Print Page | Close Window

5 Million fingered again. and again and again..

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Captain Morgan Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133873
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:05pm

Topic: 5 Million fingered again. and again and again..
Posted By: MATTOO
Subject: 5 Million fingered again. and again and again..
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
So yet again our efforts are undermined by mindless individuals, on both sides.

Look at Australia and there new knightmare.

Every part of this chain of control is not under control.
I for one find this ridiculous, we've been lucky so far but with these failures I can't believe our luck will last, can you.

Our carrots are whittled and saggy, this is a time for big watties and no excuses.
Minimise returnees, this is a moral challenge but an imperative for our economy and health.
Tough love I think is a modern term decades ago.

If you want to control the environment, and only in this situation, I believe it's necessary. Then get it nailed.

That's my frustrated and alarmed view anyway.

What's yours.

M

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Replies:
Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:48pm
Agree

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:54pm
Cheers Muppet.
I'm going to change the intro.
Sorry.

-------------

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:22pm
The person was a selfish moronic twit that displayed the true selfish side of human nature.
Returning from India?
Suspect they are a resident not a citizen.
If a resident, residency cancelled and deported back to their country of origin.
It is about time our leaders grew some cajones and showed this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated.
Not just with regards to Covid either.
This is not the first time someone has walked out of isolation.
Some were even released by officials without having a test.
You are correct MATTOO we have been extremely lucky.
Good luck rather than a lot of good management.
However that cannot and will not last.
The bureaucrats have being playing a good game in front of the media, however behind the curtains they are having a shocker with many dropped balls/passes.
Worried now, wait until Cindi crumbles under the pressure and allows for the resumption of international flights and do not forget there is an election coming so she will want to be all things to all people.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:21pm
We dont know if we are lucky yet. How do you know that F..kwit hasnt contaminated someone in the supermarket?
This is unfortunately where things start falling down.... Its like we have gone full circle and once again we are relying on peoples good will to do the right thing and quarantine correctly.
Dear I say it. Its only a matter of time before we have community transmission. Question is what happens then?....   

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:31pm
She will bring in the death tax

And welcome in Covid most likely.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

We dont know if we are lucky yet. How do you know that F..kwit hasnt contaminated someone in the supermarket?
This is unfortunately where things start falling down.... Its like we have gone full circle and once again we are relying on peoples good will to do the right thing and quarantine correctly.
Dear I say it. Its only a matter of time before we have community transmission. Question is what happens then?....   
He wore a mask but where did he go for 70minutes??they can account for 20 minutes  and Countdown chose to close and do a deep clean,who is paying??

-------------
She said you're deaf.No I have selective hearing.And thats when it started.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:53pm
It is unacceptable - obviously. But we seem intent on playing a game we can't control, and can't afford. It costs about $4k to bring each of these people over the border. No limitations or restrictions. All borne by 2-3 M taxpayers. Approx 1m 'kiwis' still o/seas. All free to return, at our expense. 0.5M in Aus - living the dream - until the Aus Govt won't support them .And as soon as they arrive, qualify for a range of welfare assistance. It is totally unaffordable. Could go on for a year or more. Behind them a long line of people with work visas with no jobs. Our Minister of Kindness is doing the country no favours. As soon as our debts come home to roost and things pick up o/seas, they are first to flee.
For those who say - they are kiwis - what else would you do......
Charge them at the border - full cost recovery. Why should NZ taxpayers pay their costs - many haven't been in NZ for years. Student debts..pay up before asking the taxpayer to front again for you.
Stand down periods before going on the taxpayer funded welfare - use your own funds first. 
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:55pm
Agree Alan

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:02pm
They are going to prosecute him to the maximum. However I find it ludicrous that the security guards do not have the power to stop anyone in quarantine from leaving their hotel... Nuts... 

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
He walked around the supermarket taking selfie’s which he would have emailed to his other FWT mates. He needs to be quarantined in mount Eden for a year. Six months of $4000.00 rubbish

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:33pm
It really is a balancing act though... go full Auschwitz and its civil rights violations etc.

Im Guessing alot of hotels are only just now ramping up there security because of public scrutiny. Some 19 yo hotel intern isn't gonna be policing hundreds of people on a daily basis.
Could be worse.... aussie  hotel security staff have been knocking boots with quarantined patrons.  

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:13pm
Another clown in the same mold as the supermarket cougher. Its seems every few days  another new drama unfolds. Are we still to Laxed on the people Quarantined? Noticed also the media reports on covids  sharp increases around the world again but haven't heard if anyone is still dying where as its all we use to here about? 

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm
Yeah I think there is a don't care attitude in most of the world. Which will eventually get here in the end.

Posted By: Clutch
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:04pm
Agree with you Alan.

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

... Noticed also the media reports on covids  sharp increases around the world again but haven't heard if anyone is still dying where as its all we use to here about? 

People are still dying Geoff. A site I looked at indicated that from 1 July to 7 July inclusive there were 1,381,800 new infections globally. Over the same period 32,410 died from Covid-19. That equates to a death rate of 2.35% of new infections. There are many different ways to interpret the stats but that gives you a ball park idea.

