Print Page | Close Window

Fyran 440 40hp Etec 2006 info

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133787
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:09am

Topic: Fyran 440 40hp Etec 2006 info
Posted By: rusty360
Subject: Fyran 440 40hp Etec 2006 info
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:10pm
Hi all, been offered the above by a family contact at a very reasonable price looking at trademe etc.

What do I need to watch out for with the 440 hulls other than the normal electrolysis etc.

And the etec far from my favourite outboard but has only done 170hours and has been serviced etc and is running well. How bad are they?

The rig is all in good condition and would be a great start to see if my young guy is keen on boating etc.

Any info would be great!

Cheers rusty

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:19am
I have a 2006 Fyran 440 with 40hp Mercury (Tohatsu) - boat has been fine but look carefully around transom as if hammered will crack here.  When I looked before buying used some were getting tired if left uncovered, check hull for holes/damage and Trailer if original will be getting rusty - my trailer was a Dunbier brand supplied originally with my boat - looked ok when got home I  jacked up to removewheels to check and grease studs and cross beam above axle cracked was full of rust looked ok!   Ended up though it had a current WOF replacing cross member, springs and wheels and had to replace LED lights.
Dont know ETEC but plenty of haters around - get it serviced regularly by a good dealer and get their advice - they dont like water in fuel!  If major repairs come up take a good hard look before doing and consider a repower - they can be money pits when older but any motor can be.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:48am
Treat the etec right, like anything and it will serve you well for at least 1200

Posted By: johnybegood
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:15am
Biggest thing from my fyran (and others from what i've seen) is check out the floor. If its ply it'll probably be nearing the end of its life and need replacing. Also check under the floor as some of the stringers can crack, we found some areas of damage that needed welding

-------------
I just want to jig

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

I have a 2006 Fyran 440 with 40hp Mercury (Tohatsu) - boat has been fine but look carefully around transom as if hammered will crack here.  When I looked before buying used some were getting tired if left uncovered, check hull for holes/damage and Trailer if original will be getting rusty - my trailer was a Dunbier brand supplied originally with my boat - looked ok when got home I  jacked up to removewheels to check and grease studs and cross beam above axle cracked was full of rust looked ok!   Ended up though it had a current WOF replacing cross member, springs and wheels and had to replace LED lights.
Dont know ETEC but plenty of haters around - get it serviced regularly by a good dealer and get their advice - they dont like water in fuel!  If major repairs come up take a good hard look before doing and consider a repower - they can be money pits when older but any motor can be.

Cheers for the info, I seem to remember you being a mac boat owner before? Which one do you prefer? Will check out the transom and get under the floor boards for a looky.

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm
yeah underfloor cleanliness is important - otherwise dirt, water and muck can damage the alloy ali

another area not mentioned already - the seat bases/brackets can crack where they rivet to the hull side 

-------------
No disintegrations!

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

yeah underfloor cleanliness is important - otherwise dirt, water and muck can damage the alloy ali

another area not mentioned already - the seat bases/brackets can crack where they rivet to the hull side 
Yes that happened to mine replace seat base with thicker aluminum - to thin from new

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by rusty360 rusty360 wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Cheers for the info, I seem to remember you being a mac boat owner before? Which one do you prefer? Will check out the transom and get under the floor boards for a looky.
Yes correct for going over Manukau Bar Mac 420 (in fact I wont go near Bar in 440!) for harbour fishing and boating Fyran 440 ahead of Mac 420 and 360 I had as well.   Handy being light and zippy in harbour.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:17pm
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll get the motor checked out and have a look under the floor boards, transom area for any cracks etc.

Cheers rusty

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:14pm
Hiya Rusty, how's things? E-Tecs don't have a good reputation but my 90hp has 1000 hours on it and goes well. Two points, it was mentioned they do'nt tolerate water in the fuel  as it kills the injectors, that is true. If it has a 10micron water separating filter that's a good thing. They also don't like flat batteries. Keep those to things in order and E-Tecs go well. I have no experience with the 40hp though

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Hiya Rusty, how's things? E-Tecs don't have a good reputation but my 90hp has 1000 hours on it and goes well. Two points, it was mentioned they do'nt tolerate water in the fuel  as it kills the injectors, that is true. If it has a 10micron water separating filter that's a good thing. They also don't like flat batteries. Keep those to things in order and E-Tecs go well. I have no experience with the 40hp though

Hi smudge I'm well thanks. 1000 hours that's a awesome effort!. Yeah I spoke to a outboard mechanic in pukekohe yesterday he said the exact same things!. I'll check out the filter setup.
Cheers!

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 7:33pm
The outboard tech will do a prepurchase check for $90 get comps, computer for codes etc
Seems a no brainer.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:23am
Other thing to watch, besides poor condition or undersized battier\is,  thu is also with most makes... spark plugs and gap. That gap left to get bit wide loads up other electrical components to run hot..

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:51pm
      So the seller was a good bugger and let us lift the floor boards to see underneath, sadly it was pretty dirty and there is some bad corrosion issues so going to give it a miss, cheers for all the info thou!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:52pm
If you find a nice/clean one Rusty then fine.

They are a basic pressed hull and light grade Al tinny and then riveted...

They are a great harbour and sheltered waters boat or beginners...

Don't handle great, broach and slide in a following sea and are wet as in a chop.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Print Page | Close Window