Print Page | Close Window

Matapouri bay fishing from 9’ rib

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137419
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:48am

Topic: Matapouri bay fishing from 9’ rib
Posted By: Richie99
Subject: Matapouri bay fishing from 9’ rib
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:28pm
Hey guys I’m headed out to matapouri for a week in feb, and I’ve just bought a little rib (no outboard just oars) and would like to know some spots just in the bay that aren’t hard to get to if possible 

Replies:
Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:54pm
Just be aware that there is something like a bar across the bay. Usually, not a problem, but with the easterlies we've been having, it might be an issue. As for fishing, haven't fished there for a long time, but I've never done well inside the bay itself. Just outside they bay and all good. You don't have to fish close to the rocks. There will often be baitfish schools in open water with snapper and kingfish not far behind.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 5:05pm
I’ve heard there might be mussels in the bay, Is that true?

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
I've just returned from a family holiday in that coastal area (non-fishing) and I can confirm what MB said. The beach at Matapouri has been significantly affected by the major easterly storms in the past few weeks.

The sands have shifted and there have been big seas with big waves breaking at the river entrance. As of a week ago, there was a big gutter and a couple of rips on the main beach, which isn't normal. The potential cyclone in the next week moving towards NZ will keep that swell situation going. Obviously if there's a period of westerly winds and little swell, it'll be very different to the current situation.

I'm not aware of your experience level, but you will need to be very cautious about going out of the river and into the open sea with only oars - especially if you end up with adverse conditions popping up. The rocks are very rugged. I've fished a lot off the shore on the outside of the northern headland when you could access that area (before the rahui) and caught a lot of kahawai, a few snapper, and saw big sharks swimming past and the odd kingie. The water was seldom tranquil, that's for sure.

You will not be able to row back up the river (at least the first hundred metres or so) on an outgoing tide. I guess you could walk it up the edge?

I don't believe there are mussels readily accessible in the bay - like most places in NZ, if there were, they've been stripped. Maybe if you are able to dive 2m below the waterline...I see guys with catch bags walking around the rocks on the eastern side, maybe after kina as well.

If you are just after a feed of pannies, maybe Tutukaka Harbour is a better option?

As a matter of interest, I saw a guy tow a RIB along Sandy Bay at low tide using a quad and launch at the eastern corner where the waves are smallest.

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 9:46pm
Took a while to be able to get the login to work to post, personally I'd ditch the oars and jump in the car and go for a fish off the bricks down by the tutukaka lighthouse. Park up at landowners lane at the end in the car park. Under the water have seen some impressive fish along there over the years. 

I'm sure MB probably has given this a nudge at some point from above the water and potentially would have more insight? 

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:13pm
Yeah, the lighthouse is a great spot, obviously keep an eye on tides. I've only caught kahawai there, but they were donkeys and I suck at land based fishing! Other people catch snapper and kingies there on a regular basis.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:25am
Thanks for the info guys, I’ll have a closer look around when I’m there and decide on what I’m gonna do as it’s a family holiday so we can’t go everywhere to go fishing, but I’ll let you know how I get on

Print Page | Close Window