Print Page | Close Window

Housebus vs Caravan

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=134034
Printed Date: 13 Apr 2024 at 7:19pm

Topic: Housebus vs Caravan
Posted By: kitno
Subject: Housebus vs Caravan
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:07am
My partner and I wish to travel the country for 2years +. At this stage we are weighing up the pros and cons of a housebus vs Caravan. Taking into consideration that we must have a separate vehicle and a small boat (possibly smartwave 3500, with or without trailer).
Anyone here done something similar? What was your setup or what would be your setup be? I can see pros and cons for both.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Replies:
Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:12am
Bazza might be the man for info?? 

Caravan + tow wagon with boat strapped up back of caravan .Able to leave caravan set up while taking vehicle in to town shopping etc.

Motorhome,taking along the whole package to town and where to park or tow a small car behind motorhome with boat on roof racks

something the wife has mentioned before.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:17am
If I was to go with the housebus idea, I'm thinking A frame a flat deck 4x4 with the boat and/or trailer on top. Not sure how feasible it is. Either way, I need a separate vehicle as I'm not retiring and would use it for work when required.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:23pm

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
A question that can be likened to asking if it is better to buy an ali or a glass boat, as there are pros & cons with both so at the end of the day it simply comes down to individual preferences.

A good starting point imo would be to write down the things that are important to you for what you want to do on individual pieces of paper
then stack them in order of importance rating, then transfer them onto
master list. From there you can decide on what would best suit your requirements by awarding each a one to ten score then adding up the total of each option for comparison.

The question of a boat should imo remain out of the question at this stage but personally I would not favour having a separate vehicle to tow a trailer boat unless planning on extended stop overs at suitable locations. Other options probably limited to small ali, inflatable or kayaks.

My first motorhome had a 10 ft parkercraft carried vertically on the rear in a rather ingenious frame that allowed for a storage box as well as an outboard. With the current motor home I incorporated a purpose built compartment to house an inflatable & outboard.

Whatever you decide on there are several factors with a m/home
that imo deserve consideration namely :-

Rear wheel drive if likely to be leaving the tar seal plus duals.
Three way fridge/freezer ie 12 or 24 v, 240 or gas. 
Be able to be driven on car licence.

Finally keep in mind if intending to do any modifications or additions, steel framed/ali construction lends itself to this far more than the more common these days, fibreglass.

I think I still have a few copies of my checklist I used that I could send you if it helped.

Good luck 

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: lingee
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
work out the cost for a motor home,motels and a car ,meals at a pub ,a boat towed , fishing etc ,no big cost up front,on the pi-- with the locals and the odd good spot off the beach.two years at 300 hundy a week =i think is 15600. plus motel cost at 5580 plus odds . all up 25000 per year =50,000 for 2 years. cost of motor home x re sale x good luck mate with your choice.

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:21pm
Its funny. I have this discussion with other campers over a few beers up north every summer. I  would always have to have a small boat... ( whats the point of even going if ya dont!)  So 2 vehicles would be required.
Iv always lent towards a caravan ... Reasons. Iv already own a decent tow wagon,  and you get alot of accommodation for your money.   Something Like a modern Jayco are bloody nice inside that would keep any couple happy as. 80k would get you a beauty.... but 80k would not buy as nice a camper.
Im guessing Kitno that if you are going for 2 years... ( lucky prick) you aint just gonna wanna be free camping on the side of the road and sh-tting in the bushes. There for the time it takes to park up a caravan get the awning on, levelling etc is not too much of a hassel.... As you gonna be staying put for a few days.
You,ll have a 4 wd for beach launching, Just means the mrs will have to tow the boat when you are travelling.... That may or may not work for some couples. 
Anyways, when we retire (Still decades away though) and the world is still in one piece... the above is pretty much what we are gonna do. Very envious.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:39pm
Bazza has several options to look at... LOLLOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
just done it Kitno and had a blast. 

In Aussie def caravan towed by 4x4. Buses and RVs are basically tarseal restricted and that would you not being able to travel 80% of Australia. Also you can set up proper with awning boat off roof fire pit somewhere awesome yet still whip into town to grab anything or go to the pub etc. 

Nz Being so small and there is basically a town anywhere you want to go and less and less off-road options bus could be good. 
Also bikes are great. 

Security wise bus or RV as you can just drive off.

