Forum Name: The Kitchen - Seafood Recipes
Forum Description: Share your favourite seafood recipes here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136328
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2022 at 7:58am

Topic: Barrel Smoker
Posted By: RockCrashing
Subject: Barrel Smoker
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:34am
Two weeks ago I did an annual boat service. While in the workshop i noticed bunch of empty 55gal steel drums. When asked what they planned to do with them ?... Scrap, mate !
Well welcome to my home made pit barrel charcoal smoker/grill. 
Done three cooks on it already, and the flavour and the smoke ring in the meat have been much more intense, great outcome.
I haven't learnt how to control properly the burning temp yet, experimenting by blowing air through the vent hole using No1's hairdryer :)  
For charcoal basket I cut a 9kg LPG bottle and some rebar for hanging the meat. Lots of stuff in the refrigerator dying for their turn in the queue to go to the barrel ;) 

P.s. Wash this with lots & lots of beer & wine Wink

Replies:
Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 12:11pm
It all looks pretty yum to me, good job

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 12:42pm
awesome well done on repurposing, I reckon barrel smokers are great. By looks of results, yours works well.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 3:55pm
Very cool

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:18pm
The barrel been used few times now and it cooks the meat very nicely. Here are some pic from recent cooks, roast chicken, tandoori chicken, Cantonese crispy roast pork-siew yoke.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:29pm
and now the barrel got a lid and cooking grills 

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:42pm
What’s the skin on the chicken like, I find mine chicken skin a bit rubbery sometimes. What sort of temps are you smoking at?

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 5:19pm
Looks real nice.Must ask the dumb question though.The barrel being ex lube??Did it have a plastic liner in it ,if not how did you remove the oil residue?? Just burnt it? 
Looks simple enough that I could have a crack at(still using the old portable,saw dust,meths one)does the job ort of.

-------------
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 6:06pm
The skin on the chicken is ok, not to rubbery, stretchy. Before smoking/grilling i dry the skin and brush it with little clarified butter, apply dry rub (Soft COQ from Rum and Que, very nice on chicken) live  those birds in room temp for 30min before grilling. In the last 15-30 min before finish cooking i do drop the birds on cooking grill plate siting on top of the charcoal basket to crisp up the skin. Temperature ... i realy don't know how to control the internal temp in the barrel. I just put two probes in the meat and wait for the magic to happen LOL
How do you control temp in a barrel?
Btw. to cook the chicken i do 1 charcoal chimney.

Some more pics from the last two cooks 

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 6:25pm
PCJ, after cutting the lid off, it was very clean, used whole 200l storm water and detergent to wash it and 10kg of charcoal to burn it. Was burning for two days, little worry not to set my home on fire, lucky did't hv much wind. I definitely recommend it, cheep, easy with great flavour of the meat and great smoke ring Wink  

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

PCJ, after cutting the lid off, it was very clean, used whole 200l storm water and detergent to wash it and 10kg of charcoal to burn it. Was burning for two days, little worry not to set my home on fire, lucky did't hv much wind. I definitely recommend it, cheep, easy with great flavour of the meat and great smoke ring Wink  
Thanks 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:30pm

The skin on the chicken is ok, not to rubbery, stretchy. Before smoking/grilling i dry the skin and brush it with little clarified butter, apply dry rub (Soft COQ from Rum and Que, very nice on chicken) live  those birds in room temp for 30min before grilling. In the last 15-30 min before finish cooking i do drop the birds on cooking grill plate siting on top of the charcoal basket to crisp up the skin. Temperature ... i realy don't know how to control the internal temp in the barrel. I just put two probes in the meat and wait for the magic to happen LOL
How do you control temp in a barrel?
Btw. to cook the chicken i do 1 charcoal chimney.

Some more pics from the last two cooks 

Thanks mate I can live with a bit of stretchy skin, looks awesome.

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:52pm
I used to hot smoke ‘couta commercially in Africa on a 44 gal. drum using pieces of oak & a wet hessian bag as lid. Worked like a dream for many years.

To adjust the temperature, I adjusted the height of the fish in the barrel i.e. the distance from the heat.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:20am
Thumbs Up Brings back lot memories in the backyard growing up

Old school 50/60s 45 gal smoker before the upright cabinet clothes dryers came into fashion.
Holes in the side made with cnr of the hatchet, steel bars thru.
Small air / excess square hole in the bottom and the flap kept to lean up against as a door, keep air flow to min.
A small but well heap wood burnt back to embers, then the smoking wood chips over.
Hang as above pics
Heavy potato sack over the top..
Adding a few handful of smoker wood chips and chunks every few hrs.
Smoked long and slow

There was no need for a flame (pre lpg burner days) once the wood embered to charcoal it was self sustaining...

