Print Page | Close Window

Gurnard thread

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Captain Morgan Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133735
Printed Date: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:45am

Topic: Gurnard thread
Posted By: sappercatcha
Subject: Gurnard thread
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:04pm
Getting to that time of year where the West coat harbour,s and some of the sandy east coast spots are fill of these tasty critters

This thread is for all things gurnard photos
Tips Techniques etcetc advice for useless gurnard fishermen like myself haha

Personally im reasonablealy Useless at gurnard fishing fishing 80% Of the time on the Kaipara harbour I do catch a fair few as bicatch when targeting late Autumn snapper as far as actually targeting them goes im never that Successful I always get a couple but never any numbers Not like some of my mates who can pull a good feed most times out

Personally I use dropper rigs mostly When fishing For gurnard if im running 2 rods I’ll strayline one heavy enough to keep on bottom

Another rig I found has got a few is a dropper rig or flasher with a big ish ball sinker running on the mainline above it and a small 1/2oz or so on the bottom sometimes I’ll run a extra hook off a short length of line below the little sinker Especially in high current

Generally i pick spots with little current Holes or gutters

How are people going about targeting gurnard

Fell free to post your bragging Material photos etc as well

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow"> keep up the good work boys

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:02am
Hi there Darryn, I'll try and add some stuff this week

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:32pm

OK, here's a few tips. First thing is with the gurnard flasher rig, my favourite is a Black Magic Terakihi Terror. If you fish it as a dropper rig, shorten the sinker dropper so that the bottom hook is at the same height as the sinker. Use small baits. They can be fussy. My favourite baits are skipjack, frozen old kahawai and mullet. Those baits work very well in the Manukau harbour but squid isn't terribly good. Except sometimes! Last time out we only caught them on squid, Weird! Of the west coast squid seems to work as well as any bait. I dunno, bottom line is take a variety of baits.

When harbour fishing an alternative way to use a flasher rig is to use a good heavy sinker on the mainline and instead of putting a sinker on the end as Sappercatcher does, try putting another hook in its place. There are times that will be the killer combo.

I always put down a straylined bait too when i'm fishing shallow water. Cast that one out the back and drop the flasher rig straight down.

I use 4/0 recurves such as Mustad Demons which are probably the best on the market for gurnard. They set real easy but you need to make sure the bait isn't choking the gape of the hook.  Don't strike the bites, count the nods on the rod tip and after 3 or 4 nods , lift the rod and steadily wind the reel. The reason I rate those hooks so highly is they set very easily into a gurnard's bony mouth, which is important if you are using light gear. IMO light gear will really increase your catch rate. I'm going to try 4lb mono on them this weekend at our gunard comp.

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 11:18pm
The bloke at H/F in puke sold me some flasher rigs 4/0 gurnard grabber?? and rig with sinker on mainline so hook lays on bottom and suggested bonito as bait.He suggested where to fish in shallows on bank edges ,maybe 3 to 4 m of water.Does that sound about right "smudge"?

-------------
She said you're deaf.No I have selective hearing.And thats when it started.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:53am
Yep sounds perfect, I'd be happy to use the gurnard grabber and those are the locations I would choose.As an option I'd be prepared to wish the banks where they just start to level off into the channel too.

-------------

Posted By: feeder
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 8:05am
Off the west coast I use dropper rigs I tie up with 80lb trace and 8/0 recurve hooks I get from Hooker Tackle in Kerikeri, these have red and pink flasher on them and have a very sharp point on them, no problems with them penetrating the bony jaw, we catch plenty, best day of late was 54 between 3 of us, almost a finfish limit.

Cheers

-------------
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 6:13pm
We get plenty on 8/0 hooks and 60 or 80lb trace out the west coast too.. Thats the gear we use for snapper and works well. We use light gear in the harbour because of the current.

-------------

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 6:53pm
That really is a super model of a Gurard you are posing with smudge. Nice pic.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

That really is a super model of a Gurard you are posing with smudge. Nice pic.