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:25pm
Reel Deal, that looks awesome. Living the dream. I'm guessing you finally got it sorted and happy with the options. These decisions/options are always very personal. For instance not everyone would want to do the same trip. Have a different emphasis. Always a compromise one way or other. Matter of getting the balance right - for you.
kitno - canvass all the options both ways and see what fits best.
Schampy makes some good points re caravans, but all my experience is motorhome. Decade or more, towed boat when appropriate. Free camped in lots of remote areas (flyfishing/no boat). Like the self contained aspect. But then you have to up camp to move even a short distance.
Reel Deal looks like a good combo and I remember his pondering previously. Basically you need to sort what works best for you - will be different to others. Some great ideas will click in to place.
Good luck.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:31pm
Good replies guys. Catchelot, I'll have the bottom one thanks.

Here's a small list of must haves.
Separate bedroom, not interested in turning seating area into a bed each night.
Water storage, atleast 5-700 ltrs, enough for maybe 2 weeks.
Off grid capable.
Separate bathroom, with shower, toilet, vanity.
Full kitchen
Generous amount of storage.
Heating for the colder months, we will be going to the south island.

Still throwing the idea out there of getting a small boat and trailer on the back of a flat deck single cab. Can't yet see that being an issue with either a bus or Caravan. Aframes still legal? Trailer would probably make launching and retrieving easier.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:46pm
Just a small aside thought to fishing.

And that is, have you thought of a torpedo long line off the shore rather than towing a boat or car/wagon towing a boat.

And then again have you thought about going to wherever and then sussing charters for the area??

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:50pm
yes always compromises. We got a great solution for our needs in the end. Our caravan has a double bed with a sliding door, seperate shower, seperate bathroom. Really was like a upmarket apartment with 3 tv points - bedroom - lounge -and outside under awning great for sports etc.
We had two 95litre freshwater tanks and one 95litre great waste tank, these are handy when not just draining on ground if in friends back yard or sensitive environment like beach etc.
300watt solar and we never needed a generator as never run out of power. Truck also charged van when traveling.

If you can go lithium it’s all the rage here in Aussie as grunty and light. Weight is a big consideration when traveling in a caravan probably less so in a bus. My caravan was 3.5 ton and truck 3 ton.

Gas bottles did fridge when no sun about and heated water and supplied 3 of the 4 oven elements - each bottle lasted about 3 months and I always carried one spare. 

We would go off grid for up to 10 days at a time and then needed to empty bog cassette and get more food beer wine etc 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
Nice one Reel Deal, how much fresh water can that carry?
Schampy, ideally will be a minimum of week stop before moving on.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
just sold van $80k and roof topper $3500, just truck to go before heading back to nz for next chapter. Been amazing journey around Australia. Many people talk about doing it just a few actually do it, so go for it and learn along the way ...we are all dead a long time .

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:56pm
190 litres of fresh. Always filled up via a hose with silver water filter as you never know what sort of water you get. If we went longer than 10 days we would do those quick showers each day. Wet then off scrub then wash off. Had a outside shower for the dog as required. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Just a small aside thought to fishing.

And that is, have you thought of a torpedo long line off the shore rather than towing a boat or car/wagon towing a boat.

And then again have you thought about going to wherever and then sussing charters for the area??

Good thought but we're wanting to tag the majority we catch, so rods are preferred. Also want to use the boat for exploring.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:08pm
Kitno - 5-700l fresh water is a TRUCK load. You learn to do with less. And it means you need equiv+ in grey water storage. Not feasible generally. I could go a week on 100l 2 of us could go on 150l. That is being economical - but that is what you do.
Def 3 way fridge (with at least ice box - cold beer essential) - gas/12V/240. The solar will run the 12V also.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
yip good tips there Alan L. Fresh water in nz is everywhere like petrol stations etc. Aussie not so much. I did take a couple of 20litre spare drums but never used. There is a tank gauge so you know when getting low.  We would drain the grey waste on the highway when traveling on drip. It was so hot ait would be dry as it hit the ground.  Most places outside of the national parks let you drain straight into the ground. Always used bio products.

Too much water the tank would need a lot of baffling. Slamming
 on the brakes with a large tank would make things interesting. 

A good water pump and shower head will spread usage out also.

