Print Page | Close Window

Fish dinners

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133182
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:21am

Topic: Fish dinners
Posted By: Muppet
Subject: Fish dinners
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:24pm
Who is still eating it? Do you buy from supermarket? I will buy salmon and the bait. Lmao

Replies:
Posted By: Coochdog
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:37pm
Fish meals two to three times a week at the moment as we are making do with what we have.

Honestly buy a vac packer when this is over,Fish freezes well if treated properly.

Dont wash it and dry with paper towls prior to packing.

Were sorted,Usually stock up for winter as we target the trout and whitebait more over winter and early spring.

Snapper fillets,Kingfish steaks for the weber grill,Fish cakes made from the scraps,flounder underneath and kingi wings,trout fillets for smoking.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
I said to the wife we should get one.

Time to stop being too generous handing out free fish.

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:00pm
Wewill have to dive into freezer for some old smoked marlin.. at least couple of years and more recent yft from few weeks ago... got to love fish pies- white wine almost run out for me, have bit of beer also running low on tequila. Wife has massive red wine reserve but I’m not allowed as quite special bottles. Drink em while you can I say to her. To which I’m getting death stare in reply.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:06pm
Haha 😂 yes I found a secret wine stash in my man cave. I was impressed to be honest.

Talking of fish dinner just saw Clarke Gayfords Show and he was having dinner with Jacinda. She looked quite nice compared to lately.

Kahawai tacos sound good right now.

Posted By: Coochdog
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:14pm
Briscos,Had a robert harris one for 3 years around $100 but only when they have a sale

The bulk of our catch is shared around freinds,family neighbours,Soon as the air temps drop though hibernation instincts kick in and the stash building begins

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:18pm
Yeah I share out most of my catch.
Things will change a bit when this is done.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:40pm
Hmmm .. yep have a freezer well stocked with smoked fish.. gem, marlin , king KY snapper., muscles , scallops

But still for a quick junk food afternoon snack a tin of sardines in olive, between 2 bits wheaten bread and 3/4 of a sliced onion..

Oh there is also smoked eel t , few packs of whitebait
 All vac packed

Vac pac way to go...
We get 1/2 beast every so often
A hogget or lamb and 1/2 pig.
 Break them down into steaks , chops roasts etc
 The stuff that normally goes for mince sausages etc get cut into 'lumps' These 'lumps' are sized  so defrost ,  chop for casserole or put thru the mincer for rissoles  or thru the sausage maker as needed.
 Or swap with those who took their 1/2 of the beast and got salamis what ever made up...

OH and missus cured cuts then tells me she wants X smoke Y long at  Z temp..
Works out around $5 to $7 kg..all up. 

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:51pm
Was talking about it tonight with wife while scoffing delicious beef nachos- l personally love mex food. 
Wife said while I was saying (going on about) how  I’d love fresh fillet of snapper or even better gurnard... she said -  just think how good fishery will be when we can go fishing.... basically will be left alone where I fish.

Posted By: Buggar-me
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
Vac pac machines are awesome. We use it for everything. Initially the thought was "we will never use it". Had to buy more bags 3 times now.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:32pm
+1 for vac packers.

I keep heads/frames in the freezer for freefishheads, we may end up eating them!

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:28pm
We got a vac packer a couple of months ago. Its been great so far. Still sitting on 7 or so kg of snapper fillets. Had homemade fish n chips last night.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: baitcatcher
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 11:36pm
"Add me 2" for vacuum packing machines ive been using them for years,im on my second one I have the "as seen on TV" ADMAN brand machine,I've had it for over 10years ,the bags can work out quite expensive but I get good quality bags / rolls of bags from wish.com rolls up to 30cm x 15metres long work out very cheap.
I find for fish, soaking the fillets in a iced salt soultion for 15minutes,drain for 15minutes vacuum and they just last and taste so much better,I do the same with my Whitebait.i also vac pac beef steaks,lamb shanks pork,chicken,cooked chicken / fish pot pie mix,home made soups /reduced fish stock (great for risotto,fish pies,seafood chowder) and even cleaned whole Snapper.

