Print Page | Close Window

Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Captain Morgan Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136032
Printed Date: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:54pm

Topic: Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder
Posted By: Reel Deal
Subject: Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:53am
Lots of old info on search of forums. Read a lot of brand marketing and features.

Need hands on knowledge and review from those who know.

Requirement. 

>Screen size 9” to 12”
>see fish to 300-400m (1kw?)
>need to see bottom fairly accurately at up to 30knots 
>open to screen or buttons or both.
>flush mounted. I have space 
>GPS combo.

Everything else I’m flexible with including budget to $5k including transducer.

What FF gives you the warm fuzzies when you turn on after launching? Any brand I’m open. Thanks team

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Replies:
Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:50am
I have lowrance Hds Gen 3.. It's OK but find it a bit complex. Others may be simpler to use..

-------------
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:42am
Mr Moritz, what depth do you go before stop picking up fish ? What speeds can you travel before losing fish and then bottom? I’m sort of used to lowrance operating system and Furuno but happy to learn another if I get most required boxes ticked.

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 11:41am
Fish mainly in Kaipara around the heads. Not as deep as 300- 400 m , but with right transducer it should be ok at those depth. Tracks OK at 30 kts but misses a bit at 40 kts depending on sea.. Just been checking my John Adams fishfinder book

Power output  600 watts  at 200 khz   depth 120/200 m
       "              1 kw            "                "     200/300 m
       "             600 watts at 50 khz         "     200/350m
       "               1 kw           "                 "    450/650m

The gen3 power output is 800 watts / 5000 watts

Hope that helps..

-------------
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm
I have same as MM - with Airmar P66 trans. I fish at 3-400m with it often. Thats why I put it in the boat. Finds fish at that depth no prob.
BUT it will not see bottom at 30 knts. My boat won't do 30 Knts - but I loose bottom with it on the plane - unless it is a following sea. I think the bigger the transducer, the harder it gets to track well at speed - for transom mount.
Mine is a 600W transducer and the whole set up cost about $1500 from memory about 3 yrs ago.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: pompey
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 1:42pm
I have had a 10 inch and 12 inch Garmin with a 265 high-low  1 kw transducer. I likes the units, easily read the bottom at 3-400metres. I didn't do 30knots though, not sure how accurate that would be. 
I can say for sure $5k won't be enough even for the 10 inch. Transducer is about $2200.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 6:54pm
thanks and good info. I see 1kw for sale on smart marine site for $1495 and a $4k with combo fishfinder. I’ll research some of those models. Interesting lowrance can get to 350m without a 1kw but guessing now fish sign.
Does anyone get 100m deep while traveling say over 20knots?

-------------

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:34pm
The key to getting good readings at speed is having the transducer in a location where there is clean water and no aeration.  Sea conditions will affect the performance as the boat rocks and bounces.  Larger heavier boats that sit lower in the water help.  

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:14pm
Try to stretch your budget to a 1kw Chirp unit RD - big step up in performance.

-------------
treat fish like fish

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:21pm
that’s what I’m thinking, and if what said I can get it in clean water I should be able to travel at speed and view also 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:23pm
So, here is the weird stuff. I am in contact with Baymarine as of last 5 mins. Over changing my other GPS/Sonar. Garmin Map 421S/600W 50/200 trans. Finds fish at 3-400m no problem. Cost me about $700 about 8 yrs ago. Now has an issue and I will have to replace. None of the units under $2k will do the same job - useless transducers (that come with it)for deep water. All Chirp stuff. To get that to work in deep water, need to go to 1Kw and more $ks. Nuts. So I pay multiple times my old cost and get a unit that won't perform as well.
Progress. Really?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:28pm
found this 1kw lowrance that says you can travel up to 30knts ? Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:31pm
another 1kw unit under $4k 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:36pm
What boat and motor(s) do you have RD?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:45pm
extreme 645 yam 150hp

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:18pm
Here is the latest corres from Baymarine. The guy is very helpful. Went to him because of recommendation from this forum. And I will buy something off him if we can find it.

"Using any of the Echomap units won't run it at the same power output as your original unit so in theory, you'd be going backwards not improving performance other than a functioning screen." 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

