Print Page | Close Window

Grunter Hunter 2021

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Captain Morgan Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135400
Printed Date: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:21pm

Topic: Grunter Hunter 2021
Posted By: smudge
Subject: Grunter Hunter 2021
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:23pm
My favourite comp The Franklin Hunting & Fishing Grunter Hunter  previewed here on my favourite fishing forum. To be fair we have a great following here so while I don't exactly have approval from the club committee yet here is what we have planned: 

Date June 6 - yes it is a Sunday, yes it is a long weekend, some like that, some don't but it will happen when I can do it and I can do it on that day Big smile

We will have $2k or 3k for first prize - got to sort that yet, $1500 2nd and $1000 1st with $500 for an average weight. Prizes will go to 20th (all prize values are yet to be confirmed!)

Fishing is from Raglan North Head to Kaipara South Head including the Manukau Harbour.

Fishing starts at 12.01am Sunday June 6 and you must be in the weigh in queue at Te Toro by 4.00pm Sunday 6. Only one fish to be weighed per angler. 

There will be food & raffles but BYO drinks.

Lucky draws and raffles so bring some $2 coins and $5 notes

We will have an in store 'how to' session at Franklin H&F on May 29.

Tickets will be available on-line in a week or so and can also be bought at Franklin H&F in a week or so.

Last year this comp was won by a 14 year old boy surfcasting off Graham's Beach. I have never even placed higher than 5th Big smile

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Replies:
Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:40am
Awesome news Smudge, just what I was hoping to see when I logged in Big smileThumbs Up

See you there, hopefully might be bringing an extra or 2 this year.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:08am
We shall come
We shall slay
We will make it payday.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
June 6   ..D Day 
Cool. 
Mid sized tides.
Nautical dawn  6:15 /6:30am
 Low tide general Manukau Around 1:15am
Full around 7:30am
Low 1:30pm and enough time to fish over the last change tide and get back to the ramp.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Awesome news Smudge, just what I was hoping to see when I logged in Big smileThumbs Up

See you there, hopefully might be bringing an extra or 2 this year.

Be good to see you there Wayno

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

We shall come
We shall slay
We will make it payday.

We shall see Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

June 6   ..D Day 
Cool. 
Mid sized tides.
Nautical dawn  6:15 /6:30am
 Low tide general Manukau Around 1:15am
Full around 7:30am
Low 1:30pm and enough time to fish over the last change tide and get back to the ramp.

Yes good tides and you raise a good point Steps. When it comes to picking a date for a comp that is tide dependent you only have two choices as the tides more or less repeat a two weekly cycle and of course the comps are on a weekend.

I often hear 'why don't you choose a 3.00 high tide'?

It's because we don't do comps on a Wednesday Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:08am
Yeah , I should be able to manage this Big smile

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Yeah , I should be able to manage this Big smile

Think of all the rum bribes you will get if you're our weighmaster Skoti? You up for weighing?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
But of course , gotta keep the punters honest !

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:16pm
When it comes to picking a date for a comp that is tide dependent you only have two choices as the tides more or less repeat a two weekly cycle and of course the comps are on a weekend.

I have often wondered about tides etc when choice of date is made.
Some comps thu...
I can understand if the annual comp has been tied to a certain date or weekend...dont have a lot of choice on the tides.

Just looking at the Waikato Bar tides.full at 7am
 Damn smallish boat 5.5m and if wind right and swell under 1m  could push coming in after 3:45pm not enough time to get back to Hoods, let along back to Te Torro.
 On the other hand..its a 1m low tide...If swell well under 1m, KNOW you have the channel RIGHT.

Also the local Waikato Harbour master is rather onto it and most likely have checked the river and Marker pegs that one lines up coming in.

