Forum Name: Saltwater Flyflingers
Forum Description: A forum for saltwater fly fishing enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134763
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:38am

Topic: Building the Boca Grande
Posted By: WillP
Subject: Building the Boca Grande
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:43am
I purchased the Swift Boca Grande 12wt and to be honest i,m still trying to get over the concept and waiting for the catch, So you pay half the price and your get a beautifully handcrafted kit set that's worthy as shelf ornament as it is, you then get to build it, yes build it for free! or even better for half the price so they are actually paying you money to build it LOL.
This was my first attempt at wrapping a rod blank and never even thought of it before.
I watched you tube videos before and after and learnt as I went.
The biggest tips I founf my most beneficial where
1 let the epoxy sit for 5 mins after mixing and watch all the air bubbles disappear
2 Thin the first coat by 30% and let the mix wik into the threads
3 The second coat is non thinned and this is where you will see or your imperfections show up, in between the second and third coats take some strips of 2000 grit sandpaper and whilst on the rod turner wet sand the wraps, They dont need much, you will see the wraps turn opaque. On the 3rd coat watch and be amazed.

I purchased the $80 C&M rod turner, I did the wraps on this as well as the gluing and drying, for how simple it is most definitely something you can not do with out.

All in all a awesome project that I can well recommend any one to give it a go next time you need a new rod.

Replies:
Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:05pm
Looking good
I didn't realise you could save so much money! It just goes to show the cost of labour in New Zealand. Then there's all that drying time and checking etc. Yep, I can see how it is worthwhile for Epic to sell them this way

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:20pm
It looks great mate, can't wait to see you catch a giant king on that.  Now I also know who to ask to build me one Wink

Print Page | Close Window