Last couple smokes in my new bigger smoker, the lpg burner turned right down,had blown out... the cake tin with small holes top and bottom on small stand, of chips / chunks kept alive nps for 5 to 6 hrs.

Shame have to add this for some... the burner has a heat protection sensor that turns off gas supply if flame goes out... its not going to blow up

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 10:49am
Has burning nutsLOLreduced taintness from burning manuka??and hanging instead of racks,does that allow better run off from moisture. As I find in flat liquid gathers may be the cause of tainting??

for a drum ,bottle of red is the exchange rate.Showed wife and she is impressed .

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

I used to hot smoke ‘couta commercially in Africa on a 44 gal. drum using pieces of oak & a wet hessian bag as lid. Worked like a dream for many years.

To adjust the temperature, I adjusted the height of the fish in the barrel i.e. the distance from the heat.
Interesting did you sell it to the local market, never had couta was it nice smoked.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Interesting did you sell it to the local market, never had couta was it nice smoked.

Coutta (snoek) is a local delicacy in the southern regions of South Africa. Can be used in many forms besides smoked. Fresh on a bbq (including basted with garlic butter or apricot jam). Salted then wind dried for preservation (‘gesoute snoek’) , and used as the base ingredient in a traditional sautéed dish with tomatoes, onions and potatoes (“smoorsnoek”). Smoked it also makes an excellent pate. I used to sell smoked & pate countrywide in NZ to ex-pats & Kiwis for a few years until the demand and the health regulations got the better of me and my other full-time job.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:54pm

Coutta (snoek) is a local delicacy in the southern regions of South Africa. Can be used in many forms besides smoked. Fresh on a bbq (including basted with garlic butter or apricot jam). Salted then wind dried for preservation (‘gesoute snoek’) , and used as the base ingredient in a traditional sautéed dish with tomatoes, onions and potatoes (“smoorsnoek”). Smoked it also makes an excellent pate. I used to sell smoked & pate countrywide in NZ to ex-pats & Kiwis for a few years until the demand and the health regulations got the better of me and my other full-time job.
Fresh on a bbq basted with garlic butter sounds like the go but don’t know about the apricot jam.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:08pm

Fresh on a bbq basted with garlic butter sounds like the go but don’t know about the apricot jam.
I realy would like very much to see some pictures Wink

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:17pm
There you go - couta with apricot glaze.
Many recipes available via Google for those longing for a piece of appetising couta😉

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm

There you go - couta with apricot glaze.
Many recipes available via Google for those longing for a piece of appetising couta😉
Very nice mate, what fish we catch in NZ would be close

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Exported to South Africa by container load.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Expected to South Africa by container load.

Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked    

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:05pm

Kandrew, the dreaded Barracouta is the fish in question (thyrsites atun). Expected to South Africa by container load.

Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked    

Rockcrashing, Couta condition is best when caught in months without an R - May to August. I used to buy it wholesale in 20 kg cartons as skin on fillets.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:14pm
Smaller ones tend not to have them.

-------------

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm
just eat the worms too. My old man calls it fish spaghetti. They just eat fish.

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 3:39am
Ok so the Gamily brought me one of these,now how do you use it??no instuction manual,goes on about water in bowl and burning charcoal. Is it loose charcoal or brick type??once burning add soaked wood chips.Got some old fish in freezer that I am going to waste in it,Do you just prepare fish as normal,light the fire getting smoking first and wait till it dies down a bit??add fish?? how long would you leave it in for and will brown off. Only smoked via portable smoker and does a reasonable job.Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 10:07am
An aquatance used my marinate, method a couple weeks back.. I did not know he was going to use one of those.. He too also 1st time after hot smokes portable smokers etc.
He said came out bit dry but flavour was spot on..
I think was because.
1/ The temps from the coals inside maybe to hot.
2/ internal meat temps took up maybe 3/5 deg too high which resulted in time being extended.

How  times/ temps etc between a 45 gal drum and a sack, cabinet, portable smoker, bbq etc change how to very much. ..
Once have marinate , drying etc sorted, that can be transfered easy between smoking methods.
 Also got to under stand there is a big difference between cooking with smoke and just smoking.