Thanks Schampy. We only caught 5 gurnard that day about 4 weeks ago in the Manukau Harbour, in 3m deep water. While it isn't my biggest it was certainly a very good fish. Four of the five we caught were within cooee of that one too Cool

-------------

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 11:18am
Tied all my gurnard traces couple days ago.. not sure if going to use this weekend thu.
 I was going to go the full hog beads etc from old threads , info on web site here..
Time was bit short so went like this
 Old reel on 20 lb mono..
4/0 gamaksu off set recurves
 Different colour flasher and $2 shop feathers.
 Making flashers
Bit of braid left over on a reel.
 Cut the flasher /feather bunches little longer then the length of the hooks
Put a clinch loop on the end of the braid with a long tail.
Hold the flasher bunch on the back of the hook, slip the clinch loop over the hook and flashers , pull up tight.
 Take the tag end, fold 3/4 down the hook/flasher, and back up.
 Wind the main brain line tight about 8 to 12 times down the flasher hook.. cut from reel with generous tag.
 Put the tag thru the loop formed by the original clinch tag end.
Pull the top of the original tag end up till at the bottom of the tight turns... pull the turn tag thru tightish. the pull the loop and everything up under the loops  as in a whipping. Trim the flasher feathers so dont go far past the bottom of the hook, I like more ragged  rather than tidy looking flashers.. top and bottom.

I use different combos of colours on each hook of a trace.. theory is hedge the bets which is best on the day.

The Trace
 Going to sorta make ledger/ dropper style trace.
The 20 lb old mono.. or what ever laying around that can feed a loop thru the hook eyes....
 Slide a small ball sinker up the line followed by about 1" of lumo tube.
Tie a hook on the end of the mono with a small lefty loop (like a Soft bait)
Then about 10" up the trace mainline, about a 3 to 4" loop with a 3 or 4 times thru surgeons loop.
Slide about 1" to 1 1/2" lumo tube on the loop, then the hook, with the loop going thru the wrong way to what it looks like it should .
 Repeat another 1`or 2 hooks further up.. for me length/  number hooks depends on length of the rod... the trace is tight between the reel and rod tip when the rod is stored in the holder.
 Top of the trace is a small as possible  3 or 4 times thu surgeons knot loop.

Mainline:
 I use braid,  30lb 8x coloured J braid on everything, Sb , straylines to off west coast snapper fishing. All my mainlines are setup up like this
End of the main line is a 30 turn bimmini twist 4" loop
I cats paw a swivel/ clip 4 times round into the loop.
The clip has to be big enough to quickly change reef sinkers from 1 oz thru to 6oz, and a slight bend, a 8 oz.
 The main sinkers on this clip,  just light enough and no more to drop and hold the trace between directly below the boat to some point out the back in the current, on the bottom.

A fish takes down a hook, unclip, new pre tied trace... current changes , quick un clip replace. Old man used to say , when your line is out of the water , you dont catch fish.. maximise and prioritise that time.

Anyway thats how I set up my gurnard rigs...basically a dropper, with main sinker at the top and a very small sinker at the bottom above a hook.

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
A deep water gurnard

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

A deep water gurnard

Any good to eat Roy?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
Never caught one but they grow quite big and are a spectacular fish

-------------

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
Hmm - I caught one a yr or so ago - deep. Spotted gurnard.
Like eating a piece of rubber. Mine was anyway.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm
I made the mistake of taking one of those spotted gurnard home---once!
Was not pleasant to eat, even the cat turned his nose up at it.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

HaHa I am not alone,she brought some from PnS (japanese gurnard they said) yep cat looked as if to say wtf and straight in the bin.

-------------
She said you're deaf.No I have selective hearing.And thats when it started.

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:47pm
No comparison, caught a few spotted gurnard this year while puka fishing back of knights,where they are a common by catch. Poor eating compared to red gurnard .. which is one of my most favourite fish, right up there with John Dory. 
Best puka by catch in deep are the big tarakihi. Although I know a guy who rates sea perch and takes em all.
Red gurnard are awesome to eat if filleted skin on, hard to find anything better, even puka and fresh MahiMahi, also excellent. I would say both come slightlly second to red gurnard. But only my opinion. Plus I can slay gurnard while struggle to get as many dory, puka and Mahi. Talking pan fried fish here, not sashimi or smoked.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm
someone is bound to come in here and say blue cod is best. To which I would say they make good livies for both JDs and puka. But also very good in in batter.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

someone is bound to come in here and say blue cod is best. To which I would say they make good livies for both JDs and puka. But also very good in in batter.