As the Waikato  is tide/ wind/timing dependent (most bars are), If these are on the favourable side the bars will also line up   Thumbs Up

Roll on D Day

Date Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:43pm
Here we go:
The 2021 Franklin Hunting & Fishing Grunter Hunter is happening on June 6th. Ticket sales are now available online https://www.csfc.co.nz/Events-1/Registration-forms?fbclid=IwAR345QxbFiwNm9q9L71sZMAB4-4O3HLujH6k5riNI7SXKsIhrS84nbDqJKQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.csfc.co.nz/Events-1/Registration-forms or from the Franklin Hunting & Fishing store - see Matt, Chad and the rest of the team for tickets and advice on rigs etc. Tickets are $35 per adult and $20 for under 16's (under 16 on June 6th). First prize is a whopping $3000 and there are prizes to 20th place plus an average weight prize of $500. Here are the rules:
1 Anglers must present their ticket to the Weighmaster to be eligible for prizes even if not weighing a fish
2 Only Red Gurnard are eligible. Weighed fish will be clipped, only intact fish will be weighed
3 All fish must be caught on a rod & reel
4 Fishing starts at 12.01am Sunday June 6th
5 Weigh in opens at 3.00pm Anglers must be in the weigh in queue at the Te Toro Green Shed by 4.00pm on the day of the competition – no exceptions
6 Anglers may fish the Manukau Harbour or the West Coast from Raglan North Head to Kaipara South Head
7 There will be no drawn prizes apart from Spot prizes. EG no 20th place fish – no prize drawn
8 Spot Prize winners must be present to claim prizes
9 Juniors must be UNDER 16 years old on June 6th
10 Only one gurnard may be weighed per angler. If two fish the same weight are weighed then the first of those fish weighed will be deemed to be the heaviest
11 There will be no alcohol sales at the venue
12 On-Line Ticket sales close Friday 4th June at 9.00pm. Ticket sales from H&F will cease C.O.B. Saturday 5th June.
13 There will be no ticket sales on the day
14 Safety is every skippers responsibility
Cheers Smudge and the team

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:20pm
You don't need to be a club member to fish this - you don't even need a boat. Last year the event was won by a 14 year old boy using a surfcaster. Here's the best bit - first prize is $3000. We will be holding a 'How to' session at the big Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing store on the morning of Saturday May 29. We will be able to give you some up to date info on where the fish are and tips on how to catch them. No secrets! A good chance to catch up and pick up your tickets.

-------------

Posted By: Schecter
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 3:13pm
Nice one Smudge.  I'm signed up for my first Grunter Hunter competition.  I'm looking forward to it.  

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:34am
Are you fishing it out of the kayak Jeremy?

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:47am

AlanL & self intend entering subject to non cancellation of the event as Alan will be coming from Hawkes Bay.

Both of us looking forward to it & meeting other forum members also
re acquainting with familiar faces.

Cheers Bazza & AlanL 

-------------
Coming to the realisation that you are the same age of old folk is kinda weird but real scary finding out being "over the hill" means life goes faster down hill !

Date Posted: 25 May 2021 at 7:23pm
Be good to catch up Bazza & to meet Alan. 

A reminder that tickets aren't for sale on the day and that this Saturday me and a mate or two are holding a 'how to' session at Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing this Saturday morning between 9 & 12

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:47pm
Got my ticket yesterday , hopefully my skipper will put us on the big salamis , oops I meant gurnard LOL

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Date Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:38pm
Yes I am.  There will be a few of us kayakers going out as a group.  Are you entering?

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Schecter Schecter wrote:

Yes I am.  There will be a few of us kayakers going out as a group.  Are you entering?
yeah I’m thinking about it. Don’t want to fish it alone though, can I tag along with your team?

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

yeah I’m thinking about it. Don’t want to fish it alone though, can I tag along with your team?

I believe Manukau Yaks on FB is the group Tele. I can get you some details if need be?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Be good to catch up Bazza & to meet Alan. 

A reminder that tickets aren't for sale on the day and that this Saturday me and a mate or two are holding a 'how to' session at Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing this Saturday morning between 9 & 12

Alan & self have our tickets so over to you now to arrange the weather .... have been impressing Alan re your magical powers over the conditions on the day ... so please don't let us down or prove me wrong.

-------------
Coming to the realisation that you are the same age of old folk is kinda weird but real scary finding out being "over the hill" means life goes faster down hill !

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:27pm
I thought the weather came with the ticket??
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:10am
I've seen Alan's, Bazzas, Skoti's & Schectors tickets come through - awesome! I've just got off the phone from the weather gods and for a very reasonable fee they have arranged a very good day for us.  I'm even a little hopeful that the coast will be fishable this year - every so often a decent gurnard gets caught out there. This cold snap we have right now though is just perfect timing and will draw the gurnard into the shallows of the harbour.

