Forum Name: Saltwater Flyflingers
Forum Description: A forum for saltwater fly fishing enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136079
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 11:46pm

Topic: Snapper from the Shallows and Spring Workups
Posted By: Jofly
Subject: Snapper from the Shallows and Spring Workups
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:51am
So here is the video from my latest saltwater fly exploits around Auckland. I posted the photos up the other day but here is the video.

Had some good success from a shallow reef getting snapper on fly and then some spring workups turned up in the distance.  Such a great day out, just a bit windy.

Replies:
Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:36pm
Very good Johan Videos are looking very slick these days. Excellent underwater and drone shots.

Getting a little close to the Northland border though. I wonder how long we can keep you filthy Aucklanders out

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm
Haha not even close, the boundary is up by Mangawhai. I'd have to get very lost to end up there LOL
I'm glad you notice a difference in the videos. I'm working hard to get the quality up. Let me know if you have any interesting saltfly ideas. While I am stuck in Auckland l am happy to go and try some alternative things. I plan to do some shore based stuff as well as getting up in the mangroves. Kings off markers too.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:48pm
Ideas? That's easy. Get on the island and attack it from the shore. It opens up a whole lot of country that you can't get a cast near in a drifting boat and highlights how shallow snapper will sit in undisturbed water.
Looks like plenty of pot-holey country in that area... perfect!

Posted By: Kingaling
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:10am
Has anyone tried fishing amongst the kelp with a booby fly and sinking line? 
Imagine the line would get the fly down, and the floats on the fly would keep it up out of the kelp somewhat.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
I personally think you'd get snagged. It only takes the smallest amount of wave action for a sinking flyline to quickly become entangled in the kelp. Fishing just above the kelp with either a sink tip or a floater is how I approach it. Flies will rip out of kelp leaves on a twenty pound leader. Just don't hook the stalk

Posted By: Snuffit.
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:01pm
I've fished boobies in Tga harbour for snapper at dusk. Good and effective in a nice clean environment.  

Really nice video Jo, liking the fact that you have a lockdown haircut. My missus wont touch mine and I'm super shaggy, almost 3 months since the last mop chop. (I'm a details guy, can you tell? LOL)

-------------
You cant eat my toast fish

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Ideas? That's easy. Get on the island and attack it from the shore. It opens up a whole lot of country that you can't get a cast near in a drifting boat and highlights how shallow snapper will sit in undisturbed water.
Looks like plenty of pot-holey country in that area... perfect!

I nearly did it today, was low tide and some good areas exposed was just a tad windy and I forgot my stripping basket. Nothing from the shallows today but the morning had heap off kahawai which was great.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I've fished boobies in Tga harbour for snapper at dusk. Good and effective in a nice clean environment.  

Really nice video Jo, liking the fact that you have a lockdown haircut. My missus wont touch mine and I'm super shaggy, almost 3 months since the last mop chop. (I'm a details guy, can you tell? LOL)

Glad you enjoyed it, the only good thing about lockdown is no-one cares about my self cut mop, something which I have been doing for the last 20 or so years. Haven't seen a hairdresser or had any other trim other than for my wedding LOL  My poor kids suffer the same fate.

Print Page | Close Window