The bigger the fridge the better. Mine was just under 209 litres so could keep a six pack and 2 bottles of wine on the go. But after a large snapper session I vacuum packed and put 20 meals in the freezer and had to give the rest away. But you get that traveling. You makes heaps of friends by default.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Kitno - 5-700l fresh water is a TRUCK load. You learn to do with less. And it means you need equiv+ in grey water storage. Not feasible generally. I could go a week on 100l 2 of us could go on 150l. That is being economical - but that is what you do.
Def 3 way fridge (with at least ice box - cold beer essential) - gas/12V/240. The solar will run the 12V also.
Alan
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see that amount of water aswell. Combined with fuel and holding tanks... Thats over a ton. Yikes.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
Alot of the 10m+ buses have 600ltr fresh, 400 grey, and 200 black.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:41pm
cripes  that’s a lot. If I had it I wouldn’t fill it till within a few km of camp. Bus I guess can carry like a truck? If so you could go many thousands of litres imagine going up those coromandel hills with all that on board. 

Caravans easy you get the max and you try to keep under it. Most camp sites give you water and power so no tank needed there. Also want to keep water fresh. 

Another is cost to travel. We did 30,000km in 10 months. Average weekly spend all up was between $1500 and $200O Aud.

Before going on a long journey I’d drain water tanks if I new I could get it closer to destination it made a huge difference 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:43pm
if getting a bus I’d go small wood/coal burner in a caravan heating is done with a diesel heater install.

It’s good you are asking the questions and weighing up what suits you and what you plan to do.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
We probably wouldn't be traveling anywhere near that amount of kms. We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: BananaBoat
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:21pm
We lived on the road for 7.5yrs 2009 - mid 2016, doing some seasonal work to make ends meet & having around 4 months off per year, our dog enjoyed it too.... will definately do it again before retirement, too good not to do.... just ask Reel Deal
Towed a car to get around & I had a 3.1m roll up inflatable with 8hp, ali floor to stand up on wsith inflatable keel, was kitted out for basic fishing. Boat & outboard was stowed in the boot of the motorhome

Find something that suits your budget & what works for you
You can be a combination unit of up to 20m in length, class 2 licence.
Have met others who have a 9m bus towing a ute that is towing a boat as long under 20m
Better setups I have seen are motorhome or bus towing a boat 12-14ft, the trailer is custom made so the quad bike is driven on above the boat... looks hard case

Viewing your "small list of must haves"

Same as our setup, altho 375 fresh & 310 grey water, 3 toilet cassettes
This does us for 4 nights 5 days for dunny use & water, also have a 2.2kg washing machine
Diesel heating is what you want, runs off main tank, can run it 24hrs when snowing outside
Your first priority is solar, house battery storage & 3 ways of charging batteries - alternator, solar, plugin to mains into multi stage charger.

We have 530w solar into 3 x 20a mppt controllers feeding 2 x 325ah 12v batteries... a little more solar would be nicer
Tow bar rated 2500kg, unbraked towing is 2000kg on 9T RUC = class 2 licence
We towed a 4 door Laser for 55k around the country.
When you live on the road, you want a car to tour around in.

Consider ground clearence & overhang
Check out Reel deals caravans ground clearence, then scroll up to the photo Clifftastic posted of the bus & compare the 2..... there are **** loads of kool places around the country that bus wont get into
Join nzmca club https://www.nzmca.org.nz/ this allows you to park up free or gold coin in RSA, golf clubs, many private & other places not on offer to the travelling public. Plus huge discounts on the ferry to sth isl
Our club owns over 30 properties thru out the country costs $3 per head per night

For your new rig, be familiar with the tare weight, gvm & gcm / gcw. Sometimes its the loading that can catch owners out, some of the newer lighter motorhomes have lower loading capacities & 750kg unbraked towing

Once you are setup, travelling can be done on the cheap without skimping, be it doing freedom camping or using our clubs properties around the country
Last big trip away, we did 32 days around south island over xmas break, cost us 73 bucks total for our accomdation - no camp grounds

Happy to answer any questions bro

Our setup

Posted By: Jon1
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:06pm
I was at Ningaloo reef with the family when I saw the best setup for a couple that I saw the whole trip. We did around 30000km with a Landcruiser and box trailer setup around West & South Australia for 7 months. These guys had a Landcruiser ute with a slide-on camper on the back. When they got somewhere the slide-on got parked and awnings extended, etc. This made a really stable bedroom / shelter / loo They towed a really durable trailer with metal hood on gas struts with tools, supplies, etc. and a swing out cooking unit. There was a frame over the trailer which a 14ft tinnie slid onto upside down. They'd started in Tasmania and were about a year in when we met them. Awesome rig.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:30am
Guys, how do you get a self contained cert when your grey tank is less than the fresh tank? Mine had a bigger grey than fresh.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: whippersnappyr
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:52am
I was really taken with this cute setup that was in the BMW museum when I picked up my car years ago. Totally impractical but you’ve got to admire the fact they actually made it

Posted By: letsgetem
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:34am
I havent had a caravan nor motorhome, but can make some points.