Posted By: whippersnappyr
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:31pm
the guy was an idiot (my guess tinder hookup) but the risk of any major issue is low. No one has been infected by someone else in a supermarket even when we had cases in the community. 

As long as we catch these outliers and aggressively contact trace we’ll be ok.

Interesting that globally as cases still soaring hospitalisation and deaths aren’t. Lots of young people testing positive but no indication of any major increase in morbidity and mortality as a result. See the serious cases chart below

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:31am
The supermarket lied about closing....
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/coronavirus-patrick-gower-calls-out-countdown-for-incorrect-claims-that-supermarket-was-closed-after-covid-19-case-s-shopping-trip.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/coronavirus-patrick-gower-calls-out-countdown-for-incorrect-claims-that-supermarket-was-closed-after-covid-19-case-s-shopping-trip.html

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:46am
Suspect they are a resident not a citizen.
If a resident, residency cancelled and deported back to their country of origin.
It is about time our leaders grew some cajones and showed this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated.
Not just with regards to Covid either.

Thumbs Up

It really is a balancing act though... go full Auschwitz and its civil rights violations etc.

Really? here we have the whole social structure, the health and the economy on a knife edge
and its a Balancing act??
 We must put the 'rights of idiots with no respect to the rest of Kiwis  1st?
  Really?

Citizen.. imprisonment
 Resident, residendcy canceled and imprisonment till re repatriated.
 No Family discretion etc.
 This is the welfare... no lives, of our Citizens, their social well being and economic life blood of this country..
Risk that , espec as a just a resident  in that means that person doesn't really have enough respect of NZ or its people to stay.

Once again , what the hell is Jacinda up to.. her Well being of citizens and Country... or just wants to put everything at risk  so she can be seen as  nice person for future UN appointments?

Posted By: Fishy11
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 1:19pm
Steps, i don't disagree with you about the incompetence of this government and also the very likely ulterior motives of the PM (only have to read any of my previous posts on this topicLOL) But what i think is being missed here is this - Should we really be so eager to give up more of our rights because of government blunders? We've already lost a heap of legal rights in this country over the past 6 months that we will never get back and that most New Zealanders don't even realize has actually happened.
Basically the government stuffs up at the border or whatever, which screws us all i agree. But then we should be screwed over even more in the long run by supporting more policy and legislation that infringes on our human rights from the same government who screwed us over in the first place.
We already have a government who has legislated warrantless searches being an ok thing. A government who's top policemen threaten 250,000 law abiding firearm licence holders with imprisonment if they don't hand in their guns. Then in the next breath sit down and have a cup of tea with the leaders of the two biggest criminal gangs in NZ.

Advocating for the imprisonment of people with a glorified cold is a dangerous path to be going down. Before someone gets offended by me calling it that just remember more people die in NZ each year from the common flu/colds we normally get every year. Should we have also been imprisoning anyone with those viruses all this time....
All i'm saying is be careful what you wish for NZ, this country is going down a slippery slope and a lot of people are being had right now.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 4:02pm
I am not keen on imprisonment but a bill for the troubles would go a long way.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
A nephew who lives in Australia is currently working in England and if he chooses to return to Aussie he has been warned ,that he will pay his isolation upon return

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-national/govt-looks-australia-considers-charging-isolation-costs" rel="nofollow - https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-national/govt-looks-australia-considers-charging-isolation-costs

We're seeing that Queensland is starting to [require payment] so I'm very interested in the system there - it's co-payment,"

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Another clown in the same mold as the supermarket cougher. Its seems every few days  another new drama unfolds. Are we still to Laxed on the people Quarantined? Noticed also the media reports on covids  sharp increases around the world again but haven't heard if anyone is still dying where as its all we use to here about? 

Sad to say but plenty still dying in USA. I think Texas is bad, but most of the states have increasing numbers of new cases.. At least that was what they said on CNN last night.. 

Posted By: Hook-it
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Set the scene for others. You (will go to jail for a month min ) if you do not care about our country/citizens and the rules /law it lays down for all. A bill for trouble caused should be mandatory. Min of ten thousand per offence. The jumped up young sprat of a women that tested the system recently needs all of that thrown at her.

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Problem with imprisonment is there's likely to be minimal difference between the 4* quarantine hotel and a jail cell these days. 
Transport the feckers to Waiouru for 4 weeks hard labour instead. Might wake a few up...

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:52pm
Sentence them to season tickets to the Warriors

-------------
Top 10 finish
2021 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Coastbusters
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:37am
It seems almost inevitable that it will reenter here at some point and we could end up with Melbourne situation here. Quarantine and managed isolation are not the same. Those without symptoms at airport controls go into managed isolation instead of quarantine (even though we now know that lots of people can have it and been symptom free) They are allowed out for walks etc in public "as long as they don't meet with others".
There are currently almost 5000 people in managed isolation. It only takes a few idiots. As we saw during lockdown, more than a few people are selfish and will break the rules.

Also, you can apply not to go into managed isolation if you have medical issues that the facility cannot cater for. 53 people were approved to skip isolation in the last week alone.