thanks and good info. I see 1kw for sale on smart marine site for $1495 and a $4k with combo fishfinder. I’ll research some of those models. Interesting lowrance can get to 350m without a 1kw but guessing now fish sign.
Does anyone get 100m deep while traveling say over 20knots?
RD - I can find fish at 500+m with the Lowrance 600W.
It will easliy do what you want. But I cannot get it to track bottom at 15knts, let alone 30. I suspect you will need a thru hull unit to do that. 
I can track bottom on my other boat at 20 knts, with the 600W Garmin - it can find fish on the plane at 300+m doing that. But is a smaller trans. I think that is the issue.
The Lowrance/Airmar needs to be going less than 10kph to find fish between 3-500m. But will do so comfortably.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:30pm
RD - fyi have a read of the link below.
http://fishwrecked.com/forum/new-install-raymarine-axiom-pro" rel="nofollow - http://fishwrecked.com/forum/new-install-raymarine-axiom-pro
It is long however after reading it I'm sure you would agree the guy is very thorough. The original poster is a mate of mine.  I have fished from his boat on numerous occasions.  Yes his boat differs in that it is a 5.75m glass boat but the boat and motor weight is probably similar to your 645 Extreme.  It's clear that the problem he still has is caused by the transducers not being in clean water at speed.  34kts in the river and the screen pic is great.  Take it on the ocean though with a bit of slop and the screen clutters around 15knts.  This is a common problem, I've read it so many times.
Yes better results are achievable at speed.  Another mate had two different 7m glass boats both with twin 150s.  TM260 transducer placed between the motors in line with the keel and both had no issues at 25kts+.
I have the same issues on my 8m glass Cat.  TM258 transducer has no issues in flat water but in a sea of over 1m I have clutter over 12-15kts which was really frustrating when I was looking for new ground in the deep.       

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:30am
Alan L, that is fantastic news that a under 1kw can pick fish up at prospecting speed down to 500m.  Don’t believe what the brochure read as there are so many factors like fish addict points out that effect performance. Having knowledgeable fishos in my country say they are getting a certain type of performance is good enough for me. So swinging to lowrance with a 600w transducer and be prepared to move it about on the back to get a sweet spot for the best display when traveling. I maybe able to go up in screen size with money saved on the 1kw transducer. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:44am
I have posted this pic before on similar discussions - but here is a screen shot of the HDS/Airmar P66.
I put this combo together after going down the same track you are - via input from this forum. I followed the consensus opinions and it has proven to do exactly what others claimed it would. I have no complaints about its fish finding ability at 3-400m. I have found fish at 550m.
It seems the current issue is everything is switching to Chirp rather than single beam. To get the same performance with Chirp at depth, you have to go from 600W to 1Kw.
That means $ks more, and no guarantee you will be better off.
I have a mate with an 18 mth Garmin unit - 1 KW Chirp. He struggles to find fish stationary at 200m. We have spent ages trying to get it to work better. He basically relies on my GPS marks. As a deep water sonar it is useless.
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

RD - fyi have a read of the link below.
http://fishwrecked.com/forum/new-install-raymarine-axiom-pro" rel="nofollow - http://fishwrecked.com/forum/new-install-raymarine-axiom-pro
It is long however after reading it I'm sure you would agree the guy is very thorough. The original poster is a mate of mine.  I have fished from his boat on numerous occasions.  Yes his boat differs in that it is a 5.75m glass boat but the boat and motor weight is probably similar to your 645 Extreme.  It's clear that the problem he still has is caused by the transducers not being in clean water at speed.  34kts in the river and the screen pic is great.  Take it on the ocean though with a bit of slop and the screen clutters around 15knts.  This is a common problem, I've read it so many times.
Yes better results are achievable at speed.  Another mate had two different 7m glass boats both with twin 150s.  TM260 transducer placed between the motors in line with the keel and both had no issues at 25kts+.
I have the same issues on my 8m glass Cat.  TM258 transducer has no issues in flat water but in a sea of over 1m I have clutter over 12-15kts which was really frustrating when I was looking for new ground in the deep.       

This is the problem I have with the Airmar trans. It is 600W but bigger than my 600W Garmin. Two boats - identical hulls, different transducers. The small garmin will track bottom to around 500m on the plane and find fish at 300m on the plane. The Airmar looses bottom due to signal disturbance as I hit the plane - usually. More times than not. Following sea - it is fine. I take it that means there is too much sloshy water going under the hull - other than following sea, and the bigger transducer does not like it.
That is why I am in correspondence with Baymarine right now - trying to find a Garmin unit that will still run my small 600W transducer. It seems I have to buy a 1KW chirp unit and throw the associated transducer in the bin. And then get adaptor cables to wire my 600W unit to the head unit.
Nuts. I am looking to change to another brand if I can find suitable.
So I am on a parallel course to the OP.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
now that’s some interesting reading and I learnt a couple of things there thanks Alan L. Yes similar we have similar requirements. I’m keen to get it right first time and this trail and error and real experience is invaluable. Side scanning is another topic and I’m sure there is a few here who swear buy it but from the guys I go out with it, don’t know how to use or do doesn’t find it a game changing tool. Thinking I’ll pass that as a requirement. My current intention summary lowrance with a 600w transducer and spend the time to get a location that shows the bottom at any type of speed.

