Print Page | Close Window

Catchelot - RIP

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=136011
Printed Date: 20 May 2022 at 4:36am

Topic: Catchelot - RIP
Posted By: smudge
Subject: Catchelot - RIP
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:34pm
This is in another thread but thought I'd post here also. Sad news - Catchelot (Allan Halvorson) passed away today. He will be missed by many. He had been battling lung cancer and he did so very bravely. RIP Allan. 

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Replies:
Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:42pm
Saw the thread title and thought it was banter. Guess not. Really terrible news. RIP.

Posted By: fozzie
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:58am
So sorry to hear this, Al was one of lifes good guys.

-------------
Dont take life too seriously.....no one gets out alive any way.
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lingee
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:08am
sad news,hoping hes in a good fishing spot. will be missed

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:25am
bugger that is terrible news, such a great guy, he will be missed by all who new him. 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:25am
Bugger,  that's not the news to start a week.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:58am
Like MB - thought there was a catch.
Nope.
Sorry to hear.
Make the most of every day.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:00am
I only knew him on the forum - but he’ll be missed by us all, very sad to hear.

Posted By: Fish 4T
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
Never knew the man and sad news for everyone.
My condolences to the family.

Posted By: NZTurtle
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:24am
RIP big Al. "Give you the shirt off his back" guy. Tight lines mateCry

-------------

Posted By: RockCrashing
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:30am
That's very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Allan.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:43am
A long time contributor to this site and gone before his time that's for sure. Rest easy Al and thanks for some very tidy 'Catches of the Day'

-------------
Online...

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:03am
First met Al when he gave me a VHF component. He didn't know me, I was just some bloke off the internet. By chance we ended up working at the same place. We would often have a chat about fishing at the coffee machine before our days started. Can't say I knew him well, but definitely one of the good guys. 

Posted By: corosanta
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:24am
****e! That took me by surprise. Yeah, we'll miss him alright.

-------------
Sitndrinkntalknbullman

Posted By: Jaapie
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:30am
Genuinely very saddened by this news.

I was wondering why he had been so quiet on the forum of late and after reading this know why now.

Yeah - always sad news when you hear things like this.

Hope there's lot of rum where you are mate and some of those poster girls you loved to put up.

-------------
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:54am
RIP Catchelot, never knew you, but have enjoyed your contributions on here.
This time will come to all of us, always too soon.
A reminder to the rest of us to live while we can..

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
So sad. Go get some great catches up there.... 
Good bye Catchelot..
You will be missed.

-------------
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:36am
Catchelot was certainly a unique person to the extent it would be unlikely that anyone could take his place.

He had the added distinction of probably having the most posts to the forum than anyone else that included his regular "catch of the day" & "Caption This" threads, plus was notable for being the first to acknowledge other members birthdays.

He certainly enjoyed the parry & thrust of good natured banter to which end we regularly appeared to "lock horns" but was invariably engaged within the spirit of friendship & I am certain he will be looking down in agreement.

So long old friend.  

-------------
Police came around last night & said there had been numerous complaints my dogs were chasing people on bikes so told them "No way .... my dogs don't even have bikes ????????

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:59am
One of the good guys... 1st to put hand out to help..
 Knew Al was not well for a while.
A heavy heart
Some times words just dont make the grade.

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:03am
Very sad to hear this, been a great contributor on here.

Resting in your final anchorage now Al.

Posted By: Reel Magic
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:14am
Sad news, sorry to hear that. RIP Al.

-------------
www.reelmagic.co.nz

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:19pm
Very sad news - one of the good guys round here. RIP

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:40pm
I'll be having a rum for ya, Al.
My deepest condolences to your family.
A great loss for all,the forum and his friends.
....... bit lost for words really.

M

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Wefaknis
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:48pm
☹️☹️ RIP Mate

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:48pm
RIP fella, your con tributions were huge.

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:53pm
Bloody sad news, rest easy

Posted By: FlawOne
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
Very sad news to hear.
RIP Catchelot, you will be missed by all on these forums

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:18pm
RIP Al , hope there's plenty of rum cake and the fish are biting for you mate .

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:33pm
Although we both are in Whangarei I would likely have never met Al without this forum and are enriched because of our friendship. 
I've spent numerous hours chatting and sharing all things fishing in his man cave (cnr of his shed). Even took him out a few times as he didn't have much room for a boat at his place. As mentioned above keen as to help whenever he could. Even had the skills to sort my IT too. 
I'll miss him and his posts here. 
I wonder if anyone else will ever exceed his 47794 likes

Posted By: gurnard
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:05pm
Rest in peace Catchelot.