I have seen )what someone else described) - a motorhome, towing a boat trailer - on the boat trailer a 4.1m Frewza aluminium boat (open top). On a frame over the top of the boat, a 4wheel motorcycle (4WD). The motorcycle drove off the trailer via ramps (planks). The boat trailer towed to launch with the motorcycle.  

Ive had a 3m inflatable boat on the back of my 4WD ute. That   worked ok. The tray was 2.4m long, so the boat stuck out the back by 60cm, ok. Good beach wheels enabled pushing the boat into the sea. The outboard carried from the ute to put on the boat - also tote tank carried, also fishing gear carried. And then when return to shore, all the carrying done in reverse; harder as its up the beach instead of down. All this carrying reduced the fun considerably, compared to towing everything to and from the sea)
I am glad the inflatable was carried fully inflated - because the work in unrolling and inflating was a pain; and I wouldnt want to do that as well as all the carrying to and fro. Another point - to deflate and roll up, a boat has to have a inflated hull bottom - which has two disadvantages - cant always pull it up on a beach without risking puncturing the bottom - and when moving the soft bottom bends, which reduces forward momentum. 

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
primo set up banana boat. 

If I was only traveling on a month or two trips the rig I’d explore as more is a removable campervan that can sit on a double cab Ute. The ones I saw have hydronic legs that lifts itself Off the Ute deck and free stand with steps and awning. Leaves you to leave on and use like campervan or tow a 14-15 bought and you can leave campervan set up and drop boat to the boat ramp. Shopping, sight seeing etc

Covers a lot of options but fairly small inside. Bed up top . Lounge kitchen together but did have toilet with shower over top. 

-------------

Posted By: Hook-it
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Have to question your figures on that for a self containment cert. You would need larger holding capacity for grey and black.. Solids lift volume.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:11pm
Really interesting thread, something missus and I have toyed with off and on for a while..

This sorta got me
We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.
 Missus and I have done a few, pack the truck/ tent, then f;ick a coin left or right literally starting top of the drive) road trips.

If we checked out next spot we would never get far or see as much or stay some places longer.... no have we ever actually done so.

Maybe a consideration that can be discarded.??

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Have to question your figures on that for a self containment cert. You would need larger holding capacity for grey and black.. Solids lift volume.

These figures come from house buses that are for sale on trade me and Facebook. Most seem to carry atleast 400 ltrs of fresh water.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Really interesting thread, something missus and I have toyed with off and on for a while..

This sorta got me
We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.
 Missus and I have done a few, pack the truck/ tent, then f;ick a coin left or right literally starting top of the drive) road trips.

If we checked out next spot we would never get far or see as much or stay some places longer.... no have we ever actually done so.

Maybe a consideration that can be discarded.??

Steps, the reason I say that is we wouldn't want to take a 11m bus down an unfamiliar route to find we can't turn it around at the end or corners are too tight to get past. Time is on our side. We have no end date for the trip. If we estimate 2yrs, and it takes 5, so be it.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:41pm
And it's far cheaper to run a normal vehicle compared to a large bus.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

These figures come from house buses that are for sale on trade me and Facebook. Most seem to carry atleast 400 ltrs of fresh water.

It is about 5 yrs since I had to do a Self Contained cert, and I had to make mine newly compliant. I had to have more greywater capacity than fresh.
But in the back of my mind I think there is another criteria to SC. That it depends on number of occupants (Cert states that number) for a number of days. Cert states that number to. So if you have excess of fresh and grey allocation over that number, it may not matter. Just pay to check first. There are fraudulent certs out there - back of Hiace vans etc. But if belongs to Motorhome Assn, you can be fairly sure is correct. But it is not the blue sticker on the vehicle that counts - Kitno - it is the Cert itself - stating the bits above. Check that.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:28pm
Yep Great thread. Enjoying all the comments and what guys have been up to.
My only experience with this sort of thing was helping build a 4x4 ex-army Bedford personal carrier into an African safari vehicle and driving from London down to Kenya. (The Crew carried on to Capetown after I departed) Crazy trip. We were young and alot of us very lucky to still be alive.... Alot of people dont realize just how lucky they are to be living in NZ.... West Africa is the most impoverished place on earth.  Will love one day to take some serious time out and see more of the country. 

