Print Page | Close Window

Old Hydraulic Trim Tabs

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=138040
Printed Date: 13 Apr 2024 at 6:07pm

Topic: Old Hydraulic Trim Tabs
Posted By: livebait
Subject: Old Hydraulic Trim Tabs
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 2:00pm
Hi All

Does anyone know how these actually work? I managed to find the fittings that broke. 

I can't get it to work, the lever won't move after a moving up and down a few times, looks like an air lock or something.

I'm in West Auckland, Happy to pay to get it fixed., only thing stopping me from getting out there.

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 2:59pm
I've never worked on trim tabs but with anything hydraulic once it has had air introduced to the system it will need to be bled out but I can't tell you how to do that on this.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 6:48am
If they need bleeding then, there could be two ways.

Use gravity, fill the reservoir and undo the the fitting on the ram. You may need to pressurize very lightly and carefully for short amounts of time to actually get flow. Keep filling reservoir regularly.

The other way would be to undo the fitting on the ram, then activate levers to full down position. Then do up the fitting on the ram again. Activate the levers to fully up on the rams, then repeat the cycle. Check reservoir level regularly. Do until bled.

I really wouldn't let it stop getting out though. They're not that important. Just use motor trim, for bow level. Slide chilly bins or get people to move side to side, to level boat horizontally.

Print Page | Close Window