Print Page | Close Window

FC 635 vs Surtees 610

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133474
Printed Date: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm

Topic: FC 635 vs Surtees 610
Posted By: jakepitsville
Subject: FC 635 vs Surtees 610
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:47pm
Weighing up these two. Seems the FC looka like a good boat and more for your money? Currently have a 5.5 surtees and wanting to upgrade. Any experiences

Replies:
Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:56pm
Surtees mate.
But then again im so ridiculously biased its not funny.
Seems to be some good deals going at the moment (for obvious reasons) 
I see surtees have finally put in a new black dash board so you can now flush mount ya fish finder, About bloody time.
Never set foot in an FC. They look like OK boats-Just dont have the pedigree yet. 

Posted By: otdrmn
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:12pm
Have the fc535cc and had the Surtees 6.1
Both great boats for what I use / used them for.
Haven’t been out in a 6m FC so can’t comment.
Pros and Cons for both.
Every boat you buy will be a compromise of some degree just get what you can afford and be happy with it.
Surtees owners will vote Surtees and FC owners will vote FC

-------------
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting

Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:24pm
I guess I am asking... why would I change to an FC from a surtees. The 635 does look quite nice

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:30pm
get a second hand stabi.

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:32pm
Just from a design point of view...

Surtees have a more aggressive deadrise throughout, FC have gunnel buoyancy along with the underfloor. 

If I were blatting through chop I'd prefer the surtees, offshore I'd prefer the FC. Just seems like if you really get in the poo the foam high up is nice to have. 

I own neither, but that's my take. Can't go too far wrong with either, so consider just how much you trust the dealer, or what motor comes with it as well. 

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:45pm
Sea trial them both, the Surtees traps water inside the entire length of the keel, which adds weight, but not necessarily where you want it, when you want it. The FC traps it all in a tank at the front. The FC is also wider, and I think you have more hard-top-side (if that makes sense) behind the Helm. 

I do know the FC doesn't have a bulk head between the helm and the cabin, means that two people can lie side by side in there with their feet hanging out into the helm area. I think the Surtees has a bulkhead? Whatever you do, Sea trial both though in calm and choppy conditions. The FC will be drier, but possibly a bit harder riding.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: notalloyit
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:40am
The surtees hulls push a lot more water look at them underway they're always bow high, and don't ride as flat as the FC.

-------------
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

I guess I am asking... why would I change to an FC from a surtees. The 635 does look quite nice

I would suggest Dryness, Stability and the overall roominess of the 635. The flooding 200 litre ballast tank up front is a huge asset when it turns to a crappy head on sea on the way home - this is much different to a flooding keel which the 635 has anyway.

I have the FC560 C/C and I'm absolutely sold on it. To date we have done over 700 motoring hours in 4 years and over 11,000 kilometers in it. We have taken it everywhere you could go from Auckland East and West coasts plus a number of trips to the far North. This hull has no vices and is a joy to own and fish from.

Posted By: Rozboon
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:18am
The Surtees is going to have better resale if that's important to you.

I like the lines of the FC, big fan of a rising shearline.

The baitboard setup the FCs come with looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Surees option. Likewise I'm not 100% sure I'm convinced by the livebait tank setup on the FC, but these are minor considerations.

The biggest one for me? Might be an outdated viewpoint, but the welds on a couple of FCs that I've eyeballed close up were bloody terrible. Especially in less conspicuous areas, like under the extended coaming bit around the bow. Structurally probably fine, but when compared to the welds on a Surtees (industrial but consistent) you do wonder about the pride the welder took in their work.

Here's an example, look at the welds on the left hand side as it goes into the curve, it's like the welder got bored or the apprentice took over or something, may not be the case but it makes you wonder what the welds under the floor might look like:

Edit: Right click, Open image in new tab to view full size.

Posted By: edge01
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:35pm
I used to have a Surtees 5.5. for a couple of years. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Awesome machine.

Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:01pm
 Rozboon is dead right. The build quality, welding and finish is superior on a Surtees.
Some people dont care. But alot do.
You could argue that the resale of some 2nd had surtees is almost too high.  Paying 65k for a banged up 610 when a new one can be had with electronics and winch for 80k seems nuts.
But what the hell.... Surtees are a great investment. If you buy new , look after her and dont sell the following year you will get alot of ya hard earned tin back.
Whats not to like.

Posted By: neil_cb125t
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:37pm
Seaforce is making a 7m version of their UTE......It will be unbeatable if you dont want a HT.....

Pontoon - glass - can run twins - more fishing room than ever.........

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:17pm
Jake, perhaps you need to have a ride and experience the FC for your self.

I believe NZTurtle may be selling his machine soon, 6.1 Surt, 130Hp Honda... give him a PM.Thumbs Up

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:19am
The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.

It would be timely to mention that your son (edit: and you?) are apparently sponsored by FC Boats.

Posted By: Motorhead
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

The Surtees is going to have better resale if that's important to you.

I like the lines of the FC, big fan of a rising shearline.

The baitboard setup the FCs come with looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Surees option. Likewise I'm not 100% sure I'm convinced by the livebait tank setup on the FC, but these are minor considerations.

The biggest one for me? Might be an outdated viewpoint, but the welds on a couple of FCs that I've eyeballed close up were bloody terrible. Especially in less conspicuous areas, like under the extended coaming bit around the bow. Structurally probably fine, but when compared to the welds on a Surtees (industrial but consistent) you do wonder about the pride the welder took in their work.

Here's an example, look at the welds on the left hand side as it goes into the curve, it's like the welder got bored or the apprentice took over or something, may not be the case but it makes you wonder what the welds under the floor might look like:

Edit: Right click, Open image in new tab to view full size.

Those are very poor looking welds and we all know a photo unless macro will not reveal the true extent of the finish.
I am surprised their QA inspection process passed those even if for cosmetic purposes only.
That section of weld should have been ground out and redone.

Posted By: pompey
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:58am
Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?

I chose the 610.surtees as similar money to the 635 FC. I was under the assumption the 610 took over from the 6.1 Barcrusher. In my experience all Surtees are measured LOA rather then properly. My 5.5 workmate is really only a 5m boat. The .5 comes from outboard pod.and bowsprint

Posted By: MightyBoosh
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:28pm
Reading with interest. Please keep the comments coming. Surtees and FC are on my shortlist, but behind Innovision. I was planning to pull the trigger at the boat show, but no rush now. 

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:23pm

It would be timely to mention that your son (edit: and you?) are apparently sponsored by FC Boats.

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats. The good FC560 purchase price was reflective of buying into an early production model after a test in a prototype which is a lot different to being sponsored.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:27pm

I met up with another boat for a trip at the BP in Warkworth and had an equivalent sized 4.95 surtees alongside my genuine 5 metre boat an FC500 and honestly the Surtees would have fit inside.

Yes, take a tape measure along with you, some manufacturers take resizing/remeasuring to an artform.  

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:16pm

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats.

could you please clarify whether your rose-tinted googles were supplied by FC or you purchased them separately...

-------------
Death - Our community's #1 killer

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Rozboon is dead right. The build quality, welding and finish is superior on a Surtees.
Some people dont care. But alot do.
You could argue that the resale of some 2nd had surtees is almost too high.  Paying 65k for a banged up 610 when a new one can be had with electronics and winch for 80k seems nuts.
But what the hell.... Surtees are a great investment. If you buy new , look after her and dont sell the following year you will get alot of ya hard earned tin back.
Whats not to like.

yes, the resale on the moderate sized Surtees appears to be very very good. 

whether they are your favourite or not, this alone makes them a worthy consideration to purchase because theyre not likely to make the whole ownership exercise too expensive.