Posted By: Transformations
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Ok so the Gamily brought me one of these,now how do you use it??no instuction manual,goes on about water in bowl and burning charcoal. Is it loose charcoal or brick type??once burning add soaked wood chips.Got some old fish in freezer that I am going to waste in it,Do you just prepare fish as normal,light the fire getting smoking first and wait till it dies down a bit??add fish?? how long would you leave it in for and will brown off. Only smoked via portable smoker and does a reasonable job.Thanks.

Use either loose or briquettes....I have found one of the best around is the cocoshots charcoal, I get it from Gilmours.

Do your fish as you would for any other smoking, I do my coals in one of those fire cans as its quicker. Pour coals into base when heated through then BOILING water in the bowl above! I have found this makes a huge difference with cooking time and keeping moist. Fish on racks and close top. Add chips/sawdust to fire through door on a regular basis to keep smoke content up. I have found that soaked wood chips last the best. Also give the coals a bit of a stir from time to time to help keep them going.

Bit of experimentation depending on fish and thickness but on average a smoke for me will be anywhere from an hour to hour and a half. Oh, the fish on the bottom rack cooks slower so put the skinny bits down thereThumbs Up

Best Ive ever had in this smoker is gurnard....hands downWink

-------------
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it

Posted By: Transformations
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:57pm
Quote "Keith, how do you find quality cuda in NZ? Cos every cuda i've pull up have parricides. Great bait but i wouldn't eat itShocked "

If you get a chance try it smoked....absolutely awesome   

-------------
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 3:48pm
Thanks Transformations. will give it a go this weekend

-------------

Posted By: lawabidingpoacher
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:13am
hey Pcj  , I have just used my barrel same as yours for first time yesterday.. whole brisket on bottom rack and a chicken on the top rack. used charcole for the fire and tea tree pieces about 50mm dia and 150mm long soaked in water for half an hourso they don't catch fire for the smoke.  used about six or seven pieces in total..  chicken 6 hours and brisket 8.. and far to many rums!! temp never went over 50c  on the dial and all was done perfectly... I have 4 snapper fillets on now should be done about 1 ish

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

hey Pcj  , I have just used my barrel same as yours for first time yesterday.. whole brisket on bottom rack and a chicken on the top rack. used charcole for the fire and tea tree pieces about 50mm dia and 150mm long soaked in water for half an hourso they don't catch fire for the smoke.  used about six or seven pieces in total..  chicken 6 hours and brisket 8.. and far to many rums!! temp never went over 50c  on the dial and all was done perfectly... I have 4 snapper fillets on now should be done about 1 ish
Excellent,have some ribs marinating now,was going to use fish,but first time use so waste the ribs,thinking 3hrs,have wood chip soaking too.

Price of charcoal 4kg  $12 and they say to use 3kg??

could be a expensive paste time . Gets me outside though.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:34am
the bag of charcoal that i'm using is a 2kg bag , wasn't full when i got it out yesterday and now done one smoke and on at the moment   , and still enough left easy for one more ! seems once the tea tree is smoldering away it keeps itself going. important not to let catch alight and flame , to much heat..

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:38am
Ok ,so close the top dampner off or just open enough to let a bit of smoke out??

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:47am
i left the dampner closed ( for the brisket and chicken  ) for the first couple of hours  just to keep a bit of heat and smoke build up , then opened to let smoke flow . I know of others who do the opposite ! 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:55am

i left the dampner closed ( for the brisket and chicken  ) for the first couple of hours  just to keep a bit of heat and smoke build up , then opened to let smoke flow . I know of others who do the opposite ! 
Thanks,will post with results,Takeaway across the rd opens at 5.00LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 1:25pm
Hi PCJ, really, really hope you have nice experience cooking on your  new present Wink
Very interested if you have any problem igniting the charcoal? do you hv a charcoal chimney ?
Looking forward to some pic of your smoke Smile

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 1:52pm
we are under way,used lighter fluid get charcoal burning,waith 20 minutes before putting ribs in,will leave for 1hr then add dampened wood chips,Cheated used a ready rubbed on ribs and left overnight..3hrs??