I'm off to Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing after my coffee and stuff where we are putting on a bit of a 'how to' session for those who want to learn a little about catching carrots.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:26am
Hey mate.  That's all good with me.  Some of us will camp out near our location, others will meet us at the beach.  Will fill you in on the details soon Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:38pm
Where do u guys camp, what beach?
Pretty sure there is camping facilities at the green shed (CSFC and weigh in) .. Te torro ramp.

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:21pm

Where do u guys camp, what beach?
Pretty sure there is camping facilities at the green shed (CSFC and weigh in) .. Te torro ramp.

Yes there is plenty of room at Te Toro, and there are toilet facilities there. I'm local to the ramp but I have a house full already with Wayno and possibly a mate of his or two staying at the Hillbilly Mansion but if freedom campers can stay at Te Toro for a week we can set you up in the paddock there.

This is actually the 10th GH I'll see if I can fisnd the original thread on here.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:23pm
We can camp at Te Toro?  Great!  How can I sign up?

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:46pm

We can camp at Te Toro?  Great!  How can I sign up?

You are signed up for the comp! If you're worried about details around camping call me 021 654741 and I can meet you down there and sort you out. I live only 5 mins from the ramp/shed/reserve. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 10:49pm

Of what origin is the name Te Toro .......... Spanish or Maori & what does it stand for ???

BTW ... is a genuine question as have sometimes wondered & no I don't accept it means  "Where mammoth gurnard live" or nearby Pollok means "That is before Smudge & Skoti caught them all"

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:10am
I think it is this:

3. (noun) extension, stretching.

There are several  meanings for toro but that is what I think it means as Te Toro is like a little peninsula reaching out into the water. I may be wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:05am
Just bought 2 tickets

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 1:59pm
Will two be enough to beat Bazza and me? 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Will two be enough to beat Bazza and me? 
Alan

Don't let on to anyone our secret Al ... ie we  intend to use possums as live bait ...........

Bugger after posting this realised it was a forum post & not a pm as intended.

Guess the cat ( in this case the possum ) has well & truly been let out of the bag !!! 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, berley or something.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:31pm

Boat , he'll forget the boat........

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:09pm

No worries ... am planning on having Al sleeping in it overnight just to make sure ... might even provide a life jacket for him to rest his head on but don't want to risk him getting too comfy & nodding off ... as he is on early morning coffee making duty & if he does a good job of it may even let him have a cup as well ... if he does a REALLY good job might just put some coffee in it.  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:36pm
We're doomed Capt Mainwaring

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:51pm

We're doomed Capt Mainwaring

Lance corporal Jones Sir .... permission to speak sir.

All right go ahead Lance Corporal.

They don't like it up em Capt Mainwaring ... so all will be or right sir !

-------------

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm

I've just got off the phone from the weather gods and for a very reasonable fee they have arranged a very good day for us.  

Just checked the forecast, I think you need to get back on the phone and remind them which day the good weather was for.

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:33pm
midday predict wind has 24 knots windyty and swellmap have the same.  

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:47pm
They are wrong, I've already organised the weather

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:52pm
I have a backup plan

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:43pm

I have a backup plan

big sleep-in?
LOL 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I have a backup plan

big sleep-in?
LOL 

That's plan C

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:42am

I have a backup plan

So do I - it's called rum! eh Smudge Big smileBeer

-------------
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:21am

I have a backup plan

Yupp Big smile

we are meeting tonight to discuss what our next move is if the weather doesn't improve

-------------

Posted By: skunk
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 12:34pm
First time in 9yrs this team not be able to attend the grunt hunt..
A big clash of dates that cant be re- prioritized😶
Hope you guys have a good one ,giant carrots are slayed and smudge , skoti and team are well looked after at the weigh in😉
Good luck all 🤙

-------------
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:11pm

I have a backup plan

Yupp Big smile

we are meeting tonight to discuss what our next move is if the weather doesn't improve

When is a final call being made please & where will the decision be
notified, when & how please.

We intend attending regardless of the final decision but would think there would be many like us that will have to make arrangements accordingly to suit, so notification asap would be an enormous help.

Gotta feel for the guys that have the unenviable task of making the final call but is essential someone has to.  