-------------
Death - Our community's #1 killer

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:33pm
Jake as an aside question, have you considered or thought about AMF?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:41pm
The 5.8 is the now the 610.
The old 6.1  is now the 650 ( obviously bigger.)
The old 6.1 had good size bunks if you were into overnighting, The new 610 has the same size squabs as the 575..... so you really need bunk extensions if or as it turns out a 70lt Burnsco chilly bin to make it big enough for a 6' man to sleep on.
The  610 has a longer cockpit ,the 650,s is just huge...like fish 6 guys easily.
Wouldnt go any less than a 150 on the back.
My best mate has a 15 year old 6.1 Barcrusher hes had from new.Was running a 150 v-max on the back which was nearly at 1000 very hard hours.
Hes just put on a new 200 yam 4 Stroke, Which doesnt actually go as well.... Testament to just how ballsy those v6  injected motors really are. My point is that hull is still as good structurally as the day he brought it. Yep sure its got a few scratchs etc but it just  keeps going. We have been out in some seriously nasty sh-t in it and got home safely every time.....Amazingly rugged boat.
Years ago we got badly caught out at the Mokes.... The decision was made to punch it back as weather was only gonna get worse.
3 meter high waves straight on thanks to a massive  Sou wester. It took 4 hours for us to get back to Omaha.... Absolutely buggered.
We were taking so much water over the roof that the bilge pump run the whole way home. This wasnt anything to do with being a wet boat.... Any boat in those conditions would be wet... It was to this day one of the most terrifying trips of my life. The 6.1 just shrugged it off like it was another day in the office. Nothing broke, everything still worked perfectly considering we were underwater half the trip. Amazing. 
Had we been in a center consol.  Forget it. Would of been swamped.     

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:52pm

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats.

Sponsorship doesn't mean a free ride, it just means you got "a deal" that isn't available to the average purchaser with some expectation that you will promote whatever you got a deal on.

And based on the below, at the very least your son is sponsored by them?

Personally I find astroturfing (google it) pretty distasteful. Even if you genuinely believe everything about the boat is the ducks nuts (which I'm sure you do) you should be disclosing the fact that you got hooked up to some extent on the boat.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:12pm
Fair call Robozon, looks like sponsorship to me... and I’d argue probably biased.
I’m not sponsored but know 5 meter stabi that would easily outperform above boats mentioned in real rough water. Why Matt Watson and Fishing News were both using them on a recent rerun show... or more probably cause they were both sponsored by stabicraft.
But as said before it really come down to what your into... I used to like trying to fish against really big boats in tournaments for marlin offshore. Now, not so much, and starting to appreciate vessels with more comfort when  fishing and general cruising, over just staying alive see keeping ability, which my stabi has in spades. 
Welds on my boat are 19 years old never had a problem and as good as new. Boat is overbuilt with 10 mm keel strip added aftermarket in its early years by an accredited stabi welder at insistence of dealer who sold it to me. Was only one in Auckland from memory. But that’s how you build an international brand.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Jake as an aside question, have you considered or thought about AMF?

Dear I say it without incurring the wrath of there staunch fan club.....They could do with a bit of an update.
I mean bait tank in the outboard pod is soooooo 2004.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 7:46pm
AMF are a fine built heavy duty boat. And I would say from observation of boats have seen, excellent welding (not that I could weld or know anything about it) apart from knowing what ugly looks like. Like  some stuff seen at boat shows that looks terrible and can probably ground off to look part, but clearly too much bother,  or maybe once done can’t be undone without compromise.  Who among your average boat buyer knows, but clearly some are not to as high a standard.

I like AMF , one best fisherman I know has one... and was highly selective in choosing. It’s an 8 meter non hardtop inboard diesel powered machine. So fast I only see him leaving and back inside.
 If you’ve seen their promotional vid they are not only showing they can build a good boat they are trying to prove it ... not many marques do that... not like a big extreme driving round on a calm sea... who knows could be ok in rough , but nah, not really consistent with a lot of the feedback.

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:17pm
Jake, you know what your existing boat has been thru, and she got you and your crew home with some nice fish. The man with the gold pays, just make sure you sea trial before you buy, you know what the surtees is
Ike.
Give us a call, the 5.8 gamefisher is excellent for us.