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:09pm
Are you cooking pork ribs ? 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:13pm
trying too.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:28pm
ok, are you going to cook them to the end or are to going to take them out and wrap them in a foil. wrapping them in foil with some honey, brown sugar and some dijonnaise mustard make them nice an tender, flavour to die for. cooking them right true without wrapping, they might be little tough and little dry ...   if you have nice pice of charry wood put on the charcoal  

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:36pm
was thinking of wrapping in foil last 30 minutes and put back in?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:52pm
i know you are know what you doing but have a quick look at one of my favorited channel, have a look, see what you think.btw, I'm always wrapping ribs, they are falling 
of the bone  
http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k3O59Y38jY" rel="nofollow - http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k3O59Y38jY

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 3:16pm
bugger should of watched it first,all a learning curve,like your idea of wrap some goodness in the meat though,been going a little 1.75hrs temp at 75c about thinking another 1 hr take off and wrap??

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 3:40pm
ok, i hope you hv a thick ally foil, what you don't won't is the precious liquid running away. my secret, secret recopy is: i melt butter (amount depends on amount of ribs .... be generous) apple side vinegar, honey, brown sugar and Dijon mustard.  now the smoke is not important only the heat from the charcoal... man i can smell your ribs from my place LOL  
Guess what ... I'm coking tandoori chicken ... again 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:05pm
well the snapper turned out great , just got back from taking some to my mum ( along with some brisket and snapper fillets  and other veges ) i use methalated sprits to start the charcoal , pour a bit on  , leave for a few mins and flick a match in  , then leave for bout 20 min or so. put a few bits of te tree on and away it go's.. when the smoke dies down put more te tree on _ easy as

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:09pm
recently have develop liking to spicy Northern Indian cousin...  

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:11pm
i gotta learn how to post photos

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:11pm
Just wrapped twice in foil with mustard djion in jar and golden syrup,no brown sugar,never mind,will give it 40 minutes and a bourbansouthern food right!. can hardly wait.
Served up with baked potatos and a (she said we must)salad

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:20pm
Really dumb question,do let your coals burnt out or do you put out with water and reuse the good ones later??

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:27pm
hoping your miss will luv the effort. it goes so well with KFC coleslaw 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHaMgoARkcs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHaMgoARkcs

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 4:43pm

Really dumb question,do let your coals burnt out or do you put out with water and reuse the good ones later??

Myself, i always let the charcoal burn out ... it may take some time. Put a nice pice of wood to season you smoker even more Cool 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:16pm
first batch seems moist ,mustard soaked in ,place back for quick warm up,wife happy and ordered chicken for next weekend,

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:32pm
Looks awesome Paul

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:54pm
not knowing how its suppose to taste seems ok by all here,maybe jst not use to charcoal cooking/flavour?? But this a first so only can improve. Thanks Kandrew.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 10:18pm
Well done, looks great. Was raining today, hope you didn't get wet.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:34pm
Got some fish now,little heat but lots of smoke,running just under 50c.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:41pm
Looking forward to see some pic and your feedback on the cook ;)
What fish are you cooking ?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:43pm

Looking forward to see some pic and your feedback on the cook ;)
What fish are you cooking ?
Some old snapper from freezer,filleted ,left skin on,hoping it wont curl

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:50pm
Me thinks if you keep the temp low you will be happy with the outcome ;)

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 5:55pm
small manukau snapper,still moist,about to remove 1hr,taste Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
Looks great, dinner sorted ;)

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
Mouth watering Paul, bread and butter and some aioli with a squirt of lemon juice.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:38pm
served with carrot,broccoli,bok choy,then in a mis celery mushroom onion peppers garlic and ginger with beans pumpkin.

Deboned. Thanks Kandrew and Damn Rockcrushing you have me thinking about a weekend cook.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 6:46pm
wow, you guys eat well... i think soon i'll have to set you up with big barrel smoker LOL

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:04pm

wow, you guys eat well... i think soon i'll have to set you up with big barrel smoker LOL
Until you started posting I had never ever thought about it,Thanks,getting fatter and drinking more,Not complainingBig smileThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:12pm
Mate, some nice drop (beverage go's so well with bbq/smoking)
just ask smudge LOLWink

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:28pm

Mate, some nice drop (beverage go's so well with bbq/smoking)
just ask smudge LOLWink
Might have to get my home brew stout going again.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 8:57pm
Oh no not stout, stout for me = gout

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:23pm
Yesterday received box of beer, courier hv managed to squeeze this thing  in my letter box Shocked

The timing was great as i was running low on beer. 

