Print Page | Close Window

Two year closure for east Coromandel scallops

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135937
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:44am

Topic: Two year closure for east Coromandel scallops
Posted By: Grunta
Subject: Two year closure for east Coromandel scallops
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:15pm
MPI MEDIA RELEASE - 8 September 2021

The east Coromandel scallop fishery will close for a period of two years from this Saturday, 11 September, following a request from the Ngati Hei Trust.

The closure covers scallop fishing in an area extending along the east Coromandel coastline from Anarake Point to Ruahiwihiwi Point, where Ngati Hei exercise mana moana, and includes Opito Bay. Other fishing in the area can continue under existing rules.

Director of Fisheries Management Emma Taylor says public consultation on the request took place between April and May.

“We received more than 2000 submissions, with the majority supporting a closure.

“The feedback from tangata whenua and the public reflects the results of recent scientific surveys, commissioned by Fisheries New Zealand. These highlight concerns around the sustainability of scallop stocks right across the northern scallop fisheries, including the east Coromandel area.

“While addressing fishing activity is part of the picture, we also know that scallops are affected by land-based impacts such as sedimentation, and by changes to water quality.

“The closure will relieve some of the pressure while work continues by central and local Government to address fishing and non-fishing related impacts.

“A large part of Opito Bay was already closed to commercial scallop harvesting, on top of seasonal restrictions for both recreational and commercial fishing.

“The new closure area is much larger and applies to both recreational and commercial scallop fishing. This will support scallop populations, across a larger area of the coastline and is part of the overall scallop management picture that Fisheries New Zealand is currently considering.

The closure follows a customary rahui placed by Ngati Hei on the Opito Bay area in December, to take pressure off the scallop fishery.

“Customary management tools and temporary closures such as rahui, provide an important mechanism to support the protection of our fisheries resources.

The closure will be legally enforceable from Saturday. MPI fishery officers will continue to patrol the coast supporting public awareness and enforcing the rules. Anyone with information about suspected illegal fishing should contact MPI on 0800 4 POACHER to report it.

Background:

The Ngati Hei Trust requested a two-year temporary closure of the scallop fishery over waters of the east Coromandel coast.

Their application included the extended waters of east Coromandel from Anarake Point to Ruahiwihiwi Point and encompassing offshore waters around the Cuvier, Great Mercury and Aldermen Islands. This includes Opito Bay which had been subject to a voluntary rahui put in place by Ngati Hei.

Public consultation on the Temporary Closure request took place between April and May, including consultation with Ngati Hei and other tangata whenua, along with commercial and recreational fishers, and environmental interests.

Fisheries New Zealand received a total of 2,381 submissions with the majority of submitters in support of a closure.

The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries approved the temporary closure to the take of scallops for a two-year period in east Coromandel, pursuant to section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, to recognise and make provision for the use and management practices of Ngati Hei by improving the availability of scallops in this area.

The closure takes effect from Saturday, 11 September 2021.

Replies:
Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:01pm
Customary take still allowed?

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Hook-it
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
So who is running the fisheries now ? Maoris ? lol we are all doomed. I do still agree with concept but it should  include no fishing from Comms, full stop.

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Customary take still allowed?
Not according to the Kaikaumata?? down in the optito bay area will not issue permits and the fustrating part for him was others Iwi Leaders writing out permits for an area that they are not from.   F/B Coromandel protection page.

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:26am
It's sad that it takes customary/public pressure to get something in place. Surely if Fisheries was doing their job, they would have front footed the closure themselves. Yet again another case of gross incompetence shown by Fisheries.

Hopefully this doesn't place too much more pressure on an already struggling western Coromandel scallop fishery.

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:59am
Need this for northland aswell to be fair, Whangarei Harbour is going to take a hammering this season and it gets worse and worse each year

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:24am
do people dredge Whangarei harbour or dive, snorkel? I’ve heard stories of scallops in inches of water 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

do people dredge Whangarei harbour or dive, snorkel? I’ve heard stories of scallops in inches of water 

Takahiwai has nothing left, smugglers has nothing this has been like this for atleast 4 years now. The numbers on snake bank have dwindled considerably in the last 6 years. Taurikura and urquharts takes an absolute hammering as thats most peoples go to and it isnt as plentiful as people make it out to be. Mcleouds is hit and miss and majority of them are undersized or have fan worm attached to the shells.

Theres Whangareis Harbour summed up unfortunately. Plentiful no. Compared to other regions sure.

Healthy fishery? No way

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:57am
I would say most would tank dive Whangarei. Then snorkel. Not a lot of people dredge.

