Print Page | Close Window

No Indian summer this year guys.

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137628
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:13pm

Topic: No Indian summer this year guys.
Posted By: Kandrew
Subject: No Indian summer this year guys.
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 11:15am
Well doesn’t look like we are going have an extended fishing season this year like the experts predicted.

At least the greens will be happy

Replies:
Posted By: GregS
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 12:49pm
Yep just checked my favorite weather websites and strong east to north winds for next 7 days, I thought La Nina was supposed to be fading.
The last year has had me thinking of shifting from the east coast to west.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:03pm
Yep more crap coming. The issue I have is not getting the use out of my 6.0 mtr tinny.

I’ve been thinking of getting a smaller boat I can handle myself but with all this sh-t weather I’d get out even less.

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:06pm
good time to re wire,its like birds next in behind the panel,

-------------
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:28pm
seeing how kkb camera is out,this seems good

https://takapunaboating.org.nz/webcam" rel="nofollow - https://takapunaboating.org.nz/webcam

-------------

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:44pm
Yes the only positive is these conditions reduce recreational pressure on fish stocks. Worst summer weather I can recall, and the flood aside, very persistent high winds.
Having said that on those 10 or so days we did manage to get out in the boat since xmas, the fishing was amazingly good, especially on gamefish.
I am spending this afternoon in garage re-rewiring the sounder in my kayak. Will also do bit of tackle maintenance including taking reels off the game rods and lubricating the fittings and reassembling, as don’t think I will be using again this season.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:44pm
Just got another ute load of firewood cut and down comes the rain.  Looks like it is going to be wet firewood now. On the positive side four days in on covid and I've been well enough to collect, cut and stack firewood. Covid you pussy! Big smile

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 3:12pm
Yeah funny I have actually been thinking of down sizing my boat because on the few days where we have had a weather window my normal fishing mates have had something on. So I get a smaller easy to use boat and I’ll be able to chuck it in and go.

Problem with a smaller boat though is the amount of usable weather windows get less, at least with a larger boat you can still go and take the chance if the wind gets up.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yeah funny I have actually been thinking of down sizing my boat because on the few days where we have had a weather window my normal fishing mates have had something on. So I get a smaller easy to use boat and I’ll be able to chuck it in and go.

Problem with a smaller boat though is the amount of usable weather windows get less, at least with a larger boat you can still go and take the chance if the wind gets up.
Went for a ferry trip to Kawau island from Sandspit Yesterday,and yep there were 2 or 3 that battled across from sandspit,meanwhile the ferry taking a few green ones over the top.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 4:26pm

Maybe have a look at smaller pontoon boat either stabi, osprey or senator, in 4- 5 mtr boat and there won’t be an issue in any conditions you would really want to be out there in and good safety margin if gets rough. Also relatively easy to manage by yourself, and still good to fish with two POB. And the options where you can launch that size of boat increase massively.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Maybe have a look at smaller pontoon boat either stabi, osprey or senator, in 4- 5 mtr boat and there won’t be an issue in any conditions you would really want to be out there in and good safety margin if gets rough. Also relatively easy to manage by yourself, and still good to fish with two POB. And the options where you can launch that size of boat increase massively.
That’s what I was thinking Shane, looking at a frewza from a safety standpoint when out by myself. I can launch my tinny myself but still nice to have someone on board.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 6:42pm
This is a tricky one. First - you need to know where you are likely to be fishing, type of fishing, launch conditions and prevailing weather etc. This takes a few years to figure out.
Then you are in a position to make a choice. My 5.3 tinnie is as big as I can launch on my own in the surf. It is not just the launch, but getting the tractor back up the beach etc before my boat gets washed away on to the rocks. It is big enough to take on most surf I would be prepared to cross to fish, and 2-3 POB is no problem. If the weather is too crappy for my boat, it is for most everyone else too. Happy to stay home. 
Then there are the bigger boats. But you need a crew. Not negotiable. This limits my fishing. And the extra weather they could stay out in, I am not really interested. I am out in 90% of the fishable conditions. Many time, the only boat out. They can have the rest. I don't do really ugly.
Then there are smaller boats. Easier to launch but again the weather/surf window narrows more - so less fishing again.
When you know the answers, there is a definite sweet spot to hit - for what you plan to do. 
I would not trade my 5.3m tinnies for anything.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

