Print Page | Close Window

Euro Nymphing tips

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Freshwater Fishing
Forum Name: Freshwater Fission
Forum Description: The place to discuss all matters related to freshwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134261
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:08pm

Topic: Euro Nymphing tips
Posted By: Jofly
Subject: Euro Nymphing tips
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:56pm
Not from me but from the the experts Rob Vaz and Johnny Gummer.  I'll say no more. Enjoy.

Replies:
Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:12pm
I enjoyed that, just spent a day and a half Czech nymphing the Rangitaiki.Interesting how Johnny manages the longer casts, something to practice.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:42pm
Glad you did. It was amazing watching these guys fish.  They are super accurate as well. I really need to have a real go at it myself one day but at this stage I'll stick to filming them LOL

Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:50pm
Great stuff Excellent video

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:24am
What fly line is used and how long the leader.....straight or tapered?
Is the dropper tied off the micro-ring?
Thanks guys - enjoyed that.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:00am
I’m not sure what they were using but usually a straight leader, the tippet ring is only used for the tippet to indicator line and not the dropper fly. You can though if you want to .
Taupo has a few different rules to the rest of the country .

Posted By: Fraser Hocks
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Yea an interesting way to fish for sure.  Iv been given a mates old euro nymph rod (10' 3#).  Cant say the style of fishing overly intrigues me but il definitely give it a go, this season.  Good to get some tips on how to set it up and fish it.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
Fishb8 I believe they use a 1wt double taper (essentially flat) fly line to bi-colour or tri-colour leader to tippet ring to tippet to flies.  Dropper is a knot, not a tippet ring.  Not sure which, I think it might be triple surgeons.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:22am
I'm so out of touch with some of the developments of fishing being stuck on a 4wt floating line for small streams.

-------------

Posted By: MarkE
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:44am
Been czech nymphing the tongariro and whanganui rivers exclusively the last 5 years. The system is amazingly effective , 10 fish a day is not uncommon. My setup is as follows -

Rio euro nymph flyline - 30cm hanak bicolor mono sighter - 2mm tippet ring - 1.5m 5x fluro then an additional 50cm tied to the end of this with a triple surgeons knot leaving a 10cm tag above the knot to act as the dropper...

Takes a bit a practice to get used to fishing it but its a very effective technique.

-------------
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction.... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sea-strike-18-build-thread_topic87723_page1.html" rel="nofollow - Build Thread here

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
The fish taking the flies Czech nymphing really makes this style of fishing for me.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 7:30am
A friend of mine, Peter Scott, showed me some Czech nymphing nearly 20 years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Peter taught me to Czech nymph so he’s “retired” and is now Hanak Nz.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:36am
I got Peter started fly fishing. I well remember his first trout, a very good rainbow at the Rangers pool on the TT. He played it so carefully.
Didn't take him long to overtake me, skill-wise.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:38am
During his Tisdall days he taught me to cast , very patient and good teacher.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

During his Tisdall days he taught me to cast , very patient and good teacher.
You must be a good caster as I taught Peter to cast...well for the first few weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:07pm
Still improving..
But seriously try Czech nymphing I find it a lot of fun especially the catching lots of fish.
I do enjoy conventional dry fly nymph style fishing especially the casting, I tend to alternate between the two !

Print Page | Close Window