Print Page | Close Window

ePropulsion

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133868
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 3:27pm

Topic: ePropulsion
Posted By: Catchelot
Subject: ePropulsion
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
Electric motors and outboards...

https://plugboats.com/epropulsion-brings-new-spirit-48v-batteries-us-market/?fbclid=IwAR19DrvqOg94L4Gfv-dpisG7YkEVVV002pSuAoWLZ1EvjOqnKSkvyYCoutQ" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/epropulsion-brings-new-spirit-48v-batteries-us-market/?fbclid=IwAR19DrvqOg94L4Gfv-dpisG7YkEVVV002pSuAoWLZ1EvjOqnKSkvyYCoutQ

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Replies:
Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:28pm
The future right there!!
Light outboards, batteries getting lighter less than full tank of fuel, and can do many hours on one charge - this plus solar recharge. Imagine clipping your boat on car or untying launch from berth knowing you have full tanks for free, huge range and better performance.

Link below offerS 150-200HP equivalent options 

https://newatlas.com/marine/evoy-most-powerful-electric-outboard-motor/" rel="nofollow - https://newatlas.com/marine/evoy-most-powerful-electric-outboard-motor/

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:25pm
I can't see (or don't understand) data regarding (a) power output and (b) hours available on full charge.

How does this pan out for say 60 HP motor?  What would battery weight and hours/mileage on a full charge be?

If I was repowering electric would be really attractive option.   If $$$ sensible.

Posted By: whippersnappyr
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
Its all BS.  The motor weighs 150kg, they conveniently don't mention the space, the weight and the cost of the batteries you'll need.
The energy density of batteries is so low that there is no practical solution for electric engines in boats other than little tenders.

Even hybrid things like the Greenline 40 will do about 4 knots on electric for about 3 hours so a range of 12NM going at a crawl. So essentially useless for anything other than niche uses like a river boat.

Just for fun let's do some quick math on the 150hp outboard.  It is 90kW nominal so at cruise it will deplete a 90KWh battery in an hour. The 85kwh battery pack in a Tesla weighs 540kg.

So you have a powertrain weighing 700kg plus.  You have an endurance of 1 hour at cruise (imagine this engine on say a Haines Hunter SF600 maybe 25knots at its nominal power).

So you have an engine that:

- Weighs 700kg (the full weight all the time)
- Goes about 25NM and then is completed depleted at planing cruise speeds.
- Will then take 2 -10 hours to charge and obviously can't be done on the water
- Based on the current premiums of tender electric motors vs outboard will costs 2.5-3x the price of a petrol outboard.

So in summary, not for me.

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
Thanks W- waiting on battery technology really

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
For those interested in electric boats...

https://plugboats.com/international-electric-boat-awards/?fbclid=IwAR0oi9TlKlgVFCy3WeX-_fEMrTCZ4rJ4QFNlZGUhH7ZCHkmPzY8N_ZXlJJM" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/international-electric-boat-awards/?fbclid=IwAR0oi9TlKlgVFCy3WeX-_fEMrTCZ4rJ4QFNlZGUhH7ZCHkmPzY8N_ZXlJJM

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
I like this one a foiling run about.Clap

https://candelaspeedboat.com/" rel="nofollow - https://candelaspeedboat.com/

-------------

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 5:26pm
W is on to it.

But the beauty here is there are those prepared to put there hands in there pockets to develop this technology.

That's the exciting part.
As we humans keep developing the rest of us win.

Thank people for glass half full thinking.

Praise human endeavours.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I like this one a foiling run about.Clap

https://candelaspeedboat.com/" rel="nofollow - https://candelaspeedboat.com/

Thats bloody awsome. Its only a matter of time before small foiling hulls are pretty mainstream I recon. Way of the future.  

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:46am
WS number crunching is on to it...
 Based o WS number etc which look pretty much well thought thru and correct....

Around the 25kn (28mph well powered)  But...that is for around a 200 hp and normal engine/fuel weight.
Now add the difference in weight between a normal engine setup and the electric setup to the gross weight on the water, then suddenly the power requirements (and weight of the electric system becomes far bigger.
 Or stay at the std well powered 200/225hp and the cruise speed and hole shot falls away dramatically.

It will take around 85 to 90hp (approx 70kw) of the 200hp engine to cruise at 28 mph.
Add another 700kg to the boat weight, you now need approx 130hp to cruise at 28mph....
note: the extra weight will drop the hulls friction constant down an estimated 5 to 7 points in the calculations.

Now this is all well and good on flat water, get a bit of chop the HP requirement for standard engine is around 10 to 15%...min
So now to be practical looking around 150hp 115Kw min at cruise.

Now the battery..A 14kwh tesla only has approx 5kw max output. now things move in to the nah...
Now throw in battery plus equipment gets up around the 15K, and you need 115/5 = number batteries..

Thu apply to something like a displacement type hull and used as a tug boat, or a river cruise boat...not a planing hull.
 Or foil as mentioned above...???

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:29pm
A number of interesting features on that boat.