I hope we can keep a lid on it. It will come at a huge cost, but so will letting it in. We have done well so far.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-border-controls/covid-19-quarantine-and-managed-isolation-numbers" rel="nofollow - https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-border-controls/covid-19-quarantine-and-managed-isolation-numbers

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:06am
One comes to this county knowing full well you will be a now managed isolation..
One knows that the reason it to eliminate any risk of sickness to our citizens.
 Be it a Aussie who decides to come here and shoot up a few NZ citizens, or one come here and knowing infect kiwis with HIV.. imprison able offence with precedent of imprisonment sentences, or covid or any other deases... including animals plants and insects.

As to infringement on human rights etc..
Have a law that allows, no requires authorities to arrest and/or detain a person to prevent further infection of the population...
 I go for the protection of the right to a healthy and long life Of the great majority of NZs population .. not the protection of someone who threatens those lives.

The alternative to that is what?
" hey johnny has absconded from isolation, its all ok, well will wait for him to come back to his room in the next 14 days sometime so we can test him again before releasing."
Yep thats what the alternative boils down to..

Human rights? whoes theirs  or ours?

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
I think Mr Spock said it best.  "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one"

Posted By: Dagwood
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
See we've had another one in Hamilton. Cut through a fence to get a few drinks...

It's getting out of hand. 

Unless we're going to turn every facility into a prison and pay the associated costs, we need a real deterrent for these morons who think they are above the process.

Remand them in custody until their isolation is sorted. Then court at which point guilty non citizens are deported home and guilty NZ citizens are billed with a fine and the full cost.

Feel sorry for those playing the game and feeling the anger from the country because of a few..

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:36pm
3000 per week at current rates. Estimate maybe 50% of those o/seas will want to return in the next yr or two. That is about 175 weeks of this.
Without return trips back or kiwis in NZ currently taking a trip o/seas in the next 3 yrs.
NOT sustainable.
Financially or resource wise.250 Police now out of the loop looking after these loonies.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
I think he was also putting himself at risk of contracting a venereal disease wandering around Hamilton willy nilly like that...!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Both the guy who went off to countdown in auckland and now the guy who cut a fence to go and buy booze,obviously had active bank accounts. In that case why are we ,the taxpayer ,paying for their 5 star hotel accomodation.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:04pm
I read the following this morning in a Reuters article:

"New Zealand is among only a handful of countries to virtually eliminate the virus, with no known cases of community transmission in the South Pacific island nation, and the economy back to pre-pandemic normalcy."

It would appear you folk are back to normal.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:25pm
Yeah cause msm is always right,lol

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:53pm
we need a real deterrent for these morons who think they are above the process.

You have just defined these ppl "morons"  And no matter the deterrent for morons , because they are, the concept of deterrent is beyond them.. We see this in drunk driving thru to murder...

Remand them in custody until their isolation is sorted. Then court at which point guilty non citizens are deported home and guilty NZ citizens are billed with a fine and the full cost.

I saying my comment above, I still agree, some maynot be morons and deterrent may work IF an example , or a few are made....
'If example is not made with serious consequences as suggested then we just end up with repeat offenders as per say fish poaching..
 And if serious fines, deportations, imprisonment etc is not made it simply means our parliament has also not that serious when it comes to the crunch.

"New Zealand is among only a handful of countries to virtually eliminate the virus, with no known cases of community transmission in the South Pacific island nation, and the economy back to pre-pandemic normalcy."

Well yeah... sports, socially etc, But wait , there is more... the wage susisdies still have to come off.. the productivity drop will cause further unemployment.. all that still has to kick in over the next 12 months.

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Both the guy who went off to countdown in auckland and now the guy who cut a fence to go and buy booze,obviously had active bank accounts. In that case why are we ,the taxpayer ,paying for their 5 star hotel accomodation.
The Hamilton absconder used cash to buy his 4 bottles of Lefee beer and a pinot noir.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Yeah - but it is a weird kind of normal.
Even have o/seas experts telling us ours is the gold standard as to how to deal with it. Thanks for the compliment - would you care to donate to the cause??
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:42pm
Alan - my comment about the NZ economy being back to normal was more tongue in cheek and aimed squarely at the garbage written by journalists.
Tourism is NZ's largest export industry contributing some 20% and that same tourism generates almost 10% in the country's GDP.  How can that be back to normal when you have no tourists.

This is an interesting read:
https://www.nzcpr.com/newsletter/" rel="nofollow - https://www.nzcpr.com/newsletter/   

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
It's clear most in this country get it....

We get that just one individual for whatever reason with Covid enters our nation and spreads this virus.

It's unusual that one small seemingly indiscretion is of such import..
If the whole world wasn't in dire straits I'd agree we are too exuberant in our vitriol.
But the facts or reality is clearly evident.
Which is why we get it.

Now we get it, or 99.9% of us do anyway.
It's not just the disease it's our pockets, it's our ability to live.

We have the best opportunity for health, wealth and mental well being that no and I mean no other nation has.

We recognise it.
We want that.
We need to fight for it.

Our politicians are more interested in politics than out welfare.

