Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136201
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:11am

Topic: Outrigger setup
Posted By: Troutzilla
Subject: Outrigger setup
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 7:30pm
Im looking to re-rig my riggers. Whats the best cord to use? 

Anyone use dyneema? gotta be strong for its diameter, no stretch. 

Wonder if it tangles as my riggers are 2 piece tele which means lots of loose cord when they broken down.

-------------
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!

Replies:
Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:04pm
I'm not sure strength is really an issue. Your trolling clips ping at a few kgs. I have some cord on mine, sure they came with them from the factory. Kilwell. 10 yrs now. Like starter cord on lawnmower. Made to slip into retainer cleat at base. Not sure it is too complicated really.
It will tangle, whatever, depending how you run them. 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:46pm
Venetian cord, Check out action outdoors in rosebank road, Auckland they will have something for you.

Could also use nylon, you can get a black nylon from couple of shops.

Personal preference is what you like

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Venetian cord, Check out action outdoors in rosebank road, Auckland they will have something for you...

I did the same 2.5mm venetian cord, same for taglines, no problems.  Plastic practice golf balls for stoppers.

Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:57pm
We use Amsteel dyneema on our boat (2.5mm) and it’s great. Less likely to tangle as it has no memory and the lack of stretch is a big bonus in terms of getting a crisp release from your clips.

It is also very stable and resistant to UV so you can do multiple seasons with it.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 4:58pm
JB👍
Clearly onto it.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by JBoffshore JBoffshore wrote:

We use Amsteel dyneema on our boat (2.5mm) and it’s great. Less likely to tangle as it has no memory and the lack of stretch is a big bonus in terms of getting a crisp release from your clips.

It is also very stable and resistant to UV so you can do multiple seasons with it.

Appreciate the feedback JB nice one!

The lack of stretch / crisp release was the attraction for me

-------------
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Troutzilla Troutzilla wrote:

The lack of stretch / crisp release was the attraction for me
The stiffness of the outrigger pole itself is a more critical factor to a crisp release imo.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm
It might vary slightly - depending what system you use. If you use the slider method and have the clip trailing behind the pole, maybe there is some stretch factor.
My clips sheet hard up to the end of the pole. Minimal cord to stretch.
I would tend to agree with FA. The pole would have to be the biggest factor. You would have a hard job stretching my cord any appreciable amount before the clip pings at a few kgs. Maybe a few mm at most.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:12am
You are correct, however he isn’t talking about changing his riggers. A material with limited stretch will allow you to pre tension (load) your outrigger via your halyard tensioner much better. Long story short, something with no stretch is much better than something with stretch, especially if you have big outriggers

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:44pm
Depends if you are using Halyard locking pulleys like Hal-locks or teh Rupp equivalent. I found that 2.5mm black cord from Burnsco does the trick, an overhand knot into each end of the release clip makes it simple to rig. 

Again if you are using some kind of halyard pulley they are usually connected to boat via bungy, so that affects the crispness of release more than anything. 

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Print Page | Close Window