Print Page | Close Window

What weird conditions ......

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137009
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:34pm

Topic: What weird conditions ......
Posted By: bazza
Subject: What weird conditions ......
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 4:15pm
Anyone else experience surreal atmospheric conditions this morning the likes of almost
being on another planet.

Have family staying & was asked to arrange a fishing trip so dully obliged despite the fact would not usually go out on a weekend but was the only time available.

Started prepping about 4 . 45 & could but wonder about the unusual conditions, quite erie in fact ... pitch black & still as a church mouse ... ideal for fishing it would seem a belief supported by the weather forecast.

Once underway could not help but be aware of the intense darkness & silence but weather forecast was still reading a max 7 knts NE so no worries ... until we arrived at the Gulf Harbour ramp that was, only to be greeted by a nasty SEasterly ... began to realise why we had encountered so many boats boats heading away from the ramp.

Was then we noticed the largest rising moon we have ever seen along with a sky pitch black in parts, quite settled in parts, a nasty onshore black NE raging supplemented by a huge rising moon in areas where the sky was still.

In any event rather than risk an uncomfortable mornings fishing opted to join the others heading for home ... what was it ... nothing I have ever experienced before.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Replies:
Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 4:46pm
Totally got caught out despite forecast. It was vile outside Whangarei Harbour this morning. Southeasterly was just horrible. Thought we might push on to the Hen & Chicks, but gave up after a short distance

Lots of boats turning tail and milling about in the harbour which generally doesn't fish well at this time of year. 

To make matters worse, I promised a fish to a mate who doesn't get the opportunity to get out very often. At least we achieved that before heading back in to the harbour. I caught a similar size fish.

Saw the occupants of a Mac 320 who were soaked from head-to-toe. I'm guessing they've had better days.

Just finished the cleanup and was cursing the whole time. More time washing down than actually fishing today Angry

Still, we got home safely which is the main thing and we got a feed.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 7:40pm
Interesting update from my mate in the photo:

Today is one of a big Korean celebration day as Thanksgiving. Because it follows the Lunar calendar the celebration day falls  on a day with the full moon. I have read just now a new article from Korean website saying the full moon this time is the biggest ever in 100 years. That explains it.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 7:49pm
Nice report MB and that is a nice pic. The weather at this time of the year is challenging alright

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Print Page | Close Window