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

The 5.8 is the now the 610.
The old 6.1  is now the 650 ( obviously bigger.)
The old 6.1 had good size bunks if you were into overnighting, The new 610 has the same size squabs as the 575..... so you really need bunk extensions if or as it turns out a 70lt Burnsco chilly bin to make it big enough for a 6' man to sleep on.
The  610 has a longer cockpit ,the 650,s is just huge...like fish 6 guys easily.
Wouldnt go any less than a 150 on the back.
My best mate has a 15 year old 6.1 Barcrusher hes had from new.Was running a 150 v-max on the back which was nearly at 1000 very hard hours.
Hes just put on a new 200 yam 4 Stroke, Which doesnt actually go as well.... Testament to just how ballsy those v6  injected motors really are. My point is that hull is still as good structurally as the day he brought it. Yep sure its got a few scratchs etc but it just  keeps going. We have been out in some seriously nasty sh-t in it and got home safely every time.....Amazingly rugged boat.
Years ago we got badly caught out at the Mokes.... The decision was made to punch it back as weather was only gonna get worse.
3 meter high waves straight on thanks to a massive  Sou wester. It took 4 hours for us to get back to Omaha.... Absolutely buggered.
We were taking so much water over the roof that the bilge pump run the whole way home. This wasnt anything to do with being a wet boat.... Any boat in those conditions would be wet... It was to this day one of the most terrifying trips of my life. The 6.1 just shrugged it off like it was another day in the office. Nothing broke, everything still worked perfectly considering we were underwater half the trip. Amazing. 
Had we been in a center consol.  Forget it. Would of been swamped.     

In a CC run with it?  Lee shore around the Mokes?

Posted By: MightyBoosh
Date Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:56pm
Re: Surtees size - I saw an Innovision 585 pull up at the boat ramp next to a Surtees 575. It made the Surtees look like a bath toy. I've nothing against Surtees, may even end up buying one, just interesting to note.

Date Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:34am
Surtees measure hull length from the rear of the boarding platform to the front of the bowsprit. Big overhangs as well. My C17 has a waterline length of 4.5m on a 5m hull. You’d need to get a 5.5m Surtees for the same afaik.

Posted By: treedoc
Date Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:50am

The 650 is the same LOA as the FC635.

I sea trialled a few boats when I was in the market a few years ago, in the 5.5m range.

I chose not to purchase an FC based on my assessment of the build quality of the hull and trailer. I asked for a sea trial (rather than a river trial), but wasn't allowed to take it out of the harbour for 'insurance reasons', so didn't really get a fair assessment of it in sea conditions.

Ended up buying something else and am happy with my decision.

My main fishing buddy has a 5.5 workmate, I have done a lot of hours in it and probably would have bought one except he had one.

Joker has been pushing FC boats on here for ages, I suspect he is a bit biased

Date Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:34pm
[QUOTE=MightyBoosh]Reading with interest. Please keep the comments coming. Surtees and FC are on my shortlist, but behind Innovision. I was planning to pull the trigger at the boat show, but no rush now. [/QUOTE

Agree Innovision  look awesome...
Been to White Island couple of times (was calm) and spent fair bit of time on a 5.5 surtees. Impression was a good  sea boat and was well powered with a  90 Honda.
The  older 6.1 Surtees hulls with about 150 horse power go great from what I‘ve seen ... and I’m a biased stabi owner.

Date Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:30am
All great input. I own a 5.5 surtees that's taken me everywhere up here and has gotten us home in the worst possible conditions. 2m breaking chop 35knotts side on. Scary we were only at the ruahine so wasn't to far to get home.   I must try one of these FC boats

Date Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:35am
Also I am extremely BIAS towards Surtees. I'm happy to hear from all including people who may or may not.be bias or sponsored. The more for the discussion the better.

So far what I have learnt is surtees should have better build and. Those who have there FC love them as much as surtees owners. I am yet to really understand the major handling differences with the different deadrise

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 08 May 2020 at 7:19pm
i'm playing around in the toy boat size compared to you boys, but am an FC owner. I'm not an engineer type person, so the look of welds doesn't worry me, particularly not hidden ones - as long as they hold together over a long period of time, does how nicely finished a weld is that you can't see really matter?
Re-sell isn't something that i worried about much, as I intend to hold on to my boat for quite some time.