Be loud in your response, be active in your non acceptance of these indiscretions.
Don't let up on your disgust.
You are just protecting your, mine and all of our arses.

And fishy11,
I strongly disagree with your cough assessment.
You are ill informed, and have no insight to the development of this virus. I'll take time to address this later.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:15pm
That article is bang on

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:20pm

Alan - my comment about the NZ economy being back to normal was more tongue in cheek and aimed squarely at the garbage written by journalists.

Of course - I got that. But it is our new normal and likely for some time.
And it is weird. The state controlling so much of our lives. 
They talk of a Pacific bubble. But for reasons that escape me (sort of) we can't have one with already Covid free Pacific countries, until we have one with Aus. We are prisoners in our country basically. Vtu has been Covid free from day 1. And I would love to/need to get back. Have a house and a cyclone (Harold) rampage that needs sorting. But I am not allowed - because we don't have a bubble - so no flights.
Regards
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:15pm
Dont panic people. Aunty Helen Clark is going head the covid19 Global team.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:48pm
Oh, I'm guessing NZ's response is in for some serious critique......hahaha.
The same person responsible for massive election bribes just before an election.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

And fishy11,
I strongly disagree with your cough assessment.
You are ill informed, and have no insight to the development of this virus. I'll take time to address this later.

My cough comment? huh? you mean when i used the words cold and flu? i never said cough.
Oh please do elaborate though....
Since i'm so ill informed compared to you but you don't actually say anything of substance, righto.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 4:45pm
I probably came across to intense Fishy11.

Let's just say some of my views maybe coloured.

Have you been watching the longer term effects that are showing up across the world.
Some of those are that it seems the virus stays with some after there recovery wether light or hard initial effects. This covers old and young.
Some of these people are saying there symptoms are reacurring.
Some are light coughing, some are intense coughing not able to function with muscle wear or tiredness from there coughing.
There are those who are having issues with energy loss.
Then there are quite a number who are suffering neurological issues.

Accepting that this is a novel virus and so early in its span. There are many things that are unknown.

I have a personal example.

An acquantince in Scotland only just retired after 34 years from the army.
Healthy, fit as. No known or previous health issues.

He gets Covid in late February.
Very quickly into intensive care.
Just left intensive care in June.
He's lost 80% of his muscle mass.
He will be remaining in hospital care for an unknown time.
The best guess of the doctors is he may be able to learn to walk again next year..
After he and his body has and will go through learning to redo many other normal functions...

That for me is why " its just a cold or flu" doesn't quite stack up.

But we're all entitled to our views.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:22pm
Yeah maybe a little but i came back probably too intense as wellLOL
All i was meaning though is if you were going to say i was ill informed then state why or what parts of my post were incorrect. I'm not blindly opposed to changing my views on anything.

For what it's worth i know 2 people in the U.S who have had it, one late 30's the other early 50's both super fit and both are fine or at least seems so. More or less standard cold or flu symptoms for about 10-12 days and super tired but now back to normal. I guess the thing is we can all use particular examples to suit our narrative.
The one you gave is obviously pretty terrible but extremely far from the norm. Certainly seems to be a few different takes on correct approach to treat it. Like the whole ventilator thing of putting people on them then their body no longer wants to breathe for itself when they try to take them off. Obviously some people do need to go on one just is interesting is all.

I just don't agree with this mob mentality thing that seems to be rearing it's head. Moaning about how the government should punish people more or legislate things - restricting innocent unrelated people when the government are the ones making the majority of the stuff ups or doing things arse about face in the first place.
If there's one thing we all could have taken from this whole exercise it's that less reliance on government and more self responsibility might be a good thing. Seems many people though want to go the opposite route.

Dunno though, that's my 2c for they day.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:38pm
Appreciate your considered response.

When we have meat in the subject, being considered in our response is challenging.

I prefer to not respond, as this format is unnatural for me.

So an elequount or reasoned argument is to hard for me, so I prefer not to respond.

Fishy11,
This tool,the forum. Is a hard ask to engage in valuable conversation for many I'm included.
Still we want to express ourselves.

I enjoy your expressions and opinions in the main.
The tool we use is blunt.
It's the reading between the lines of the tool that helps.

Back to Covid though, as I said it's "Novel".
That's the main background concern for me.

It will take decades to discover this particular virus effects.
But overall in a small time frame and with limited info it's looking challenging.

I hope your right and I'm wrong, but I don't believe that statement..

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:39pm
It's not just a glorified cough. Look at the stats around the world.

I personally know of 4 people in England who have had it. 2 of them are dead and one has his lungs ruined for life after s long spell in ICU.
It is not just a cough. Generally, healthy 49 year olds don't end up on life support with a cold.
Anyway, our health system is balanced on a knife edge of efficiency. It has just enough resources to run badly. The same as UK etc. it doesn't take much of a spike in numbers to throw it into chaos. I am writing this from an Emergency Dept waiting room right now that I have been sitting in for 4 hours (not Covid related).
Any increase in numbers of any kind would wreak havoc on this fragile system. It has zero flexibility for additional numbers, except to refuse care for others (cancer patients, non life saving surgery etc).

