Print Page | Close Window

Southland small boaters...

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Fishing Buddies
Forum Description: Contact details for people looking for a fishing buddy
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137806
Printed Date: 13 Apr 2024 at 7:27pm


Topic: Southland small boaters...
Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Subject: Southland small boaters...
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 6:01pm
Ive got a wee mac360 and im in southland....

any other wee boat owners that would fancy meeting up and going out fishing as a group? Im thinking that 2 wee boats together could go places one wee boat might hesitate to go.

anyhoo..... just a thought.... i would be keen for weekend missions, launching from Fortrose, Bluff or Riverton...

cheers OE

(guess i need a new name since i sold "offshore echoes")




Replies:
Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:03pm
well i finally got the hull wet in salt water.....

sadly the water pump that worked so well last week has decided to hold off  on pumping so 15 seconds of running the outboard and back on the trailer.

Poo.

Fortrose was beautiful today... loads of whitebaiters and no swell across the bar.
 maybe tomorrow will be better... (assuming i can fix the water pump today.)




Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:06pm




oh, and if you are this guy..... please just launch and get out of the way.... i know you wondered what the other car and boat was doing....
He Was Waiting!




Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 1:49pm
Righty oh, ive had the foot off again, all looked good inside.... no odd leaks or weird o rings poking out anywhere....

i reversed the wee (75mm)length of pipe form the foot to the leg and bolted it up again.....

heres the result.



WTAF is going on now?


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 3:26pm
ok, so i pulled the foot off again and still didnt see anything odd.... the water pump is clearly pumping... put it all back together and.....



it looks a little rough in the pic but its a decent solid healthy stream in real life!!! 


Yay!!


Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 4:04pm
Dude , I have just had similar with my honda 35 ( yep I got a small boat too ) . Dragged it out of hibernation , did all the clever stuffbut the thing was reluctant to pump enough water to squirt out the happy hole  , so I gets new pump impeller from Steve Gooding  ( in stock , price ok ) and fit it to the motor  but despite high hopes  and enthusiasm  it was no better ......not really that surprised as I couldnt see much wrong  with old one . Any how this motor has 3 water inlets , earmuffs cover two on the sides  but there is one more above the prop that you cant really cover except temporary for testing  ( I used duct tape )   and the motor squirted fine mmmmmm  . Turns out If your earmuffs have got a bit hard with age   and if your water supply aint that great   the bloody thing wont push  the water  up into the pump  , instead what water there is pours out the 3rd inlet above prop. New earmuffs ( Marine deals ) and clean out he hose filter and it squirted well enough to go fishing  ( caught jack 5hit ).
I am in Thornbury   and have checked out everywhere from Monkey Island  right round to Frasers beach , just bought a small 4wd so Im back in business towing and launching wise .  I only ever been out of Riverton , sure is safety in numbers , freezers empty ( of fish )


-------------
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

New earmuffs ( Marine deals ) and clean out he hose filter and it squirted well enough to go fishing  ( caught jack 5hit ).


Hiya, i couldnt see any difference either.... the motor sits in a drum of water to flush as i dont have enough pressure to use muffs here...

the filter you mention, is it in the motor somewhere? My flow is better now, good enough for me to trust it to go out today but still not a really positive flow at an idle...

Didnt get any fish today out of Fortrose but did get buzzed by dolphins.... the bar was smooth and easy both directions...



cheers    OE


Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 6:16pm
hi , I meant the filter in my tank water supply . My motor has a permatrim  on it ( bolt on large cavitation plate ) so it dont fit into a drum for flushing  , otherwise I would never have had this issue , ironically the aux motor wont take earmuffs and has to be in a tub to test  / flush .
No fish at Fortrose , bugger ! . This year we want to have a go at surfcasting  and Frasers beach looks good , both at the site visit and on google satellite . There would have to be cod around there  , must have a butchers at my chart and check out the deep water . Not much of that round here and Im sorta obsessed with all the fish  being at where I cant get at them  and whats the point of having 300m of braid  if you never go over 20m .Smile 


-------------
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:29pm
now im all inspired to do some boaty type camping this summer (just got back from 3 days on Stewart Island).

I tend to boat alone so removed the front seat and put some treated ply down with silicon and stainless screws...


Dont look too closely at the fit there folks, i got inspired at S I but also got the wuhu flu so its not my best work.