Did you see the hull shape.

More importantly did you check out the trailer!?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

A number of interesting features on that boat.

Did you see the hull shape.

More importantly did you check out the trailer!?

Yes, very little wake.

50nm range at 22 knots, top speed 30 knots, no slammng into waves and it will text you if it moves (anti-theft feature) 

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:02pm
Its not new technology. Who didnt have a battery powered toy boat in the bathLOL
Preferred the old pop pop boat though.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Its not new technology. Who didnt have a battery powered toy boat in the bathLOL

Yep, but they didn't have foils  Smile 

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
Yeah. Looks Great.
Does not throw out bugger all wake out the back.... I doubt a wake boarder would be particularly impressed ...... and catching a cray pot buoy on ya fancy little foil could prove embarrassing .... but other than that what a bloody great Idea.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:46pm
All good comments.
The energy to foil will kill it if your hunting or just using your toy.
The soap bath boats were better engineered, Joke.
Would of been cool to have foils though...
At that age no concern on performance.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Yes but you bath toys were vibrated, not propelled! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:47pm
batteries have improved incredibly in 24 months. Latest EV for the road can charge 80% in 46 mins and when full range 650km 

And what ever is release in old technology already. Imagine what they have in development now.

Almost scared to buy a new outboard in case it’s out dated in 5 years....

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

batteries have improved incredibly in 24 months. Latest EV for the road can charge 80% in 46 mins and when full range 650km 

And what ever is release in old technology already. Imagine what they have in development now.

Almost scared to buy a new outboard in case it’s out dated in 5 years....

Yeah it has taken a long long time but electric vehicles have really become progressed. Not sure they are as green as they say but certainly they are cheaper t run and performance is incredible

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Lot difference between a vehicle on rolling wheels and a boat planing hull that is basically a vehicle going up a steep hill ALL the time.

What we need is after market foils for our current boats, engines.

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:03am
Coastguard?, Can you bring me out a charged battery please... Mines gone flat....

And if you are away for a week with now mains power, your boat will go flat....

Planing boats are horribly power hungry, it takes 50l to move my 2t boat 100km, my 2.5t patrol takes about 12l to move the same distance at twice the speed.

So we talk of displacement speed being more economical, it's not. It just requires less HP at a given moment.

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:30am
Anyone actually looked into installing a battery charger?
The cost?
We have installed solar panels on house roof...and was looking at cars to upgrade the wifes big horn..which included EV / hybrids. Part of that included the calculations to re charge, time, cost, and cost to install a charge point.
 Things got to.... batteries have about 10yr life span when storage drops below 80% (think was).. it is not use dependent. And got to $3k for charge point and had not finished fully costing it up...

So we talk of displacement speed being more economical, it's not. It just requires less HP at a given moment.

Displacement is a whole very different kettle of fish..
longer the hull the faster it goes and requires less hp. Rather simplified
Which is why the larger  planing trailer boats trawling out wide, as a displacement hull, do so on a oily rag... and the smaller 5/6m chew thru
And we have so many threads questioning  "why does 'joes' boat only use x fuel and my little boat uses way more?"

It also explains why the little 'clip on" electric outboards can have suck little batteries.. maybe a planing hull but at trolling/ slow, or just postion in a current they are displacement hulls.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:22pm
I am curious as to what happens to the EV batteries when stuffed.
Is the manufacturer compelled to take them back? Do they go back to japan? At whose cost?
And what do they do with them then ? How much material is recoverable?
The rare earths used in many of the later Gen batteries are horrendous in terms of the mining activity to extract them.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Is the manufacturer compelled to take them back? Do they go back to japan? At whose cost?
The rare earths used in many of the later Gen batteries are horrendous in terms of the mining activity to extract them.
Alan

Good point, I have read that 1000lbs of modern battery equates to about 500,000 lbs of raw materials!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Alan

The battery can be repurposed to provide household power from solar charging or they can be reconditioned, the individual faulty cells can be identified and replaced. Old EV batteries are sort after.. NZ has problems as it is difficult (impossible) to get replacement batteries (for leafs) as they don't like sending them here as freight..

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 3:14pm
Does the above mean the manufacturer has any obligation to take them back? Or are we left to find a home for them? Re purposing stuffed EV batteries for solar would have limited appeal I think. Solar systems place considerable load on battery supply. Which is why solar batteries are the main cost of the system. 
What do we ultimately do with them when they don't function well enough for solar? High quality dedicated solar batteries have a life of around 10-15 yrs if run within strict load/maintenance requirements . Stuffed EV batteries would have a very short life as solar batteries I would think. Just wondering what the end of life plan is for them. We will have plenty if we go 'green' energy.
I know it is a new lease of life for mining companies like Rio Tinto. They are trying to predict which way the battery technology/chemistry will jump, so they can gear up for the mining demand. Long lead times.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 3:48pm
The Leaf is a poor design with an air cooled battery so has weak thermal management. Battery life suffers as a result. Nissan will sell you a new one for way more than the car is worth. Just browse trademe to see cars with only 60% state of charge left after just 40,000km Their value is equal only to what a battery costs. If you are green the waste of materials should put you right off.