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
My extended camper holiday/trip involved driving a VW camper from Uk - to NZ. Via just about everywhere over a couple of years. Some very hairy moments. And memories.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:01pm
With bigger fresh water tanks going into smaller grey tanks plus a black tank
Tank sensors are needed for this mis-match

kitno

With the big water capacity you are looking for, those buses are pretty heavy, usually in the 12-15T RUC, pushing big horses ranging 270hp plus in the older models = deep pockets... if towing, max vehicle length 10.5m
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/" rel="nofollow - https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/

I did a fuel report on our motorhome forum some years ago for reference here
copy/pasted below

7.4m cab-over Fuso 6spd man 190hp 4.9L, on weigh bridge cert scales 6880kg fully laden, 9T RUC
Towing Ford laser car, spec sheet says empty weight around 1100kg, plus used for storage

Recored trip of 3806km diesel 847.92L
http://www.calculatenow.biz/conversions/consumption.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.calculatenow.biz/conversions/consumption.php
4.4886km per L
12.6795 miles per gal
22.2785L per 100ks

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:01pm
Hmmm plenty of food for thought. The large water supply thing is something my partner is really wanting. Loves having hot showers.
I'm more leaning towards a caravan. It just seems to make more sense if wanting to get into remote places.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:15pm
Some pros I've worked out for a caravan

No RUCs
Cheaper rego
No HT license required
Hopefully no expensive mechanical repairs
More access to remote places
Modern ones are insulated
Easier to sell

There's a few more I can't think of right now.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
Good summary so far.
But buy the right van, no HT. Mine also ran on a WoF. Daihatsu Munro conversion. Light weight.
Yes - mechanical repairs - prob correct.
Mine was insulated.
Remote spots - you should have done a few trips with me.... or Bazza.
But your thought processes are along the right lines. I can't answer the Q for you  because the answer will be unique to your application .
But you are on the right track.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
This subject has nothing to do with fishing.
Should it be banned.
Is there not a zone for accomodation .

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:58pm
Well it is a tough job for Smudge. Doubt most of us would volunteer? But is Reel Deal's input nothing to do with fishing? Or mine or Bazzas? I only used my camper for fishing trips. Mostly remote.
But where do you draw the line?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:16pm
I think Bazza won Lotto, but the wife won't let her ole car go...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm
With your good lady & her long hot showers, when doing the motorhome or caravan, this is truely one luxury we all want regularly
We budget for 60L water per day. Thats a shower each plus dishes & rinsing off anything plus water usage for the dunny. Many others we have met go way lower than these figures. Some mates we traveled with can do it on 30L
Get familiar with the "navy shower" which is - wet yourself off, turn shower off, soap up all over, rinse off, done
Lots of motorhomes around the 6.5m range on a 6T ruc (car licence) have 180L fresh & grey tanks on truck bases. Most have towbars.... suzuki jimny are very popular to tow.
Stretching the water by showers every other day, just washing your bits on the off days
This is a subject that comes up alot with newbies... haha

Microwaves, hair driers, toasters or any electrical thingy that has an element, including coffee machines... we do not use on the road, too much heavy draw down on the house batteries...up to 125ah or more discharge, a nice way to kill batteries if not a big bank of batteries to begin with. Also need a roof of solar panels to replace what has been used
Lots of owners do use the above, this shortens the life of lead acid or AGM batteries fast, real fast actually
Lithium batteries is a more suited choice

Alan L
Nice wagon you got there
Our first motorhome was a Munro on a Ford Trader base 6.5m long... photo on my avatar
Had a double bed above the cab, u-shape lounge down the back, separate dunny & shower, kool classic wagon
Did heaps of updates for full time living / travelling....slow as buggary on any hill haha