Also the bay of islands is no longer worth while collecting scallops from. Atleast all the beds I knew of, which was 4 different areas no longer are worth the time to collect them with. And that ranges from 2m of water to 22m of water

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:07am
maybe a Coro style few year ban is in order. That is sad news indeed JAS. Now the question do I include in my foraging species list this year hmmmm

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:12am
One thing to close off the beds but really need to be looking at the bigger picture.The enviroment,run off from land development etc.Nelson been closed 5yrs?? and no return of scallops and finger is being pointed at the clearing of forestry.Silt,heavy metals etc all the things scallops dont like. Raised the issue with the Advocacy group and got told "thats a barrow for you to push"basically saying youre wrong yet evidence shows otherwise.

Interesting read from niwa to ex commercial

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123730152/scallop-recovery-in-top-of-the-south-still-clouded-by-uncertainty" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123730152/scallop-recovery-in-top-of-the-south-still-clouded-by-uncertainty

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
It's a sign of the times unfortunately.look at the Marlborough sounds for example.They have been closed for scollops for a few years now and the limit used to be 50 per person.we holiday in the BOI every summer and have always enjoyed getting the family out on the boat and diving for a feed of scollops.early this year we couldint even find one except a few small ones here and there.One thing we did observe was fan worm.This seems to be a major issue and only seems to be getting worse.Some one told me cruise ships bring it in in their ballast tanks.After this closure the inside beds off coromandle town re going to get a hammering I'm picking.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Need this for northland aswell to be fair, Whangarei Harbour is going to take a hammering this season and it gets worse and worse each year

Well said! Sadly, the "near" north is not the paradise it used to be.

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm
Been a few years closed on the kaipara, but for the best

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:43pm
Have I missed something here.

Is it no one can harvest scallops in these zones or is it that commercial and Maoris can.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Have I missed something here.

Is it no one can harvest scallops in these zones or is it that commercial and Maoris can.
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/east-coromandel-scallop-fishery-to-close-for-2-years%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/east-coromandel-scallop-fishery-to-close-for-2-years

Posted By: fishfeeder2
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:25pm
dead link

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by fishfeeder2 fishfeeder2 wrote:

dead link

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/east-coromandel-scallop-fishery-to-close-for-2-years/?fbclid=IwAR1Ozvdsn6rTARDKNemfC1wjqzH0R1ne7n3i0LNU8n72EYzTR5YQmDzVFus%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/east-coromandel-scallop-fishery-to-close-for-2-years/?fbclid=IwAR1Ozvdsn6rTARDKNemfC1wjqzH0R1ne7n3i0LNU8n72EYzTR5YQmDzVFus

Posted By: fishfeeder2
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:33pm
thanks PCJ

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:55pm
Hi PCJ.
I have read the other end of your link and nowhere does it discount customary take.
The closest I could find is this: -
  • "The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries approved the temporary closure to the take of scallops for a 2-year period in east Coromandel, pursuant to section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, to recognise and make provision for the use and management practices of Ngāti Hei by improving the availability of scallops in this area".
  • Still does not discount customary take and only mentions Ngati Hei and no one else.
  • I could be having a senior moment and am open to being pointed in the right direction.
  • Cheers and thanks.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Hi PCJ.
I have read the other end of your link and nowhere does it discount customary take.
The closest I could find is this: -
  • "The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries approved the temporary closure to the take of scallops for a 2-year period in east Coromandel, pursuant to section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, to recognise and make provision for the use and management practices of Ngāti Hei by improving the availability of scallops in this area".
  • Still does not discount customary take and only mentions Ngati Hei and no one else.
  • I could be having a senior moment and am open to being pointed in the right direction.
  • Cheers and thanks.
According to Joe Davis, local kamatua, there will be no customary permits N on MPI site But Coromandel protection page on F/B join and ask him the question he will put you right. Have been through the pages it is there in amongst all the other stuff.   But customary rights have prevailed in all other closed areas even including banned shellfish like Toheroa but can be taken in limited numbers under the permit, usually permitted in the event of a tangi for a Chief.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:44pm
It's closed as from Saturday and you'd expect that Ngāti Hei would be showing leadership in that regard given they were instrumental in getting it closed. Any deviation from that position would be very unpopular.

Posted By: kimber7wsm
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 6:30am
Part of this area had a ruhui placed on it before the ministry of incompetence did anything. I can't imagine that Ngati Hei would then start customary. They have shown leadership here.