This is a tricky one. First - you need to know where you are likely to be fishing, type of fishing, launch conditions and prevailing weather etc. This takes a few years to figure out.
Then you are in a position to make a choice. My 5.3 tinnie is as big as I can launch on my own in the surf. It is not just the launch, but getting the tractor back up the beach etc before my boat gets washed away on to the rocks. It is big enough to take on most surf I would be prepared to cross to fish, and 2-3 POB is no problem. If the weather is too crappy for my boat, it is for most everyone else too. Happy to stay home. 
Then there are the bigger boats. But you need a crew. Not negotiable. This limits my fishing. And the extra weather they could stay out in, I am not really interested. I am out in 90% of the fishable conditions. Many time, the only boat out. They can have the rest. I don't do really ugly.
Then there are smaller boats. Easier to launch but again the weather/surf window narrows more - so less fishing again.
When you know the answers, there is a definite sweet spot to hit - for what you plan to do. 
I would not trade my 5.3m tinnies for anything.
Alan

Yeah very good point you make there, something to consider.

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:07pm
Its frustrating.  I retired last October so any day with decent weather is OK, but there have been few of those.  Managed two trips in the last week, but both bait  & berley where I can find shelter, rather than preferred spots to far away.

Solo launch fine, but normally sheltered launch site.

Plus brew beer on the bad days.  Plus drink it on good and bad days

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:24am
This has been my least boating and fishing year since I got my boat 15+ years ago - a combination of very limited weather windows clashing with work and social functions = very limited time on the water :(

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:17am
What a **** summer and it's been our first year of boat ownership! Still done 31 launches and clocked up 105 hours which is respectable for a weekend warrior. 

Done a lot of bait and burley trips in Whangarei Harbour, mainly to entertain my young son and his mates. I don't really fish myself on these days, but enjoy taking the boat out and getting them on to some fish. 

Re: Boat size. Everything about boat choice is personal. I don't think there are rights and wrongs. When it came to it, I asked myself if I really wanted to be out on the ocean in conditions that a 5.6m boat couldn't handle comfortably. The answer was no, so my decision was made. That said, I don't do bar crossings and only dip my toes in to game fishing. I guess there is always the possibility that you get caught out by the weather, but hopefully not so badly that you suffer any more than a bumpy ride home and the odd splash of water! 

Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 3:07pm

Yep more crap coming. The issue I have is not getting the use out of my 6.0 mtr tinny.

I’ve been thinking of getting a smaller boat I can handle myself but with all this sh-t weather I’d get out even less.
Think carefully about it, Having moved from the v13 (solo no issue) being cramped,legs spent 80% tucked in and not a great ability to move. Now bigger vessel(solo no issue) but being able to stand/move around,no fear of falling in and still able to go diving and get onboard no issues.

As you said "Weather windows are limited" Big smile Yeah I've got soft or sensible?

Managed to find fault on trim gauge with this weather, been almost 12 months since working

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:23pm
Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.

Posted By: emmawriter
Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:33pm
Indian summer refers to a period of warm, dry, and sunny weather in autumn, usually after a spell of cold weather. However, weather patterns can be unpredictable and may not always follow expert predictions.

It's important to keep in mind that weather conditions can change rapidly and frequently, and it's always a good idea to check the latest weather forecasts before planning any outdoor activities like fishing. Additionally, it's crucial to prioritize safety and always follow any weather-related advisories or warnings issued by local authorities.

I hope you can still enjoy some fishing during the current season and make the most of the weather conditions that are present. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Powered By Fishingsize.com

Date Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:11pm

Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.

Yes I am a big bugger and I would fit a small runabout. The weather has been a problem this year but other things have got in the way as well. One of the problems I forget about is I really only lure fish these days which counts a lot of my old fishing mates out who still bait fish.

I might have to go back to the dark side and break out the pillies.

Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Keep your current boat and get a 2nd (smaller) boat or ask your fishing mate to get a smaller boat.

Good idea, or a Jetski)

Posted By: rockz
Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 6:34pm

Yes I am a big bugger and I would fit a small runabout. The weather has been a problem this year but other things have got in the way as well. One of the problems I forget about is I really only lure fish these days which counts a lot of my old fishing mates out who still bait fish.

