Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134603
Printed Date: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:00am

Topic: Solo smorgasbord
Posted By: Johnny Watson
Subject: Solo smorgasbord
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:54am

Belated TR from last weekend. Did well on a solo mission up around Omaha and Kawau. Came across a massive workup in the morning, so lobbed out a Kingy jig in amongst it. Ended up catching 5 Snapper on that quickly up to about 10 pound. I left the mounting number of JAFFAS behind and carried on to the intended spot x. Dropped the pick on arrival and put out a massive live Slimey Mackerel. That got hammered by a Kingfish quickly, and got shadowed to the boat by a big Bronze Whaler Shark... I whipped the hook out its gob and chucked in the second and last massive Slimey Mackerel with urgency, as the Kings can be all on or all off in a matter of seconds. Well it lasted about 15 seconds and I was hooked up again, and again it was shadowed by the Shark. Good start! I started deploying Snapper baits and the Snapper were absolutely destroying the big baits. I landed plenty of good ones up to 17.5 pounds, and missed some smoking runs.... I put a smaller Slimey Mackerel out the back again, and that got hit after about an hour resulting in another nice little Kingfish. I had done well here so shot back to another spot x to try for a John Dory or 3 closer to the ramp. I managed 3 good ones over an hour or so, with one being a beauty at 6 pounds. I dropped a few solid ones too... Landed another small King and 2 more good Snapper here before pulling the pick and heading in early afternoon. Pretty hard to beat this time of the year πŸ‘Œ

Replies:
Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
There are trip reports, Johnny, and then there's flat out rubbing our noses in it!! Big smileThat would pretty much be the highlights of a season or two for me, and you manage it in one trip...
Great effort. There's real skill in landing that medley of fish with the variety of techniques you mention. Well done, mate. 

Posted By: MrW
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
Good stuff and those Jonnys look awesome Thumbs Up

-------------
Here fishy..fishy....

Posted By: lingee
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
nice

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:05pm
Very well done JWClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:30pm
Nice work!

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

There are trip reports, Johnny, and then there's flat out rubbing our noses in it!! Big smileThat would pretty much be the highlights of a season or two for me, and you manage it in one trip...
Great effort. There's real skill in landing that medley of fish with the variety of techniques you mention. Well done, mate.Β 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Had a good laugh at your response TTK. Well you wanted reports, now you are getting them lol.

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh. The fish are always there on the right tide, and it's just really a matter of sending down live or big fresh dead baits into their waiting mouths, and of course timing the strikes right....

I went out again for a strayline last night and did pretty good, though not as good as this trip, but that will be another report soon πŸ˜‰

I appreciate the feedback mate. Cheers πŸ‘

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Good stuff and those Jonnys look awesome Thumbs Up

Cheers Mr Wildabeast. The John Dory sure are awesome looking and tasting fish! Massive fatty fillets came off that big one. I'm lucky enough to have a mark that produces them very consistently, with 14 being my best catch by myself in a few hours, and multiple times I've landed over 10 and dropped at least that number again winding them up!!!

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

nice

Cheers Lingee πŸ‘

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Very well done JWClap

Cheers Catchelot, appreciate the feedback ✌

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Nice work!

Cheers Telecaster, such a great time of year up there πŸ‘Œ

Posted By: Sanchez
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:26pm
freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.  

Posted By: Rozboon
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:36pm
Delicious mixed bag there, not sure which one I would eat first.

(Probably Kingfish sashimi entree then JD main...)

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.Β Β 

Haha cheers Sanchez. It seems the Slimey Mackerel in the tank in the bottom pic had the jitters looking down at his fate πŸ˜‚

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Delicious mixed bag there, not sure which one I would eat first.

(Probably Kingfish sashimi entree then JD main...)

It sure was some amazing eating Rozboon. They are all so bloody tasty in their own rights!

Actually just finished the last bits of JD and Snapper in beer batter half an hour ago, was vacuum packed in the freezer. Tastes like it was caught yesterday πŸ‘Œ

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm
Yeah boy!

Well done mate just another day in the office

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah boy!

Cheers bro! Found some massive schools of Snaps out around your haunts last night too πŸ‘Œ

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:18am
Cool report

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh.

And classic example of of why 5% of rec fishermen catch 95% of rec fish.
Keeping historic records.  I found once figured out the bottom end, it was more a quick prospect of a couple locations that would be coming into 'season' on the way out to planed spots. And those was more gps than sounder fishing.
Once have the 'records' one always goes home with a feed.

Mark Twain : " luck is directly proportional to the effort put in"

Posted By: Far Quirk
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
Like the Tamure Kid said, that one session contains all the highlights from several seasons for me.  You da boss.  Liked.

-------------
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Cool report

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of
Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the
outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls
are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh.

Β And classic example of of why 5% of rec fishermen catch 95% of rec fish.
Keeping historic records.Β  I found once figured out the bottom end, it was more a quick prospect of a couple locations that would be coming into 'season' on the way out to planed spots. And those was more gps than sounder fishing.
Once have the 'records' one always goes home with a feed.

Mark Twain : " luck is directly proportional to the effort put in"

Cheers Steps. You are onto it. I have filled out a fishing and diving log book for almost ten years now without missing an entry, it is very worthwhile. Can be a bit tedious keeping up with entries at times (mine are very descriptive), but jotting down the main points on a bit of paper then completing it later on isn't so bad.