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:59pm
For interest sake only I sent an email to MPI seeking clarification whether customary take was permitted during the closure.  The first email was sent on 9 Sept 2021 and I received an automatic response stating their aim to respond within 2 working days.  No reply was received so I followed up with another email on 17 Sept 2021.  Once again I received the automatic response but nothing since ........ mmmmmmmmmm

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

For interest sake only I sent an email to MPI seeking clarification whether customary take was permitted during the closure.  The first email was sent on 9 Sept 2021 and I received an automatic response stating their aim to respond within 2 working days.  No reply was received so I followed up with another email on 17 Sept 2021.  Once again I received the automatic response but nothing since ........ mmmmmmmmmm
Joe Davis the kamatua for the area will not be issuing customary permits

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:47am
By the way who owns the major commercial fishing fleets in NZ now?

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Joe Davis the kamatua for the area will not be issuing customary permits

I had seen that in your earlier post.
My point in contacting MPI was simply to see if they had closed the door to customary take.  To leave the door open suggests inequality.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
Thats really not good enough of MPI. You are entitled to clarification - from them. What a surprise.
Why not reiterate your requests and ask them if you have to go to the Ombudsman or the OIA to get an answer.
You are entitled to one. It is a simple Yes or No.
The fact you can't get one suggests there is an issue.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 4:46pm
Alan after reading your post above I thought, why not, and emailed them again mentioning the Ombudsman and the OIA.  This morning I received the following email response.

"Tēnā koe Alan,

Thank you for your official information request received on 9 September.

Your request below will be considered and a decision provided in accordance with the requirements of the Official Information Act 1982.

If you have any questions regarding this request, please email mailto:Official.Informatio[email protected]" rel="nofollow - [email protected] .

Ngā mihi,

Official Information Act Team

Government Services | Public Affairs

Ministry for Primary Industries | Charles Fergusson Building, 34-38 Bowen Street | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand 

Telephone: 0800 00 83 33 | Email: mailto:Official.Informatio[email protected]" rel="nofollow - [email protected]  | Web: http://www.mpi.govt.nz" rel="nofollow - www.mpi.govt.nz "  

The cogs are turning.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:10pm
Good work.
That reply suggests to me there is a problem. It is going to go thru the hierachy before they can tell you yes - or No.
There will be meetings and briefing papers and legal opinions sought.
We wait.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:02pm
After another reminder to the Official Information Act Team at MPI I received a response today.  The following addresses my query:

"... Tangata whenua who exercise traditional authority (mana moana) over the area covered by the closure can continue to authorise some customary harvest of scallops, provided this is done in accordance with regulations made under the Fisheries Act 1996 ..."

Whilst I appreciate that the local kamatua has indicated he won't be issuing customary permits I am disappointed that MPI elects to apply two sets of standards.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:39pm
What they seem to be saying is they don't have the ability to completely close a fishery.
Customary take takes precedence.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

What they seem to be saying is they don't have the ability to completely close a fishery.
Customary take takes precedence.
Alan
correct.Hence why you and I cannot collect tohero.But a permit can issued to collect under customary take but is usually reserved for a Elder on there passing a limit placed.

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:16pm
I wonder how long it will be until non maori are considered to have any customary entitlements..really, if 5 consecutive generations have lived and fished in an area...

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I wonder how long it will be until non maori are considered to have any customary entitlements..really, if 5 consecutive generations have lived and fished in an area...

I am a fifth generation NZer and it has been my custom for as long as I can remember to hunt, gather and fish these Islands.
I still remember my first plastic rod set, sitting on the wharves in Wellington Harbour catching Spotties and sprats then moving on to predominantly Kahawai.
I remember gathering Cockles at Paremata, Pipi, Tuatua, Tohera up Paraparaumu way, Paua, Mussels, Rock Oysters, Crayfish at boom Rock around the coast from Makara.
Then as I got older, doing most of those things around the country.
North and South Island.
Even my inlaw's still call me manuhiri, yet I have seen more of and done more in this country than they have.
As I suspect many reading this site have.
When will we all be treated as equals?

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm
It is now clear MPI is not in control of the fishery.
They are rubber stamping any Iwi lead decision regarding management of the fishery.
This closure - tho maybe well warranted and overdue, was initiated by Iwi - not MPI.
MPI claim to be a science/evidence based decision maker. That is not the case where Iwi interests are involved.
Conversely I tried to get Iwi involved in restricting commercial activity in our raped and pillaged fishery a couple of yrs ago. Nope. They are the major fishing Co in the area.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:01am
V8 you are a indigenous pakeha like myself, the most discriminated against minority in NZ. 

-------------

Posted By: Dagwood
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:28am
In this case the majority of the community were behind the closure and observed the customary Rahui. Meanwhile the Commercials didn't and continued until it was legally binding. The anger on local social media was pretty intense.

My observation is the community is grateful that the local Iwi took the steps they did as MPI have been so slow to step in and take action.  

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
yeah I do not think many if any where against it, bar a few that made their income from it. Shame we can’t get iwi to stop preventing the kermadic ocean sanctuary for their money greed.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window