Haha and yep Shane, Sea Perch, or Jock Stewarts, Jimmy Canyons, make great puka livies.Clap

...and we see the Eyebrow and Orange Perch in same depths off the Brett/BOI 120-200+m also

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:09pm
Good to know Al. Those little perch are often caught before a decent puka, which was the case on one trip this year. 
Captain Simon of the good ship Sambosi diligently fillets all the little perch that come up and squirrels them away in a special tupuware box in chilly  bin.  Must try some one day.
Are they any good to eat?
Anyway didn’t mean to distract thread with other species. No secret I love gurnard and like eating and catching them. We have great fishery  for them off the bays now days since seiners stopped operating in close inside noises years ago, although seasonal.. basically winter only fishery.
Less current than west coast harbours so can use a more subtle approach. Lighter sinkers, etc.
I did lot of fishing years ago for gurnard with some of real old time characters off Hudson’s beach... learnt a lot which held me in good stead last few years when have done well on them locally east side from kayak. But techniques are very similar to what we used on manukau.
We used to also do well surfcasting  for them off Graham’s (mako pt end) and Orua bay, late evening and night. Ledger rig and fresh mullet. Also worked in holes at low tide on coast down South Head light house and even at Hamilton’s gap when calm. Although lot of those Hiwi hiwi on coast, which can be a plague.

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:10pm
To those who target Red Gurnard. What would you rate as the best baits.

Posted By: Transformations
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:51pm
Cirrus, I have good results with salted kahawai but have recently been getting my biggest gurnard on straylined fresh kahawai, way way back in the burley trail...quite big baits too

-------------
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:00pm
Beautiful gurnard you have there. In past i have used skipjack or kahawai . But havent done any good for gurnard lately in my usual spots.
Last one i caught was late Feb in H.G . Went 42 cm , and caught  on a square bit of kahawai skin with scales on.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
Strips of kahawai work really well but unlike Transformations I like it to be frozen and mushy. Which just goes to prove that you need to keep an open mind on what works because as you can see Transformations knows how to catch the big ones! Mullet is a great bait too as is skipjack tune (bonito). A big gurnard will certainly take a biggish bait, especially if it is straylined but I like to keep those baits long and thin.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 6:50am
Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Same.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 6:56am
Once we came across a big work-up off Raglan and got our limits in no time.
We stopped fishing (was a flat-calm, mid September day at 75M) and started slabbing/gutting our catch and only 2 could work at a time so during my spell off-duty I decided to drop a jig, 150 mm blade, and immediately started catching big gurnard. We'd only caught snapper up to that point. Surprised at catching gurnard on a jig.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Once we came across a big work-up off Raglan and got our limits in no time.
We stopped fishing (was a flat-calm, mid September day at 75M) and started slabbing/gutting our catch and only 2 could work at a time so during my spell off-duty I decided to drop a jig, 150 mm blade, and immediately started catching big gurnard. We'd only caught snapper up to that point. Surprised at catching gurnard on a jig.

Red gurnard are a coomon catch for us on small jigs from shllow water right through to 60m

-------------

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:46am
They also take slow moving softbaits, Smudge. I've got a few as very welcome bycatches when targeting snapper.I rate carrots very highly for eating - pan fried in butter with skin on. Eyes closed, I couldn't pick the difference between john dory and gurnard.

I suspect Tamaki Strait may hold decent numbers of gurnard in the winter in the same way the 10-15m flats off East Coast Bays do - as Shane and the kayak guys up that way have got on to. Similar habitat and bottom with crabs, crustaceans etc.

My best ever - just over 50cm - was caught off the shore along Wellington's south coast on a half pilchard which was intended for a kahawai. They get some big ones down that way. If you look at the DB length comp hall of fame, they're 54/55cm and all from Wellington/Marlborough area.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
One prime-time spring snapper trip out of Kawhia, using my favourite bait of steamed mussels, it started with a roar of a 16 lb snap. That was my only snapper of the day but started catching some mega gurnard - most in the 30 - 350mm length. All on 8/0 dropper rig. No complaints at all.
Never had such a stream of gurnard like that ever since but we were in shallower water than usual.
Gurnard are certainly good eating and I like to skin them and cook the skin separately Lovely crisp, tasty gurnard skin - a real delicacy!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

They also take slow moving softbaits, Smudge. I've got a few as very welcome bycatches when targeting snapper.