Yes if you buy a Porsche taycan you’ll get amazing performance and build quality or a Tesla (great performance without the build quality) but these are premium vehicles are well outside consideration of the majority.

The issues with energy density, cost per kWh, environmental impact of making and disposing of batteries and reduction of useful life are considerable in a car and much much worse in a boat.

Maybe one day there will be a better solution but it is almost certain to not be Li ion tech which we have had since the 90s. Contrary to the hype there has been very little progress in battery technology in recent years.

We are left with needing a large, bulky, heavy and expensive battery to compete with ICE vehicles that take a long time to charge and degrade constantly from the day you get them.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
Re the leaf. The new Nissan Ariya EV released this year has new thermally controlled water cooled batteries. I think it is the first Nissan to have this feature..

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:30pm
So I am coming to the conclusion there is no long term system in place to deal with dead EV batteries. And the 'green' solution is to electrify our vehicle fleet. Apart from where the extra charging power may come from, we seem to be heading towards a large collection of dead batteries and defunct vehicles. So ,back to topic, I can't see E powered boats making much headway either - other than very niche applications -eg MinKota,
The energy equations are so unfavourable - as pointed out, plus all the other issues associated with electric vehicles. You might ask ... why?
A lot of the greenwashing is basically smoke and mirrors. Passing on other environmental issues to someone else's backyard. I am a fan of solar power (have a house totally off grid), but there are real environmental issues around a lot of the proposed solutions.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
Hi Alan,
Your right to be wary of electric tech.

I was a big fan.

But the cost of the batteries in making and disposing displaces there value if you give a long term **** about anything.

I don't have the answers but I do recognise the limitations in many areas of electric tech.

I'm still looking and waiting to see the hydrogen tech and its overall consequences.

I take the view now to look at the beginning of all vehicles, from the mining or development of raw materials for construction.
To their manufacturing footprint through to there real time use and final end date.

It's not simple, it's contrived unless you evaluate its core components through time.

Still looking.

Interesting stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
New E-Type Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3846KFDmFQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR36Ni2qP7GhE_GBqngQr1ug4xoF_FmMA7nPOd8oO3bbWZQ6VxYleTr0wDk" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3846KFDmFQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR36Ni2qP7GhE_GBqngQr1ug4xoF_FmMA7nPOd8oO3bbWZQ6VxYleTr0wDk

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:32pm
found this for sale on trademe. Lasting 30 years plus pretty good for marine outboard let alone electric 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-2701907247.htm" rel="nofollow - https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-2701907247.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm

found this for sale on trademe. Lasting 30 years plus pretty good for marine outboard let alone electric 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-2701907247.htm" rel="nofollow - https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-2701907247.htm

The boats even had safety rails around the stern!

And $6K nah over the top...Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:23pm
Looks like its been built in a defunct Russian Lada factory. 
I will stick with my Yammy for now I think.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
hahaha it does too ... Russians LEGO designer 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:23am

Notice they are using narrow , displacement hulls? Canal type boats? Not planing hulls.
It does appears some of the pics are photo shopped onto old advert pics.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:57pm
yes now you mention it Steps. Also the question is if these have been used with no issue for 30 years, what’s the latest technology in this fast moving industry. 30 years in almost black and white picture days in EV technology. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:51am
Yeah.. 30yrs ago they would be using a lead acid.. most likely still do... or can do.
As do our modern mini kotas .. the boat batterys... and konti tikis.

Which in someways illustrates the use of displacement hulls. Wink

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:23am
Electric Jetskis ...

https://plugboats.com/taiga-offers-2-new-electric-jetskis-starting-at-15000/?fbclid=IwAR0BPSCz2lsbLVM1UQVk6fm-2ScJ8kTf0OxNZCXYl1tqpifMNCoF51iqqPU" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/taiga-offers-2-new-electric-jetskis-starting-at-15000/?fbclid=IwAR0BPSCz2lsbLVM1UQVk6fm-2ScJ8kTf0OxNZCXYl1tqpifMNCoF51iqqPU

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:37am
now that would get rid of at least one of the annoying thing with Jetskis. The noise.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:54am

now that would get rid of at least one of the annoying thing with Jetskis. The noise.

100%

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:33pm
Electric hydrofoil test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa63izfR26s&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2BrXPUiwHfeaHiZvS-LNPMZSTrKv_ctXvDoHYmx_pBkFFGD-TcRNjDV04" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa63izfR26s&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2BrXPUiwHfeaHiZvS-LNPMZSTrKv_ctXvDoHYmx_pBkFFGD-TcRNjDV04

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:51am
Electric boat awards...

https://plugboats.com/winners-of-the-1st-gussies-electric-boat-awards/?fbclid=IwAR2cq4Psze-FqyOiowhS1OHBMr7wiU73ijV5lmKdzosY8V1eQhPk6_e9scs" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/winners-of-the-1st-gussies-electric-boat-awards/?fbclid=IwAR2cq4Psze-FqyOiowhS1OHBMr7wiU73ijV5lmKdzosY8V1eQhPk6_e9scs

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 7:15pm
Replacing Lithium with Sodium battery technology...