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
Potential isolation for months,maybe years....this will not end well.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/new-zealand-to-quarantine-people-for-months-maybe-years-as-covid-19-rages-around-world-epidemiologist-michael-baker.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/new-zealand-to-quarantine-people-for-months-maybe-years-as-covid-19-rages-around-world-epidemiologist-michael-baker.html

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:48pm
"look at the stats" oh righto, you mean how 98-99% or more of people who contract covid experience standard cold or flu like symptoms for a week or two. Or do we just want to cherry pick the worst cases which are very extreme exceptions. What's the average age of death from covid in NZ and the U.S vs the average life expectancy.... how many of those in NZ who died from covid(or had covid) had serious pre existing health issues.... all of them.

This virus will be the least of anyone's worries in a few years time. There's much more worrying things going on that will impact our lives far worse. If you still are yet to figure that one out you probably never will.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:39pm
I don't think many people realise what slope we are sliding down. Such is life,but not as we knew it lol.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:48pm
Even if 99% of people walk away from it (which they dont), it is still way higher than flu. Flu kills 0.1% of those infected. Covid 19 is 1.6%-3%, so at least 10 times more. That is why 50,000+ are dead in the UK and still counting even though lockdown for 3 months has slowed it down or it would be higher.
1% may not seem like much to you, but it is a medical and financial disaster for the health system.
I once thought like you, but my friend's wife is a doctor and my sister in law is a UK nurse and they explained to me how terrified the whole medical profession is of a disease with a mortality rate of 1%, never mind 3%. The flu cripples the system every year. A 1% difference in deaths is massive. It also hospitalises more who need ICU.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:11am
Even though I said that this disease mortality rate is potentially very high, I am still very wary of the fact that governments across the world, including ours, are using it to take away basic rights. It also worries me how quickly the public has turned into a baying mob of "send him to the gallows" or "they should all be sent to a leper island with no food", or "set up a new hunger games for anyone who didn't stay at home during lockdown" type calls for justice. I am exaggerating obviously, but that kind of thing.
I read yesterday about an English couple who have lived and worked here for years. But they are not citizens or residents. They are on work visas. They were on holiday in Bali when this kicked off and now they can't return.
People are going "screw them, send them back to England, they are not citizens" etc. But they have a life here, belongings, cars, furniture etc and nothing in England.
I think this virus has made us all forget about humanity and we are all good heaping pain or consequences on individuals without much of a thought.
It seems to me that if some Trump type put himself up for election, saying he would build a wall, keep foreigners out, send outsiders home, make tougher death sentences for more criminals,etc, that he just might get voted in! Jeez, I reckon Kim Jong- un would have a chance, the way some are talking online in social media etc.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:31am
I think this virus has made us all forget about humanity and we are all good heaping pain or consequences on individuals without much of a thought.

Or shall we put this around the other way.

I think that this virus made
some of us forget about humanity, and we are good at heaping pain and death on the rest of our community and individuals, with no thought of consequences for them.

So for those who dont give a give a 5h1t for the rest of the country, people, that has potential to wipe out 1000s...espec our parents and grandparents....we should slap them on the wrist?

You see your wifes, your own parents grand parents suffer, and die, along with 1/2 of those down tyour street and you will still have the same view in retrospect?

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
When you are fighting a losing battle the soldiers start to disagree.

Posted By: taurangatroutmaster
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:15pm
Don't worry about the virus. Worry about agenda 21 and agenda 2030 being rolled out in front of our eyes

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:30pm
I doubt anyone here has read about agenda 21......

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:50pm
I would say a few on here would know about it

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Even though I said that this disease mortality rate is potentially very high, I am still very wary of the fact that governments across the world, including ours, are using it to take away basic rights. It also worries me how quickly the public has turned into a baying mob of "send him to the gallows" or "they should all be sent to a leper island with no food", or "set up a new hunger games for anyone who didn't stay at home during lockdown" type calls for justice. I am exaggerating obviously, but that kind of thing.
I read yesterday about an English couple who have lived and worked here for years. But they are not citizens or residents. They are on work visas. They were on holiday in Bali when this kicked off and now they can't return.
People are going "screw them, send them back to England, they are not citizens" etc. But they have a life here, belongings, cars, furniture etc and nothing in England.
It seems to me that if some Trump type put himself up for election, saying he would build a wall, keep foreigners out, send outsiders home, make tougher death sentences for more criminals,etc, that he just might get voted in! Jeez, I reckon Kim Jong- un would have a chance, the way some are talking online in social media etc.

Sounds unfortunate about the English couple but the onus is on them. When we left Australia for the USA we took the trouble to become Australian citizens.  It was always just as in insurance to make sure we could always return in case Australia made it less hospitable for kiwis in the future.  Nothing stopped the English couple getting residency in NZ

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

Don't worry about the virus. Worry about agenda 21 and agenda 2030 being rolled out in front of our eyes

3,2,1 and he’s back in the room. 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:00pm
      Long time no see whippersnapper. Good to see you again buddy. I've missed ya

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:46pm
Newstalk the other night. Announcer stated there had been 46 pages of deaths due covid- 19 in a Miami newspaper the other day... Been trying to check this, but certainly makes you think...