Yes, a slow fished softbait especially a curly tail in a pumpkin seed type colour work well but haven't fished softies for gurnard in years.

-------------

Posted By: feeder
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:43am
Fresh kahawai is good bait, not uncommon to catch 3 or 4 carrots on the same bait, another interesting thing, most of the single carrots are caught on the top hook of our ledger rigs, usually in 40/50m.

Cheers

-------------
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 10:47pm
Shot out on the Kaipara this morning with my brother and 6yo Nephew
I’ve recently upgraded my sounder/chart plotter
And all my marks are saved in my phone
Geuss what I forgot my phone lol
(Yes my brother had his as a back up Communication device) if the vhf failed

Essentially we were flying blind to alot of my Usual spots as they are in the shellows and not marked on the charts so I picked a gut I remember doing well in with a mate a few years back Anchored on the edge of the gut in 3m (its 5m at deepest point and drops out of 1.5m
And deployed the Burly

We had 3 rigs set up my Nephew had a black magic tarakihi terminator (smuge’s suggestion)

And two Variations of the sinker above a droper rig method

I had a fixed sinker about 10cm above the trace
And my brother had a running sinker above his
My brother and myself were using light gear
He had is 6kg soft baiting set up
I had my trout jigging combo a 2-4kg set up with 3 kg braid and
And our rigs were tide with 4/0 mustard demons on 25lb Fluorocarbon really thin stuff

The Nephew Obviously being 6 was useing heavyer gear and the flasher tied with 40-60lb??

Anyway how did it go
Well the lighter more Sensitive gear was definitely an advantage
The flasher rig only managed one gernard all be it the biggest of the day a really nice fish... Plenty of ky to keep him busy though

Next best was my fixed sinker rig I got 2 good eaters I got alot less ky also which is always good

My brothers running sinker was the highlight grabbing 5 gernard

Best bait was ky with skin taken off just slivers of meat it’s actually Surprisingly tough

Filleted 2 before we remembered photo do only 6 and fillets showen lol
Also took 6 ky to smoke and top up bait supply

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 11:24pm
Well done Darryn!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:53am
Nice catch👍...I also find that a single or 2 hook sliding rig has the best results 😉

-------------

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:24pm
Great report, sounds like a good day out with the young fellow. Tasty dinner, for sure.

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:00pm
Nice report sapper.  
Iv never really had alot of luck with the ol Gurnard over the years. Got a few once close in of Pakiri beach when returning from a slow day out at LB. Makes me wounder weather its worth setting up and heading over there again just for a change of scenery.
Has anybody else had much success in that area?

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:15pm

Great report, sounds like a good day out with the young fellow. Tasty dinner, for sure.

Yeah he lives for fishing just like his dad and myself and both his grandfathers lol
He gets a little bored if fishing is slow as we all do but he keeps himself Entertained.. yesterday he was busy catching ky sometimes 2 at a time hahaha

He’s lucky to have keen fishermen on both sides Of the family
Who have boats So he gets no shortage of fishing

-------------

Posted By: Mad Spearo
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:06pm
South of Ponui, last 2 hours of outgoing this morning. Berley. Anchovies, pilchard and old ky baits.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm

Posted By: Mad Spearo
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:36pm
Where abouts?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
About a dozen gurnard today, we mostly snapper fished but once we moved to a gurnard spot we got into them. Should have moved earlier. Snapper is 35cm

-------------

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 8:41pm
looks like there's plenty carrots coming in. They look in good nick too. Smudge any comp winners in your lot?

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Posted By: Perchase
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 3:20pm
Gurnard are a bit of a mainstay down in Nelson inshore waters over winter, I tend to only get out for the odd half day mid week and have been doing ok on the drift, wth a ledger rig , home tied with orange flash and 3/0 red black magic recurves, in the rodholder, alongside one of kavemans orange curly tail kaburas , which seems to get the horses, while I softbait actually casting ahead with new penny grubs. It keeps me busy and they all do ok, in shallow the softbait seems to clean up. It's a fine pastime, maybe not action packed but nice to be on the water. Record so far sizewise was 53 cm in Okiwi bay anchored up on a live piper on the bottom obviously, about ten years ago, and at the time was almost too distraught by the demise of my precious livebait to appreciate my awesome gurnard., curious to know if anyone has caught any on livies? ( mine was a total fluke, I was after snapper of course)

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 3:46pm
That's cool Perchase. 53cm is a solid gurnard. I've never caught one on a live bait but the bigger ones often have small fish such as juvenile flounder andstargazers in their gut. Maybe a small live bait is a good option!