Vinnie
dinner for my wife & I of Japanese style spiced Snapper and smoked chilli/lime Gurnard with fried aubergine,home made egg noodles,Julianne of carrot,green beans & soft boiled egg, reduction of chilli/ginger homemade fish stock.      tasted very nice.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it. Gurnard/snapper/terries etc, always eaten fresh. Matt Watson way and 5 days in fridge, still good. But have frozen gem - smoked and pulled out 6 mth later for fish pie (couple weeks ago), just fine. Frozen a bit of BN and puka - because don't see them often. But eaten in a few weeks. So how long would you keep gurnard etc in vac pac?
Alan.

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:38am
the bags can work out quite expensive but I get good quality bags / rolls of bags from wish.com rolls up to 30cm x 15metres long work out very cheap.

We have tried over the yrs many different rolls/ bags.. expensive and elcheapo.
 The best and have used for several yrs now are the KMart (cheapest) rolls... and make own bags to size as we vac pac stuff up.
 We have a sunbeam .. the one with the roll inside.. brought at discount as a revernished.
 Think the overload on the heater bar is getting a bit sensitive now, got to rest it more often when going hard out..
We borrowed several cheap and expensive ones , settled on this .. would have like to have afford something $300/400 but was well beyond our budget.

Posted By: Hook-it
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Vacuum packer , every fisher needs one. We have had fish out of freezerup to 18 months old, a bit dry, but still good to go. Fish pie is the go for the older one's. Wine, I make all sorts of fruit wines so no shortage of a very good (if i say so Myself) supply . Made 968 bottles in two years. Those that have aged for last twelve months are premo. No have not drunk that many they are sitting in the dark awaiting their turn.Wink

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:02am
We make the bags a little bigger than needed. Then cut just below the seal when opening, wash, rinse and dry. Good to go again.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it
 Dont know about fresh fish fillets as we have regular supply fresh fish.. all our stuff is smoke.. vac packed muscles fish etc we have found good as 2 plus yrs....if suspect, havnt had any yet.. fish pie, fritters etc.

Meat thats been out to 3 yrs plus and still good ...
If bags have lost vacuum that becomes rather suspect.

I think another factor is how clean your filleting boards are, and how clean the area is when vacuum .. hence another reason we gut at sea.
 Recommended is well shorter.. very PC from our experience.

Posted By: Derek F
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:27am
We have vacuum pac, but we reckon we do just as well being careful with filleting (dry and clean) and wrapping meal sizes in glad wrap then several meals into re usable ziplok bags.

-------------
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
Wishing I had vac-packed and frozen a bunch of the Kingfish I took the weekend before lockdown. Was operating under the presumption that local fishing with my bubble was going to be OK :/

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it. Gurnard/snapper/terries etc, always eaten fresh. Matt Watson way and 5 days in fridge, still good. But have frozen gem - smoked and pulled out 6 mth later for fish pie (couple weeks ago), just fine. Frozen a bit of BN and puka - because don't see them often. But eaten in a few weeks. So how long would you keep gurnard etc in vac pac?
Alan.

Hi Alan,thanks for your all interesting and informative post!!...(it's being great for my mental health,says the same guy that planted his favorite soft- bait rod & reel in his garden to use as a bean climber !!!!

I recommend get yourself a good quality vacuum packer,it pays to check the online review's,you won't regret it,I've even vac pac nuts as they last 5x longer .