It doesn't take Einstein to look at the shapes of the two boats you're considering to imagine that they will cut through the water differently, and sit differently at rest - despite both having some level of flooding.
It appears from what others have said in threads which have discussed various boat sizes in the past couple of years that these two makes have different levels of dryness, again due to hull design.
I concur that looking at the supposed length comparisons is disappointing from a Surtees perspective. But you just have to compensate by going a step up to get the correct comparison with other makes. 

anyway, here's a magazine review that you might find worth adding to your knowledge bank, particularly in terms of the ride, if you haven't seen it alredy.

https://www.bayfisher.co.nz/fc-boats-635ht.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.bayfisher.co.nz/fc-boats-635ht.html

Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:43am
Never liked that massive skirt that FC has put around the shear line. Yep... I get  how it works, increases walk around and frontal area and generally does a great job. But it looks pretty average IMHO.
Surtees are no doubt wetter, but its not excessive and anyway if ya got a hard top who cares... just hit the wiper.
Funnily enough I find in glass calm conditions is when a Surtees feels least efficent.
Sure it still rides perfectly fine....But they feel like they are pushing water a bit.
Add a bit of chop though and they simply just come into there own and carve it up.

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:55pm

I met up with another boat for a trip at the BP in Warkworth and had an equivalent sized 4.95 surtees alongside my genuine 5 metre boat an FC500 and honestly the Surtees would have fit inside.

Yes, take a tape measure along with you, some manufacturers take resizing/remeasuring to an artform.  
You forgot to tell them that the FC 500 is now a 535.
And yes the new 610 is the same as the old 5.8 except longer same as the 575 is a longer than the old 5.5s.
As far as measurements go on the side of the boat its up to the buyer to see what they are paying for. Whether the number says 5,6, or 7 its irrelevant.                                                                                  Surtees Boats come with a 10yr warranty not that you will need it.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:11pm
Look can be deceiving, put my 5.8 alongside 6.1 barcrucsher, very minimal difference.
What makes it look, bigger is the tandem trailer. Mate has a 5.8 on a tandem trailer , again the boat looks bigger. Might be biased, surtees

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Date Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

[
You forgot to tell them that the FC 500 is now a 535.
And yes the new 610 is the same as the old 5.8 except longer same as the 575 is a longer than the old 5.5s.
As far as measurements go on the side of the boat its up to the buyer to see what they are paying for. Whether the number says 5,6, or 7 its irrelevant.                                                                                  Surtees Boats come with a 10yr warranty not that you will need it.

The FC535 has a completely different stern to the FC500, with a portofino transom and boarding platforms. The old 500 also had 3mm sides, the 535 has 4mm. FC didn't just re-label the 500 a 535.

It's certainly the manufacturer's prerogative to use whatever size they want for marketing purposes (LOA versus another method). It is just interesting when the exact same boat suddenly grows 10-20cm in the marketing.
That's different to a boat in a manufacturer's new range being longer through changes to the transom or bow.

Either way, we're off thread. As the owner of a comparatively small runabout, I'd love to head out to Little Barrier in either boat you mention at the top! 

It's interesting to see the various signatures of each manufacturer. One Good Friday, we were returning from the Far North when everyone else was heading north. There was a steady stream of boats - every third vehicle, it seemed - and we got really good at spotting Extreme, Surtees, Ramco, Stabi etc.

i went out to Little Barrier with JW in his Northside Adventures boat - a custom 7.5m Surtees - and it was a great craft, certainly handled the heavy chop on our way home very well. It'd be worth asking him about his experiences so far with his Surtees, particularly the ride in open seas.

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:57pm
On the advice from a couple of FC 535 owners I bought one just before the lock down. I only managed four trips out of Tauranga and apart from a charging issue on the brand new Merc which is still unresolved,I'm pretty happy with it. I had (and still do if anyone wants to buy) a 620 Senator. OK, I've lost my shade and enclosed shelter but have gained more fishing room, way cheaper running and ease of launch and retrieve. I really like simply walking up to put the pick down instead of crawling through a cabin and up a hatch. While I haven't had it in anything narly, I've found it handles as well and it far drier than two Stabies I have owned of similar size. I wanted and easy to handle, easy to tow and economical fishing boat and its what I've got. I've never been in a Surtees so can't compare. I also don't get into brand **** fights.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:16pm
I'd sea test any boat once twice thrice for what you do Jake.