Good idea...

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-lithium-sodium-batteries.html?fbclid=IwAR0gsmfSfGVLr8iRnjk5fYTYisSDdKUBV5UpdrOXypvFYdLpZzOg_lO59zM" rel="nofollow - https://phys.org/news/2020-07-lithium-sodium-batteries.html?fbclid=IwAR0gsmfSfGVLr8iRnjk5fYTYisSDdKUBV5UpdrOXypvFYdLpZzOg_lO59zM

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:38pm
thanks Catchalot ..interesting stuff indeed. Battery development is the new frontier in research that will change our lives incredibly. 

Still can’t wait for a very fast, free to run light electric boat...can’t be far off... oh and affordableConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:06am

Replacing Lithium with Sodium battery technology...

Good idea...

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-lithium-sodium-batteries.html?fbclid=IwAR0gsmfSfGVLr8iRnjk5fYTYisSDdKUBV5UpdrOXypvFYdLpZzOg_lO59zM" rel="nofollow - https://phys.org/news/2020-07-lithium-sodium-batteries.html?fbclid=IwAR0gsmfSfGVLr8iRnjk5fYTYisSDdKUBV5UpdrOXypvFYdLpZzOg_lO59zM

This development will be good for getting the cost down but the batteries will weigh more than Li-ion (Na weighs 3x Li) and offer the same energy density limitations so not very good for a non displacement boat. Better for trucks and buses and perhaps cars.

As an aside also the talk about fast charging is a bit of dilemma as faster charging is associated with lower battery life.  That’s why your iPhone tries to work out what time you normally wake up and trickle charge as much as possible while you sleep.

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:06am
Lithium polymer batteries offer great weight to capacity, but they are inherently unstable (bursting in to flange)and deteriorate when left in a fully charged state for any length of time. Hence those tiny jump start packs never last..

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:55pm
3 new boats from Plug Boats...

https://plugboats.com/pure-watercraft-adds-3-new-electric-boat-packages/?fbclid=IwAR37rz6iqwu5EdOuaiBHi17NC8jG0PaASnY1Ovo5_s7bDvOrEWzMX_j52DY" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/pure-watercraft-adds-3-new-electric-boat-packages/?fbclid=IwAR37rz6iqwu5EdOuaiBHi17NC8jG0PaASnY1Ovo5_s7bDvOrEWzMX_j52DY

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:24pm
Sea Bubbles, flying taxis...

https://www.vaielettrico.it/seabubbles-verso-i-primi-50-taxi-volanti-sullacqua/?fbclid=IwAR2VllbeijForYIBI5RF6iEI85xyfXNgXxwaMvoi1gRp9pAg-CG-sPdPXkc" rel="nofollow - https://www.vaielettrico.it/seabubbles-verso-i-primi-50-taxi-volanti-sullacqua/?fbclid=IwAR2VllbeijForYIBI5RF6iEI85xyfXNgXxwaMvoi1gRp9pAg-CG-sPdPXkc

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:12am
Yamaha trials twin motor setup...

https://plugboats.com/yamaha-starts-trials-twin-electric-boat-motor-unit/?fbclid=IwAR3Lw4ZkdKY7X6K8CDKA8P9UI5hUfvJpB5z3UcgPsShz4KEL0-USf0pBgVw" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/yamaha-starts-trials-twin-electric-boat-motor-unit/?fbclid=IwAR3Lw4ZkdKY7X6K8CDKA8P9UI5hUfvJpB5z3UcgPsShz4KEL0-USf0pBgVw

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:26am
33' Power Cat...

https://plugboats.com/new-sleek-sustainable-33-electric-power-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR0-MH7ZMqqjcXK-KLvAQM4AIUjTKqGGc26_EcTwWKZlytwIpcT6v7EYPFs" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/new-sleek-sustainable-33-electric-power-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR0-MH7ZMqqjcXK-KLvAQM4AIUjTKqGGc26_EcTwWKZlytwIpcT6v7EYPFs

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Lithium polymer batteries offer great weight to capacity, but they are inherently unstable (bursting in to flange)and deteriorate when left in a fully charged state for any length of time. Hence those tiny jump start packs never last..