As for effort, I always give 110% when it comes to fishing!!! It's a bloody grueling "hobby", crazy early starts and late finishes, extreme weather in a open boat, massive clean ups and preperation, servicing the boat and gear, fishing tackle and fishing gear costs, petrol and diesel....... But I wouldn't give it up for anything!!!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Like the Tamure Kid said, that one session contains all the highlights from several seasons for me.Β  You da boss.Β  Liked.

Cheers for that Far Quirk. I must admit it took me quite a few years to "figure out" how to get to the point where this is a very realistic, almost average, catch in a single morning solo. They aren't huge fish by any means, but it's still pretty satisfying when it all comes together on the day.

It looks like you do a lot of fishing closer to Auckland city? It is definitely worth the extra effort to fish slightly further north or south every now and then IMO, I find the variety and average size can be slightly better. Though it does look like you really enjoy just getting out there and doing it, I think I make it all too serious most the time lol . In saying all that, my biggest Snapper to date came out of the inner Gulf (Noises) earlier this year, so there are still some trophies still lingering around in close.

Tight linesπŸ‘

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.  

Haha cheers Sanchez. It seems the Slimey Mackerel in the tank in the bottom pic had the jitters looking down at his fate πŸ˜‚

On that, Johnny, did you just keep slimeys out of a random collection of mackies from a bait school, or did you target them? - ie they look different on the sounder, or you know a spot or two where they frequent...

I went on a charter out of Sandspit once and the skipper was over the moon when we pulled up some slimeys in the live bait gathering at the start of the day. Sure enough they were nailed in seconds out by Flat Rock, whereas the jack macks took longer to get wolfed down.

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Another Top report Johnny! Put in the work over the years sorting out spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results. Exactly wot I do, Anyone on here thats passionate and slightly mad could improve there fishing ten fold if they followed similar steps. Beer

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm

Yeah boy!

Cheers bro! Found some massive schools of Snaps out around your haunts last night too πŸ‘Œ

Yep when I ain't there be about right lmao

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.Β Β 

On that, Johnny, did you just keep slimeys out of a random collection of mackies from a bait school, or did you target them? - ie they look different on the sounder, or you know a spot or two where they frequent...

I went on a charter out of Sandspit once and the skipper was over the moon when we pulled up some slimeys in the live bait gathering at the start of the day. Sure enough they were nailed in seconds out by Flat Rock, whereas the jack macks took longer to get wolfed down.

TTK, I kept some smaller-medium sized Slimey Macs which I managed in between a school of Jack Macs. I left that spot and started heading towards my destination, pretty confident I would mark more bait sign on my way and drop sabikis into (my TM185M shows bait sign as a vertical line at full speed which rocks!). Well I got all of 2-300 meters and marked a solid ball of bait. I marked it then went back around and bingo, an absolute haystack of massive Slimeys. I landed 2 donkeys, dropped 2 donkeys at the boat, and had 2 sets of sabikis smashed to smithereens by the time they scattered.

When you see bigs schools of Slimey Macs they are easy to distinguish. They come up as a very dense ball on my sounder, the brightest colour return your palette setting will give! Very similar to schools of Pilchards in ways, though the individual targets are absolutely bigger when zoomed in in CHIRP. When they are with Jack's you may or may not see the difference in the marks.

I actually prefer Jack Macs or Slimeys as fresh and livebait in most scenarios, but as you found they can be better in certain areas. The bigger ones are good liveys, but the smaller ones aren't as resilient as the Jack's.

Spring time seems to be a really good time to catch them in the Gulf, and they aren't too hard find out off Omaha at the moment. There are actually plenty of Koheru to be caught up there too if you know how, I've loaded up on 20-30 barrels up there some mornings, but those things are a whole different ball game altogether lol.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Another Top report Johnny! Put in the work over the years sorting out spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results. Exactly wot I do, Anyone on here thats passionate and slightly mad could improve there fishing ten fold if they followed similar steps. Beer

Cheers Geoff, the fishing has been good and so has the weather most weekends. Nothing too big, but decent size and a few species on offer.

You nailed it when you said "spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results". Finding spots that hold fish is a must. Quality gear can mean the difference between landing or losing the fish of a lifetime, and gives real confidenceto the angler. I have all my rigs tied and rigs/tackle ready for almost anything that happens to happen on any given day. Can take the smallest of adjustments some days to buy a bite, then somedays anything goes.

Hope that west coast plays ball for you again soon 🍻

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm

Yeah boy!

Yep when I ain't there be about right lmao

Don't worry mate I took good care of them for ya πŸ˜‚

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Yep its been rubbish since my last postThumbs DownWesterlies and ugly seas. Bit of a bummer as November the best month here for the big Snaps! At least they putting on weight for next time out Big smile keep the posts coming Johnny!!!!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Yep its been rubbish since my last postThumbs DownWesterlies and ugly seas. Bit of a bummer as November the best month here for the big Snaps! At least they putting on weight for next time outΒ Big smileΒ keep the posts coming Johnny!!!!

I'm sure those easterlies will roll through soon enough, and I'm sure you'll make up for lost time when they do! Cheers

Print Page | Close Window