Print Page | Close Window

Kiwi fishermen have balls of steel, big ones

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134577
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:46am

Topic: Kiwi fishermen have balls of steel, big ones
Posted By: luckydude
Subject: Kiwi fishermen have balls of steel, big ones
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
Holy crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3cHJyomlob" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3cHJyomlob

Replies:
Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by luckydude luckydude wrote:

Holy crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3cHJyomlob" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3cHJyomlob

Not always as calm as that  ...  there is a memorial plinth on the sea wall with the numerous names of those that never made it back in.

There is another clip taken on a REALLY rough day & all the while the skipper is sipping a hot coffee without spilling a drop ... as you rightly put it .... balls of steel indeed.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Holy crap.

Not always as calm as that  ...  there is a memorial plinth on the sea wall with the numerous names of those that never made it back in.

There is another clip taken on a REALLY rough day & all the while the skipper is sipping a hot coffee without spilling a drop ... as you rightly put it .... balls of steel indeed.

All in the day of the life of a westcoast fisherman. You should see it when the sea is up and its rough mate, that was a calm day...Clap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Twosix
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:10pm
looked pretty calm with a gentle swell

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:23pm
Yep- go to a couple of pubs in Greymouth and go look at some of the pics on the walls. 
They will make ya nuts shrivel. That vid is almost flat calm compared to some of the crazy sh-t that skippers have taken there vessels through. Hats off indeed.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:43pm
Yep , seen before. Calm day. No wind chop. River is in flood.
Can you imagine a mechanical failure?
Looks like tuna poles.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
Don't stress Luckydude that isn't the sort of stuff we do as recreational fishermen.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
This is more indicative of what we do. This was us on Saturday:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-ek7asHyY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR09LsqrNJ371HuvGWv3rm_Oc-UEh9dGi19jAb2Cx0z5PnFYINkD5GWz44I" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-ek7asHyY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR09LsqrNJ371HuvGWv3rm_Oc-UEh9dGi19jAb2Cx0z5PnFYINkD5GWz44I

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:00am
Smudge, that looked very calm compared to what I'm used to in California.  I've never been out in less than a 3 foot swell, we consider 3' @ 11 seconds to be flat.  5' @ 11s is pretty normal.  Our crab opener was 15' @ 11s and people went out in that (I did not, I've only got 3 years experience, and less than 1 year as captain, I pick my days so I can come home).

What were you talking about on the radio towards the beginning?  Was the woman with the coast guard or something?

And who's the cheeky kid that didn't want to be filmed?  You were going pretty fast to be trying to fish up bait.

Thanks for the video, looked like a great day!

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm
You should come and fish with us some time Luckydude.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:49pm
The dog was overweight.
And the blue boat was underpowered.

Surely risky even if considered calm.

About time the west coast go funds to give better breakwater entrances then that.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
I'm trying to come fish with you guys, have to get my family on board.  I've got 3 out 4 on board, need to get the 4th.

When I do, I'm bringing my Grady White 228, it seems like it will like your waters and I want to do a 2, 3, 4 boat launch and go fish with you.

Smudge, your run back looked like my ocean, smacks you a bit.  I do the same thing, run in over the guy in fronts wake, it doesn't kill the swells but it smooths out the chop.

All of you saying that was a nice day in the video, um, either you are taking the piss or those balls are bigger than I can imagine.  Those were big boats, they could not be seen in the troughs.  If that is fine I'm not fit to bring you a beer.

I'm not a wuss,  I've been out in a canoe in Lake Superior with my dad in 6 foot (2 meter) waves, we did it.  But that **** that you deal with like it is nothing, yeah, that is not for me, I'm never going to be that good.

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:28am
I went over that west coast bar a few weeks back in the 12ft tinny. 3/4 of the way out we lost all power and steering. Luckily we were both wearing jandles and able to use 1 pair for steering and 1 pair for propulsion.
Lesson learned, buy some decent jandles from the Warehouse, not the $2 shop.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I went over that west coast bar a few weeks back in the 12ft tinny. 3/4 of the way out we lost all power and steering. Luckily we were both wearing jandles and able to use 1 pair for steering and 1 pair for propulsion.

I had to go look up jandle, never heard that term before.

So are you joking or did you literally scull yourself home with boats?

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:18am
he's joking. No that Grey river bar is nasty and they were commercial fisherman. That was scary stuff

-------------

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:29am
Jandals were invented in Australia cos it requires a 1. 2 IQ rating to tie up shoe laces.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:51am

Yes, just joking mate. The Greymouth bar is probably the 2nd most dangerous bar in the country. No1 would be the flying jug in south Auckland.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: DJracing
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:16am
Great vid smudge, will need to show Blake when he gets home from School .  Was certainly a primo day. Oh and just so you know , I have now replaced that Ariel Smile 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by DJracing DJracing wrote:

Great vid smudge, will need to show Blake when he gets home from School .  Was certainly a primo day. Oh and just so you know , I have now replaced that Ariel Smile 

Skoti made the video. I woukld still check the connection where the antenna lead goes into the VHF, unscrew it and give it a little spray of CRC 2-26

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:04pm

Yes, just joking mate. The Greymouth bar is probably the 2nd most dangerous bar in the country. No1 would be the flying jug in south Auckland.
The flying jug has gone,along with the Bellbird in Manurewa.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:24pm

And who's the cheeky kid that didn't want to be filmed?
That cheeky kid is Arron .
He often hangs around the pontoons with his fishing gear and just jumps on any ones boat when they are launching and demands to be taken fishing .
His father used to be the President of the local fishing club and to that means , Arron thinks it's his right to jump on any boat he wishes and creates a big scene if any one objects .
Most people humor him , but I fear some day some one is going to deal him some serious mischief . 

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

And who's the cheeky kid that didn't want to be filmed?
That cheeky kid is Arron .
He often hangs around the pontoons with his fishing gear and just jumps on any ones boat when they are launching and demands to be taken fishing .
His father used to be the President of the local fishing club and to that means , Arron thinks it's his right to jump on any boat he wishes and creates a big scene if any one objects .
Most people humor him , but I fear some day some one is going to deal him some serious mischief . 

That Arron, i hate that guy! Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

That Arron, i hate that guy! Big smile
Nothing a flying gaff wouldn't fix Wink

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:55pm
I thought he stole your Pink Dress and Toe Nail Polish...OuchLOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:44pm
And my handbag! Little rotter

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:46am
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

And my handbag! Little rotter

Probably something to do with his upbringing

-------------
Top 10 finish