I've given my Dad a keen fishman (born in Rotorua and 83years old, who taught me everything I know about allsorts of fishing, looking after your fish, cooking and smoking fish,I gave him some vacuum packed Snapper which I found at the bottom of my chest freezer,he cooked it and told me if it was only a few months old!!!....if think it was around 18months old.if you check out my post above,my method of vac pac works well for me.(don't get me wrong fresh fish like any other food is definitely best,(Maybe not a aged brandy...) but times like now it's not too bad,but the fish / Whitebait must be defrosted in a fridge over night and needs to be cooked slightly longer than you would your fresh fish.(I know if the fish is slightly over seasoned like any seafood no one would know the difference if it had been frozen or not.
My next vac pac machine is going to be a low cost commercial one if I make it out of this current situation....

Hope this info is helpful to you and my fellow fishos out their.
P.S I'm sure all the fish out there must be so hungry and on the bite for a nice silver/pink slow jig .....

Vinnie

Vac pac machine,cut to your size bags,
Whitebait and Sumdge's favorite skin on gurnard.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:29pm
Awesome - thanks.
Now I got a month to work out which one I buy. Next on the list.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:39pm
Yeah agree awesome info guys turned out not such a bad subject.

Have told wife to get salmon tomorrow. Don’t get that often in the Gulf.

Oh and few tins of pilchards!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
You gonna vacuum pack pilchards?
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:57pm

You gonna vacuum pack pilchards?
Alan

Muppet post does say canned pilchards.

Fresh pilchards,gutted and scalled can be vac-pac [ sou-vide ] with EVOO ,a few drops of fish sauce, red onion,fresh bay leaves/soft herbs, capers berrys, seasonings 63°for 20minutes try this recipe when you get your vac pac machine,tastes so nice you will never use them for bait again.
Vinnie

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:21pm
"Muppet post does say canned pilchards"
Sorry - missed that. Didn't know they came in cans.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:49pm
Sardines..... pilchards? Not sure.

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm
My fish dinner is tinned mackerel ( I hope it's mackerel) with chopped onions,a heap of.pepper and chilli. After that my sleeping place is the couch,Mrs doesn't care for the smell.

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
No worries Alan.
when I was in the States a few years ago in a grocery store they had whole roast chickens in a large cans sounds quite good at the moment I think!? it had a tear tab at both ends,just pop out & your ready to go,
I think the shelf life was about 5years.
           How convenient!!!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Sardines / pilchards are the same thing.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
When 1st tasted fresh mackerl, even tried pilchards, was the same thing.
 It was like comparing tinned spagetti to the real cooked thing.. would swear they where totally different meals.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

When 1st tasted fresh mackerl, even tried pilchards, was the same thing.
 It was like comparing tinned spagetti to the real cooked thing.. would swear they where totally different meals.

Your on to it Steps,good example!

Anchovies,Sardines,Pilchards, Herrings,Mackerel
they are very similar it's like same Mother different Father,
Can be prepared using the same recipes,different oil content though, just adjust cooking times.

Vinnie

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm

Not bad eh last nights

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm
Hey Muppet,
you got a nice colour on that Salmon skin.
Well done!
Vinnie

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:08pm
Wife cooked it and was crispy as. Ate it first.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
Wow that looks good Muppet!

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:08pm
Marine Deals have the innovate vac pak discounted at the moment.

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:01pm

How do they get this to you?  Surely its not "essential"?

Just asking, since I have zero home brew supplies

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm
I vac-pack snapper then freeze and it lasts for months.  Tastes as good as fresh when cooked (not so good when raw).  We've been having frozen fish a couple of meals a week and won't run out for a few weeks.  Trying lots of different recipes.  Pretty damn nice too

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
Someone might find this useful. I make fish fingers for my boy and freeze them without vac packing and they taste just fine. Snapper fillets cut in to small pieces then flour > egg wash > panko breadcrumbs.  Take care to freeze them separately on baking paper. It's the only fish I don't vac pack. I think the coating protects the fish. The adults in the house end up eating them too when we can't be bothered to prepare anything else!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Hi brm brm
Good point,I'm sure there's no courier deliveries of Marine Deals products while the country is on level 4,when we come off level 4 all couriers company's are going to have a massive backlogs to pickup and deliver, so orders will probably take week's to arrive.
Anyway what's the hurry, no one should have any freshly caught fish that needs to be vacuum packed.
Vinnie