-------------

Posted By: Transformations
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 5:57pm
Always a tough call with a comp. Weather looks much better next weekend ....no chance of a reschedule I suppose

-------------
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 2:43am

I have a backup plan

This is my plan A LOL

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Always a tough call with a comp. Weather looks much better next weekend ....no chance of a reschedule I suppose

There is every chance, we will make the call Friday evening

-------------

Posted By: Transformations
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:49am
That's a relief...25kn is a little out of my comfort zone on an open inflatable 😁

-------------
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 1:35pm
Decision has been made.
The Grunter Hunter will be held tomorrow in Tauranga. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:00pm

Decision has been made.
The Grunter Hunter will be held tomorrow in Tauranga. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Shocked

Sorry all but we have made the decision to postpone the GH until the 20th June. Hard decision  but 20kn NE is nasty in the harbour. The forecast is worse than that Confused

Please let me know if you have seen this post as It's going to be a busy weekend for me & the committee getting in touch with everyone

-------------

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:08pm

Decision has been made.
Shocked

Sorry all but we have made the decision to postpone the GH until the 20th June. Hard decision  but 20kn NE is nasty in the harbour. The forecast is worse than that Confused

Please let me know if you have seen this post as It's going to be a busy weekend for me & the committee getting in touch with everyone
Thanks,wil tickets still availiable till the 20th??
Weather seems to be improving,ne 12knts.midday predict wind.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:52pm
Yes we will continue to sell tickets

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm

-------------
Top 10 finish
2022 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:21pm

Decision has been made.
Shocked

Postponement advice noted ... AlanL advised also.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:22pm
Thanks guys - will have a crack at 20th.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: deacs
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
And there I was thinking I would finally get to fish one! 2022 will be my year...

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by deacs deacs wrote:

And there I was thinking I would finally get to fish one! 2022 will be my year...

Sorry Deacs, we don't make these decisions lightly, but yeah good luck for 2022, like The Warriors I hope it is your year! We will refund if you already have a ticket

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:47pm

Alan

Thanks Alan & Bazza 2 less phone calls to make Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:05pm
Postponement noted , but my plan A still stands Thumbs Up

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 7:49am

Alan

Yeah ... but you failed to mention that in the interim we will both be living on possum pie !

-------------

Posted By: baitcatcher
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm

Ahh, you guy's obviously don't know Bazza like I do,
A word of advise to Alan A, I know Barry will be driving his luxury motorhome and Alan will be towing Barry's boat to stay overnight at Te Toro for a bright and early start.
While parked up after a dinner of "possum pie"(it's quiet enjoyable with Watties tomato sauce, & a couple of rums or three ....😊)

If Barry falls asleep after dinner and you can see the night stars he be sleeping in his boat and will probably be freezing in the morning.......

also if Barry tell you at the ramp to let him know while launching, when the back wheels are covered with water,it's probably his motorhome!, just let him know to pull back out and to remember the motorhome has no rod-holder's.

Good luck Alan,all the best😉.
     I've personally really enjoyed a few overnite stays myself in Barry's motorhome 😊.

Photo of Barry really enjoying his fav meal of a hearty possum stew.

The memory of Barry and I waiting 3 odd hours for the tide to come back in after running aground on the Kaipara harbour,(he couldn't see the sand banks as his new 12inch sounder was in the way of the windscreen)
a little scary as a lightning and rain storm ​was heading towards us and we were in his aluminum boat high and dryĺ!(it did give me time to fillet our usual catch of Snapper,Gurnard & kahawai )

Baitcatcher

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:13pm
Hmm - now I am wondering what I have signed up for.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 5:18pm

Alan

Tough ..... no refunds.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm

Alan

That's only the start of it Alan Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by baitcatcher baitcatcher wrote:

[QUOTE=Skoti] [QUOTE=kitno]Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, 

If Barry falls asleep after dinner and you can see the night stars he be sleeping in his boat and will probably be freezing in the morning.......

The memory of Barry and I waiting 3 odd hours for the tide to come back in after running aground on the Kaipara harbour,(he couldn't see the sand banks as his new 12inch sounder was in the way of the windscreen)
a little scary as a lightning and rain storm ​was heading towards us and we were in his aluminum boat high and dryĺ!(it did give me time to fillet our usual catch of Snapper,Gurnard & kahawai )

Baitcatcher

Doubt if either of us will forget that day in a hurry Vinnie.