Most of our mates have UK caravans... 2010 onwards tandem axle
Euro / UK built caravans provides the best bang for your buck. Heating, double glazing, well insulated, big fidge freezers plus more is standard & lighter to tow
They do have lower loading abilities ranging from just 200kg upwards to 700-ish. Most are at the lower end. This means - water, food piss clothes fishing gear, boat, ebikes & anything going into your storage is included in that loading capacity
Aust & NZ caravans are heavier, up to 3.5T fully laden. Some have generous water capacities & have heavier loading, built more robust as standard.
Needs a decent tow wagon. Do your home work here. Many brands claim 3.5T towing. This towing topic comes up in the boat forum on here.
Best to suss out the caravanners forum in aust - https://www.caravanersforum.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.caravanersforum.com/

Having said all that, the ideal motorhome or caravan does not exist first time round, me thinks
When you get your second or third van, you will have your ideal rig

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

This subject has nothing to do with fishing.
Should it be banned.
Is there not a zone for accomodation .

The whole point of the trip is to fish our way around the country.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

With your good lady & her long hot showers, when doing the motorhome or caravan, this is truely one luxury we all want regularly
We budget for 60L water per day. Thats a shower each plus dishes & rinsing off anything plus water usage for the dunny. Many others we have met go way lower than these figures. Some mates we traveled with can do it on 30L
Get familiar with the "navy shower" which is - wet yourself off, turn shower off, soap up all over, rinse off, done
Lots of motorhomes around the 6.5m range on a 6T ruc (car licence) have 180L fresh & grey tanks on truck bases. Most have towbars.... suzuki jimny are very popular to tow.
Stretching the water by showers every other day, just washing your bits on the off days
This is a subject that comes up alot with newbies... haha

Microwaves, hair driers, toasters or any electrical thingy that has an element, including coffee machines... we do not use on the road, too much heavy draw down on the house batteries...up to 125ah or more discharge, a nice way to kill batteries if not a big bank of batteries to begin with. Also need a roof of solar panels to replace what has been used
Lots of owners do use the above, this shortens the life of lead acid or AGM batteries fast, real fast actually
Lithium batteries is a more suited choice

Alan L
Nice wagon you got there
Our first motorhome was a Munro on a Ford Trader base 6.5m long... photo on my avatar
Had a double bed above the cab, u-shape lounge down the back, separate dunny & shower, kool classic wagon
Did heaps of updates for full time living / travelling....slow as buggary on any hill haha

Most of our mates have UK caravans... 2010 onwards tandem axle
Euro / UK built caravans provides the best bang for your buck. Heating, double glazing, well insulated, big fidge freezers plus more is standard & lighter to tow
They do have lower loading abilities ranging from just 200kg upwards to 700-ish. Most are at the lower end. This means - water, food piss clothes fishing gear, boat, ebikes & anything going into your storage is included in that loading capacity
Aust & NZ caravans are heavier, up to 3.5T fully laden. Some have generous water capacities & have heavier loading, built more robust as standard.
Needs a decent tow wagon. Do your home work here. Many brands claim 3.5T towing. This towing topic comes up in the boat forum on here.
Best to suss out the caravanners forum in aust - https://www.caravanersforum.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.caravanersforum.com/

Having said all that, the ideal motorhome or caravan does not exist first time round, me thinks
When you get your second or third van, you will have your ideal rig

the good oil right here

-------------
No disintegrations!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm
Here is what we had - complete with grand kid.
Permanent double bed up top. Would recommend a permanent bed somewhere in the rig - usually over top or at back. Hot shower, flush toilet, could tow 5.3m boat. Water capacity was 180 fresh. So hot showers OK - but not like at home standing under shower contemplating the day. It was a calculated process.
But this camper for me was luxury in the wilderness. Gas oven/cooker ( would recommend gas oven if can find), 3 way fridge, solar power, etc. Could go a week without seeing/talking to anyone. perfect.
Light weight, WoF, remote spots is about all I used it for.
But if wife/partner wants to stand under long hot shower each day, you need another plan. This is camping. Glamping is another level.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:13pm
Hi Alan, up until recently, we've really only looked into the housebus idea. Mainly ex touring buses that all seem to carry large amounts of water. Because we are new to this, we thought that type of volume was the norm for extended off grid living. Recent light bulb moments have helped us realize what is priority and what is not.
Flat deck 4x4 with 3.5m boat and trailer on it, and 6.5m + caravan towed behind is looking like the answer to us.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:41am
With a well thought out plan, it will work. So you are asking the right Qs to get the answers you need. 
Good luck on your mission. Reel Deal got his up and running and the trip sounds awesome.
I did a lot of remote exploring/fishing with our bus. Loved every minute. 
We have a great country for doing that sort of trip. Don't have the bus now - sold to a friend. Miss it.
But one trip a mate and I are planning is to tow our boats south and explore Fiordland country. Whether we make it or it stays a plan on paper, dunno. But one step closer - mate semi retired a month or so ago.
Good luck.
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:42am
When you get sorted - join NZMCA. Caravans qualify as well. A wealth of information, and essential directories of places to go etc.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 10:11am