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Im on the mailing/ customer list, get emails of specials etc

How what they do it or if like Trade me .. can list but not finish trade till end of the month sort of thing... I dont know m8.
 Havnt looked.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:01am
Muppet your Salmon dinner prompted me to find some Salmon in my freezer just so I could post a photo,
here is our lasts nights dinner

Garlic/lemon grass infused Salmon with stirfryed vegs,home growen buttered spinach & green beans,egg noodles and that's super crispy Salmon skin on the side.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
Nice

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:06pm
Today's fish lunch

Lunch of home made Gurnard,prawn & chive dumplings

Vinnie

Posted By: Waylander
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:04pm
Kingfish steaks with tumric, salt and white pepper rub. Grilled to perfection can garnish with some fresh coriander of it's your thing

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
Very nice lads

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:10pm
You guys are living like kings.

Thinking I'll raid the bait feeezer, maybe got enough herbs and spices to make digestion a little easier.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:38pm
Very nice Chef Waylander
using turmeric on your Kingfish steaks sounds delishes especially when you hit the heat with it,gives a nice earthy flavour and a golden colour .

Vinnie
Just had a delivery of Fresh Greenlip Mussels, sounds like dinner for tonight ,will post a photo later.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:51pm
Dinner tonight of fresh greenlip Mussels with roasted garlic,shallots & white wine cream & fresh herb sauce.

Vinnie     
wash your hands and please stay in your bubble

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:14am
Oh yeah mussels are on the Covid lockdown to do list.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:18am
I used to eat heaps of mussles each week. Can't even get them at the supermarket now.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:39am
I'm not a seafood lover but I would give that dish a try, Vinnie.
master chef in actionThumbs Up

Take Vinnie out on a fishing trip.. leave your sandwiches / food at home.
He even makes his curried chicken to suite the people hes with..
 Master Chef? Nope , hes the person who has been teaching ppl how to be a master chef.. for real...

Oh and his cakes , biscuits , all to die for, and Im not a fan of these.

One gets into a conservation about cooking your favorite meal, then he will throw in a suggestion of a certain spice or herb, or make the suse with pea flour or something
You will think  yeah.. NO.
Do it it takes your favorite meal at home to the next level..

Vinnie is one of those ppl , craftsmen , that when comes to cooking , anything , hes on to it after decades in the trade.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

I used to eat heaps of mussles each week. Can't even get them at the supermarket now.

Hi Fish - feeder

I get fresh NZ Mussels from Service Foods in Mangere.
Online only, no account required,they are NZ wide, they supply hospitality business,delivery to your door (if total under $200:00 flat fee of $14:00.Order by 4pm for delivery next day, limited grocery range,Great large range of fresh fish & seafood,they also have Milk,Bread,baking ingredients, meats,fruit and vegetables and even FLOUR!

Pay by credit card, contact-less delivery, good service!

No supermarket queues.No PPE's required!

Check out there website.

Vinnie

wash your hands and please stay in your bubble

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:31pm
Cheers Vinnie, but that postage cost could be extra food for my family,I couldn't justify it. I just can't work out why no mussles are sold at our supermarket.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm

I'm not a seafood lover but I would give that dish a try, Vinnie.
master chef in actionThumbs Up

Take Vinnie out on a fishing trip.. leave your sandwiches / food at home.
He even makes his curried chicken to suite the people hes with..
 Master Chef? Nope , hes the person who has been teaching ppl how to be a master chef.. for real...

Oh and his cakes , biscuits , all to die for, and Im not a fan of these.

One gets into a conservation about cooking your favorite meal, then he will throw in a suggestion of a certain spice or herb, or make the suse with pea flour or something
You will think  yeah.. NO.
Do it it takes your favorite meal at home to the next level..