Now you're just being silly Wink

Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Now you're just being silly Wink
Yes getting silly happens from time to time, just venting about this crap weather. long way out to 50 mtr mark to fish sliders in a 4.2 mtr tinny.

Posted By: rowboat bob
Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:40pm
There is fantastic fishing to be had in any sheltered water close in at the moment. We were pulling in 50 and 60cm fish in 5m of water recently just tucked behind a headland,  a few hundred metres from the ramp,  while it was howling 35kn out at sea. I cant give out the exact location , but most sheltered shallows near deeper water with current flow will hold surprising numbers of good fish. 

Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

There is fantastic fishing to be had in any sheltered water close in at the moment. We were pulling in 50 and 60cm fish in 5m of water recently just tucked behind a headland,  a few hundred metres from the ramp,  while it was howling 35kn out at sea. I cant give out the exact location , but most sheltered shallows near deeper water with current flow will hold surprising numbers of good fish. 

That's been the case in Whangarei Harbour all summer. Limestone Island, Tamaterau, Takahiwai, Parua Bay, Urquhart's Bay and the harbour entrance have all consistently produced good fish in shallow water. 

Date Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:24pm
 Yeah and the rougher it is out at sea,  the better those sheltered harbour spots fish.

Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 5:30pm
Yeah your right the fish are in close but for me it’s about getting the time in the first place and with the crap weather as well it’s really narrowed down the opportunities.

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 9:16pm
Been using our little Takacat more and more these days. A lot of fun to fish from but defiantly got its limitations.
Pros; Super lite, piece of piss to roll down to waters edge and launch.
        Cheep to run, uses bugger all fuel.
        No trailer to tow.... I can lift the whole thing up and sit it on the back of Ranger. Deflate it when  
        your done. Roll it up and stash it in the shed.
        Its a hell of a lot of fun to fish from. Super quiet...like no noise, perfect for stealthy softbait in 
        shallows.
        Great for kids to boost around on and learn the art of tiller steering in a small lightweight stable
        boat.
       Enjoy the smell of 2 stroke and reminis over the good ol days before the complete twots in power 
      ban them
Cons; You get wet if its anything other that flat calm
         Sunburn is a bit of an issue too.
         Storage aint great..... you have to pack real lite.
        Fish spines are a real problem..... we use a cooler bag on floor of boat to protect the deck.
        A landing net is very handy.
        You get a sore arse from sitting. Standing up is tricky unless its very flat... after a couple of hours 
        start of feel a bit like Freddy Murcury after a big night on the party pills.
All in all the mighty little Taka has been an absolute blast, caught tons of fish , dived off it -you name it.
Great back up boat for a weekend away etc. when your done its simply bagged up and stored in shed. No hassles.If your thinking about one just do it.... They really are fun. Truekit is probably a better boat.. but more cost too.

Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:04pm
My point was , that it is during the crap weather that the little sheltered spots up the harbours fish the best. On the latest trip we were the only trailer at the ramp, didn't get out of the five knot zone , yet got a bin of decent fish in an hour and a half.

Posted By: GregS
Date Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:34pm
I'm with you on that one Bob, I've got a 6m and 12ft tinny and live at Mt Maunganui so have a harbour as well as outside fishing and am very grateful to have the harbour with this weather pattern, fishing the harbour in my dinghy keeps me sane and over summer and autumn it can be good.
I do enjoy the days out in the ocean in my bigger boat more though, more scenic and its a better escape with greater potential for that special fish.
I read in the paper this week that the Met. experts are still forecasting el nino to kick in over winter, be nice to have a change   

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 04 May 2023 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

That's been the case in Whangarei Harbour all summer. Limestone Island, Tamaterau, Takahiwai, Parua Bay, Urquhart's Bay and the harbour entrance have all consistently produced good fish in shallow water. 

Might need a trip down your way MB - Tutukaka is pretty exposed.  Where do you suggest launching?

Date Posted: 05 May 2023 at 12:57pm
There are public boat ramps at Parua Bay and Onerahi by Limestone Island. If you want the lower harbour, there is an easy beach launch at Little Munro Bay. Not sure how much longer the fish will hang around, so do it sooner rather later!

Print Page | Close Window