-------------

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
I have the Garmin 7412 and a 600W 3-in-1 GT51 transducer. I cant say enough about this unit and reads in moderate depths at all speeds. I have hit the bottom at 525m, Found and caught fish to 430M.
I originally meant to add a 1KW transducer later but 5+ years on I still have not done this.

Here is a shot at 369M where Puka, Bluenose, Bass & Gemfish are showing - all species caught.

1 meter Kingfish on "A" buoy

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:08am
Great another positive on a 600w transducer. I wouldn’t want more than that. Shame you didn’t include photo of gps location Joker that screen is loaded with fish 👍😅

Im heading 600w from feed back

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
I've added another photo showing a pack of good sized kingfish on side scan racing back to the safety of "A" buoy - the shadows can be seen on the left hand side scan green bit. The main body of the pack can be seen in mid-water on the black part of the side scan - this is what is casting the shadows.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:52am
that is a great image Joker.do you use side scan all the time?

-------------

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:00pm
My mates who have larger boats than me and myself have gone the Simrad way, mine a 12 inch with 1 kw transducer and his is a larger version. We have had great results and when I purchased mine with the boat 2.5 years ago it was well below the 5k mark. I think most of the mid to top brands are all good, I had purchased a Ray Marine when I had the old boat and had a lot of issues even after it had been sent back for warranty repairs but I'm sure their new models are good too.

Our Simrad is brilliant would recommend to any one

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:21pm

Usually as I like to verify what I'm seeing on the conventional sounder with the downscan - it gives a different view that can be helpful in separating the big fish from the baitfish.

The sidescan takes a lot of learning to interpret what's going on particularly in Auckland's rocky bottom but I've had good results whilst game fishing in locating bait schools.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:22pm

Usually I have all views showing as I like to verify between views. The 12" screen has plenty of real estate to do this.

The side scan is the least useful but it does have its moments.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:27pm
On the more recent models with the faster processors a real game changers is the G3 3d overlay or the CMAP reveal - you can use your GPS chart to position fir spectacular drifts.

check out this view of Flat Rock

https://www.google.com/search?q=cmap+reveal+flat+rock&rlz=1C1PRFI_enNZ894NZ894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie9pLEqbLzAhVizTgGHbCvBFQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#imgrc=DKp5sjQtszrzDM" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/search?q=cmap+reveal+flat+rock&rlz=1C1PRFI_enNZ894NZ894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie9pLEqbLzAhVizTgGHbCvBFQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#imgrc=DKp5sjQtszrzDM

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

My mates who have larger boats than me and myself have gone the Simrad way, mine a 12 inch with 1 kw transducer and his is a larger version. We have had great results and when I purchased mine with the boat 2.5 years ago it was well below the 5k mark. I think most of the mid to top brands are all good, I had purchased a Ray Marine when I had the old boat and had a lot of issues even after it had been sent back for warranty repairs but I'm sure their new models are good too.

Our Simrad is brilliant would recommend to any one
I too have moved from Lowrance tm258 to Nss12 evo3s and TM260 to hopefully see the fish in deep water better. This setup was over the 5k budget on this thread though. Yet to test in the deep but so far no issues running over fish at 40m and 20knots. 
Alan I don't believe the size of the transducer makes it perform worse at speed. It's all about the setup. I get great clarity all speeds if it's calm enough. I also run 2x transducers one is a P58 converted to lowrance plug and yes works way better than it should. Tracks bottom to at least 250m at 20 knots. I haven't established it's true limits. If it was me Alan I would first replace the crook head unit and convert the existing transducer to that or buy the conversion cable and see how it works before splashing out on a new and possibly worse transducer. 

Back to Scott's start question. Yes you will likely need a 1kw transducer to see fish at 250m+ unless you are lucky enough to get a good 600w and set it up perfectly like Alan and myself. 
Not all 1k transducers are equal. 
Some smaller head units will still run the 1k ok. I say this because the bigger screen you go the greater the cost. Just because they can. It's quite likely all size models run the same software. It might be possible to stay under the 5k budget. 