My recollection of events as follows :-

A weather bomb of severe magnitude was forecast for about the time we had planned on a days fishing, but as the time drew near so did severe forecast weather warnings. In retrospect was probably the dreaded "calm before the storm" however there was barely a whisper of wind so we opted to go ahead as planned  with both of us agreeing if conditions showed any sign of deteriorating then we would make a bolt back to the ramp.

Seem to recall the fishing was steady & a couple of times jet black clouds swept across the horizon but did not come our way so kept on fishing. Not long after our luck ran out when the clouds changed direction on a path directly towards us so was up anchor & off but with both the boat & storm moving rapidly was not long before we were on a collision course into torrential rain & near zero vision making the channel marker stakes almost invisible ... Then suddenly we momentarily caught sight of one thru the dark blanket of rain so took off at full throttle in that general direction. What we had failed to notice there was an intermediate marker off to our left
meaning we were heading straight for a sand bar ... a fact that as the pic shows became quite apparent when we found ourselves high & dry on a falling tide.

Not long after that mother nature released her full fury in the form of buckets full of rain but of far greater concern accompanied with a constant barrage of lightning bolts & deafening claps of thunder that seemed to be getting closer by  the minute. The rain was such we chose to run the bilge pump rather than risk the weight & suction preventing the boat from floating up with the tide when it eventually arrived.

After what seemed an eternity the conditions eased so I jumped over the side to see if the boat could be rocked in order to help break the suction when the tide eventually returned which proved to be an exercise in futility upon sinking to my knees in mud ... using up any reserves of energy in the formidable task of struggling back in the boat ... certainly not a comfortable situation to find yourself in .... stuck firmly in the mud with a rising tide & in falling light.

The oyster boat on its' way in stopped to see if it could help but faced the same problem of deep mud preventing them from doing so ... we had managed to contact CG advising we were not in any real danger unless the boat failed to float ... but if so, they would not have made it on time anyway leaving only two options of either float in our life jackets secured by rope to the sunken boat or attempt to "belly swim" across the mud to the shore.

Eventually to our great relief the tide came in, the boat floated & the motor started, followed by a cautious return in the rank in the dark. 

One thing we did debate when the lightning was at it's peak was should we take the rods down from the rocket launcher where  they could act as lightning rods or risk something else (including us) about the boat to be struck.

Does anyone know the answer to that ?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:46pm
Got anything like that planned for the 20th Bazza?
Sounds like fun.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:27pm

Got anything like that planned for the 20th Bazza?
Sounds like fun.
Alan

Nothing as tame as that ... however if our proposed day out on the Kaipara eventuates we will be quite close to the RNZAF bomb range, so painting a bullseye on the top of the canopy, advise them there will be a marine target then see how many bombs we can dodge .......

Would that be the type of thing you would consider fun ?????????

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:37pm
[QUOTE=bazza][QUOTE=baitcatcher] [QUOTE=Skoti] 

[QUOTE=kitno]Bazza will forget to bring his fishing rod, anchor, 

We heard he had lost/misplaced his false teeth...

Found them! LOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:12am

My recollection of events as follows :- ........

It is days, events like this , that if did not happen, one turns out to be a very boring old grandfather with no stories AND lessons for the grandchildren...
Its also noted, such events are usually remembered with humour and a sort of a fondness.

And glad to see you back in the forms Vinnie...

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:17am

My recollection of events as follows :- ........

It is days, events like this , that if did not happen, one turns out to be a very boring old grandfather with no stories AND lessons for the grandchildren...
Its also noted, such events are usually remembered with humour and a sort of a fondness.

And glad to see you back in the forms Vinnie...

I cant wait. Roll on the 20th.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:36am

We heard he had lost/misplaced his false teeth...

Found them! LOL

/QUOTE]

Hey Al ( aka Catchelot )

Is that the same critter that pecked a hole in your inflatable doll ... ie your favourite one amongst your collection with all the life like features and functions including a set of dentures.

You must be heart broken .....................