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by whippersnappyr whippersnappyr wrote:

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Sounds unfortunate about the English couple but the onus is on them. When we left Australia for the USA we took the trouble to become Australian citizens.  It was always just as in insurance to make sure we could always return in case Australia made it less hospitable for kiwis in the future.  Nothing stopped the English couple getting residency in NZ

Same reasoning goes for the Kiwi/Aussie bad characters being deported.
Some have been there for 15-20 years then bleat because they have no connections here.
Go figure.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:06pm
[/QUOTE]
Some have been there for 15-20 years then bleat because they have no connections here.
Go figure.
[/QUOTE]

If they can't abide by the laws of the country they elect to live in, show them the door.  No problems, agree 100%.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:17pm

[/QUOTE] <
Go figure.
[/QUOTE]

If they can't abide by the laws of the country they elect to live in, show them the door.  No problems, agree 100%.
[/QUOTE]

The problem I have, is these long timers learned their craft in Australia, not NZ.
Therefore NZ should not be lumbered with their rehabilitation as it was the Aussie system that educated/created them.
The point I was making is that they mostly all say the want to stay in Aussie but made no effort to become citizens.
Apparently most of them only put effort into criminal shenanigans. Some got caught, others did not and were deemed 'of bad character" due to their associations.
Unfortunately, I agree with Cindi on this one. Cry

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

The problem I have, is these long timers learned their craft in Australia, not NZ.
Therefore NZ should not be lumbered with their rehabilitation as it was the Aussie system that educated/created them.
The point I was making is that they mostly all say the want to stay in Aussie but made no effort to become citizens.
Apparently most of them only put effort into criminal shenanigans. Some got caught, others did not and were deemed 'of bad character" due to their associations.
[/QUOTE]

Bad apples don't fall far from the tree.

Life is full of choices.  Make poor choices and you will be sent packing.  Take some of your mates as well.  No problem.  

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:18pm

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

Bad apples don't fall far from the tree.

Life is full of choices.  Make poor choices and you will be sent packing.  Take some of your mates as well.  No problem.  
[/QUOTE]

I just wish NZ had the cajones to do what Aussie is doing.
Immigrant with aids convicted of deliberately spreading the disease.
Not deported after prison because he would not get the treatment he needed to survive in his home country.
Another overstayer convicted of spousal abuse many times, allowed to stay here because he cannot get dialysis in his home country.
The list is long and most are on a benefit or being a drain on our under staffed and under resourced health system. Angry

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:52pm
We are a stupidly soft touch in so many aspects. And our Minister of Kindness doesn't help. V8 - you forgot Stroubeck - convicted of massive drug importation then current Minister of Immigration grants him Residency?? WTF?? Public outcry. That one got overturned. Apparently he had only skimmed his long criminal record. Tui Billboard.
Aussie is closer to the mark. Then we are pleading with them to give us some of the 'asylum seekers' in detention in Aus. Aus says No. Cause they can go straight back to Aus. But Jacinda (MoKindness) keeps insisting.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:46pm
yes I have a similar view. If you go to a country and do a crime (not just small offences aussies are using as excuses) you are showing no respect to the country that took you in. Be sent home no matter what the circumstances. 

A big issue is the “kiwis” being sent back here are born in Australia with little links to nz. Some say openly they hate NZ don’t know anyone or have family here. 

A plus for the honest kiwi suffering from the new criminals and paying for their punishment if caught is we don’t have to watch American crime tv shows to see all these new gangs. We can just go to the pub.

Jacinda full on burnt ScoMo (Aussie PM) on TV here in Aussie. Ran rings around him with facts and verbally smashed him on the news ...he looked a right plonker as had no comeback... 

It actually prompted a redneck Ignorent long time radio DJ here (like Hoskings) to abuse her on his radio show. To huge public uproar and large sponsors canceled their funding!!! The old bugger was forced to apologise and finished his career not long after....

No one F#@ks with NZs PM....she is ADORED globally, and put NZ on the map for being just and fair (their words) ...the amount of times when someone’s finds out I’m a kiwi they quickly say how lucky we are and awesome she is and they would swap with their countries leaders in a flash.

I always say...well she has let our fisheries commercial abuse continue and our rivers be heavily polluted though she promised she would fix Nationals enormous environmental damage. 

Can’t have everything I guess....

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

A big issue is the “kiwis” being sent back here are born in Australia with little links to nz. Some say openly they hate NZ don’t know anyone or have family here.

Dunno about that, pretty sure being born in Australia makes you an Australian citizen except in a small amount of complicated circumstances. Most of the ones being sent back are residents of Australia but NZ citizens. They aren't sending a whole heap of Australian citizens to NZ because of crimes committed in Aus.
Commit crimes in a country you're not a citizen of don't be surprised when you get sent back to where you came from, end of story.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:41am
The citizen right in Australia changed,I think in 2000.We were residents only for taxation purposes.When NO2 was born he got a Aussie birth certificate but had to get a NZ passport and then we had to apply for NZ citizenship for him.Bit of a mess but can see where to Aussies were coming from.
Stops people arriving,having a baby or 2 then demanding benefits etc as those babies would be classed as citizens.Think NZ woke up to the fact as well,not sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:40am
pretty sure if you are born in Aus it doesn’t make you a citizen.  Unlike the USA

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:34am
Bottom line, Aussie , like most countries will expel non citizens if play up..
For get length time whatever.. sure there is give a heart a rub thing, but at the end of the day..
 When in Rome do as the Romans.. or get feed to the lions.