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:50pm

[/QUOTE]  
Alan I don't believe the size of the transducer makes it perform worse at speed. It's all about the setup. I get great clarity all speeds if it's calm enough. I also run 2x transducers one is a P58 converted to lowrance plug and yes works way better than it should. Tracks bottom to at least 250m at 20 knots. I haven't established it's true limits. If it was me Alan I would first replace the crook head unit and convert the existing transducer to that or buy the conversion cable and see how it works before splashing out on a new and possibly worse transducer. 
[/QUOTE]
My hulls are the same, but the P66 is about 3 x the size of the garmin trans - both 600W 50/200. I have set the P66 about 30mm below the hull and no difference. I beach launch - anything more will wipe it out. The garmin sits flush or 10mm below. Tracks bottom at planning speed to near max depth. Found fish today at 350m on the plane. My P66 does not come close. I can only figure it is the size of the unit. Nothing else makes sense. 
I am trying to replace the old Garmin head unit. But having trouble finding something that will run a single band 600W 50/200 trans.
All the Garmin Echomap series are 500W. Then you run into 1 Kw units. Life used to be simple.
You can def find fish at 3-400m without spending more than $2k.
The most I spent was about $1600 on my HDS/P66 about 3 yrs ago. The Garmin was about $600 8-9 yrs ago. But these days it seems to be getting a lot harder to do that. nuts.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: RockCrashing
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 12:01pm
Looking at some recent post/topics noticed that most of images/screenshots are still taken by phone os some other camera device. Would like to bring to your attention that most of your units can capture image/screenshot on your fish finder.
No more reflections on the screen, sunspots, fishy fingerprints, water droplets or condersation ... and its instantaneous;)   

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Looking at some recent post/topics noticed that most of images/screenshots are still taken by phone os some other camera device. Would like to bring to your attention that most of your units can capture image/screenshot on your fish finder.
No more reflections on the screen, sunspots, fishy fingerprints, water droplets or condersation ... and its instantaneous;)   

How ?

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

How ?
Hi Mr Moritz, have a look at this video, he is very articulate and informative.
I belive this is your unit/ fish finder.
If you have any questions i would try to guide you through the operator manual.
Btw. Furuno, Garmin, Hummingbird, Simrad/Lowrance ... all have this future for ages ;) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20gOck&t=49s" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20gOck&t=49s" rel="nofollow - gOck&t=49s

Methinks the difference is clear :)

P.s. The last down scan image is from Chelsea Sugar Factory, can anyone share some more info on this wreck ?

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
I’m still not sure. Does screen capture work on all screens? Can you try the one with your GPS Marks/waypoints screen to be sure. Thanks …😬

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:59pm

I’m still not sure. Does screen capture work on all screens? Can you try the one with your GPS Marks/waypoints screen to be sure. Thanks …😬
I'm not sure i understandyour question, anyway, you can hide the GPS location, it is in the setting.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:26pm
ohhh, i c, you are after the x spots, are you!!!
Wink LOL 

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

How ?
Hi Mr Moritz, have a look at this video, he is very articulate and informative.
I belive this is your unit/ fish finder.
If you have any questions i would try to guide you through the operator manual.
Btw. Furuno, Garmin, Hummingbird, Simrad/Lowrance ... all have this future for ages ;) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20gOck&t=49s" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeld20gOck&t=49s" rel="nofollow - gOck&t=49s

Methinks the difference is clear :)

P.s. The last down scan image is from Chelsea Sugar Factory, can anyone share some more info on this wreck ?

Got it. Thanks for that will give it a try next time I am out..Thumbs Up
Re the wreck. I was told many years ago about a barge which sunk between Kauri Point and Chelsea. May be it...  

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Red circle is where I was told barge sunk...

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
Thanks Mr Moritz, I've been fishing over the area for about 15 years, but when googling I'm coming with rubbish information, would like the name of the barge, time, year ,circumstance of the event,  bla bla
ironically i live a stone trow away from this place ;) 

Btw. on the day was trying to catch a king, they love this place, the problem is they run to the concrete pylons 

Looking forward to see a nice pic/screenshot from your fish finder Wink

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
[QUOTE=RockCrashing]Thanks Mr Moritz, I've been fishing over the area for about 15 years, but when googling I'm coming with rubbish information, would like the name of the barge, time, year ,circumstance of the event,  bla bla
ironically i live a stone trow away from this place :)

Fishing mate told me about it 30 odd years ago. Trying to remember more of what he said. Barge may have been connected to the ammunition depot at Kauri Point. Secured or moored to wharf there broke loose and sank. Fishing mate died many years ago..If I remember more I will let you know..

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:48pm

Photo of old ammo barge at Tauranga. May be similiar ex WW2 Got rusty and leaked, patched with concrete, but still leaked and sank.
During WW2 American ammo barges (two at least) supplied shells and ammo to naval ships anchored in harbour. Suspect they were standard steel barges modified. In use by NZ Navy after war, one being sold to company building Auckland harbour bridge where it was used in bridge's construction. This barge was taken to Tauranga when bridge was completed and is the one pictured above before removal for scrap. I guess shells etc are now supplied to Navy by road.