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 12:26pm
No matter what you decide on make sure it has a suitable reversing camera fitted & on that gives option of straight down & longer range vision as the former is essential if wanting to detect things like low fences or posts also most importantly youngsters in a pram or on a trike etc.
Whilst on the subject of reverse vision cameras can never understand the logic of wiring reverse vision cameras so as they operate only when vehicle is put into reverse instead of whenever the ignition is on which gives additional viewing to following traffic to that which mirrors provide.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:17pm
good call bazza . I had a double camera on caravan with a screen on the dash of the Landcruiser one camera pointing down for backing safely and the other pointing back and worked like a revision mirror when driving also had night vision. Highly recommend 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:23pm
pretty exciting setting up Kitno. Don’t worry you will make mistakes but it’s all part of the journey. Asking around saves on a few mistakes so good on ya. 

That first morning waking up off grid all done and travels begin is pretty special you both will have a ball. 90% of people just talk about it you will meet a lot of like minded 10% of doers so you will be in good company. Be prepared for your social life to rapidly grow. I’ve made friends for life from around the world during our travels so if international travel is ever allowed again we will be doing some visiting. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Be prepared for your social life to rapidly grow
any large enough place that you overnight in, just remember - 4pm is usually happy hour

From there, you will get up to date intel for your next destination from your traveling neighbors

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:04pm
Sounds like swingers paradise. keys. Fruit bowl. You guys know the drill.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
a lot of the grey nomads can’t find their keys haha.

Bang on re Happy hour, some went late into the night...hard to avoid. Often they come a knocking to get a group together. Well worth it as tips on gas prices, next camp, how to fix etc etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Is there a limit to the amount of keys I can draw?

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
You are asking the wrong people. Your other half will have the answer to that.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:00pm
You are too young to own a motorhome. don't ever put one of those snazzy sayings on it if you do get one

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Is there a limit to the amount of keys I can draw?

No  limit ... but make sure before you buy any vehicle that it is not keyless entry otherwise you could find yourself somewhat left out !

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 5:30pm
Now Bazza ..... That is FUNNY.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

You are too young to own a motorhome. don't ever put one of those snazzy sayings on it if you do get one

Traveling on
Roam n around
Free spirit
No particular place to go
Free bird
Gone drive about
Linger longer

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:54pm
OR.....
" you and have your Kate and Edith too"
 " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"
" Any which way but loose"

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:28pm
Update: After a couple of years of hard work and saving we've made a purchase, an 8.2m Mitsubishi Fuso. We decided to go the way of a housebus as the caravan/flat deck truck (for the Mac360 and trailer) was just starting to add up to be a bit on the pricey side. My partner will drive the 4x4 with boat in tow and I'll drive the bus. The plan is to be on the road by April 2024. Looking forward to the adventures.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:23pm
Very cool! Does it have a filleting bench?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:46pm
Kool man, congrats... nice tidy rig you have there

Its a bloody good lifestyle

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:54pm
top marks for realising your dream kitno.
but like smudge says, what about the filleting bench?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:58pm

Very cool! Does it have a filleting bench?

Plenty of room to carry a couple of extra outdoor tables. Big awning on the side for shade aswell.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:31pm
Very cool kitno. I'm jealous!

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:52pm
Nice work mate. Looking forward to the updates.
Planning on doing the same in a couple of years. Was thinking of doing a bit of part time relief motel management as we traveled.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:01am
Very nice indeed Kitno. Living the bloody dream, get that beast up  north ASAP. 
Might need to change the colour of the fabric on those couches though mate.
Coming in from a big ol dirty fishing session and  parking up with a cold beer is gonna send ya mrs into freak-out mode should you mark them.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:35am
Definitely thinking we'll ditch the apricot carpet. Mrs has measured up for new curtains. Also going to upgrade the fridge to a larger one. The list will grow.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Got-ya
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:38am
Stack the roof with solar panels and get a Samsung invertor fridge. I have an off grid hut with 800 watts on roof. Run it off a 300 watt pure sine invertor. Fridge cost me $150 off TM. When compared to the price of a large 3 way or 12v it's a no brainer. 