Just read your post,

For fun.... is it only women who burst into flange.
Are ordinary batteries insufficient for bedroom aids.
As most partners arrive early is this jump pack able to be worn without interference.
What group does the never last refer too.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm

33' Power Cat...

https://plugboats.com/new-sleek-sustainable-33-electric-power-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR0-MH7ZMqqjcXK-KLvAQM4AIUjTKqGGc26_EcTwWKZlytwIpcT6v7EYPFs" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/new-sleek-sustainable-33-electric-power-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR0-MH7ZMqqjcXK-KLvAQM4AIUjTKqGGc26_EcTwWKZlytwIpcT6v7EYPFs

Looks interesting as long as you are happy with displacement speeds and day boating only (range 100NM at 9kn)

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 11:53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0TNAeF9lw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2RCllvPbWAK2SdPqFuBZ1btPdawvBg_TNSGfQJe4CmSeBNXk2rCgq9C1A" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0TNAeF9lw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2RCllvPbWAK2SdPqFuBZ1btPdawvBg_TNSGfQJe4CmSeBNXk2rCgq9C1A

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 4:24pm
That Al,
Is the perfect use of electric power.
It has a high return for its result.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 11:42am
https://www.workboat.com/news/passenger-vessels/first-all-electric-ferry-in-u-s-reaches-milestone/?fbclid=IwAR1BP04dY_4xSNGnhZL5kWXvvVJ_NXIb25uqbx0ic_CVNmVY86jfZ5sNL_U" rel="nofollow - https://www.workboat.com/news/passenger-vessels/first-all-electric-ferry-in-u-s-reaches-milestone/?fbclid=IwAR1BP04dY_4xSNGnhZL5kWXvvVJ_NXIb25uqbx0ic_CVNmVY86jfZ5sNL_U

-------------

Posted By: Wanda_Ra
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:20pm
Im just waiting till the fusion engines get smaller. Latest is now 1m diameter. 

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:46pm
https://plugboats.com/new-high-performance-electric-runabout-30-knots/?fbclid=IwAR3xIoP1pheUj9rJhYKdXb6yndDMAK4vl7IdPNkfHOZL4S4G03XLV26Up_Q" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/new-high-performance-electric-runabout-30-knots/?fbclid=IwAR3xIoP1pheUj9rJhYKdXb6yndDMAK4vl7IdPNkfHOZL4S4G03XLV26Up_Q

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:48pm
suggested cruising speed 8 knots

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by whippersnappyr whippersnappyr wrote:

Yes, giving a range of 80-100 milesClap

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:03am

Originally posted by whippersnappyr whippersnappyr wrote:

Yes, giving a range of 80-100 milesClap

My point being you are cherry picking the info. They don’t say how long you can go 30 knots but I’d estimate 20 miles and you’d be dead in the water.  Conclusion. Electric boats are a niche product for hull speed use.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 5:36pm
Circumnavigated Bali, coolClap

https://www.azura-marine.com/post/aquanima-40-completes-circumnavigation-of-bali?fbclid=IwAR05KJj6tl1Eceqs1X76oHfQ-7NiuMi2G85TSYMOKJSo0cqfIPm5-XZrHa8" rel="nofollow - https://www.azura-marine.com/post/aquanima-40-completes-circumnavigation-of-bali?fbclid=IwAR05KJj6tl1Eceqs1X76oHfQ-7NiuMi2G85TSYMOKJSo0cqfIPm5-XZrHa8

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 5:58pm
Danish Ferry, 4.3MW Battery bank!Shocked

https://www.marinelog.com/coastal/ferries/danish-electric-ferry-reports-successful-first-year-in-service/?fbclid=IwAR0D5Q4da9biYwgfwBMvfJb4ogwNwTUOpfUTG5UmtAhZ1DBBlimkU-Xz1mE" rel="nofollow - https://www.marinelog.com/coastal/ferries/danish-electric-ferry-reports-successful-first-year-in-service/?fbclid=IwAR0D5Q4da9biYwgfwBMvfJb4ogwNwTUOpfUTG5UmtAhZ1DBBlimkU-Xz1mE

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:49pm
Nice...

https://floatmagazin.de/boote/alva-yachts-mit-schoenheit-die-welt-retten/?fbclid=IwAR1yGs73MC7GSwkMOL44mS3oftqcNZ6CYmtbArXEmiEvlClzubJ34mm44bk" rel="nofollow - https://floatmagazin.de/boote/alva-yachts-mit-schoenheit-die-welt-retten/?fbclid=IwAR1yGs73MC7GSwkMOL44mS3oftqcNZ6CYmtbArXEmiEvlClzubJ34mm44bk

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:27pm
Quadrofoil...Clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0xP-9d_us&t=110s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0xP-9d_us&t=110s

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:31pm
X Shore ... very innovative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYzIh7AlHI" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYzIh7AlHI

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:23pm
man trailer boating season future is going to be exciting. The lines on these rigs are beautiful

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:19pm
https://plugboats.com/worlds-most-powerful-electric-outboard-sets-challenge/?fbclid=IwAR2hgujtvtnBVGdtyhb73M5KvIEHZ_yfYwsSvdTjirluB8pVlDZ0mKjQ-9M%20" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/worlds-most-powerful-electric-outboard-sets-challenge/?fbclid=IwAR2hgujtvtnBVGdtyhb73M5KvIEHZ_yfYwsSvdTjirluB8pVlDZ0mKjQ-9M

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Luxury...

