Forum Description: Free-divers & spearos chat about their sport
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135822
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:38pm

Topic: Wetsuit repair tips?
Posted By: JH86
Subject: Wetsuit repair tips?
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:26am
Hi all,

Any tips on repairing tears in an open cell suit? I've bought some Cressi glue, wondering if I should be stitching the rips up somehow before gluing?
Any advice welcome.

Replies:
Posted By: e.m.p!
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:33pm
nothing to look out for, just follow instructions. Take your time, you can do big patches in stages. No clamping required, however I use the occasional peg to keep things in place. If looks are important you can use needles to keep parts aligned and a tiny dab to seal the pinholes after (never tried that method though). A little bit goes a long way and you can even fix a wet wetsuit to be used the next day. Cressi glue is a very good product (have also tried sikaflex, neorez, aquaseal and sellys polyurethane glue). Sika and neorez won’t last, the rest was mint. Sellys was the cheapest and longest lasting, but haven’t seen it in years.
I use aqua-seal to make my gloves last significantly longer too.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 9:08am
I knocked around on the rocks a while back, and so did my suit
So asked around a few shops , JustanotherSpero  on forms here and few others.

Ended up buying a tube of the Cressi stuff and was give a couple patches.
Then just , as suggested above, followed instructions exactly.

Suit patches work excellent..
Not only that, and cant rem if in the instructions, or bit advice from 'Sperio....Tested a couple grazes by rubbing just the Cressi stuff in, let dry then built it up a little ...Again those worked well also.

No failures.

I also thought about some of the alternatives above.. didnt use them as the Cressi did the job so well.

Posted By: JH86
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 2:41pm
Nice, good to hear! Thanks

Print Page | Close Window