Forum Description: Post your report here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134382
Printed Date: 03 Mar 2024 at 8:06pm

Topic: First day out on Mangatutu
Posted By: Fishb8
Subject: First day out on Mangatutu
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:01pm
Windy as but scored 4 decent fish.
First was a 2 lb brown then 2 x 3 lb rainbows and finally just about the biggest rainbow I've caught in this stream of about 6lb.
All caught on a #12 flashback pheasant tail and all in deeper pools at the end of the drift right under over hanging willows.
Hard yakka in water a bit higher than my old legs like. Stream looks in good nick with lots of under stone activity.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Replies:
Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:42am
Thanks, that's great to hear. Haven't been there for ages. Might have o pay a visit some time this summer.  It's always been a tough stream for me but normally holds some good fish.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:57pm
I used to catch up to 30 per day but nothing like that now. In the cicada season might get 10 and mostly decent fish but some blank days, too.
Lots of fallen trees and overhanging branches now- way more than a few years back.
Maybe it's just me getting older. 72 in a month. Really tired today after yesterday's wading.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:16pm
Out today and scored 4 nice rainbows, all on the same small cicada pattern. All from the area where there was no tree felling. That area has so much small branches and collapsed banks and small islands really messing up the river.
The fish were all in the 3 lb range.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window