Looks a bit similiar to side scan image (maybe)

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:25pm
OK - so I have been doing a bit more digging - to try and solve my own problem - which is pretty much parallel to RDs.
I have a little Garmin MAP system which served me well and finds fish at 3-400m no problem and tracks bottom on the plane til it can no longer see bottom (5-600m depending), and finds fish at 300m + on the plane.
I don't need anything more than this - but the screen has a terminal issue.
Now it turns out this is only a 500W system, and the trans is only 500W. It is not as good as the P66 in what it shows me , but it tells me enough - I have learned to interpret it. Older technology by at least 5 yrs.
This opens up some possibilities for a new head unit - I am not driving a 600W trans.
But what was interesting was the HDS Gen 3 specs list it as only 500W unit. And it definitely can drive the Airmar P66. Which is listed as a 600W trans.
Go figure. But the HDS/P66 performance over my Garmin Map, is far superior.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

OK - so I have been doing a bit more digging - to try and solve my own problem - which is pretty much parallel to RDs.
I have a little Garmin MAP system which served me well and finds fish at 3-400m no problem and tracks bottom on the plane til it can no longer see bottom (5-600m depending), and finds fish at 300m + on the plane.
I don't need anything more than this - but the screen has a terminal issue.
Now it turns out this is only a 500W system, and the trans is only 500W. It is not as good as the P66 in what it shows me , but it tells me enough - I have learned to interpret it. Older technology by at least 5 yrs.
This opens up some possibilities for a new head unit - I am not driving a 600W trans.
But what was interesting was the HDS Gen 3 specs list it as only 500W unit. And it definitely can drive the Airmar P66. Which is listed as a 600W trans.
Go figure. But the HDS/P66 performance over my Garmin Map, is far superior.
Regards
Alan

Yeah . Checked specs say it is 500 W. I saw a review which said 800 W but must have been a typo...

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:49pm
So Alan L what head unit you think will suit the P66 or anyone else who has used. As far as I’m seeing this is a awesome 400-600m unit that is waaay under the 1kw trans cost. Awesome. I need to pull the trigger soon so keen to see this through to conclusion. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
I can only quote my experience - which was based on what others had previously posted here.
The Gen 3 HDS  does a good job with the P66. Everything you will need as far as fish finding capability.
But then someone else posted great results with their 600W unit of a different make.
Maybe make more enquiries down that track and make a call on which way you want to go.
You def do not need 1kw to do what you are after.
Regards
Alan
Edit - Jokers posting with his 600W Garmin. Not familiar with the transducer - so you may want to enquire. 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:03am
I posted pretty much the same query you have posted now - about 3-4 yrs ago.
There will be a lot of good practical experience info on that thread. I have tried searching for it, but can't pull it up. It only seems to be pulling recent postings up. Not sure if that is my bad with the search, or maybe the revised website. Maybe we can't access the older stuff.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:00pm
yes I settled n to read through all the old threads as I recalled some info filled ones but only get a handful come up when searched hence I had to ask again l yip will look at Jokers suggestion re Garmin. Also Furuno. Pretty much sold on the 600w tranny 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:24pm
Are you just getting recent threads - I just tried again, and only get recent 2021 threads.
I am wondering if we have lost access to the older stuff.
If you could find the original thread I had about 3-4 yrs ago, there is plenty in there for you to digest. Several people posted pics of what they were getting from their sounder. One guy with a P66 I think was getting 800m out of it.
But there were screen pics and details of their hardware.
The essence of all that boiled down to the choice I made to go HDS Gen 3/P66.
But there were various other options that seemed equally suitable. It may be that price finally swung it one way. Don't recall. maybe availability. Not sure. But the thread has lots of good info.
I will post (was about to anyway) on the site upgrade thread, and see if we have lost access to the older stuff.
Good luck.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 1:21pm
Joker's sounder is a GT-51. You need to watch the transducers. It's not all power, frequency matters very much. Low frequency for penetration high frequency for detail. Some of the recreational transducers are fantastic for shallow waters but for deep fishing it's hard to beat a lower freg traditional from what I've read.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 2:03pm
OK RD, so I have just settled on what I am going to do to replace my little Garmin Map with the bad screen.
It has the 50/200 Garmin transducer, but I can't use this one - the connector pin is wrong. So I have to purchase another for about $150 (different connector pin). I can probably keep this as a spare and re wire it to the new connector if I had to.
I am getting the Echomap 75CV as a head unit. About $1400 I think. As far as I can see I cannot buy it without the associated Chirp transducer. Which is annoying as I don't need it. So it will stay in the box. But the new 50/200 will plug straight in - it can accept the traditional sonar.
That should get me back to finding fish in 3-400m for about $1600, and I have a Chirp transducer I don't want, and will have a spare 50/200 if I need it.
And I will have a touchscreen unit to replace the old push button Map.
It has bottom lock feature as well. The HDS Gen 3 does too. But whatever unit you go for - make sure it has Bottom Lock.
For example - if you went this way you could mount both transducers and flick from Chirp to the 50khz for deep fishing, and for normal fishing have the advantage of the Chirp.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:09am
 that looks a good set up. My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 so if I can pimp that with a p66 that would be awesome. Just need to see if it’s compatible if anyone knows. Or how I could find that out? Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:36am

that looks a good set up. My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 so if I can pimp that with a p66 that would be awesome. Just need to see if it’s compatible if anyone knows. Or how I could find that out? Cheers