Not my idea, check out NZ motor home forum under the technical section. Lots of people using the same set up in large motor homes or caravans.

https://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15373" rel="nofollow - Installing a household Samsung fridge - nzmotorhome.co.nz

-------------
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.

Posted By: Schecter
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:50am
Nice one Kitno.  This is what I was hoping to get after the first lockdown.  We didn't quite get there and ended up buying a cabin at clarks beach campground.  Definitely something for me to aim for in the future.  

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Got-ya Got-ya wrote:

Stack the roof with solar panels and get a Samsung invertor fridge. I have an off grid hut with 800 watts on roof. Run it off a 300 watt pure sine invertor. Fridge cost me $150 off TM. When compared to the price of a large 3 way or 12v it's a no brainer. 

Not my idea, check out NZ motor home forum under the technical section. Lots of people using the same set up in large motor homes or caravans.

https://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23491" rel="nofollow - Samsung Inverter Fridge - nzmotorhome.co.nz

Thanks Got ya, I have a look into it tonight after work. We've got 400 watts of solar on the roof now, not sure what size the inverter is.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Filleting bench aside , whens the house warming ? Beer

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Filleting bench aside , whens the house warming ? Beer

That's been done n dusted

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:33am
Been doing a little bit of panel work lately. Removing some bubbles in the paint. Bit of a learning curve but I think I'm doing it right.

Class 2 drivers license coming up soon aswell.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: cosmo
Date Posted: 27 May 2023 at 9:11pm
well done

-------------
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 4:56pm
Made a little bit more progress lately. Have added some shelves, now got some plants growing, divided the bedroom off via a blackout curtain and a piece of driftwood we found as a rail, fitted a decent lock to the access door. Recently got my class 2 license and now able to drive it. We went out for a couple of hrs today negotiating the Tauranga traffic. Probably looking at tinting the windows next.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 7:19pm
looking good Craig..when is the big first expidition?

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 7:28pm
Awesome. Plenty of space to park that at the Hillbilly Mansion

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 10:17pm
As with fishing Bill, waiting for the weather to play ball. If we're in the are Smudge, we'll definitely stop off.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 11:27am

Just had the peddler valve replaced as the brakes were nothing or full on. Terrible trying to slow down smoothly but much better now. Was quoted $1100 to have a couple of custom sized security screens made. One for the kitchen and one for the bedroom. Purchased the materials myself and it cost about $450 plus my Labour. Will add the fly mesh after painting the aluminum black.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 6:28pm
Out with the little 3way fridge and in with a new 12/24v compressor fridge.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:54pm
A bit more progress on the panel work has been made, windows have been tinted, gas appliances have been serviced and certified. Still a way to go but getting there slowly.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 2:58pm
Nice Craig. Just two words though: Grey Power! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 3:54pm

woooohooo! below the belt a tad smudge~~but I likes it LOL

HammerHead's looking good Craig~~nice job :-)

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:07pm

Atleast I've got hair lol

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:09pm

Atleast I've got hair lol

Ohh wow... so rude Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Phantom Menace
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:56am
That looks great!

You will have a few adventures.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 1:54pm
Been thinking lately about how I could refill the bus water tank without having to take the bus to the water supply. I had to do a bit of problem solving but I think I've got it sorted now.

There's a Tyre valve on the container cap and 18v compressor set at 6psi. Already had the compressor so cost was quite minimal.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:25pm
Panel work almost completed on one side now.

Packing things in for a 10 day trip starting this weekend.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 6:34am
Nice, it's looking good

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 11:57am
First class job Kitno.
Kudos to you.
You will have a lot of fun travelling in that.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 1:36pm
Looking good Craig & Kazz! Far to nice to have fishing clothes on insideBig smile

Posted By: Phantom Menace
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Looking good Craig & Kazz! Far to nice to have fishing clothes on insideBig smile

Never too nice for fishing stuff!

That looks awesome Kitno

Print Page | Close Window