Print Page | Close Window

Waikato river Coarse fishing

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Freshwater Fishing
Forum Name: Coarse Fishing
Forum Description: Anything coarse here....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134604
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:35pm

Topic: Waikato river Coarse fishing
Posted By: CrayZfish
Subject: Waikato river Coarse fishing
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm
First time carp fishing on the waikato today. Plenty seen before the rods were even set. Two traditional carp fishermen in their element. Me and the boys just along for the look. The rods were cast out wide initially with double hook rigs and burley wrapped round the sinker. Half an hour later after a couple snags the first koi came ashore, followed shortly by a better one. But after seeing lots of splashes and orange fins coming out of the water in and around the oxygen weed. A change of rig and corn for bait turned into a double of rudd for my five year old. And a few more after that too. Quite easily actually I was very intrigued. A few mullet in the net for bait wrapped up a nice couple hours in the sun.

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Replies:
Posted By: spin king
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
what a sweet arvo! do you eat the rudd? (is that a thing?)

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:09pm
No idea. First time seeing them. But to be honest for a reasonable size fish they have bugger all meat on them and a massive rib cage/gut cavity. I guess because their veges that have to eat a lot to grow. Makes sense. The flesh was nice and white unlike the red meat of the koi.

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:18am
Rudd are good for bait Stephen

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:52am
Seen lots of orange tails in the muddy stream that enters that  the waikato river when you cross the bridge at taupiri.
Do you need a licence to catch them??

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:00am
Great stuff crazyfish!
I've caught a few rudd and koi in Hamilton but the koi can be very wary and sometimes very big and hard to land. Also snagged them with a weighted treble.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:32am
Have been thinking about one day putting in at Hoods landing and doing a koi fish (and what ever else turns up)
Thinking one of the SB bait rods rods.
 Have no idea how or where, so if someone else is interested.
 Been told they put up rather and exciting fight.

So long as it is not clash with a weather window for the bar Wink

We used to be able to get koi in the local fish shop in Sth Auckland. Tried koi as a general salt water bait and worked well. But need to get the mini shields (scales) off 1st

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Seen lots of orange tails in the muddy stream that enters that  the waikato river when you cross the bridge at taupiri.
Do you need a licence to catch them??
The river is full of them, im pretty sure they are free game, as the koi are a noxious species, only rule i know is that you must kill them on catch and not catch to release. May be others but no license required.
The rudd are also a pest, so probably the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Rudd are good for bait Stephen
Good to know, i started filleting them for that purpose then gave up after the first, and just froze them whole,

Maybe ill cut a side off one and strayline it off the coast like Geoff does, although i know what i'll catch and it probably wont be red.

-------------

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:39pm
In legal terms, rudd are a game species in Auckland/Waikato.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

In legal terms, rudd are a game species in Auckland/Waikato.

Interesting that there are specified Coarse fishing waters, i'm assuming areas not listed are excluded including the Waikato river?

Auckland/WaikatoLocation: Coarse fishing is present in most lakes north of Hamilton, including Lake Pupuke and Hamilton Lake. This is the only region where you can fish for rudd as well as tench and perch.

The following are designated as coarse fishing waters:

• All lakes and ponds except the Mangatangi Reservoir and the Mangatawhiri Reservoir.
  • Mangatawhiri River from the bridge on SH2 to its confluence with the Waikato River
  • Whangamarino River

Season: Most rivers are closed from during July, August and September, though all lakes and sections of some rivers are open all year. Please check the Auckland/Waikato Regulations for the river or lake you plan to fish.

Bag limit: You must not kill more than 5 tench in a day. There is no limit for perch or rudd.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window