Print Page | Close Window

Seasnake Washes Ashore - Tokerau Beach.

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Fish Tank
Forum Description: Discuss fish species here - ecology, ichthyology, biology, habitats etc
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135423
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:39am

Topic: Seasnake Washes Ashore - Tokerau Beach.
Posted By: Catchelot
Subject: Seasnake Washes Ashore - Tokerau Beach.
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:18pm
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/deadly-native-sea-snake-washes-up-on-northland-beach/2VS2Q52FF4LFUCG7KSSBOMCORY/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1ivxCdQd1PzAAR88GYSzAetM8L3toocPT1xzdTBGQIZCi0qrDHHKKxxqo#Echobox=1620005594%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/deadly-native-sea-snake-washes-up-on-northland-beach/2VS2Q52FF4LFUCG7KSSBOMCORY/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1ivxCdQd1PzAAR88GYSzAetM8L3toocPT1xzdTBGQIZCi0qrDHHKKxxqo#Echobox=1620005594

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 7:32pm
A mate's daughters found a live one at Karioitahi a few years ago. It was still alive so we put it in a warm bath. It was pretty lively then! 

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

A mate's daughters found a live one at Karioitahi a few years ago. It was still alive so we put it in a warm bath. It was pretty lively then! 

And then what?!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:50pm
I have seen small body parts of, what I have believed to have been marine snakes, versus eels and pipefish on Northland beaches amongst the rubble and digging for shell fish.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

And then what?!
It was tasty Big smile

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:32pm
Sick

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:39am
had some sea snakes trying to get aboard in WA. So we moved a 100m each time but they kept coming. We both didn’t want to move from the hot action fishing spot. I took a few photos only to read front page of local paper a few days after that the identical snakes has only just been rediscovered after thinking of being extinct for 50 years. 

These ones were definitely not hiding. Think they may have been mating as a few were in tight balls. Quite a big snake so we were on edge as they swam up and trying to come up the sides and motor leg. 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 5:22pm
Came across a yellow belly sea snake on the sand at oakura bay ,Northland some years back.  Was basking in the sun and very much alive. 
That also was in May.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:57am
It was tasty Big smile

We where having a few beers a week or so ago.. some how the conservation came around to strange stuff in the freezer.. I have had a turtle in mine for 45 odd yrs.  And that sea snake turned up out of the freezer

Print Page | Close Window