooer missus). Here goes.

Not looking too good, is it? try http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m.36998.jpg">http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m.36998.jpg

or http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m.36999.jpg">http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m.36999.jpg

does this look like a boat, or a little red cross?

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Posted By: Barrie
Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 7:36am
Chris
The URL is where the problem is I think as I have clicked on the link and says not found??

Posted By: Dead Ant
Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 9:36am
Chris,
    Try removing the dots between the m and the number. This wrks for me so you end up with

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m36999.jpg

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m36998.jpg

Nice boat though. Gotta love those twin outboards.
    Cheers
        DA

Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 6:45pm

Thanks DA, here goes nothing!!

I am putting together a list of wants/must haves preparatory to visiting the boat show. It has no navigation lights (and the day-skipper CD Rom says it must have), only two rod holders and no VHF but she floats and we are looking forward to having a lot of fun and learning a lot about boating before "upsizing".

Chris

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshots/MomentOfFame/m36999jpg"> 

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 9:10pm

ok lets see if i can get it work for you Chris......... im dead keen now to see this boat.........

Date Posted: 08 May 2003 at 9:13pm

wow thats a lot better than my first boat........ Congrates Chris on being a proud new owner of a boat....... welcome to the club........

Cheers Lethal

Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 12:58am

Dead Ant....... have you any idea how that extra dot got in their on the URL????????

Cheers Lethal

Posted By: 1000PA
Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 1:16am

I like the anchor whinch sport!

The wide 100 sounder looks good too.

How are those twins at planing the boat? Do they both turn the same way?

Nice rig, I look forward to some good fish photos very soon.

P.S. Meola reef is fishing very well at present!

Ross

-------------
Fishing-4-all-NZ

Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 5:49am

Thanks Lethal, there was very nearly a pile of hair on my keyboard and I need to hang on to what little I have! How did you manage it?

Ross - our kids are not twins and they certainly are not into woodwork . But seriously - I believe the motors turn in the same direction but I am not sufficiently experienced to be able to answer your question on planing. When we took her out (briefly) we kept the speed down, mainly because the Wide 100 was on the fritz (constantly displaying 1 metre depth), but when I did push the throttles forward to 3000 revs we both nearly fell off the back, which might go some way to answering your question? I will let you know when we have tried the winch.

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 9:20am
grounded, will you have to get a new name now? i take it you were grounded as you had nothing to float in. but you don't want to be the owner of a boat with a name like that, boats and grounded make me think of fibreglass repairs. nice boat, happy for you dude, maybe i'll be next.

-------------

Posted By: Dead Ant
Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 1:44pm
Lethal,
    No idea on the extra dots. It's a file format thing that insists you only have one dot in a file name. The part after the dot is called the suffix and usually indicates the kind of file it is. The bottom line is only one dot.

Grounded, you may want to talk to the hummingbird agent in Wellington regarding your sounder. I have found them to be pretty good at getting things fixed with quick turn around times. Before sending it off it would probably pay to have a look at all the connections from transducer to display. It might also be worth cleaning the transducer of any gunge on the bottom.
    Cheers.
        DA

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 2:05pm
Grounded make sure the transducer is clipped inot place properly, they are hinged and a bump or two can spring them out.

Posted By: ohsif
Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 4:08pm
Hi Grounded,

Where about are you in Auckland? I have a Wide 100 that I'm not using at the moment and you could use it to determine if the problem is in the transducer or the head unit.

Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 6:08pm

Smudge/DA - thanks for the suggestions guys, I will look for the transducer but I understand it is mounted in the "false bottom", presumably glued/bonded to the hull? I can see where the cable goes through the floor so I will have a hunt tomorrow. We might take her out again on Sunday from Te Toro (so if you want a laugh.....) and I will give it another try.

Cheers Ohsif, that is darned decent of you. I/we live just outside of Waiuku, practically on the banks of the Waikato at a place called Hoods Landing. Where are you?

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Date Posted: 09 May 2003 at 6:19pm

CanadianJohn, that is a darned good question, and I have been thinking about it. A more appropriate name right now might be "jack-knifed", as I am bloody good at doing that with the trailer (easier than going straight!), but I have got quite attached to these wellies Lethal made for me and, hey, who's superstitious? (Touch wood)

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Posted By: ohsif
Date Posted: 12 May 2003 at 7:33am
Hi Grounded,

I�m in Mt Roskill.
It sounds like your transducer has become detached from the hull. It must not have any air gap between the transducer face and the water. I tried mine out yesterday and with the transducer not in contact with anything the unit reads 1m. With the transducer disconnected the unit does not give a reading. In theory attaching the transducer to the inside of the hull reduces the sensitivity, but in reality it doesn�t seem to make much difference especially in relatively shallow water. I had a boat with the transducer mounted on the inside of the hull and it worked perfectly adequately. The alternative it to mount the transducer on a transom bracket and this means drilling holes for the bracket and cable and also exposes the transducer and cable to possible damage.

Posted By: Dino
Date Posted: 12 May 2003 at 12:57pm

Hi Grounded

A tip for your trailer backing. Make very small turns on the car wheel. Once you get past a 1/4 of a turn its hard to get back straight going backwards. Also start staight in line with the target if you can. Even if it means stopping traffic to get into your drive way. Also try having the car door open a little and looking at the trailer wheels rather than over your shoulder at the front of the boat.

You'll be backing using just your wing mirrors before you know it.

Dino

Date Posted: 12 May 2003 at 5:28pm

Ohsif, I have sent you a PM.

Dino - thanks for the advise and tips mate, I will be trying them out this week!

Chris

-------------
It's a mystery to me
I was a Jerk On Line

Posted By: 1000PA
Date Posted: 12 May 2003 at 9:01pm

When I was truck driving I was given backing advise from an old maori gent who knew his stuf.

He said - Reverse with the hands on the bottom of the wheel. That way you'll feel like you're turning it the right way each time. It works!

Ross

-------------
Fishing-4-all-NZ

Print Page | Close Window