Marine Deals list the Airmar P66-DT-HB as being suitable for Hummingbird 800,900 and 1100 series....Thumbs Up

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:57am

Are you just getting recent threads - I just tried again, and only get recent 2021 threads.
I am wondering if we have lost access to the older stuff.
If you could find the original thread I had about 3-4 yrs ago, there is plenty in there for you to digest. Several people posted pics of what they were getting from their sounder. One guy with a P66 I think was getting 800m out of it.
But there were screen pics and details of their hardware.
The essence of all that boiled down to the choice I made to go HDS Gen 3/P66.
But there were various other options that seemed equally suitable. It may be that price finally swung it one way. Don't recall. maybe availability. Not sure. But the thread has lots of good info.
I will post (was about to anyway) on the site upgrade thread, and see if we have lost access to the older stuff.
Good luck.
Alan

Hi Alan..
Just been looking at Marine Deals Airmar Transducers for Lowrance HDS Gen3. They list:

P66  Good

TM 258 Better Twenty five times more detail at 50kHz

TM 260 Superb Fifty times more detail at 50kHz

For what ever that's worth...

(Guess what type transducer depends how big a screen on fish finder. Probably only really really big screens would need the fifty times more detail. Wouldn't see any difference on 7 inch..)

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:27pm
excellent Mr Moritz that’s a great help I’ll check that site out !

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm

excellent Mr Moritz that’s a great help I’ll check that site out !

Glad I could help.Thumbs Up 

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:32pm
RD - if you go to the Airmar website - they have list of compatible transducers, ie find the transducer and it will tell you what it can work with.
Just make sure you get the right pin connector - if you are keeping your Humminbird, then you need to make sure the transducer is available in a pin connector for the head unit. Eg 6 pin Humminbird connector, or whatever your sonar plugs in with.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:16pm
Thanks Alan L. Great I can 100% confirm. Im not a hummingbird fan at the top end of Sounders but the screen is 9inch and the nag charts are good. It does have 3D Down view but I guess that won’t work with P66. But having to only spend $250 to get 300m plus strength that I’d have to spend big bucks on can only be a win. Now that extra cash I can get my underwater lights.😀

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:42pm

... My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 ...

Does that have Bottom Lock function?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 5:28pm
Yeah - you really need BL function. If it doesn't - you can always add the P66 and see how it works - with a view to maybe wanting to change it. The resolution and detail on BL are vastly better than whole column view in deep water. In the screen pic I posted for the HDS you will see a GPS split (half screen) and the sonar other half. The one bugbear I have with the HDS is you don't seem to have the option of solely BL. It always gives you split of both. I am only interested in the bottom 30m. You just have to live with that.
On my little garmin, at 300m, I don't see any fish sign on normal sonar at 50kHz. Go to BL and I can see individual fish pings. Comes back as raw sonar data, but I can interpret it enough.
With your Hummin bird you may have the option of adding the P66 to what you already have - may have a different plug socket already there to take traditional sonar. In which case it will just be a screen menu change to flick from one to the other. But I find the P66 200kHz beam in <100m excellent for finding fish and describing bottom - soft/hard.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:56pm
yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only. Not quite sure what that means. Yes the P66 I need a 9pin plug but struggling to find that for sale. Marine deals has everything else but… I’ll keep on it. 

-------------

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:03pm
I thought the P58 and P66 were the same insides just for different make head units. Might be wrong. Must try mine on Bottom lock never done that so be interesting.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
Krow - you will see a difference - by some factors. Yes the full screen still shows you stuff but you get 2-3 x the detail on BL. Stuff you could miss on full screen you will clearly see on BL. If the screen is full of fish, maybe not much difference. But if you are scratching around and picking up small numbers or the odd fish, BL will find them.
Let us know next time. You are missing out on something here. Especially if they are right on the bottom.
Pity that pic I posted didn't actually have fish on it. At 480m we were drifting for swords, finished our bottom fish at 350. It would have shown the difference in the two columns.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:24pm

... yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only ...