Vinnie is one of those ppl , craftsmen , that when comes to cooking , anything , hes on to it after decades in the trade.

Thanks Steps I owe you a batch Cinnamon Buns

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:07pm
Sheesh. You guys eat/cook well. We have rabbit casserole tonight - with fresh field mushrooms. The rabbits were silly enough to wander over the lawn last night.Slug gun dealt to them.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:13pm
Alan,
Wild food on your doorstep.
You are living the dream.

For me it's marlin fish pie tonight.

Thanks for the heads up Vinnie.
Mussels in champagne, or bubbly wine, just need to find the baguettes to slurp up the sauce.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Cheers Vinnie, but that postage cost could be extra food for my family,I couldn't justify it. I just can't work out why no mussles are sold at our supermarket.

Hi,
I would say,because Mussels in the Supermarket are sold self- service,so they are open to cross contamination from all customers,the sneeze/cough guards they have are not suitable in today's environment.its also slowing down the customers experience of "grab and go",as you know some people take ages slectioning their "favourite "mussels one at a time!
They want customer's in & out at the moment....(faster turnover more profitable!....

IMO- Trouble is no one in the Supermarket would have enought brains to put on a pair of gloves and maybe a face mask and pre-pack them in the coolroom at the back at random weights and pre-priced them,and sold behind glass display case's. like pots of Oysters.

Vinnie
"wash your hands" and please stay in your bubble!

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:28pm

Sheesh. You guys eat/cook well. We have rabbit casserole tonight - with fresh field mushrooms. The rabbits were silly enough to wander over the lawn last night.Slug gun dealt to them.
Alan

Hi Alan
Fresh Rabbit sound great,any chance of swapping a kg of vac pac frozen Whitebait for one.

Vinnie- wash your hands and please stay in your bubble.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Alan,
Wild food on your doorstep.
You are living the dream.

For me it's marlin fish pie tonight.

Mattoo - we had cray last night - from the freezer - week or so old.
But sounds like we are all doing OK. I am wondering if shooting a bunny off your verandah qualifies as hunting.
Son saw one, grabbed the slug gun. Ping. I said well 1 rabbit won't go far for 3. 10 min later he gives me another - about half size. I complained - don't waste my time. 10 mins later he gives me another decent one. He has a day off today - reckons he has done his bit. Keeps him occupied.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm
Alan,
Hillarious.

I think most of us on the forum are prepped and ready.
And will take opportunities to fill the larder if they arise.

Do you think Vanuatu will get through this storm.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:35pm
I think Vtu will be OK - that is my eternal optimism. But they surely don't need it in lock down - one problem on top of the other. At the moment is only Cat 4. That is just a very windy day in southern Hawkes Bay - roaring 40s.
It is tracking and predicted to miss the bulk of the population. But all could change of course. At the moment I am not sweating. Stay tuned. But they took a big hit with tourism after Pam - 5 yrs ago. Not totally recovered - and along comes Wuflu and has knocked that for a 6. Hard to see them financially recovering in any short time - esp if dealing with cyclone damage. The last of the Pam road reconstruction was completed around Dec.
Vinnie - when this is all over I am happy to send you some fresh bunny. Don't worry for the whitebait - no need to trade - I have a mate here who is an avid catcher. Has his own private spot. Don't forget to remind me. I may have a vacuum packer by then -:).
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:43pm
That makes alot of sense baitcatcher,I didn't look at it that way. Cheers man.

-------------

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm
Oceans are delivering to homes in some parts Of Auckland check their website.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 2:30pm

What!       No one eating fish or seafood? 😷🐟🦐

-------------
Vinnie      wash your hands and please stay in your bubble 😷🤒😤 😎 .
I know the fish are on the bite!