I hope everyone is alright, especially friends and family.

Very sad news for sure. Definitely a reminder that life is too short.

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:09pm
I never had to opportunity to meet but I enjoyed reading his posts specifically his caption this posts. Very sad.

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:26am
Definately a good guy, love the banter we had.

Vaya Con Dios Bro.Beer

-------------

Posted By: Phantom Menace
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:56am
Sad news! He will be missed.

Go well Catchelot

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:40pm
Oh ****, Only just seen this, so sad, I had numerous discussions with Allan, he will be sorely missed on here.I knew he was crook just didn't know how bad. Condolences to his family. 

-------------

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:29am
Condolences. Sounded like an awesome guy

Posted By: Moggy
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm
Hi All,

Like many of you I knew and have fished with Al. As most have said, lovely guy and would do anything that help you out. It was fortunate that we also shared the same branch of the military (Navy) in common and same trade which gave us plenty to talk about and recall even though we were in very different years, lots of stories for sure.

I had the pleasure of taking him to the Barrier during one of Karps Winter parties along with PJ and Amanda and we sure had some fun and did some good fishing with Al and PJ teaching us new tricks, some were even about fishing lol but that’s another long story….

I have spoken with his wife Wendy and she has told me that Al had a private funeral this morning, he wanted no sadness or fanfare but has left instruction that there is to be party for him in due time. That’s Al always thinking of others.

Its always hard when someone as young as Al dies especially when they in the prime of there life and I know we will all be thinking of his family at this time.

Al you will not be forgotten.

PS I was hoping to add some pic’s of Al to this but for what ever reason I can not find them yet, to be added

-------------
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Moggy Moggy wrote:

Hi All,

Like many of you I knew and have fished with Al. As most have said, lovely guy and would do anything that help you out. It was fortunate that we also shared the same branch of the military (Navy) in common and same trade which gave us plenty to talk about and recall even though we were in very different years, lots of stories for sure.

I had the pleasure of taking him to the Barrier during one of Karps Winter parties along with PJ and Amanda and we sure had some fun and did some good fishing with Al and PJ teaching us new tricks, some were even about fishing lol but that’s another long story….

I have spoken with his wife Wendy and she has told me that Al had a private funeral this morning, he wanted no sadness or fanfare but has left instruction that there is to be party for him in due time. That’s Al always thinking of others.

Its always hard when someone as young as Al dies especially when they in the prime of there life and I know we will all be thinking of his family at this time.

Al you will not be forgotten.

PS I was hoping to add some pic’s of Al to this but for what ever reason I can not find them yet, to be added

Thanks for getting in touch Moggy, both here and with your txts. We'll have to give that party a good crack!

-------------

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:25pm
R.I.P Al mate. Enjoyed our chats over the years and also the helpful advice from you at times. 
Sadly never got to meet in person. 
I have been contacted by a family friend of Al's after I made a comment of his FB page and his Navy mates have started a give a little page for his wife Wendy. Mods hopefully this is alright to post here.. 
https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/looking-after-the-family-of-a-fallen-brother?fbclid=IwAR3ka01JovjUTIahCe92R1c0trW6jlz9O-6YilmJw9kwp5HbC_YcYDhYiFE" rel="nofollow - https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/looking-after-the-family-of-a-fallen-brother?fbclid=IwAR3ka01JovjUTIahCe92R1c0trW6jlz9O-6YilmJw9kwp5HbC_YcYDhYiFE

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by smelli smelli wrote:

R.I.P Al mate. Enjoyed our chats over the years and also the helpful advice from you at times. 
I have been contacted by a family friend of Al's after I made a comment of his FB page and his Navy mates have started a give a little page for his wife Wendy. Mods hopefully this is alright to post here.. 
https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/looking-after-the-family-of-a-fallen-brother?fbclid=IwAR3ka01JovjUTIahCe92R1c0trW6jlz9O-6YilmJw9kwp5HbC_YcYDhYiFE" rel="nofollow - https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/looking-after-the-family-of-a-fallen-brother?fbclid=IwAR3ka01JovjUTIahCe92R1c0trW6jlz9O-6YilmJw9kwp5HbC_YcYDhYiFE

No problem with that at all Smelli. Thanks for that!

-------------

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by smelli smelli wrote:

No problem with that at all Smelli. Thanks for that!

No worries and cheers. Beer

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Posted By: Zambezi
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:47pm
I'm so saddened to hear this my heart goes out his family. 

I literally just reactivated my account and my first thought was wait until Al find outs.

Tight lines forever mate.

-------------
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:48am
Sad news indeed. RIP Catchelot

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Print Page | Close Window