Print Page | Close Window

Second set of hooks on slow pitch jigs?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Heavy Metal - Jig fishing
Forum Description: Anything related to jig fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136086
Printed Date: 26 Feb 2024 at 9:28pm

Topic: Second set of hooks on slow pitch jigs?
Posted By: Crochet Cast
Subject: Second set of hooks on slow pitch jigs?
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:04pm
This seems to be the norm overseas but a single set at the top of the jig seem to be how it’s done in NZ. Anyone tried the 2nd set at the bottom of the jig?
Is it worth it trying?

Replies:
Posted By: WillyG
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:29pm
I have used a few of the Zets/Palms slow blatt jigs that I picked up in Aussie, which are shore jigging designs.
Not sure if it made a huge difference, but I think most fish were hooked on the top hooks still. 
They're a zinc jig so you could have a lighter jig with a larger profile.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm
Can't say I miss many fish with slow pitch jigs. I reckon another set of hooks just makes it more likely to snag foul. Maybe keep a few spare hook sets to hand and if you find that you're getting strikes, but no hookups, then add in the bottom set. 

Posted By: coroben
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:16am
hook up rate goes up markedly on slow days.

downside is they get hooked mid body by the other set of hooks and fight like a plastic bag

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:36pm
I’ve found with hooks on bottom big snapper throw them , hooks on top eye they stayed hooked. Was a very good shimano butterfly jig that had hooks attached on bottom, great for hookups not so good for landing fish
I like two hooks on top. The one with hooks on bottom also eventually snagged and is now attached to deep part of Leigh reef.

Print Page | Close Window