https://www.alva-yachts.com/en/ocean-eco-90-ex?fbclid=IwAR1Wo-lfywCHY8RUlXQdxMPtGq3Yyfb0ZiW5NwiWMdiO0d2rysuPgZxcHl4%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.alva-yachts.com/en/ocean-eco-90-ex?fbclid=IwAR1Wo-lfywCHY8RUlXQdxMPtGq3Yyfb0ZiW5NwiWMdiO0d2rysuPgZxcHl4

-------------

Posted By: Structfab
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:54pm
stumbled across these lithium batteries today......targeted at electric trolling motors. Not so much primary engine as per original post, but thought interesting concerning powering MiniKota / Motorguide aux elec trolling motors:
https://www.monstermarinelithium.com/?fbclid=IwAR1nyRdlz8gBWWQBEVDEPzQl2UdD_Fd3nNQMpOILqq0RV2V7mBkZov7TZTk" rel="nofollow - https://www.monstermarinelithium.com/?fbclid=IwAR1nyRdlz8gBWWQBEVDEPzQl2UdD_Fd3nNQMpOILqq0RV2V7mBkZov7TZTk

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:02am
https://plugboats.com/bangkok-becoming-electric-ferry-capital-of-the-world/%20" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/bangkok-becoming-electric-ferry-capital-of-the-world/

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm
I love these foiling electric runabouts.

20knots, 57 NM on one battery charge...Clap

https://floatmagazin.de/leute/ted-talks-kurator-chris-anderson-investiert-in-candela/?fbclid=IwAR3oAZiz_o4b57f_XBQuz1kYDfxQczH54B-hhOEWo5bQguon7H1_wbu4nGM" rel="nofollow - https://floatmagazin.de/leute/ted-talks-kurator-chris-anderson-investiert-in-candela/?fbclid=IwAR3oAZiz_o4b57f_XBQuz1kYDfxQczH54B-hhOEWo5bQguoN7H1_wbu4nGM

-------------

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

stumbled across these lithium batteries today......targeted at electric trolling motors. Not so much primary engine as per original post, but thought interesting concerning powering MiniKota / Motorguide aux elec trolling motors:
https://www.monstermarinelithium.com/?fbclid=IwAR1nyRdlz8gBWWQBEVDEPzQl2UdD_Fd3nNQMpOILqq0RV2V7mBkZov7TZTk" rel="nofollow - https://www.monstermarinelithium.com/?fbclid=IwAR1nyRdlz8gBWWQBEVDEPzQl2UdD_Fd3nNQMpOILqq0RV2V7mBkZov7TZTk

i see that L&B are now selling and marketing these similar LiFePo4 batts as being ideal for trolling motors like the popular Minn Kota's

http://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/blog/123-smallest-lightest-most-powerful-infinitipower-batteries-purpose-built-for-electric-motors" rel="nofollow - http://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/blog/123-smallest-lightest-most-powerful-infinitipower-batteries-purpose-built-for-electric-motors

unfortunately Mina Kota caution users against using lithium-type batts with their product

-------------
No disintegrations!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:02am
First tall ship with electric motor...

https://plugboats.com/historic-zebu-world-1st-tall-ship-with-electric-motor/?fbclid=IwAR0DzBz0O2nepkOuiI4ea7KeFlcd3eEke-Nv34u7RDjcKqK0riRrGyEFxFE" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/historic-zebu-world-1st-tall-ship-with-electric-motor/?fbclid=IwAR0DzBz0O2nepkOuiI4ea7KeFlcd3eEke-Nv34u7RDjcKqK0riRrGyEFxFE

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:01am
Electric Powerboats, cool design...

https://insideevs.com/news/446160/electric-powerboat-series-e1-announced/?fbclid=IwAR0KAw0Na6_9u4lqSLwRWLuIh-RffVBnLzc2LFV5jvWKu7b0_Ky4deUtkKo%20" rel="nofollow - https://insideevs.com/news/446160/electric-powerboat-series-e1-announced/?fbclid=IwAR0KAw0Na6_9u4lqSLwRWLuIh-RffVBnLzc2LFV5jvWKu7b0_Ky4deUtkKo

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:52pm
Cool ski boat...

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/sponsored/all-electric-super-air-nautique-gs22e/?fbclid=IwAR21T8z5qafZrxADMldPxBCc_tBinosvgd0pDKWvYV3KF2Zdlm7LKjuXbtg%20" rel="nofollow - https://blog.dupontregistry.com/sponsored/all-electric-super-air-nautique-gs22e/?fbclid=IwAR21T8z5qafZrxADMldPxBCc_tBinosvgd0pDKWvYV3KF2Zdlm7LKjuXbtg

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:19pm
Flying surfboard... I likeThumbs Up

https://nz.fliteboard.com/

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:48pm
Lots of interest in Europe.

https://www.vaielettrico.it/la-nautica-elettrica-nelle-citta/?fbclid=IwAR0x_CzlYim7biIY-5Rh1bwPSt5mS5utSh9D2tK27ucr9yy_lkO3qqPBJS0%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.vaielettrico.it/la-nautica-elettrica-nelle-citta/?fbclid=IwAR0x_CzlYim7biIY-5Rh1bwPSt5mS5utSh9D2tK27ucr9yy_lkO3qqPBJS0

