Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136106
Printed Date: 20 Aug 2022 at 3:06pm

Topic: Snaps to 85cm plus! Mokau
Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Subject: Snaps to 85cm plus! Mokau
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
Hi all, Fished New Plymouth side of Mokau thismorn due to restrictions and a first in my brothers Mac 360 instead of mine! I feel this sight is getting close to flogging a dead horse lately with a bunch of hard core regulars still contributing, myself included with the viewers and other members dropping off dramatically. Youv'e only got to look at the stats to work this out.
We got off to an early 6.30 am launch, straight to a little river down the line to catch bait. Loaded up on Ten odd Kahawai and Jack Macs as I new we would need them if the big Spawning Snaps had arrived in closeWink I was bang on the money and after deploying our Straylines in shallow it wasn't long before we had a good Snap over 20 lbs taking off with a big fresh bait! We released it as well as five others over 20 during the session. Kept half a dozen 5-6 kg models for the bin as well. 
One of the bigger ones i got didn't survive releasing and had to come home. was a good fish went 85cm and weighed 11.40kg. Micks biggest he released would off topped that no trouble. If we can get a few more shots at them this and the next month, I'm confident of alot bigger ones.  Few photo's from thismorn. Micks best & releasing mine and on measure. Beer

Replies:
Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:18pm
Very nice Geoff 
Congrats on another great day. 

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:52pm
Super stuff, Geoff.
I reckon you might have a DB comp podium fish in your sights, and I hope you snag one Wink

I hope you don't get too dispirited by the site stats. i think there's been some contributing factors to a drop off in the past year or so, including the well-canvassed IT log in issues, and then the fact that Covid has kept so many people off the water at various times. I didn't post for a few months, as I was so dispirited by the lockdowns etc. I'm feeling more motivated now that us Jaffas can actually get in our boats.

Anyway, please know that your reports are a real morale boost, with your enthusiasm and your incredible catches.

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:08pm
Good fishn Geoff. I'm still hanging in there and confident the site will get sorted. Just a shame about the collateral damage meantime.
Any idea if it's possible to get to Mokau from Tauranga without having to cross border restricted areas?

-------------
Top 10 finish
2023 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:25pm
Well done Geoff. That's an amazing day's fishing. Wow imagine catching 6 @ 20+ in a session I'm at 2 in a lifetime😉

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Posted By: churbay
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:14pm
Nice 👍. Hopefully be able to hit those west coast snaps in the next month.

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Any idea if it's possible to get to Mokau from Tauranga without having to cross border restricted areas?

Here's a road trip for you, mate: Rotovegas, Taupo, Turangi, Taumarunui, Whangamomona (what a drive that is!), Stratford, NP and up the coast...

That's presuming the drive via Taupo is faster to Turangi than via Mangakino and the western route.

Your prize for that two day camel ride: the chance to fish for a 30lber with the master...

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:53am
Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Very nice Geoff 
Congrats on another great day. 
Thanks Krow!!

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:58am
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Super stuff, Geoff.
I reckon you might have a DB comp podium fish in your sights, and I hope you snag one Wink

I hope you don't get too dispirited by the site stats. i think there's been some contributing factors to a drop off in the past year or so, including the well-canvassed IT log in issues, and then the fact that Covid has kept so many people off the water at various times. I didn't post for a few months, as I was so dispirited by the lockdowns etc. I'm feeling more motivated now that us Jaffas can actually get in our boats.

Anyway, please know that your reports are a real morale boost, with your enthusiasm and your incredible catches.

You read my mind Lester! Yep the DB Comp is top of the heap! Thanks for the kind wordsBeer

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:04am

Good fishn Geoff. I'm still hanging in there and confident the site will get sorted. Just a shame about the collateral damage meantime.
Hi Craig, a bit dodgy Id'e say! would hate to see you try it and get turned aroundLOL Pretty strict road blocks here in Mokau as we are the border to Waikato. Yet over the bridge your in level two Taranaki and boating allowed. Thats why Mick came up from N.P with his boat...

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:08am
Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Well done Geoff. That's an amazing day's fishing. Wow imagine catching 6 @ 20+ in a session I'm at 2 in a lifetime😉
Hi Stephen thanks for reply! suppose you could say wev'e got it down to a fine art now on catching the bigger fish Straylining.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:16am
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Here's a road trip for you, mate: Rotovegas, Taupo, Turangi, Taumarunui, Whangamomona (what a drive that is!), Stratford, NP and up the coast...

That's presuming the drive via Taupo is faster to Turangi than via Mangakino and the western route.

