Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135977
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:58am

Topic: UK Bluefin
Posted By: Muppet
Subject: UK Bluefin
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:00am
https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/atlantic-bluefin-tuna-one-of-worlds-most-expensive-fish-may-have-returned-to-uk-waters-in-part-due-to-warming-seas-scientists-say-12412999" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/atlantic-bluefin-tuna-one-of-worlds-most-expensive-fish-may-have-returned-to-uk-waters-in-part-due-to-warming-seas-scientists-say-12412999

Very cool saw this on Sky UK a few very chuffed Anglers. They are not far out either.

Replies:
Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:25am
that’s amazing as fishing was so poor when I lived there. And to have gamefish….no one will have game rods and tackle haha good time to be a tackle shop there I reckon 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 1:39pm
I note that climate change and warming waters had to get a mention.  And then later we have the 'could be' and 'we don't know why' comments.

The reason they disappeared in the 1960s was due to population decline as a consequence of overfishing.  It has taken that long for stock numbers to recover.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:57pm
Yes FA there was massive BF off Northern Ireland for years.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:28pm
That was interesting, thanks.

A couple of points I noticed.
In the 1930s they had a fishery of these.
It's possibly warmer waters that have brought them back.
If there is a fishery to happen it will go to the sports fisherman first as its more profitable and sustainable initially.

Pure guessing on my part but these comments do offer some inquiries.
Global warming, bit of stretch even for me.

Like there forward thinking about how the fishery is used and maybe sustained.

On another note of interest around this is some information from my uncle.
He's based in Portsmouth, there fishing is tough, unreliable and dubious specious for angling let alone table.
Three weeks ago he told me his mate caught a big eye tuna, about 600mm long.
I laughed and said he was dreaming. He's seen the fish but is a coastal fisherman.
I intimated unlikely at best, probably at best an albacore.
So I reckon misidentified.
So I asked him for a photo.
Still waiting but he normally fronts up, so still waiting.

In relation to above post and article, there might be some truth in this.
Go figure.
Be great if that's true as well.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:43pm
Mattoo there were huge Tuna off Britain for years. It’s hard to imagine but the fishing in the UK was just as good as NZ. Loads of fish very rich waters.
Despite the hammering there are still some great catches made by shore and boat anglers. I have watched a fair few clips on YouTube and you would not believe the amount of C&R.

Print Page | Close Window