Print Page | Close Window

Quick capstan advice

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137655
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:08pm

Topic: Quick capstan advice
Posted By: Staystoked
Subject: Quick capstan advice
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:34am
Hi all,
I was hoping the good people here might be able to help me with my winch install.

Anyone have the Quick tumbler 500w capstan on their boat and if so how did you install. The winch has two terminals on the end , labeled a1 and a2. ( i was expecting them to be police and negative so a bit stumped)
I assume I need a solenoid also but only need a one direction one to run off my foot switch- what are the options...the listed ones that operate in both directions are 300 bucks !
Many thanks for any help offered

Replies:
Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:48am
I have one on my boat, terminals are positive negative you can just connect them either way to get it spin left or right. No need for a solenoid just the foot switch is fine. However you will need an 80 amp circuit breaker.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I have one on my boat, terminals are positive negative you can just connect them either way to get it spin left or right. No need for a solenoid just the foot switch is fine. However you will need an 80 amp circuit breaker.

Not familiar with that particular brand but Kandrew is 100% correct

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:50pm
Thank you, the solenoid part has been really confusing, some say you need one, others say not. My plan so far it to use 16mm twin core from the battery, put a circuit breaker in the line close to battery, run that all up to a foot switch, and then connect to capstan. Do the footswitches have terminals on them large enough to take that size cable? I guess I'm about to find out:)
If you say you have the same winch on your boat and its hooked up that way then thays good enough for me. Many thanks again for taking the time to reply:)

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:51pm
Thank you 😊

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:07pm
Yes you're on the right path. Use crimp lugs to connect to the terminals, make sure the hole size in the lugs matches the stud size.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:15pm
Thank you 😊

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:39am
Make sure your foot switch is rated high enough. It should be, but pays to check.

Print Page | Close Window