Bottom lock and zoom display are very different things.  Zoom display will following the bottom up and down where Bottom lock display always shows the bottom as flat.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm
If the weather gods are willing I may be able to show you the difference tomorrow. The screen on my Garmin isn't flash, but I am hoping for some bottom fishing between 175-200m.
Hopefully I can show you a pic of BL and no BL.
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:18pm
Here you go RD.  I got these off the internet.  Top pic is Bottom zoom, lower pic is Bottom lock.  The user in the Bottom lock pic has set the BL function to display only the area from the bottom to 1.5m above the bottom. 

Hopefully AlanL can provide some fresh fishy pics in a day or so.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:15am

yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only. Not quite sure what that means. Yes the P66 I need a 9pin plug but struggling to find that for sale. Marine deals has everything else but… I’ll keep on it. 

Ebay has one listed...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224639028684?hash=item344d878dcc:g:~xAAAOSw9hNhX4aV" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/itm/224639028684?hash=item344d878dcc:g:~xAAAOSw9hNhX4aV

-------------
Henry Ford

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:05pm
Go to marine deal in the states they have a load of trans and cheap.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm
always nervous buying larger ticket items overseas. If it’s wrong or issue your on your own. But I have successfully in the past…I got told to contact BLA NZ as they import hummingbird and Airmar to double check 9 pin plug is the right one and compatibility. Unfortunately sales guy not got back to me yet… 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:53pm
I've bought lots of stuff o/seas. Incl the present Garmin. Came from the US. No issues. Just make sure you are ordering the right bit.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:09am
yes indeed Alan L. I’m glad I tracked down the BLA rep and didn’t just buy the 9 pin plug. Apparently hummingbird has 2 9pin plug options a helix and solex phew… the helix is the updated head unit from mine so has the same plug. Fish city Albany said they had a 9pin when I did a ring around yesterday so will check which it is. If not it will have to be purchased overseas with a delivery up to early December.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:20am

yes indeed Alan L. I’m glad I tracked down the BLA rep and didn’t just buy the 9 pin plug. Apparently hummingbird has 2 9pin plug options a helix and solex phew… the helix is the updated head unit from mine so has the same plug. Fish city Albany said they had a 9pin when I did a ring around yesterday so will check which it is. If not it will have to be purchased overseas with a delivery up to early December.

Good oneThumbs Up

-------------
Henry Ford

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:41pm
ok back to drawing board. I asked fish city to try the P66 plug on the display hummingbird s and it wouldn’t fit helix or solex…. It’s a strange plug on the hummingbird it’s multi connections in a row on one plug. Google say bay marine lectrical department have some nouse so waiting on a return call from them…the latest hummingbird helix comes with a 1kw P66 so it should be possible….

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:18pm
RD - the P66 probably comes via a variety of plugs. I got one for Lowrance - but that is bound to not fit other head units.
Did you try the Airmar website and the transducer chart?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:23pm
Hmm, just tried the Airmar site. They don't list Humminbird. Odd.
But they do list the type of connector for each head unit option. If you knew what type (model #) connector you have on the Humminbird - you could see if any of the options match.
Maybe if you googled some specs on your Humminbird - or contact a Humminbird agent and see if they can give the details for your connector.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:42pm
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/transducers/xnt-9-db-74-t-20050-transom-dualbeam-transducer%20" rel="nofollow - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/transducers/xnt-9-db-74-t-20050-transom-dualbeam-transducer

This trans is compatible with some of the 800 series.
And it looks like you have BL function too.
What number is your series?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm
wow this has become a full on global research mission. What I have found thus far. Hummingbird NZ (BLA) don’t have technical knowledge on what plug is required it seems they say a helix or solix. I called hummingbird Australia (BLA) they were lost but came up with an option. They have said get a standard P66 then buy a mix and match connection that is made for hummingbird and gave me the product number. I researched further online and found there are two P66 cables for hummingbird helix and the one they gave me was for a 1KW 9pin plug. But my head unit only goes to 600w so dug further and found a 600w (in the Netherlands) that requires a 5 pin plug which is the first I have heard of a 5pin plug after talking to all the dealers techs, suppliers etc. I’m thinking if there is a 5 pin mix and match plug there must be a hummingbird 600w standard, p66 as they seem to have many plugs on their transducer units. I’ll keep researching. I am becoming the expert in Austrilasia on this topic. I maybe the first to do this in the Southern Hemisphere 🧐😁

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
Alan L serial# 131001030107
858CX HD DI