-------------

Posted By: fishwisperer
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:01pm

Harvesting our east coast bays carrot patch.

The plan was a catch up carrot sesh with Pea in the little FC off the bays, it's a great time of year to try and track down a few of these succulent morsels. The snapper thin out and the carrots move in, over the years they have taken up residence off the bays over winter. When we first started catching them a few years ago we would get 2-3 to every one snap, now that we target them a lot more when the snapper have thinned right out it's pretty much a 100% catch rate. It's pretty cool to head out and target a certain fish and only catch that species and nothing else. With a high around just after 10.00 we launched around 9.00, the plan was to fish that last hour of the tide and into the slack. I do like fishing them on the slack but you get them right through the tides.

Arriving at our spot and with the wind not to strong we decided to start with a few drifts using softies and micro jigs, it can be a lot of fun catching them on the light gear. Pea was running a little micro jig and I was on a soft bait, part of the plan was to trial a few different techniques to see what works best when targeting them. I do prefer the good old bait and berley and really think you can't beat it. We caught a couple on our first couple of drifts then dropped a few over the next 2-3 drifts so the micro jig and softies worked well even though we had to work a little more for them - it is fun drifting and hooking up..

After a few more drifts and no takes we changed over to drifting with baits but as the tide slackened the wind picked up and it got a little to difficult to fish on the drift, it was time to drop the pick and berley and let the fish come to us. Although a lot of fisho's hate the mess of bait and berley I still think that old school fishing is one of the best ways to target fish if you are wanting to land good numbers. Don't get me wrong I do love a bit of softbaiting and micro/slow jigging but only when it is the time to do so. This time of year in the shallows or just off shore bait and berley comes into it's own.

Setting the berley we dropped our first baits, cubed pillie is one of my favorite ways to catch them - just the right size to fit in their mouths. It normally takes a good 10-15mins before you start to get any inquires, we normally get a few little nibbles with the odd hook up or miss then 30-40mins in they can really come on the bite as the berley kicks in. Our first few carrots were of small size but at least we started getting a few, but as stated above the bites came on more and more and soon we were getting bites within seconds of the bait hitting the bottom. I stuck with the strayline rig but Pea was starting to get hammed on the Ocean Assassin flasher rig which he likes to use when targeting gurnard.

Our east coast carrots are a little different to the west in the way of size, we can get some goodies but off the bays they probably average around 35-40cm. We kept the ones reaching over the 30cm and soon we had a few more hitting the bin around the 32cm. There were plenty there for the taking and after adding 5-6 to the ones we got on the drift we had a big front come through and drag us off our spot. It gets a little annoying especial when they are on the bite and after resetting a few times it went pretty quite for us, we managed a few more once we stayed put and better ones around the 42cm.

With the wind up and a good 10-12 carrots in the bin we called it a day - our carrot plan came together perfectly and it was a great catch up gurnard sesh with Pea.

Tight lines

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:55pm
Nice FW want to crack 50cm out there. I reckon there is a bulldog amongst them.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 9:08pm
Good little bunch of carrots there Jase. Your plans really do come together nicely😉

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 4:40pm
Targeting carrots off the bays......

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:49pm

Targeting west coast carrots in the little FC430......

Posted By: Wanda_Ra
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:56pm

I suspect Tamaki Strait may hold decent numbers of gurnard in the winter in the same way the 10-15m flats off East Coast Bays do - as Shane and the kayak guys up that way have got on to. Similar habitat and bottom with crabs, crustaceans etc.

40 years ago we often caught gurnard in the panmure basin. 
A few weeks back we caught a small one off music point, they might be back in the estuary once more ??

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Posted By: cosmo
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:00pm
ok so trick is how do i sneak into clarks beach from the south lol thinking tuakau

-------------
Thank you craft beer breweries for making my drinking problem look like a neat hobby

Print Page | Close Window