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:56am

Weather looking much more promising for the 20 th than the build up to the previous date of the 
6 th.

http://www.swellmap.com/boating/new-zealand/manukau%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.swellmap.com/boating/new-zealand/manukau

-------------

Posted By: 1b5
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:48pm
Bazza & I went for a pre comp & caught these little critters

He was over the moon to land THE biggest carrot of the day!LOL

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:55pm
That's a nice fish for Bazza. Did you guys get a length measure on it? Best I be checking his fish for freezer burn Big smile

Pity your pic is cut off at the neck, would make a good photo

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:43am
No freezer burn - it is in Bazzas live bait tank :-)
ooops.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:32am
Hey Jimmy .... you forgot to mention that carrot was the smallest one
& the possum live baits worked a treat yet again, attracting a heap of bigger specimens which we relea after succuming in that special spot
recorded on the chart plotter.

No point in trying to follow us on Sunday as Al & self plan to be well disguised courtesy of Skoti who has kindly offered to loan us as yet
unseen outfits from his collection. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:06am

That's a nice fish for Bazza. Did you guys get a length measure on it? Best I be checking his fish for freezer burn Big smile

Force of habit unfortunately Smudge as usually not enough room in the frame for both his fish & face ... so something has to go.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Force of habit unfortunately Smudge as usually not enough room in the frame for both his fish & face ... so something has to go.

But did you measure the fish????

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:34am

Hardly worth measuring such a tiny specimen but will ask Jimmy as he might have.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:41am

ooops.
Alan

YOU KNOW HIM WELL!!!!! (Hi Alan) He's hand feeding that carrot with mantis shrimps trying to gain another few cms as we speak

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:42am

just shy of 50cm but it could be over on SundayParty

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:56am
Originally posted by 1b5 1b5 wrote:

Classy fish, you guys better bring lots of rum if you want to weigh that one on Sunday LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:22am

ooops.
Alan

Hey Al ... don't forget to bring that 80 lb flouro trace you have as mine is only 50 lb & probably not enough for those possum hungry mega carrots.

Don't forget either that you will be hiding the livies under the dress Skoti is loaning you & best we don't tie them up as is best if they are
still able to move about freely. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:33am

Originally posted by 1b5 1b5 wrote:

Classy fish, you guys better bring lots of rum if you want to weigh that one on Sunday LOL

Given my luck  no need to worry eg the only thing  in my entire life I have won was a baby show & nothing ever since.

Seem to remember on a previous GH myself & Vinnie were entered in we went fishing on Saturday & you reckoned a couple of our catch would probably qualified for a prize. Of course, as usual Murphys' law prevailed & Sundays' catch was nowhere near qualifying.

At least we could not be accused of cheating.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:28pm
So I went for a practise today too.
And NO - this is not Bazzas fish in the live bait tank.

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:15pm
Hehe I remember that and I would expect nothing else from a couple of fine gents such as you and Vinnie  Bazza. Won't stop me making accusations though Big smile

Good catch Alan, now you just have to repeat that on Sunday in the Big Muddy

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:16pm
This is the 10th event and the first time I haven't been out hammering it to get in practice. Maybe I'll win it for a change! Or not Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:31pm

This is the 10th event and the first time I haven't been out hammering it to get in practice. Maybe I'll win it for a change! Or not Big smile
Yep - one or the other.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:18am
Damn , a bit of an eye of a storm developing off Tazzy/ Sydney area....And with the big storms in the Sthern Ocean below Aussie...
 Sunday is not looking the best again,
And not looking as if there cold be a short weather window to time to come in for the GH...
 Crossing fingers thu...

Time of yr.. we are coming up to the shortest day.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 12:13pm

Mine is bigger than Bazza's . Thats all that matters.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 12:23pm

Mine is bigger than Bazza's . Thats all that matters.
Alan

Nothing matters until 4.00pm Sunday

-------------

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 1:21pm
A lazy fiver on Smudge could be a good bet - Skoti definitely a longshot by the looks of this...

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 2:19pm
Is that one coming out again on Sunday?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:34pm

Is that one coming out again on Sunday?
Alan

I dunno if Skoti intends on 'coming out' kind of looks like he already has in that pic.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
Oh - missed that - was too interested in the gurnard.
looks like he is beyond repair. Strange company you keep.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Print Page | Close Window