Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134316
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:38pm

Topic: Takapu Rock Snaps and Orca
Posted By: MJ
Subject: Takapu Rock Snaps and Orca
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:41pm
Headed out on a solo mission yesterday from Auckland's East Coast Bays. Prospects were good with 10 knots wind predicted, dropping to 5 knots late afternoon. All went well on launching and motor on song I headed out past a couple of these guys on anchor:

And went past this rock:

Then parked up in front of Takapu Rock on the incoming tide and proceeded to strayline. Fishing was a bit slow with the bite VERY tentative. Caught a few snaps but this was the standout. This fish took a largish pillie on a strayline with at least 100m of line out. I knew it was heavier than average but because I had so much (nylon) line out it did not really respond until the line angle started to lift it off the reef and then it gave me a good fight:

And then... the real highlight of the day was a pod of Orca showed up. All females with calves. This one came closest to check me out:

Pretty cool. So a wonderful day...and not put off by the trek back to the Bays in a rising 15 knot wind against tide. Not sure where the 5 knots falling was.

Replies:
Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm
Looks like an awesome day on the water, with some good fishing and encounters. Nicely captured in your report and pics.

Posted By: sea reason
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:25pm
Nice.

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:57pm
nice report. So often the unexpected gems that make a memorable day on the water. 

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:21am
Great snap

Print Page | Close Window