Print Page | Close Window

Fishfinder + cellphone charts

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136949
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:02am

Topic: Fishfinder + cellphone charts
Posted By: Metal Float
Subject: Fishfinder + cellphone charts
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 11:58am
It's been a while since I've looked at fish/chat combos and am now in the market for a new 5'. I see both Garmin and Lowrance have migated (mostly) to a finder with self mapping. great if you're always going to the same area but harder to look up areas to explore. Anyway, looks like the option is to use a marine cahrt on the cellphone to target areas and then the finder on arrival. Is this what small boats are now doing? If so, what recommendations do folks have for marine Apps? I see Navonics have an App. 

Replies:
Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 12:18pm
The Navionics app works well, but I think most people would still have detailed maps on their fish finder unit. May cost extra with some models, but well worth it. If budget is the issue, then the Navionics app is a good solution.

Posted By: Mc Tool
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 2:20pm
I have a lowrance hook reveal 9ts. I bought a reveal card because the person who sold me the fish finder recommended it but after installing it I cant tell the difference between the card and the pre-installed maps the thing came with . So Im wondering if I could use the card in my phone ......instead of sitting in my boat in the driveway using the fish finder ( I dont care what the neighbours think 😁) to suss out likely good spots .
Also I bought some old boys fishing kit ......what do you use limerick hooks for .....and dont nobody say " catching fish ". I have about 100 in various smallish sizes .

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 5:49am
Have you got the right settings on in your Lowrance? Normally you have to tell it where to source the charts from and which layers you want on, high res bathy, reveal etc. It's very likely that the Lowrance is still using the standard charts not the reveal card.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

Also I bought some old boys fishing kit ......what do you use limerick hooks for .....and dont nobody say " catching fish ". I have about 100 in various smallish sizes .

I think limericks would be good for tied on baits or little cubes stacked up the shank. They would likely offer some bite resistance due to the long shank. I'm pretty sure they are a fine wire hook so I wouldn't be too keen to use them if there are biggish snapper around - I think they would crush quite easily. They would be a good option for light tackle, especially if barracouta turn up.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 3:14pm

This is the map select options . The navonics is mega basic , the lowrance is way better but I was told the c-map reveal was the best....but the sales guff did say the reveal was pre-installed and I think this is the lowrance on the menu selection , but near as I can tell its the same as the c-map card I paid nearly 300 duckin follars for.
Anyhow , can I put this card in my phone ( it looks like it will fit ).
And , I bought the card wanting the fantastic bathymetrics it boasted.......but not, as I thought, the whole of NZ .....certainly not Riverton .
😁Ya know ya sit in the boat , looking at the screen wondering wtf all the icons mean , wife says "#uck this , just chuck a line in , we'll soon know if they're fish "😆

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Mc Tool Mc Tool wrote:

I think limericks would be good for tied on baits or little cubes stacked up the shank. They would likely offer some bite resistance due to the long shank. I'm pretty sure they are a fine wire hook so I wouldn't be too keen to use them if there are biggish snapper around - I think they would crush quite easily. They would be a good option for light tackle, especially if barracouta turn up.

Yes , they are quite fine , I get the impression they would be for small fish , dunno why I keep thinkin flounders . I spose the thing to do is to see what I can catch with them .😁

Print Page | Close Window