Following Tasman on youtube and his zany small boat fun i figure i would do some exploring about the place, so, i will need fuel and some idea about range.  The theory is that i could goto Kingston (Lake Wakatipu) and motor to Frankton a distance of 38km. And back. This would give me a decent idea about fuel burn and some nice long runs to get confident in the setup.



Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:31pm

The loadout for the test trip would look like this...



70 litres of fuel, for actual burning and weight and 2 chilly bins for lunch. I reckon this would simulate my camping type load, tho probably less fuel and more tent...

Next challenge is to figure out how to tie it all down...

TBC


Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 9:19am
What about Monowai or north Mavora lakes ( Hauroko has way to many sandflies ). Wakatip is a bit ho hum Smile I have seen peeps fishing  whilst driving  the lake road ,and what speed are you thinkin , trolling speed  or just a blast up the lake .
I been thinking about  using my fishfinder to look for trout in deeper water and then trying to drop a small jig on them ( nah , I dont have a down rigger LOL).
The big difference between ear muffs and a tub is that (usually ) the water in the tub is deep enough to prime the pump ( they dont suck air that well ) ie  over the height of the pump but the muffs rely on hose water pressure to push the water up to the pump . Doesnt sound like a big ask but with the above mentioned leaks  and the crap pressure in the 1st place I didnt quite get there . 
 What sort of motor do you have ? cant quite see in your pix Wink


-------------
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 4:56pm
Hiya Mc Tool,

Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

What about Monowai or north Mavora lakes ( Hauroko has way to many sandflies ). Wakatip is a bit ho hum


I thought of wakatipu only because i know it a little, all im after is a long run at full load..... also if it goes wrong then i have family in queenstown i can call to pick me up and run me back to my car...

Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

what speed are you thinkin , trolling speed  or just a blast up the lake .


For this run it would just be a touring speed run for the whole time, gathering fuel burn data and trialing refueling on the water...

Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

The big difference between ear muffs and a tub is that (usually ) the water in the tub is deep enough to prime the pump ( they dont suck air that well ) ie  over the height of the pump but the muffs rely on hose water pressure to push the water up to the pump . Doesnt sound like a big ask but with the above mentioned leaks  and the crap pressure in the 1st place I didnt quite get there .


Yeah the tub has been fine in the past where i would hang the motor on the coalshed gate and run it there.... it dosent seem that successful while still on the boat...

If i decide to fit a fin in the future then i will need to come up with a better solution...

Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

What sort of motor do you have ? cant quite see in your pix Wink


Its a Mercury 15 longshaft, just the aux off Offshore Echoes...


cheers OE


Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 6:38pm
Yes the 15hp water pickup is in a prick of a place under the cavitation plate. I thought of putting a wing on mine but I would have needed a major tank to run it in, so I didn’t bother I just spent time setting the trim up properly. Running it on my 3.7 quintrex today I got 38km at WOT.

You need to run 95 octane in the 15 mercs to get them humming.


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yes the 15hp water pickup is in a prick of a place under the cavitation plate. I thought of putting a wing on mine but I would have needed a major tank to run it in, so I didn’t bother I just spent time setting the trim up properly. Running it on my 3.7 quintrex today I got 38km at WOT.

You need to run 95 octane in the 15 mercs to get them humming.


hmmmm do you reckon more power from 95?

also how heavy is the quintrex? The mac ive got is 240kg dry i think... (plus im a fat bastard)



Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Offshore Echoes Offshore Echoes wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yes the 15hp water pickup is in a prick of a place under the cavitation plate. I thought of putting a wing on mine but I would have needed a major tank to run it in, so I didn’t bother I just spent time setting the trim up properly. Running it on my 3.7 quintrex today I got 38km at WOT.

You need to run 95 octane in the 15 mercs to get them humming.


hmmmm do you reckon more power from 95?

also how heavy is the quintrex? The mac ive got is 240kg dry i think... (plus im a fat bastard)

Quintrex is half that weight and a 15hp is the bear minimum on that boat, but yes the mercury 15hp should be run on 95.

A wing won’t fix an underpowered boat, only a repower will fix that.


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:



A wing won’t fix an underpowered boat, only a repower will fix that.


indeed, i would like a 25 but dont have that kind of cash to splash... i already had the 15 in the shed so thats what im running...


Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Offshore Echoes Offshore Echoes wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:



A wing won’t fix an underpowered boat, only a repower will fix that.


indeed, i would like a 25 but dont have that kind of cash to splash... i already had the 15 in the shed so thats what im running...
run the right gas and get the trim pin set right I run the second hole up from the bottom and it should push it along good enough.

