Print Page | Close Window

boat show not that great ?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135473
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:23am

Topic: boat show not that great ?
Posted By: spin king
Subject: boat show not that great ?
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:15am
a bit not great this year tbh... the beer tent closed at 9pm on Fri too
rant over haha

Replies:
Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:50am
Do the fashionable thing and blame it on Covid 😂

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:07am
Definitely do your homework.
Went with a friend who had priced a certain boat up before heading to the show.
Was hoping for a bit of a show discount.
Found the relevant stall, questioned the sales team, requested all the options he wanted and a arranged for a quote to be sent out.
Got home and an email had already arrived.
First word out of his mouth, Censored
They were asking 3k more than the pre show quote.
Same model and same dealer.
Caveat emptor indeed. 

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: smelli
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:48am
Yeh pretty ****e huh, i think that is how they pay the high cost of the boat show site they rent.

-------------
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361

Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:07am
i worked them for a few years and have been to everyone for the last 10 odd this year was weird less stuff and no deals

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:32am
Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

i worked them for a few years and have been to everyone for the last 10 odd this year was weird less stuff and no deals
Yep just been in to smartmarine (manukau)as too busy at the show,got a better deal on softbaits etc than offer at show. Boat sales yep nephews stabi jumped by $10k at show ,same toys fitted.

Knew the show wouldnt be great as no hype before hand on this site.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:29pm
First time in an age I didn't go but only because I've had so much time off work lately and I like to go on a Thursday or Friday

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:52pm
Inflation at play too guys.

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:21pm
I went to look at boats my son had rigged from scratch. Proud of him, he does a better job that I'd have the patience for.

I did price up a drum winch before I went, same retailer had it at the show 200 cheaper, not enough for me to bother.

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:55pm
Well if you check the wait lists for most boat manufacturers, you probably wouldn't be running around with discounts either. They all seem to have more work on than they know what to do with.
The old supply/demand equation. Just like the current house thing really.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Well if you check the wait lists for most boat manufacturers, you probably wouldn't be running around with discounts either. They all seem to have more work on than they know what to do with.
The old supply/demand equation. Just like the current house thing really.
Alan

Yup.
One model/make before Christmas and one model/make mid 2022.
120-140k range.
No, not for me. Cry

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:35pm
Got myself a few things a bit cheaper than "normal" - typically google them to see what MarineDeals etc lists stuff for.  Got myself a free lifejacket by extending my Coastguard membership by 3 years.  Memo to self: live long enough to use it.  Plus a semi-impulse rod/reel purchase.

Couldnt' find Top Catch stand.  Couldnt find decent braid so stopped in at Fish City on the way home.  Couodnt stay long but no boat interest this year - I have enough boats, but of course not enough rods and reels :)

Much better than going to work.

Posted By: whippersnappyr
Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:48am
haven’t been for years because I find it a snooze. Much prefer the on the water show.  The reality is anyone serious about buying a boat wouldn’t expect to do it at a show. The show is an awareness opportunity and most attendees are having an event outing rather than shopping. Ok for a deal on something like a paddle board not a whole boat.

Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Friends price was only two weeks before the show.
If inflation is running at that level for two weeks, we are all in for a rough ride. LOL

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Tonto2
Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:14pm
Actually when a container lands in NZ these days it's very difficult to know just what it will cost. Freight companies are gouging, and this is leading rapid price increases. Also most manufacturers are flat out and booked up way ahead, therefore they need to arrive at a price for a boat that may not be built for several months and the materials could conceivably have increased markedly by build time, there are a lot of factors that arent obvious to the average punter.

-------------
slowly going where everyone else has already been

Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Friends price was only two weeks before the show.
If inflation is running at that level for two weeks, we are all in for a rough ride. LOL

Don’t bet against it 😂

Well in your friends case you take the first price

Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Actually when a container lands in NZ these days it's very difficult to know just what it will cost. Freight companies are gouging, and this is leading rapid price increases. Also most manufacturers are flat out and booked up way ahead, therefore they need to arrive at a price for a boat that may not be built for several months and the materials could conceivably have increased markedly by build time, there are a lot of factors that arent obvious to the average punter.

That is an issue too.
Plus higher demand equals higher prices

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:28am
We spent four days at the show and it was busy. Foot traffic up significantly and a good turnout from the industry too. 

For anyone thinking of buying a boat it's a great time to look over all the options and just as importantly have a look at all the innovation and ideas that the manufacturers are coming up with. Problem is that demand is so high for all the main manufacturers, getting a build slot for a new boat is the challenge.

There were a few good deals in the fishing hall but certainly not like it was a few years ago. Massive issue with stock and supply chains as others have noted and so retailers aren't discounting like they were.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:17pm
Thought it was about standard. Good day out. We were boat shopping, or at least seriously tyre kicking! Wouldn't want to sign on the dotted line in that environment. Soft top aluminium boats seem to be out of fashion, lots of hard tops. Shame FC Boats weren't there as wanted to eyeball them. Luckily we had time to pop in to Fish City in Albany on the way home. Only purchase at the show was a bottle of gin LOL

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Thought it was about standard. Good day out. We were boat shopping, or at least seriously tyre kicking! Wouldn't want to sign on the dotted line in that environment. Soft top aluminium boats seem to be out of fashion, lots of hard tops. Shame FC Boats weren't there as wanted to eyeball them. Luckily we had time to pop in to Fish City in Albany on the way home. Only purchase at the show was a bottle of gin LOL
Fish city Albany was there without the F/C range they were promoting Fi Glass 

Posted By: Redfinger
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Fi glass were helping  subsidising our stand and we had to get 3 x customers boats to have enough boats to show on our Albany stand. FC Boats normally have their own stand like mclay boats did in the main hall (we dealers for them too) but fc chose not to attend this year - we are just a dealer for fc boats and cant get much stock to display at moment .

Posted By: Phantom Menace
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:42pm
I am boat shopping for something in the 5.7 - 6m ish range so basically did a tour discussing options with all the aluminium boat builders there ...

The problem is that my choice of fit out, length, engine size etc. changed a lot so I will need to increase my budget to match ...

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Fish city Albany was there without the F/C range they were promoting Fi Glass 

That's no bloody use. 

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Fi glass were helping  subsidising our stand and we had to get 3 x customers boats to have enough boats to show on our Albany stand. FC Boats normally have their own stand like mclay boats did in the main hall (we dealers for them too) but fc chose not to attend this year - we are just a dealer for fc boats and cant get much stock to display at moment .
thanks.young fella we spoke to very helpful.think we know what maybe early next yr replacement boat.

Print Page | Close Window