The original 5.5s were pretty good boats.
I'm not sold in the other Surtees.
Generally disappointing rides.

Boat brands have some in there stables that work well.
The rest modified up,or down are not always as good.

So back to basics.
Research as you are doing now.

And when your list is more refined do as I suggest above test.
You have to do more than one in different environments.

Forget brands....

Look at boat design, construction quality.
Then ability to modify to fit your needs.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: letsgetem
Date Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:32am
Getting a sea trial - really has to be in a high wind sea, otherwise you wont find out how it feels when its ****ty. That's hard to do, as the seller probably will want to trial it now, not later when you want.

Date Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'd sea test any boat once twice thrice for what you do Jake.

The original 5.5s were pretty good boats.
I'm not sold in the other Surtees.
Generally disappointing rides.

Boat brands have some in there stables that work well.
The rest modified up,or down are not always as good.

So back to basics.
Research as you are doing now.

And when your list is more refined do as I suggest above test.
You have to do more than one in different environments.

Forget brands....

Look at boat design, construction quality.
Then ability to modify to fit your needs.

That might be the best advice I've ever seen you give Mattoo! Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Getting a sea trial - really has to be in a high wind sea, otherwise you wont find out how it feels when its ****ty. That's hard to do, as the seller probably will want to trial it now, not later when you want.

Needs to be both ****ty and Calm. My boat surprised me in the calm, was very average initially, before I adjusted engine height and added trim tabs.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:00am
If you get a sea trial in the FC boat make sure that you test the lock in ballast up front in a head sea. On my FC560 locking on 200kg right up front makes the difference between travelling at 18mph to be able to travel at 25mph without bangs. This made all the difference late last year when travelling back from North Cape to Houhora into a nasty head sea for 30 miles.

Date Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:34pm
Thanks Joker I will

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:49am
Well i'm pretty much in the same boat as Schampy and currently on my second Surtees.  Had the 5.8 (now the 610) and got a 650 which is basically the old 6.1 Barcrusher.
Your welcome to have a look if your on the shore.
Haven't been on an FC but like others have mentioned some of the finishes weren't the best.
Apart from sea trails etc when looking at boats i always went and looked at the second hand boats to see how they were holding up,  one brand looked good new but definitely didn't seem to wear as well.
I'm sure Fishing Boats NZ is doing a demonstrator day soon so book in for that,  they won't cancel because of the weather.

One of the other main things i look at when buying a boat is who they are,  mate got a new boat from one dealer and luckily hes a patient guy,  i'm not impressed with there service.
Got both mine from FBNZ and service is been great,  any problem was solved immediately.

Just got this from them as well

Image Blocked - Right Click to View

-------------
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:24pm
im abit confused to the change in surtees the old bar crusher 6.1 is not the 650.  My 5.5 is only 5m if measured correctly and the .5 comes from the extra bits?  

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:52pm
See Treedoc's post on p2 of the thread. Image shows what the interpretation of LOA (length overall) is in Surtees' case. ie. appears to be from the tip of the bowsprit to the outer edge of the rail on the stern. Presumably they detail actual hull length, beam etc in their details specs online.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:57pm
Im aware of length overall thing but my point is this:  I was under the assumption they have been using length over all the whole time and at never measured properly (ie my hulls 2000 and its 5.5 including the bowsprits etc, the hull is only 5 m if measured properly).  Be interesting to see if the 6.1 is LOA or measured properly. 

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

im abit confused to the change in surtees the old bar crusher 6.1 is not the 650.  My 5.5 is only 5m if measured correctly and the .5 comes from the extra bits?  

Yep they did well at confusing everyone.
Schampy had all the sizes correct.
Down my drive is a 650 and a 6.1, basically the same boat.

Also why the new one is the 610 and not the 6.1.
The 610 basically being the old 5.8 which YKnot has.

Headache, i got one when looking and basically if they had explained it all when i brought the 650 i probably would have got the 700.