This was from friend of my Miss to say thanks for taking her on a whole day fishing trip to the Noises.
Fishing was good, hips of small snaps, some trev,
blue cod, and leatherjackets.  Weather was good, coming back was bit choppy.

Back to the beer LOL

What goes with nice drop... well, everything  but decided to do today some (lots) of spicy chicken nibbles. Have to say the barrel smoker/grill is very good.
So the chicken was marinated for very short time(2hrs) in, Nando's Extra Bloody Hot, Culley's Buffalo Wing Sauce, Culley's BBQ Chipotle & Honey and some black pepper. Really recommend this, great snack Wink   

Hope to see some of your smoking/grilling soon Wink

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:29pm
https://culleys.co.nz

check these guys out for sauces,leaves Nandos for dead.Nandos extra is mild compared to some of these sauces.

Carolina number 10.Thumbs Up only at nw as the rest wont stock over number 4.

Might be a mid week smoke,got busy building boat seats.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:17pm
Got some nibles and lamb chops on now,been going for 3hrs covered in  Magic Dust,looking god after 3hrs,now wrapped in tinfoil with carolina num10 on them. Will give it anothe 1hr by she might have the veges done.   Managed to get lawn mowed,rebuild a boat seat and have Len Browns brother .Mr Red

Using a applewood coal from South Africa

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm
Again, well done PCJ, hope you have fun cooking and the taste was great. Never done myself lamb chops on a smoker.Imo Magic Dust is great rub.
Btw. got some fresh Culley's sauces from NW... got #2, #6, & #10...
[email protected] they are hot Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:11am
applewood doesnt have the slight taint that manuka gives,bonu. Yep those saucesThumbs Up  Applewood from SA is on special at our M10  $20 3kg.

Just wondering when I do chicken pieces or fish again,should I make some hooks and hang from top so as to let juices run rather than food soaking in them .

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 1:08pm

applewood doesnt have the slight taint that manuka gives,bonu. Yep those saucesThumbs Up  Applewood from SA is on special at our M10  $20 3kg.

Just wondering when I do chicken pieces or fish again,should I make some hooks and hang from top so as to let juices run rather than food soaking in them .

Pcj, I assume you aren’t smoking on a rack then? I find rack (or multiple racks) with drip tray below works better than hooks. Whole rack has ‘same’ temperature, better than hooks if doing pieces of any length.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm
Pcj, i was in the shop yesterday and did have a look at grill/smoker some that you have. It's small unit and imo hooks won't work well with your setup. I agree with Keith that flat tray, top or bottom will best option for your grill.
But hooks are great...
Nice size pork belly, spatchcock chicken, tandoori on a hanging skewers.
Those i would like to do on hooks or hanging skewers. When you get the bigger barrel then you will have the volume to hang a half a cow in it (well i might exaggerate a bit) 2 rubbits and a turkey LOL  

One more advice, when adding wood to the charcoal when smoking don't over do it with the amount of wood. A piece of apple, cherry or maple on the charcoal every now and then if you cooking for 2 to 3hrs. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 3:32pm

Pcj, I assume you aren’t smoking on a rack then? I find rack (or multiple racks) with drip tray below works better than hooks. Whole rack has ‘same’ temperature, better than hooks if doing pieces of any length.
Hi Kieth. Yes on racks with a water bowl above coals
Just wondering as to hanging(using manuka) that the liquid sits on top of meat.Will that give it a tainted taste?? Found a mix of 1/2 charcoal and 1/2 applewood charcoal improved the taste with no taint, Did let it burn 30 minutes first before adding meat.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:15pm
PCJ said “ Yes on racks with a water bowl above coals”.

So going back to your original question regarding hanging, are you only referring to the juices on top when you say “food soaking in (juices)”?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:58pm
Yes,The first lot had a tainted taste,using soaked in water manuka to give smoke flavour,bit too strong,2nd cook was best,so thought maybe hanging would allow excess manuka to run off.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:06pm

Yes,The first lot had a tainted taste,using soaked in water manuka to give smoke flavour,bit too strong,2nd cook was best,so thought maybe hanging would allow excess manuka to run off.