Your prize for that two day camel ride: the chance to fish for a 30lber with the master...
LOLLOLLOL Technically thats possible Lester! Let me know Craig if you decide?Beer

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:33am
Well  done Geoff, you certainly have an amazing back yard. Good to see still plenty of big snapper present, obvious that the stock are in great healthThumbs Up Unlike my BOP/ Coromandel area

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:19am
That's amazing. Look at the quality of those fish too. They are almost as fat as me!

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:25am
Some porky pigs there Geoff well done mate

Posted By: MrWildabeast
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:25am
Beautiful fish caught fella 👌

-------------
Here fishy..fishy....

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Well  done Geoff, you certainly have an amazing back yard. Good to see still plenty of big snapper present, obvious that the stock are in great healthThumbs Up Unlike my BOP/ Coromandel area

Thanks Kaveman! yep its sign of wot hundreds of boats continuously fishing has depleted the areas I'm figuring. The big Snaps are here at home now Kaveman but wot protects them the most is the wild west coast weather. I don't know when i will get another shot at them it might be a week a  fortnight a month or so. Plus if your relying on getting out over the Mokau Bar you have less of a chance. Wot I do isn't for everyone but I'm the only one down here that does it, but I can tell you I very rarely see another boat within miles of me. The others all go deep. Beer
P.S. When I joined The Forum I have great memories of Lethals huge Snaps coming out of your area when he was still fishing... 

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

That's amazing. Look at the quality of those fish too. They are almost as fat as me!
Cheers Smudge, no your no where near that fat! You need alot more rums and body abuse to get there..

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Some porky pigs there Geoff well done mate
Cheers MuppetWink

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Beautiful fish caught fella 👌
Appreciated Mr WB.Beer

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm
Awesome fish Geoff as usual, we are hanging out to get back out to the west too but we haven't had the green light,, or is it orange,,, um anyway great fishing !!Clap

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:56pm
Nice stuff.  Please send some my way :)

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:45pm
Great fish Geoff. I think all akld fishos are over COVID - locked down then crappy weather.

My regular buddy up here wants to come down and check out the big snapper with you he is double vaccinated but who knows when?

Cheers John.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:16am
Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Great fish Geoff. I think all akld fishos are over COVID - locked down then crappy weather.

My regular buddy up here wants to come down and check out the big snapper with you he is double vaccinated but who knows when?

Cheers John.
Not wot iv'e been seeing on Facebook John, queue's a mile long at ramps, hundreds of boats close together fishing, ramps jammed. I have a couple of close friends Iv'e made through this Forum John that still make it here from time to time with there boats to go out with me and Id'e rather leave it at that. Beer

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
Yes true that akld fishos are desperate to get out - first weekend we were allowed out was crazy out here on Manukau and weather was poor and a diver and Kayaker drowned unfortunately.

No worries my buddy will have to catch that big one in the Manukau!  Still have pics of my session out there with you - quite amazing those Mokau Snaps!
Cheers

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Far Quirk
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 1:59pm
Amazing fishing again Geoff.  I wonder if the same strategy you use would work all up and down the west coast of the North Island?  The recipe seems to be catch fresh baits on sabikis, anchor in maybe 10m water (near foul?), feed out big fresh baits on recurve hooks, then lots of patience.  Similar tactics nail some big snaps up near Cape Maria van Dieman.

-------------
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Amazing fishing again Geoff.  I wonder if the same strategy you use would work all up and down the west coast of the North Island?  The recipe seems to be catch fresh baits on sabikis, anchor in maybe 10m water (near foul?), feed out big fresh baits on recurve hooks, then lots of patience.  Similar tactics nail some big snaps up near Cape Maria van Dieman.
Hi FQ, Thanks.. Any body can do it, yet 99 % of fisherman fish different methods. And the Bigger Snaps are everywhere on the West coast of North Island. Did you watch fishing and adventure a few weeks back on Mokau, I was on it and they were doing the same sort of fishing I do, although deeper. Check out there results! I had another crack at them thismorn, although we probably shouldn't of been out as it was NE gusting 15, with small whitecaps. We tucked right in close about 7metres. getting sheltered from the cliffs. caught alot of bait and still managed one snap that went 8 kg. Released straight away. Headed back in at 10am, called it a practice Day...Beer

Posted By: Naki1850
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:12pm
Hi Geoff, great fish as usual!! Where abouts is the border up there mate? North or South of the river, I’m wondering if I can still get out from Mokau coming from NP or it’s a no go. Cheers! 

Print Page | Close Window