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:36pm
Yep - it is not simple sometimes - I am going thru the same thing trying to mix/match my 50/200 with the Echomap series. Waiting for a guy to tell me about the pin compatibility on the back of the Echomap.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:46pm
So I said earlier I would try and post some BL pics.
The weather gods have been unkind but I did get out early this morning, only to be beaten back really. But I snapped some pics.
Not the best because;
The screen on the sounder is wonky and unreadable unless you put polaroids on.
I have to put polaroids over the camera with one hand and hold the camera and take the pic with the other.
And the sea was lumpy and boat bouncing all over the place.
But here you go
So the first pic is BL and no fish - no point dropping a line here.
2nd pic is BL over fish. Looking good.
3rd pic is same spot - as quick as it took me to change menu setting from BL to No BL - ie full water column.
You get much better definition with BL.
It is not as dramatic on the Lowrance, and my only guess is the Lowrance has more processing capability - 5-10 yrs newer technology. But the difference is still significant .
Deep water fishing you should be on BL.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:17pm
Have any of you tried adding a sounder module to your units they are not cheap so are thjey worth the extra bucks. 
Currently have a lowrance FS9 and put a TM260 on it have yet to try it out properly covid lockdowns.  Was looking at upgrading to a  Simrad unit, thought I would give the lowrance unit a try first.  Want to do some deep drops 600m. Can reecommend the GT 51 transducer would read the bottom to 350m on a 500w Garmin Echo map. Would be better on a more powerful unit.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:31pm
You should be able to see the fishes eyeballs at 500m with that TM 260.
A 1kW 50/200.
They only claim 500m, but that must be waaay short of the mark. I can get to 600m on my 600w P66. 
You would have to get 800m+ on that, and good fish sign between 5-600.
You might need to add some more line to the reel :-)
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm
Im really keen to get out there well some where deeper than Lake karapiro. Dam covid now I cant even go to the lake. Have a new boat, motor and sounder to play with. Was wondering about the sounder modules, how much extra performance I can get out of it if I was to get one.   Lowrance and Simrad gear work togeather.
How much better is the Simrad gear over the lowrance as its nearly double the price.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
You are in L3, right?
Akl can go fishing in L3.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:31pm
think Aucks is in 2.5 level or level 3 with benefits. Northland aren’t allowed to boat fish like Hamilton. Re sounder and transducer Muzz. Alan L and I are keeping the costs down with a capable solution. I have an existing head unit and just need a grunty transducer for under $300 and it will have bottom lock equivalent to a $2.  -$3k set up. Now more about your new boat? You put it up on what’s your rig thread? What ever you had before got you through the bars at Kawhia and rags so must have been a goodie. This new rig must be next level! 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm

You are in L3, right?
Akl can go fishing in L3.
Alan
Yes L3 in Cambridge, but not allowed picnics or boating been out to the lake k and gates are locked, tried a couple of other places signs up and ramps taped off. Auckland is special they have more covid cases. None in the Waikato today, I can tell you there is some really pissed off fisherman in the Waikato as the weather is looking very good for the next couple of days.  Govt doing there best to get everyone Jabbed before the great Exodus.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm

think Aucks is in 2.5 level or level 3 with benefits. Northland aren’t allowed to boat fish like Hamilton. Re sounder and transducer Muzz. Alan L and I are keeping the costs down with a capable solution. I have an existing head unit and just need a grunty transducer for under $300 and it will have bottom lock equivalent to a $2.  -$3k set up. Now more about your new boat? You put it up on what’s your rig thread? What ever you had before got you through the bars at Kawhia and rags so must have been a goodie. This new rig must be next level! 
Yeah will put it up when I work out how to. Hamilton is not allowed to boat fish either, I can tell you this there a lot of angry fisherman out there the weather for the next 2 days is perfect for a West coast mission.   Never ventured over the West coast bars as was so easy to Lauch at Manu bay in the 5.5. As for the transducer thought I would get shop to change it to 1kw save me a job as I found out the unit could run one but how good time will tell. 

-------------

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:11am
Muzz, try your 260 first on the Elite. Given Alan's results you may be pleasantly surprised even though the FS is 600w. Essentially you have put a lot better ears into the system.

The Lowrance HDS (not Elite) and Simrad sounders are the same, the Simard is a little more customizable.

The elite series (the occasional model expected) doesn't network that well. It won't share GPS marks between units.
Maybe you could consider the S2009, it's a 1kw sounder only, if the FS isn't satisfactory and use the FS as a chartplotter.

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
Your right there Muzz,,, boats all ready, weather perfect, we have no new cases and there were only two, my mates going out from Akl, they have lots of cases and out of control but can still go fishing, toAngrytally nuts!!!

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:59am
Yes could be a good option the S2009  still wondering about the sounder module but alot dearer than the S2009.
Just did a search on FS 9
Buy the Lowrance Elite FS9” Combo Including Active Imaging 3-in-1 Transducer and CMAP online - BCF is Australias leading ... Power Output, Max 1 kW RMS.
Power Output: Max 1 kW RMS
Transducer Type: Single 9-pin Connection; 
Thanks for the reply 
kimber7wsm

-------------

Print Page | Close Window