Ok, i think i see where the problem is.
Lets try this, don't use any manuka wood at this stage.
Manuka is good in very small quantity.
Any meat, poultry or fish will have a bitter taste if you use to much manuka. Use cherry, apple, maple, latter on you can you can experiment with different types of wood.
The wood need to be bone dry, no fresh wood.
And here is video on something important... quality of the smoke. That really is important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKwEQHuFqg" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKwEQHuFqg

hope that helps, we would like you to become pitmaster soon Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:22pm
excellent,as mentioned bloody nice taste with the applewood charcoal mostly heat little smoke unless putting more on,

Will give it a try in fortnightCrybusy next week or 2

Have boked marked all your utubes.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 4:37pm
Cooked for 1.5 hrs used apple brikettes and chill powder,manuka chip ,last 10 minutes,moist.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 5:02pm
You are realy quick... catch the fish, smoke the fish & eat the fish and i'vent even finish reading your fishing report yet LOL
Btw, we like Kahawai very much, some of my funny friends think this is only good as a bait Ermm 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 9:22am
I've done few grilling and smoking.
Lots of poultry, pork ribs, pork belly and so on.

and keep forgetting post pic of the beer, lol 

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 3:23pm
 lit the fire 30minutes ago ,apple bricks,have had some pork steaks marinating 24hrs in apple cider cloves saltnpepper + some other stuff,magic powder,the juice taste good so time for beer and wait 3hrs or more,trying to have more smoke than heat.currently at 75cbeen there for 1/2hr.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 2:31pm
What did those pork steaks turn out like ?  Will be doing a few cooks of my own after this week . Got to learn how to do photos

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:03pm
Real nice,no taintness using the apple bricks,3 hrs cook,50/70c last 30 minutes wrapped in tin foil,family happy and want more so roll on Easter. Could do with chilly(forgot to add to marinade).

Turned them every 1/2hr. NO2 son made turkish flat bread,served with a bit of apple sauce.Hamburgers if you likeThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:29pm

What did those pork steaks turn out like ?  Will be doing a few cooks of my own after this week . Got to learn how to do photos

Take a phone, press the photo button... done LOL
Seriously, do you need help for posting pic in this forum

Pcj, where is the pic ? 

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 5:15pm

Take a phone, press the photo button... done LOL
Seriously, do you need help for posting pic in this forum

Pcj, where is the pic ? 

About that. When one is hungry and having to wait 3hrs.
Next time.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:00am
yes , so i"m technology intollerant   , have only had a phone for not a year yet , wot of it ? i can take photo but never tryed to get it on computer

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:42am
RC, not everyone has a good handle on technology. For instance I've never even used my phone to post on here, I'm sure I could if I needed too though.  LAP, if you need some assistance let me know.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 7:07am
I like joking around but in this instance i was/i'm serious offering help and i'm pleased you have noticed this post. Perhaps direct lbpoacher to link "how to" in this forum.
I'm looking at some vid on tube transferring pic from phone to pc, that might help in first instance. 

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 8:40am
For transfering files to and from a PC.
 Share a folder on the PC.
On the android phone/tab download and install ES file explorer.
 There are a lot on playstore, useless.
Download here
https://dlandroid.com/es-file-explorer-file-manager/" rel="nofollow - https://dlandroid.com/es-file-explorer-file-manager/

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 9:05am

I like joking around but in this instance i was/i'm serious offering help and i'm pleased you have noticed this post. Perhaps direct lbpoacher to link "how to" in this forum.
I'm looking at some vid on tube transferring pic from phone to pc, that might help in first instance. 

Thanks RC, misinterpreted sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:55pm
[QUOTE=RockCrashing]I like joking around but in this instance i was/i'm serious offering help and i'm pleased you have noticed this post. Perhaps direct lbpoacher to link "how to" in this forum.

all good RC i thought you were taking the piss....i'll have a good go at it after this week.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 4:10pm
5hrs so far and pork still a bit tough, now wrapped in foil ,so another 11/2 hr should be right, what good way to waste time and drink stout,nah washed and cleaned 3 cars so far and mowed lawn,
R/C will post photo this time,going to serve in rolls and some sauce her indoors has brought, have to be nice she wants to go fishing Sunday.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 4:33pm
Yep, make sure you do take pic this time, lol
What ya cooking ?
pork what?

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 4:50pm

Yep, make sure you do take pic this time, lol
What ya cooking ?
pork what?
pork shoulder ,magic dust,salt sea,bulls eye rib sauce.sitting at 75c so a bit more to go

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 6:36pm
Not as tender as I hoped but no strong smoke flavour which was favourable with family.3 of us manged to devour 2.2 kg so all is good

-------------

Print Page | Close Window