Print Page | Close Window

WHAT can I BUY 35-40' liveaboard sailboat-25-30k?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137547
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:54pm

Topic: WHAT can I BUY 35-40' liveaboard sailboat-25-30k?
Posted By: Enlightenment
Subject: WHAT can I BUY 35-40' liveaboard sailboat-25-30k?
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 7:43pm
PLEASE share with me the benefit of your combined salt dog wisdom and help me from making rookie mistakes when purchasing the sailboat that hopefully will become a comfortable home and base for adventures, making new friendships and journeys around New Zealand and possibly other parts of the South Pacific.
I love writing and photography and wish to realize my as yet unfulfilled creative aspirations during my retirement years. 
Having rather modest financial resources I want to make a smart purchase of a 35 to 40+ foot boat that doesn't require significant investment to get cracking and wont break the bank maintaining. Hopefully I can avoid too many obstacles and embark my journey exploring photographing and writing, living in the beautiful coastal New Zealand environments, my front yard the beautiful ocean and my back garden the stunning New Zealand coastline.
I have a budget of around $25 to 35,000.......  the sailboat must be suitable to live aboard and single hand and have the storage capacity for an insatiable magpie, driftwood odd shaped stones, trinkets and tools etc.
I'm 62 years old and pretty fit and able. So I'm not afraid of the boat that needs a bit of muscle from time to time.
I have building experience and will like to do all my own maintenance as much as possible.
So that brings me to study the market and I see seems to be a buyers market at the moment.
I find that very exciting boat prices being very affordable!
Inexperience and impatience can end up being very expensive, and probably my main obstacle to achieving the retirement I hope for.
You guys know a hell of a lot more than me about making a smart purchase.
I will be eternally grateful for any advice I can get, I got a lot to learn and I'm all ears!

So what do you think what we do during my situation what kind of boat would you purchase.
I want to live on the boat solo and have friends and family on occasion.
Thanks again in advance for any advice!

Replies:
Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 8:13pm
Check out this blokes videos, hes doing exactly what you want to do https://youtu.be/dMVL3_XJzlE" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/dMVL3_XJzlE

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:15pm
good place for your questiona a few live aboards here.

https://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php?/forums%20" rel="nofollow - https://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php?/forums

-------------
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:33pm
Hey Spin King, yaaaaa the YouTube dude is maybe a little less sporty and arty than my approach to exploring stuff  photography and making videos haha.... Love his boat though.
Anyone know what size and make of boat the salty dog guy in YouTube sails in?
I would like to get something like that if its affordable,
Should I try to get a Glass boat or would you recommend glass over kauri?
I heard not to buy Ferro Cement, what build material do you think will get me the most boat for my budget?
Also thought about steel hull but I have very little idea.
Basically I am seeking out advice and will purchase based on the best information I can get.
I got until the end of June to research and buy my little slice of maritime real-estate.
I arrive back home from Asia to Auck NZ middle of April and will purchase a runabout Van and throw a mattress in it and hit the road heading north visiting marinas and talking to anyone with a smile, looking for-sale signs on boats and moorings, not that moorings have for sale signs. They have free ALE signs, right?
Without knowing much about the future, my main priorities appear to be having a spacious boat to call home and being able to single hand the boat. 
Out and out performance are probably less critical as I intend to spend most of my time writing and video editing and exploring and photographing sea and land from moorings. I prefer to spend 2 weeks to 2 months in 1 place rather than circumnavigate NZ and the pacific islands in a mad hurry. That way the adventure is a genuine life experience seen through the lens of the camera and the written ramblings of yours truly.
Anyway, thanks for putting up with me up to here and I prey some of you will come to the party and give me some pure gold advice and guide me toward making a good choice of boat.

Please save me from buying a couple of parkercrafts and tying them together with string a 4x2s.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:37pm
Pcj
I like that, it cracked me up. Approve

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Classic

And Adam built a parkercraft Cat

Print Page | Close Window