My problem with this is why in the hell dont we have the same thing?
A non citizen, thats a person on residency , visa , play up get convicted of a crime that has more than 1yr sentence.. note that doesnt mean they the are convicted for a yr, just the crime has more than 1yr. They are gone.
If they didnt think about their families here , jobs etc  it is their call...

Rather than criticise Aussie policy we should be looking at their example and doing the same.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:14am
Exactly Steps. Don't know how that is so hard for others on here to grasp. The pricks should be grateful Aussie isn't like a bunch of other countries in the world who aren't so nice when it comes to human rights or lack of.

Just to touch on the citizenship thing, you are correct in a sense PJC. Obviously if you are born in Aus but are only going  to be there a month or something and your parents are NZ citizens you will also be a NZ citizen. That's not  the norm for most of the ones being sent back though. Most were born in NZ, grew up as kids here then moved to Aus sometime in their life either as a minor or in early adulthood. Yes they may have been in Aus for 10, 20 years etc and have kids, end of the day they are still NZ citizens.

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:19am
Fishy11 you are quite right. I stand corrected on that part. Thanks 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
Not disagreeing about the Citizenship thing above - but we did/have a rort going on in NZ. Pregnant women have been arriving in NZ a month or two before birth date on visitor visa, and give birth here. Pretty sure they get NZ passport to travel back. US was a common user of this loophole. That means the kid can grow up with a NZ passport and move here sometime later then bring their ageing parents over.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

Exactly Steps. Don't know how that is so hard for others on here to grasp. The pricks should be grateful Aussie isn't like a bunch of other countries in the world who aren't so nice when it comes to human rights or lack of.

Just to touch on the citizenship thing, you are correct in a sense PJC. Obviously if you are born in Aus but are only going  to be there a month or something and your parents are NZ citizens you will also be a NZ citizen. That's not  the norm for most of the ones being sent back though. Most were born in NZ, grew up as kids here then moved to Aus sometime in their life either as a minor or in early adulthood. Yes they may have been in Aus for 10, 20 years etc and have kids, end of the day they are still NZ citizens.
The birth part changed in 2000,we were there 3yrs,but we still got the stay at home mums benefit,That is one benefit that should be paid in NZ. If one parent working and one stays home to look after children until school age you got a payment.Back then it was like $280 pw.
Nz citizens doing the crime in Aussie.serve time over there and then deported no problem we do it with some pacific islands.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:49pm
"Nz citizens doing the crime in Aussie.serve time over there and then deported no problem we do it with some pacific island"

It seems we have exempted more than deported. On humanitarian grounds. The kids are in school here. Wife would have to follow, blah blah. Medical grounds - won't get their dialysis there. We have exempted some shockers - rape, wife beating. Do the crime - face the time and penalties. Unless you live in this country.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:59pm
[/QUOTE] ... we were there 3yrs,but we still got the stay at home mums benefit.  That is one benefit that should be paid in NZ. If one parent working and one stays home to look after children until school age you got a payment.  Back then it was like $280 pw....
[/QUOTE]

And that right there is one payment I have never been able to justify.  Why should the tax payers pay a weekly  allowance to a parent who has elected to have children rather than work.  Parenting is a lifestyle choice.  If you want children fine, but why should others pay for the choice you have made.  

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:17am
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300062627/defence-lawyers-call-for-urgent-review-of-covid19-prosecutions" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300062627/defence-lawyers-call-for-urgent-review-of-covid19-prosecutions

The story is not done yet. Next week will be interesting when the legality of the Lockdown goes to Court. Because as in the link above - there are hundreds of cases waiting to go - based on it.
Also anyone notice a couple of the quarantine breakers were named and shamed straight away - what happened to right to ask for name suppression etc. And yet a couple of others we have heard nothing of. No reports of a court appearance, or identity etc.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:58pm
Interesting Alan.  What was i saying months agoLOL
That supposed senior law lecturer the the article is a clueless b*tch by the way. Oh you can't let people off because then it sets a precedent. In turn it takes away the governments power to do what ever the F*ck they want if they decide to have another lockdown, like honestly wtf.
So we'd rather prosecute people under legislation that didn't really exist at the time of the alleged offence and waste the courts time, righto.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:30pm
So now we hear that 5 people have escaped isolation in hamilton.
Not the first time this has happened.