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:02pm
Scotland to trial world's first hydrogenferry...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18789377.scotland-trial-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-ferry-european-marine-energy-centre-orkney/?fbclid=IwAR17Lu4GvmBDIUPbUjwBrCvOPP1MkIs1WGBEYmjWNahXObiROIRWltHd85A" rel="nofollow - https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18789377.scotland-trial-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-ferry-european-marine-energy-centre-orkney/?fbclid=IwAR17Lu4GvmBDIUPbUjwBrCvOPP1MkIs1WGBEYmjWNahXObiROIRWltHd85A

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Yes an infomercial but a cool wee outboard, I could see this in use in NZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqCcZhOM3k%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqCcZhOM3k

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
20,000 hrs no maintenance. Good run time.. Im not big on EVs but for a small outboard batteries really make a lot of sense.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:02pm
momentum seems to be picking up with electric boats. Love it!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Autonomous ferries...

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/norway-self-driving-ferries-zeabuz-spc-intl/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2lNgrOBQGCRcNakwZ8Rl2uxtD7Tgrb7w4_wkMYVLyupSh36UnzkuipuL0" rel="nofollow - https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/norway-self-driving-ferries-zeabuz-spc-intl/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2lNgrOBQGCRcNakwZ8Rl2uxtD7Tgrb7w4_wkMYVLyupSh36UnzkuipuL0

-------------

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
my feelings is that electric boat propulsion currently makes most sense for dinghies - essentially on a small scale and for short run times. 

if i had a need for dinghy - less than a tender to a yacht - just to do the ship-shore-ship trip i think a battery elec outboard would be high on the list

i like the 'minimalism' of this;

http://www.electricpaddle.com/ep-carry-dinghy-electric-outboard-motor.phtml" rel="nofollow - http://www.electricpaddle.com/ep-carry-dinghy-electric-outboard-motor.phtml

-------------
No disintegrations!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

my feelings is that electric boat propulsion currently makes most sense for dinghies - essentially on a small scale and for short run times. 

if i had a need for dinghy - less than a tender to a yacht - just to do the ship-shore-ship trip i think a battery elec outboard would be high on the list

i like the 'minimalism' of this;

http://www.electricpaddle.com/ep-carry-dinghy-electric-outboard-motor.phtml" rel="nofollow - http://www.electricpaddle.com/ep-carry-dinghy-electric-outboard-motor.phtml

Interesting prop, must be more efficient being long, presume slow prop rpms also...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:23pm
I wonder if Auck/Waiheke run would be worthy of electrics like below? ...

https://www.vaielettrico.it/energy-absolute-dalle-auto-ai-traghetti-elettrici-ne-piazza-27-a-bangkok/?fbclid=IwAR32GDEgLKaUCWIAjF3XSWmPqb1TSgiVd7obJcyrteZfXSmJjJYaidpd8IU%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.vaielettrico.it/energy-absolute-dalle-auto-ai-traghetti-elettrici-ne-piazza-27-a-bangkok/?fbclid=IwAR32GDEgLKaUCWIAjF3XSWmPqb1TSgiVd7obJcyrteZfXSmJjJYaidpd8IU

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:56pm
Car ferries for Sweden. self; berthing and releases of its moorings, charges during the offload of cars in about 4 mins... clever technology taking off in Europe.

https://www.sjofartstidningen.se/farjerederiet-upphandlar-fyra-nya-vagfarjor/?fbclid=IwAR2q-qbOzK1g2gvouSmxFWf7_eGTJjVbdW0peM85g_b1yAqz00Y5rgwga6g" rel="nofollow - https://www.sjofartstidningen.se/farjerederiet-upphandlar-fyra-nya-vagfarjor/?fbclid=IwAR2q-qbOzK1g2gvouSmxFWf7_eGTJjVbdW0peM85g_b1yAqz00Y5rgwga6g

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:24am
Tesla outboard, 52 knots!

https://www.vaielettrico.it/test-tesla-in-acqua-motore-della-model-s-come-fuoribordo/?fbclid=IwAR36qdubfTGzrDjZ-N0TFqY6kp6kTgJbQ-PWbFnxYBT-y1Q-V9OWHk6hv_g%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.vaielettrico.it/test-tesla-in-acqua-motore-della-model-s-come-fuoribordo/?fbclid=IwAR36qdubfTGzrDjZ-N0TFqY6kp6kTgJbQ-PWbFnxYBT-y1Q-V9OWHk6hv_g

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:54pm
295 and 590 HP models!Clap

https://www.electricsuperyachttenders.com/?fbclid=IwAR2dHn95VMTIlCEa_HcKXhi3K_OX8bjsnzr07wfDNDj4uRhSbbzb63qEPzo

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 3:44am
why do they have to make the boat a spaceship design. Get these awesome engines into conventional tried and tested boats people want and the uptake will start. 