-------------
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Well by the sounds of it, in the early days they measured how they do now, the wrong way doing LOA including all the bits.  in the 2000s until the recent change they might have gone back to measuring properly transom to top deck etc.  I doubt there has been a price change even if your getting less boat.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:08pm
Easiest thing to do is ignore them and measure the LWL. That's the best indicator of how big the boat is that's easily available. One can estimate it from the Surtees site, as it has scale drawings of their boats. 
Best indication is the PPI, pounds per inch immersion at the DWL, but I'm not aware of a single NZ manufacturer that publishes that. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 6:41am

Yep they did well at confusing everyone.
Schampy had all the sizes correct.
Down my drive is a 650 and a 6.1, basically the same boat.

Also why the new one is the 610 and not the 6.1.
The 610 basically being the old 5.8 which YKnot has.

Headache, i got one when looking and basically if they had explained it all when i brought the 650 i probably would have got the 700.
[/QUOTE]
All, the Surtees boats have had a redesigned transom, and that is when the model numbers changed.  

A ll new Surtees models will feature an upgraded transom design promising greater safety, practicality and distance out on the water. The new design, named the Offshore Transom, which has been in development for the last year, is based on feedback from fishermen – with a few extra features thrown in. The Offshore Transom boasts increased fuel capacity, extending the distance fishermen can travel without needing to refuel. An external fuel filler in the transom also means no need to swallow fumes when it does come time to fill up. Another sought-after feature is additional battery storage space, allowing for larger electric trolling motors. Along with easier access to fuel and batteries, electrical systems are now fully enclosed from the elements, and there PRESS RELEASE: Surtees Offshore Transom game changer for new surtees A revolutionary Offshore Transom design has been added to the entire Surtees range, along with other impressive features 98 | http://www.fishingsa.com.au%20" rel="nofollow - www.fishingsa.com.au PRESS RELEASE: Surtees Offshore Transom is increased separation for the electrical and fuel systems for added safety. We moved the fuel filler to the back of the transom and then create a further separation between battery and fuel, to maintain high safety levels. For fishermen who are sick of bruised knees and cramped corners, an internal door provides anglers with extra support from inside the boat without losing the corner of the vessel. For the bigger models (610 upwards) there is also a robust built-in flush mounted passenger seat, making the most of space within the boat. The new transom also removes age old frustrations for fishermen, by providing easier access to the main vessel bung and bilge pump, and including a modified live bait tank that drains into the water ballast rather than the sump, for a cleaner, more enjoyable fishing experience. Loaded with industry-leading features, the Surtees Offshore Transom is sure to give fishermen a solid reason for upgrading their fishing vessel in 2018.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:16am
At the end of the day just remember to take a tape measure and if you want to brag about a bigger boat then get some bigger decals made.

Posted By: Ecko
Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:57am
Further to Rozboons point I have no experience in either vessel but having seen the FC at the 2019 Boatshow I was also disappointed in the quality of the welding.

Surtees finishing from what I have seen has Lways been excellent

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:43am
Hi Jake not wanting to drag up the past, how did you get on with your boat testing.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 2:16pm
Never got anywhere with it. Been stuck in the far north. Tried to organize a frewza 21 test but no one was able or willing.

Posted By: Coutta
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:04am
Since my last post lock down has finished, the charging issue in the motor has been rectified and I've had my FC 535 CC out in some pretty crappy seas. All I can say is that I was surprised how a boat that size handled the seas and kept me dry. To tell the truth I havent had a good look at the welds underneath and don't really care as long as they stay together. Having said all this, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and looks don't bother me. I've got a Lab cross for a gun dog. She's not as pretty as a pure bred with a pedigree and she wasn't anywhere near as expensive. Does the job as well if not better though.

Posted By: sposman
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:46pm
I've only got the F18, have heard the F21 is a good boat, but for offshore work I've only been in a 7.5 westcoaster and an osprey, we've driven past extremes and surtees over the manukau bar making hard work of it, those two hulls are awesome

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:29pm
pretty hard to hear ospery is as good as a westcoatster across a bar,  but take your word for it. Maybe in following sea coming in would be as good or better,  but surely not going out.

Print Page | Close Window