Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133988
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:40pm

Topic: 308 Marlin in one day, for real.
Posted By: MATTOO
Subject: 308 Marlin in one day, for real.
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
I just came across this article, it's a good read.
Yes there are things that are probably not right if you know what your reading.
But still, excluding those areas it's quite a feat.
https://www.marlinmag.com/story/travel/striped-marlin-release-record/" rel="nofollow - https://www.marlinmag.com/story/travel/striped-marlin-release-record/

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Replies:
Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:37am
A well written article by one of the best in the buisness about what is one of the most insane fisheries in the world.

Interested in your opinions on whats not right in the article Mattoo?

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 4:59pm
Hi Jb,
Agree it was a good article.

It's the content I'm not as comfortable with.
I'm just offering my opinion now that from a time that was different to my attitude decades ago.
I was a fisherman who also as I view my past now guilty of excess enjoyment of hunting for just sheer pleasure.
And I still think the pleasure part is quite ok, it's part of the point.
But is it the excess that makes me feel uncomfortable when it's not entirely necessary.

So in my view now I'm not sure why catching, wether releasing or not and in Cabo release is compulsory, a number of fish in this volume as in this instance is justified or of any real value.

I'm not sure that the release of these fish which is mainly by breaking the leader or tearing the hook out is a safe or maybe I should say an appropriate practice on so many fish.

I'm sure in this fishery the majority of hooks are circles that will rust. And the leaders that break and trail are not so much of a disadvantage to the fishes survival.
I can believe in some circumstances the percentage of disadvantage to the fish is ok.
But in the number suggested in this article and this is not an uncommon formula in Cabo, there can only be a higher percentage of disadvantage or detriment to the fishes survival.

As this fishery also is a fishery where the striped marlin are mainly juveniles measuring from 1/2 a metre to specimens towards 70kgs it seems that the risk of mortality could be argued to be higher.
This area has probably as many sharks as marlin, probably more so, further increasing the possible mortality rate.

If your fish are mainly juveniles is it really worth recording the effort of catching what maybe considered as just a large group of baitfish and not a true mature striped marlin. Is it really a quantifiable, realistic angling venture.

I don't believe it is.
It's purely a venture for shallow bragging rights.
It's as relevant as catching 300 undersized snapper and wanting a medal.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: ET487
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:38pm
Yes 308 pre rig baits on 25 lb line is just chuck in a bait hook up with lock drag, snap off grab next rod and do the same. Then go bragging. Easy ass job.

Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:26am
Mattoo, I am actually inclined to agree with you to a point, repeatedly going out and putting up numbers like this would arguably be unnecessary and potentially inconsiderate, However, the fact is a day like that is a once in a lifetime opportunity where preparation, skill and good timing all have to come together. Further to this, many of the guests on that vessel are going to do that once in their life. 

I for one know that ideals are easy to have before you get up there, but once immersed in the fishery you just end up enjoying it to its full extent.

In terms of the fish suffering, I don't believe this is an issue at all. Most releases are comfortably sub 5 minute on light line with very little water resistance, the fish are able to swim comfortably at a speed more than sufficient to oxygenate. Arguably they are far better off than the 90Kg stripes that are fought from a dead boat on 37kg line and then tagged for their efforts back home in NZ.

The snapped off leaders are also of minimal concern as the setup promotes the leader breaking no further than 5 ft from the hook. Usually 25 pound mainline to a 80 pound wind on which attaches to a 5ft bite leader via a snap swivel. Further to this, the Circle hooks (8/0 light gauge) are snelled onto the leader and the weakest point of the whole rig is at the eye of the hook, the leader breaks here over 80% of the time. This means the fish doesn't have its head out for the water banging on the side of the boat whilst someone tries to get the hook out.

The shark theory is decidedly incorrect, as is the size estimate. There are a small amount of sharks in the area (appear to be sub 20kg makos or porbeagles) that have more than enough food without chasing around striped marlin. The striped marlin are between 40 - 80kg with an average around 50-60kg. This is not an immature fish in the scheme of Striped Marlin, it just appears that way seeing as we have Stripes of exaggerated size in NZ.

In terms of the fishing not being much of an achievement or irrelevant as you say, I think that shows a lack of knowledge on how a day like this is achieved. The work of the anglers to hook of 80% of their bites and catch that number of fish on well matched tackle is an achievement. The mates keeping up with that much tackle and baits is an achievement. The Captain running his boat to ensure hooking 5 or 6 fish in the turn is an achievement. 

Posted By: macka2012
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:01am
Mattoo, one could relate this to being the special olympics of fishing?

Posted By: coroben
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:45am
some serious jealously in this thread!

Print Page | Close Window