-------------

Posted By: e.m.p!
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:35am

why do they have to make the boat a spaceship design. Get these awesome engines into conventional tried and tested boats people want and the uptake will start. 

Horses for courses (literally). After x amount of years being confined to the restrictions and dimensions of combustion engines, designers finally can embrace new tech and possibilities and can concentrate on details for making their products fit the purpose.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:35pm
Volkswagon looking into Silent Yacht design...

https://plugboats.com/new-volkswagen-silent-yachts-solar-electric-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR1twqzFqg08hfCoKv7-Away1KJN2OioiZqkWRxG5tmeONgAD-45GIGEz5M%20" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/new-volkswagen-silent-yachts-solar-electric-catamaran/?fbclid=IwAR1twqzFqg08hfCoKv7-Away1KJN2OioiZqkWRxG5tmeONgAD-45GIGEz5M

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:32pm
Jet Electric boat, loving the developments...Clap

https://plugboats.com/new-crowdfunding-deepspeed-electric-hydrojet-motor/?fbclid=IwAR1B0z5_6Z8UGh95UetGerTBL4m8U1AfAHelhFWjChl-IEBshAFVCmaGDR0

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:30pm
Denmark - Norway to build hydrogen ferry...

https://electrek.co/2020/12/08/denmark-norway-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-ferry/?fbclid=IwAR26zHSAMpGSOn-eR7cTh1OhTPuJnniSQnL_izezmTDx1TfUSB4q3_z-jpM" rel="nofollow - https://electrek.co/2020/12/08/denmark-norway-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-ferry/?fbclid=IwAR26zHSAMpGSOn-eR7cTh1OhTPuJnniSQnL_izezmTDx1TfUSB4q3_z-jpM

-------------

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:58pm

Denmark - Norway to build hydrogen ferry...

https://electrek.co/2020/12/08/denmark-norway-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-ferry/?fbclid=IwAR26zHSAMpGSOn-eR7cTh1OhTPuJnniSQnL_izezmTDx1TfUSB4q3_z-jpM" rel="nofollow - https://electrek.co/2020/12/08/denmark-norway-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-ferry/?fbclid=IwAR26zHSAMpGSOn-eR7cTh1OhTPuJnniSQnL_izezmTDx1TfUSB4q3_z-jpM

Yup.
Hydrogen the way to go.
One battery instead of a whole bank.
Smaller footprint during production and recycling.
Far better for the environment and the slaves used to mine rare earth metals for the batteries in third world countries. Thumbs Up

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 12:10pm
Worlds first electric tugboat - Instabul

https://plugboats.com/worlds-1st-all-electric-tugboat-now-work-istanbul/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0hrQ408lDJlhuQBk1RfNlsbkjL8qzfoPEYM8ZN84oadbgHXvEJEQvlE3g%20" rel="nofollow - https://plugboats.com/worlds-1st-all-electric-tugboat-now-work-istanbul/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0hrQ408lDJlhuQBk1RfNlsbkjL8qzfoPEYM8ZN84oadbgHXvEJEQvlE3g

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:30am
I shudder to think what this thing cost with those batteries. Also did you notice the article saying Ports of Auckland are expecting delivery of a bigger one in 2021?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Pod shaped water jets...

https://www.mby.com/gear/water-jet-electric-boats-sealence-deepspeed-112477?fbclid=IwAR39hoJE3zXhxyd-s0GhOkgnASmO9l1am3pHNjLs4qfWjWd5HvDZuIflecM%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.mby.com/gear/water-jet-electric-boats-sealence-deepspeed-112477?fbclid=IwAR39hoJE3zXhxyd-s0GhOkgnASmO9l1am3pHNjLs4qfWjWd5HvDZuIflecM

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:52pm
Very flash... oh and only $290K US!

https://www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/2021-super-air-nautique-gs22-e/?fbclid=IwAR1K2lKixRyT67kLDqHd_VqLJMXcDlLicZo9ggPdG3Cp2e0uMQ-Ca92LTY0%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/2021-super-air-nautique-gs22-e/?fbclid=IwAR1K2lKixRyT67kLDqHd_VqLJMXcDlLicZo9ggPdG3Cp2e0uMQ-Ca92LTY0

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm
Hmm.
There is a big push for EV cars in NZ. There is an EV Association - forget their name. They have an aim of something like 20,000+ more EVs on the road in next 2-3 yrs. All good so far. (of course they want to sell plenty) Then the Q of how we charge them all (Rio tinto is back on). I asked them last yr what the plan was for all the dead batteries (not an easy solution as far as I know). No answer. Hmm. So I asked Julianne Denter - who was also prooting the idea - green answer to FF. What I got was basically, we will sort it later. Can you see the problem? You would think if this was a policy to solve an environmental problem, the pending environmental issues of the solution would already be addressed? 
Then there is the mining footprint (and CO2) for the rare earths used in a lot of the battery technology. Tonnes of earth mined for gms of earth.
My money is still on hydrogen - I posted on this a yr or so ago.
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Print Page | Close Window