So we lock down to level 4 ,destroy the economy and lives in the process. Eventually we get on top of things, covid wise. Many days with zero new cases. Then we begin importing cases again as we open borders to returning New Zealanders. New cases reported daily for weeks now.
But these people are put in "secure managed isolation." Sounds good.
Dosent take long to realise that the isolation is neither secure nor managed.
How long before we become another Melbourne ,or worse.
We are not seeing incompetence ,this is beyond incompetence.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 9:35am
personally I’d anchor a cruise ship in the inner hauraki and out everyone on that. Have two if you like so positive people can go to a different ship. That way thry are all contained in one place and unless they are pretty good swimmers won’t breach the managed isolation order. Plenty of empty cruise ships around at the moment. 

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:31am
But  they would then want fishing gear ,bait and burley at taxpayers expense.

Posted By: Crochet Cast
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:45am

But they would then want fishing gear ,bait and burley at taxpayers expense.

Wouldn’t you? Basic human needs in my book. Right up there with air and water.

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:34pm
While the cruise ship has merits for security, if there was a case on board they would have difficulty stopping it spreading.,

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

While the cruise ship has merits for security, if there was a case on board they would have difficulty stopping it spreading.,

That’s why you have two.  Just like now positive cases are moved to the other ship (jetpark hotel in Auckland)

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:20am
the government makes endless stupid decisions in my view.  The $50 million for international student education sector is An excellent example.  This is basically $1k per international student.  Instead they should have found a way to open back up the border to international students with managed quarantine. If you assume that only half or less would come back then you have $2k per student to spend on that and then the sector will be independently back on its feet.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:39pm
Agree. They lack a lot of intuition and commonsense. Instead the answer to every problem is to throw a bucket of money at it. Clearly can't go on. And they have no idea how long this scenario will play out. Months, years? In which case they should be planning for the long term rather than throwing money away on short term band aid fixes. They have had long enough to come up with a strategy. How long has it taken them to consider charging at the border?? Half a billion$s on the taxpayers by years end. What if it had to persist for a year or two? If they want to cross the border, that is the cost. Never mind the bleating of those that have to pay - they aren't the ones funding it currently. Others are.
And today's quarantine escapee in court looks like getting diversion. Wet bus ticket when you think of the costs to get this far and what is at stake. Anyone without a previous criminal record will then apply for same. Scott free.
 Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Agree. They lack a lot of intuition and commonsense. Instead the answer to every problem is to throw a bucket of money at it. Clearly can't go on. And they have no idea how long this scenario will play out. Months, years? In which case they should be planning for the long term rather than throwing money away on short term band aid fixes. They have had long enough to come up with a strategy. How long has it taken them to consider charging at the border?? Half a billion$s on the taxpayers by years end. What if it had to persist for a year or two? If they want to cross the border, that is the cost. Never mind the bleating of those that have to pay - they aren't the ones funding it currently. Others are.
And today's quarantine escapee in court looks like getting diversion. Wet bus ticket when you think of the costs to get this far and what is at stake. Anyone without a previous criminal record will then apply for same. Scott free.
 Alan

If the legal beagles win in court, it will be open slather for the selfish and self centered to give the middle finger to the country and those already detained and/or fined will be claiming compensation.
Count on it.

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
Yes Alan I see implied diversion in the media.

Diversion should be eliminated forever.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:04pm
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12351614&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&fbclid=IwAR2MzKoVcLoK5LkYhp8G1wo4lm1vWJ7ERsSpM8xiLQF2akSZdDS4qlDfj4A" rel="nofollow - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12351614&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&fbclid=IwAR2MzKoVcLoK5LkYhp8G1wo4lm1vWJ7ERsSpM8xiLQF2akSZdDS4qlDfj4A

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:58pm
Everyday this South Korean case gets worse!

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:48pm
Have they said we was infected in the community? I don't understand,first they say he must have been infected on a flight,no they say they can't rule out him being infected before leaving.. how?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:56pm
may have been infected when arrived on visitors visa in march. who could know.

4 new cases today. Sylvia park food court closed. Queenstown locals being told to get tested asap.
What are we not being told.
Do i see the image of victoria building in the western sky.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Have they said we was infected in the community? I don't understand,first they say he must have been infected on a flight,no they say they can't rule out him being infected before leaving.. how?
What I can't figure is they seemed happy to accept he was infected in the Transit lounge. Only possibility - unless they want to accept community transmission in NZ. Which they don't.
So then they say he was infected enough in 12 hrs to show a positive test. Seems stretching it when they have been saying 2-3 days minimum for the last few months. 

Whats with Sylvia Park?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:22pm

may have been infected when arrived on visitors visa in march. who could know.

4 new cases today. Sylvia park food court closed. Queenstown locals being told to get tested asap.
What are we not being told.
Do i see the image of victoria building in the western sky.

Infected in March? And only tested positive when landing in Korea?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:29pm
I can't wait to hear the narrative on this one. It has to be a community infection,there is no other way. If it wasn't why are they washing places down and telling people to get tested asap? So out government has been caught red handed failing us yet again.....or lying....or both.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:32pm
Hmm, the testers the South Koreans use are more accurate than ours. They make their own testers. I think they are 97/98 % accurate which is probably top of the line. Can't remember how accurate our tests are probably about 92 % from memory.. The Koreans may be just picking up some traces of a previous slight infection? 

Print Page | Close Window