Forum Name: Reel Questions!
Forum Description: Reel answers from a reel expert - Steve at Swordfish Marine
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134134
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:15pm

Topic: sounder
Posted By: yonsei
Subject: sounder
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:54pm
Have a lowrance HDS10. Everything works fine except sounder. The sounder will work when motor is off but as soon as I turn on motor the bottom picture and depth disappears. The sounder still scrolls and surface clutter appears.
Is there any other reason other than transducer position that may cause this problem??
The transducer is brand new. Diesel inboard.
thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Moots
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:42pm
Electrical interference from the motor? Where does the transducer wire run past/through from transducer to unit?

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:51pm
I have an HDS. Don't have that problem. From what you are saying it looses picture even when boat not moving? Just engine running?
In which case has to be elec interference to transducer cable. Best shot would be to pull cable, and temp run it loose,  inside boat away from others, plug in and see if improves.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:53pm
You need to provide more info. Have you changed something in boat/wiring? Has this just started? Has unit just been fitted, or been working OK etc?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:48pm
I'll take a random stab and say dodgy alternator.

I'd be getting a sparky to look at the voltage your sounder is getting when the engine is running. And to check it for AC voltage.

Otherwise, some cables are running way too close together, but I suspect that's not so much of an issue these days. Both of our transducer cables run through the same loom as the outboard's power and controls and we don't have issues.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 5:53pm
purchased boat with problem. Talked to a lowrance rep and another tech person who pointed me in the direction of replacing transducer. Expensive as it didn't fix the problem.
Like I said the surface clutter shows on top, water temp there but there is something else- depth reading is around 0.4 m.
Trying to cut out some possibilities which is where if I start boat it reverts to no bottom and no depth.
thanks

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:06pm
another thought I will have to go for a dive while motor running but maybe exhaust or something distorting reading of transducer on startup

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 8:31pm
So just to confirm it reads correct depth and good screen view when motor is off or is it still showing incorrect (0.4)? 
Surface clutter can be reduced in the settings. 
As above might be a good idea to add the voltage to the screen and see what it does when motor is on. I too suspect more than just "normal" interference. Does it scramble same if you run motor on land when flushing? 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 7:40am
alternator just serviced.
when motor not going sounder correct soon after startup sounder fault 0.4m and bottom disappears and depth doesn't show- scroll only showing surface clutter.
I realise I can reduce surface clutter through settings

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 8:14am
As stated above - set voltage setting on screen. I think you have to go in to Installation page and Edit function.
I somehow suspect that won't fix it - think you would get more weird stuff than just that.
I would also pull the transducer cable out of its routing and lay it free in boat, clear of everything, and hook up again. That will tell you if it is a cable proximity thing.
Your transducer should be mounted well clear of the exhaust. Your exhaust is above waterline? 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 8:22am
I know the sonar description you are posting. Mine does the same sometimes - when it has lost the signal and sometimes seems to freeze in that position. No depth and surface clutter. It isn't really surface clutter, it is just a weird surface display. Depth reading either zero (nil) or something like 0.5m.
Have you tried rebooting the unit with engine running when it does that. Like give it another chance to set itself. 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 12:15pm
will get voltage on screen
wet exhaust so I'm leaning that way.
boat sits on a mooring
reboot does not work

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 12:58pm
Where does your exhaust exit? Near the transducer? Mine does the screen display you note, when it looses signal. Due to interference from the washy water - eg near rock wash, when reversing boat etc.
The system gets confused and the processor seems to freeze.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 2:54pm
ill go for a dive. I think exhaust is close to transducer.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm
mucked around with sensitivity and away it went. weird. thanks everyone

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:57am
When in doubt, hit reset to factory settings
With anything Wink

Not surprised the techs sales ppl didnt suggest doing so.. need the sale?

As seems you are not too familiar with the lowrance, I suggest that you note how to adjust the brightness .. write it down.
One day/ well night, you will be cruising home, turn the brightness right down so doesnt reflect on the wind screen...
And you will be very surprised how far down you will have  turned it down the next time you turn it on in the day light.

It will appears as the screen hasnt even turned on....Cry

And not having a good reference from pressing the on button, boot up, time and what where to press to bring brightness back up Wink

I mention this because
1/we often came home in the dark
2/ The 1st time happened thought unit had died, eventually after lot stress accidentally hit the brightness.
3/Did not make a note of what to hit when.. And next time again lot time stress...thinking I knew
4/ Every now and again the subject turns up in the forums.Wink

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 11:58am
Yep - been there  done that. Extremely frustrating. And you can't see anything on the screen to manipulate the settings.
Seems a bit odd a sensitivity setting would give the problem posted. OK with engine off, faulty when on. Anyhow, if fixed, then fixed.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:33pm
Hi Guys,
Seems the concept of English has been lost by all of you.

This forum is for questions about reels.
Reels wind line onto a reel which is attached in most cases is attached to a rod.

Your failure to redirect this post is alarming in your awareness of a mistake in interpreting the English laungauge for the posters benefit and the forum providing good help.

It should either be in the Captain Morgan Briny bar or the Boat Shed, At least.
You offer dis service to this member for ignoring that let alone the forum.

Seems the mods are also dropping the ball..

So Yonsei, re post in other forums for your benefit.

And posters, shame on you for being so slack.

M

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:11pm
Yep - noticed that. But he was getting feedback and figured it would move if needed. Beyond me.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Print Page | Close Window