Print Page | Close Window

The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137644
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:48pm

Topic: The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media
Posted By: Marligator
Subject: The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:52am
I have noticed a rapid decline in the standard of editorial oversite, let alone the massive decline in quality of reporting, within the NZ print media and especially with the NZ Herald. Saw this in this morning's NZ Herald, can you spot what is fundamentally wrong.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: corosanta
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:19am
It's just a case of not enough 'others'.

-------------
Sitndrinkntalknbullman

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:32am
It's what you would expect to see with rounding to one decimal place of the results, personally I'd have tweaked the "others" category to make it look better -but I'm fussy like that.

Posted By: Moots
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:20am
So is National in the lead or the red party?

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:18am
I guess the question is are they colour blind, stupid or being deliberately confusing?

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:16pm
Wife is a former journalist and is horrified at the number of mistakes made in both print and screen news reporting - seems every night she's correcting the bad grammar used in the news. Her old sub-editor would be turning in his grave.

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:12pm
Hahaha I looked at that and couldn't see what you were on about until Moots answered. Red for National Blue for Labour. Pretty good for NZ Herald standards. Yes there has been a huge decline

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:51pm
Sufishent I write a lot of reports, my grammar and spelling is not the best, but it is way better than most of these opinion writers, can't call them journalists anymore.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:46am
Is this a mistake or done on purpose, looks like someone trying to hide the results to me.

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

..... it is way better than most of these opinion writers, can't call them journalists anymore.

Missus says exactly the same thing - does her head in with all the opinion "reporting"

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:02am
Im more shocked that 2.6 % of the population are voting for Winston again. He's burnt every bridge in Parliament and been ruled out as a partner by every other party leader.
Why won't he simply just go away?

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Im more shocked that 2.6 % of the population are voting for Winston again. He's burnt every bridge in Parliament and been ruled out as a partner by every other party leader.

I cannot understand why Labour is still that high. Wacko

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

because they bribe their voter base, $166k spent on warriors tickets given to people so they would fill out their census forms. Who many of them were given to national voters.

I can’t understand how people vote for the greens, all those green voters in ponsonby sitting in their multi million dollar homes and the greens want to bring in a wealth tax. They will be the ones who will get smashed by the new tax but they still vote for the greens. Madness

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:11pm
My god.... if theres is a Labour,greens, Maori  co-lab it will be pretty much the final straw for a lot of people. 
I love this country.... But watching it getting torn to bits by these complete f-ckwits is truly heartbreaking. 

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:03pm
Well, first, editorial/typographical/grammatic standards are poor but have been for quite a while.  Example, the "Grauniad".

Secondly, technical accuracy has been a bit crap for decades.  I have had input to a number of engineering-related articles in NZ media in the last few decades and, well, you just give up: you say this, "they" are not technical at all and write "that", and chinese whispers etc etc/  What comes out comes out.

Finally, a bit surprised from teh general comments on this forum that NZ First is not polling higher :).  Nor ACT

Date Posted: 15 May 2023 at 11:04am
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives.  Looks like another election of voting for the least bad party, don't think there is a best.

Posted By: BananaBoat
Date Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

[QUOTE=v8-coupe]Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives
The Tamaki couple (Destiny) starting up their own party.... yeah boi   
Will be interesting how that turns out.... might be another 5% king maker in the making

Date Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

[QUOTE=v8-coupe]Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives
The Tamaki couple (Destiny) starting up their own party.... yeah boi   
Will be interesting how that turns out.... might be another 5% king maker in the making

I saw that, an umbrella coalition of disaffected loonies, is there enough tin foil in NZ for this lot?

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:56am
Whatever side of the political compass you lie on, it's important to try and emphasise with the other side. You may disagree on policy or implementation but as soon as we start identifying too much with a political party and calling the other side f-wits, we may as well move to the States, as that's what we become. 

For the record I tend to vote left wing, but not too far left, as I work in education. Te Parti Maori for example has some pretty bad ideas in their education policy mixed in with a few good. ACT has some good ideas in theirs mixed with some bad. Both I assume mean well, and legitimately think that their policies will help the country. Both are probably partly wrong, based on my experience in a classroom. 

Posted By: muchalls
Date Posted: 17 May 2023 at 6:13pm
The Heralds website is littered with spelling errors…

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Whatever side of the political compass you lie on, it's important to try and emphasise with the other side. You may disagree on policy or implementation but as soon as we start identifying too much with a political party and calling the other side f-wits, we may as well move to the States, as that's what we become. 

For the record I tend to vote left wing, but not too far left, as I work in education. Te Parti Maori for example has some pretty bad ideas in their education policy mixed in with a few good. ACT has some good ideas in theirs mixed with some bad. Both I assume mean well, and legitimately think that their policies will help the country. Both are probably partly wrong, based on my experience in a classroom. 

Possibly mean “empathise” versus “emphasise”.
As an example: I strongly emphasise my right to support free thinking and less government and lower taxes and generally less govt interference in lots of things. But I empathise with efforts to improve child poverty, the health system, education and also helping small businesses and private landlords (and their tenants) being adversely impacted by present government.

Date Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

The Heralds website is littered with spelling errors…

And the same paragraphs and sentences repeated underneath each other.
Many incorrect words used as well.
I think they have done away with inhouse proof readers and now out source to a third party.
Probably in India. LOL

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Possibly mean “empathise” versus “emphasise”.
As an example: I strongly emphasise my right to support free thinking and less government and lower taxes and generally less govt interference in lots of things. But I empathise with efforts to improve child poverty, the health system, education and also helping small businesses and private landlords (and their tenants) being adversely impacted by present government.

Yup. That's what happens when I don't proofread. Smile

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:25am
There's even an error in the title of this thread. Oversight vs oversite. 30 odd posts over a week - no one noticed or no one cared. 

-------------
treat fish like fish

Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

There's even an error in the title of this thread. Oversight vs oversite. 30 odd posts over a week - no one noticed or no one cared. 

Well funny you should say that but oversite is in fact used correctly in this instance. Oversight means to miss something, but can be used in this instance also. Oversite in this context means to supervise.

-------------

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:15pm
Hmm. Debatable perhaps, but not on a fishing site. Sight. Cite. Funny old language English. Explain to a farmer he needs to run a plough through a rough paddock. Or the 'it's' rules.

-------------
treat fish like fish

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Well funny you should say that but oversite is in fact used correctly in this instance. Oversight means to miss something, but can be used in this instance also. Oversite in this context means to supervise.

Are you sure about that smudge?  Happy to be corrected but I can find no support for oversite meaning to supervise.  On the other hand oversight can mean to supervise.

Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:25pm
Yes indeedy FA, oversite & oversight are both ok in this instance as I said earlier. Trust me  just like you can trust our esteemed leader and PM Mr Chippy Big smile. I'll see what I can find to back up my case. Or otherwise

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:28pm
Ahhhh, here we go. I know the interwebby is notoriously unreliable but I'll take this:   https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight" rel="nofollow - https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight

-------------

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Ahhhh, here we go. I know the interwebby is notoriously unreliable but I'll take this:   https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight" rel="nofollow - https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/oversite-vs-oversight

Perhaps you need to read that again smudge.  I don't believe it supports your view. 

Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:24pm
Well you may just be right there FA! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:48pm

No one is getting paid to proof read these threads, unlike the Herald which is a professional publication.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 19 May 2023 at 4:18am
The herald has become a tabloid full of trashy and irrelevant news.
They will print anything that sensationalises otherwise irrelevant gossip.
And the cheeky buggers want you to pay for it.
IMO, most of the news is irrelevant information.
Like junk food.

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Print Page | Close Window