Subject: Cracked it
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm

2 hours and countless casts finally nailed one

Replies:
Posted By: jac
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:29pm

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:33pm
Awesome! Did you get it in a river? and you have to spill the beans on how please...

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:47pm
Yeahp in a river got some nice rainbows as well. Mate tied up some last minute flys marabou and chinel. Used a small weighted nymph to get the weed imitation down. Very slow strip strike. Hooked at least 4 rolling them but not connecting. This was by far one of the small models. We might try small bath chain eyes in bone fish style hook up fly next time.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm
Very good, well done! More impressive than seeing a photo of yet another 20lb snapper to my mind Clap

Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:11pm
Yahoo!! That is brilliant Would love to see a pic of the fly. Again, well done!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
Thanks Craig😊 the unusual thing was the mullet were running in same water as trout so a long way from the sea. The fly that worked was truck and trailered with a small nymph and got broken off when I hooked a rainbow �£. We intend to revisit this water with more weed imitation flys next time 👍🏼

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:55am
Yep, I grew up near a river that was 100kms from the sea, but it was full of mullet.

I also know of a good Northland river similar to the one you are fishing that has big schools of large mullet feeding hard on the river algae amongst the big boulders and rapids at the head of the pools. I managed to catch one years ago on an algae imitation. My fly had tiny dumbbell eyes and was fished right on the bottom, but it was hard work. The mullet seemed to be feeding in the zones where the dead algae accumulates, rather than directly on the algae itself. I felt my algae fly was more camouflage for the hook when they came through grubbing rather than something they had eaten as food. All my drifting algae flies had failed. Not until I plonked a weighted fly on the bottom right in their path did I have any success.

I'll have to get back to those rivers in central Northland and give it another go.

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:10am
That's pretty neat. If you can repeat this and work it out you are going to be a fly fishing legend of some sort. Good work.

Posted By: Fraser Hocks
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:31am
Any news Jac?  Would love to hear that its becoming a regular thing Tongue

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
Last seen wandering down a river somewhere muttering unmentionable things about mullet

Posted By: Fraser Hocks
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:12pm
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there Craig Cry

Many a flyfisher has been driven to madness through chasing mullet! 

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Any news Jac?  Would love to hear that its becoming a regular thing Tongue

Cracked it might have been a too generous a term.
Have not revisited that water since I managed last time. Water maybe too cold now, think fish maybe that far up to spawn?
Will definitely have a go same time next year.

Could quite easily have been as Craig had mentioned (mutter mutter mullet) if I had been back. Definitely a frustrating acquisition

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 5:32pm
I just visited a bush clad Northland stream that is rumoured to have trout in it.

Didn't catch a trout or see a trout, but I did catch a mullet!!!

Fish took a size 10 nymph/wet fly thing with small gold dumbbell eyes. Took the fly on a blind deep drift through a slow patch of deepish water. Thought I had a good trout on. Very stoked to catch it

Of course when I actually tried to catch another mullet they wouldn't have a bar of me

The crazy mullet mystery continues...

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:10pm
Now that would have been a very pleasant surprise from a blind deep drift! 😊

Nice size too 👏🏽
Choice Craig

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:37pm
Nice,caught some in brackish water and flesh went to mush. Who would of they be that far up away from salt water.

-------------
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:48pm
Good stuff FishMan!

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 10:22pm
Nice, you guys must have extra large patience glands

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:16pm