When was it last given a tuneup


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:00pm
its never had a tune, its only got 15 hours on it...


Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:27pm
I would run 95  in a 2 stroke  , maybe 100+ even . I believe it keeps longer , and keep the fuel fresh . I leave it in the boat for a month or two then it goes thru the quad and the car before it goes off. 2 strokes can be a bit weird if the octane gets below whats required ....like stale fuel .
 O,E , ha  ha  I was thinkin   "pub to pub  ( Kingston pub to Eicharts pub )


-------------
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time


Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Offshore Echoes Offshore Echoes wrote:

its never had a tune, its only got 15 hours on it...
there’s US and Japanese built 15hp mercs, the US built motors have the gear change on the throttle and the Japanese motors have the change on the side. The Japanese motors are rebadged 18hp Tohatsu and have a bit more grunt.


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

  there’s US and Japanese built 15hp mercs, the US built motors have the gear change on the throttle and the Japanese motors have the change on the side. The Japanese motors are rebadged 18hp Tohatsu and have a bit more grunt.


i see, mine is a US model then... throttle gear shifter....

LOL


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 7:11pm

Went up to Lake Wakatipu for a wee run on sat.... the forecast was for fine and light winds... not really so when i got there, maybe 15 knots on the nose... and of course the ramp at Kingston faces directly into the swell...



not sure why that pic has a border but im going to claim it was intentional...LOL

Motored up (into a 50cm chop with the occasional 1m wave just for thrills) to Halfway bay for a few pics and a rest... 17.4 km burning 10 litres o gas. The wee boat handled it pretty well, i had 50 litres of gas and a chillybin of lunch and tools with me as payload...



The return journey was a hoot, tail wind and a following swell/chop... cruising along, ramping off the waves and burying the bow in the next one. 17.4ish km burning about 6 litres of gas...

Travel time on the upwind leg was about 1hour 15 min, return was a little quicker...

all in all a fun day and useful data was gathered...

sadly i also noticed this...


7cm split just below where the transom plate is.... i think i might have over tightened the bolts holding the transom riser on..

bugger.

(does anyone know where i can get a wee patch from?)

cheers OE







Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 7:29am
Id be looking at getting it welded  as it looks a bit structural , or maybe some posh glue  , and have a real good look tother side  Smile
'part from that   a good day out .


-------------
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time


Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Offshore Echoes Offshore Echoes wrote:


Went up to Lake Wakatipu for a wee run on sat.... the forecast was
for fine and light winds... not really so when i got there, maybe 15 knots on the nose... and of
course the ramp at Kingston faces directly into the swell...



not sure why that pic has a border but im going to claim it was intentional...LOL

Motored up (into a 50cm chop with the occasional 1m wave just for thrills) to Halfway bay for a few pics and a rest... 17.4 km burning 10 litres o gas. The wee boat handled it pretty well, i had 50 litres of gas and a chillybin of lunch and tools with me as payload...



The return journey was a hoot, tail wind and a following swell/chop... cruising along, ramping off the waves and burying the bow in the next one. 17.4ish km burning about 6 litres of gas...

Travel time on the upwind leg was about 1hour 15 min, return was a little quicker...

all in all a fun day and useful data was gathered...

sadly i also noticed this...


7cm split just below where the transom plate is.... i think i might have over tightened the bolts holding the transom riser on..

bugger.

(does anyone know where i can get a wee patch from?)

cheers OE





Does it have a transum support bracket that bolts back to the floor to take the weight.


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:


 Does it have a transum support bracket that bolts back to the floor to take the weight.


no, just the vertical ali plate.... my motor is under the max weight...... maybe the hull is getting a bit tired and just needs a little support there tho...


Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 6:51am
Look at the photos of this boat, it’s a 15hp with a motor bracket.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/4442415326" rel="nofollow - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/4442415326


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Look at the photos of this boat, it’s a 15hp with a motor bracket.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/4442415326" rel="nofollow - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/4442415326


hmmm, i see....

might be worth looking into...

cheers !


Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:02am
That definitely needs some sort of bracket to strengthen it up or it'll spilt further. Repair the split with a suitable glue first then add a bracket.



-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.


Posted By: Offshore Echoes
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 4:01pm
update on the weeMac360....

went to Stewart Island but cant remember if i posted the story here...

now ive replaced the shonky ply that was the anchor well with ali... looks heaps better!







cheers OE



Print Page | Close Window