Print Page | Close Window

Christchurch Fishing Scene

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136112
Printed Date: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:46am

Topic: Christchurch Fishing Scene
Posted By: IwantAsenator
Subject: Christchurch Fishing Scene
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
Hi All. Is there much of a boat fishing scene in chch. Looking to move the family down there for a better lifestyle and job. But Iā€™m not really sure of what trailer boat fishing is like down there?

Replies:
Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
Where are you moving from?

-------------
Online...

Posted By: IwantAsenator
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
Hey mate. Moving from Pukekohe. The gulf is my playground currently šŸ‘šŸ»

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:34pm
Quite different from the Gulf in terms of a fishing perspective and species in that part of the Mainland however I'm sure the locals can help point you in the right direction.

-------------
Online...

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:31am
I've lived here for almost 5years this go around. Previously I was in Hamilton, The Catlins and Nelson. 

Fishing is different down here. No snapper, though Kingfish come as far South as Banks Penninsula in the summer. 

From CHCH you can go out Motanau, Akaroa or Lyttelton. 3 hours North there's Kaikoura. I'd recommend a bigger boat: 5m would be a good minimum with a cuddy cabin. It's colder down South. Wet Coast you can get out from Milford, Jacksons bay or Hokitika over the bar. 

Species seem to be mainly sea perch of Kaikoura, blue cod up and down the coast, Trumpeter and some deep sea species if you can find them. 

Overall the fishing is better up North, but it is what it is. There's more to life than fishing. 

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:34am
PS: Since I'm still in the process of building a decent boat, there's a lot I have to learn about boat fishing here. If you're into Trout and Salmon there's options there as well. 

Print Page | Close Window