Print Page | Close Window

Morgan 6.3m

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: Tech Topics
Forum Description: IT - Computers, software, phones, ISP's....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135049
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:51am

Topic: Morgan 6.3m
Posted By: snaprr27
Subject: Morgan 6.3m
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:44am
Hi there, can anyone advise me or send me in the right direction for trying to find out the weight of my 6.3m morgan.
Any help appreciated. Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:31am
Hi ya, my nephew has 1, txt me i can put you in touch with him, 021 243 1971

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:37am

Do you want the trailer Tow Weight or the Gross Weight of the boat on the water?
 If the latter..
What HP at the prop is the engine?
 Does the engine rev out in the manufactures  WoT rpm range?
What is the top speed attained on flat water at the best trim for that speed?

If gross tow weight..

A weigh bridge... thu Im not so sure about the accuracy of some weigh bridges or the last time they got re calibrated.

If and if and likely it is a duel axle trailer.. remove the wheels on the axle that give best balance of the boat and follow the following... and its important to do so as accruate as possble.

Did you know you can weight the boat (only the boat)  on the trailer with bathroom scales?

keep the engine tilt as low was possible, but high enough to just clear the ground..

measure all weights in lbs

measure All distances in inches

1/Put the sales under the hitch, a length timber long enough to JUST lift the hitch and take the weight on the scales...  with trailer level or slightly low at the front.

record the weight  call it   w1

2/ slide the boat back on the trailer about 12" to 20"

measure the distance accruately and record it  d1.. the accuracy of this measurement is very critical to the end result

d1

3/ now with hitch same height record the weight as before You may not be able to move the boat a full 20" as the balance on the trailer may put the hitch up in the air....if so just move back till just have enough weight to measure at the hitch....OR put a known weight on the bow deck.. say a 40L water container full right at the start , before taking 1st weight (W1)

OR simply move a lot of stowed gear equipment well forward.

Measure this weight    w2

4/ now measure the distance from the center  where the bit of wood its on the scales to the center of the axle.

d2

Boat weight = d2(w1-w2)/d1

If put an extra weight on the bow of the boat, now subtract that weight.

Sounds strange.. like stuff like center gravity, weight of trailer etc... If one does the full calculation create the full equation, including these constants and gravity , center of mass and stuff....then compact the equation, all those factors cancel out and one is left with the above equation. Therefore if the constants like trailer weight... which we dont know cancel themselves out then we dont need that information in the 1st place lol

Print Page | Close Window