Posted By: lingee
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 2:51pm
gunard tonight with chips and eggs. misses baking alot again been a while. like years ago when kids at home.put a stew on for tomorrow nite best the next day.venison sauages next nite ,all good.clad kids left and have there familys i have time for veg garden and beers

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:08pm
We're chomping through our frozen supplies of scallops and snapper. Snapper is 6 months old. Although the snapper is vacuum packed, it's got a slight fishy taste to it. Not bad, but not grade A. We also have smoked marlin and kingfish loins to get through Thumbs Up

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

We're chomping through our frozen supplies of scallops and snapper. Snapper is 6 months old. Although the snapper is vacuum packed, it's got a slight fishy taste to it. Not bad, but not grade A. We also have smoked marlin and kingfish loins to get through Thumbs Up

Snapper that has a slight fishy smell... well who'd have thought?! LOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm

Hi, try dipping your fillets in a salt soultion for 15minutes and drain then vacuum and freeze, you will not get that fishy taste as it won't get as freezer burned ,and I think your fish well lasts much longer,
When cooking you fillets just remember to add less salt.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by baitcatcher baitcatcher wrote:

Hi, try dipping your fillets in a salt soultion for 15minutes and drain then vacuum and freeze, you will not get that fishy taste as it won't get as freezer burned ,and I think your fish well lasts much longer,
When cooking you fillets just remember to add less salt.

Not that I have tried, but I got told by an old timer to freeze your fish in a container filled with salt water... I must try it some day...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

You know what I mean! Slightly too fishy.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm
"Not that I have tried, but I got told by an old timer to freeze your fish in a container filled with salt water... I must try it some day..."

That is how I do my paua. Works well.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm

So,    now your calling me a Old Timer.🤧

-------------

Posted By: RockCrashing
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:56pm
Not exactly a dinner meal, more like a "bite" sized snack which happens to be my wife's favourite snackWink 

Ingredients for the topping include smoked salmon, cream cheese, chives, avocado, black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice. 

and it goes really well with Pams Multigrain Light and Crispy Crackers, my wife's choice.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

You know what I mean! Slightly too fishy.

Yes...polite banter...EmbarrassedWink

bit like those that claim, have your tried albacore? tastes like chicken!... have you tried broadbill steaks? tastes like pork!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:59pm
Finished smoking the rack, wings and head of the salmon.
Nibbles while watching the roast chicken go round and round.
Finished vacuum packing the salmon, gurnard, scallops and broadbill.
Chilling the crays for tomorrow.
And I didn't get wet once and used no fuel in the boat.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:00pm
always freeze fish with skin on, holds and tastes better.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:01pm

Nice! I'm looking in my fridge right now!
(I do miss my low/slow 2hour Smoked Chilli Mussels in the half shell !

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm

Nice! I'm looking in my fridge right now!
(I do miss my low/slow 2hour Smoked Chilli Mussels in the half shell !

Why half shell, why do you eat half a mussel? LOLClown

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Not exactly a dinner meal, more like a "bite" sized snack which happens to be my wife's favourite snackWink 

Ingredients for the topping include smoked salmon, cream cheese, chives, avocado, black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice. 

and it goes really well with Pams Multigrain Light and Crispy Crackers, my wife's choice.

Very nice, Tu Meke!

-------------

Posted By: RockCrashing
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:28am

Very nice, Tu Meke!
Thank you Al Smile

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 9:07am
I haven't cooked a cray since I was a kid.
Seems I haven't lost the knack as far as her indoors were concerned.
Succulent in a lemon garlic butter sauce on a parsnip carrot pumpkin purée.
A few beans for colour.

-------------

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 9:25am

I haven't cooked a cray since I was a kid.
Seems I haven't lost the knack as far as her indoors were concerned.
Succulent in a lemon garlic butter sauce on a parsnip carrot pumpkin purée.
A few beans for colour.

Mattoo ... I intend billing you for a new keyboard after you post made me dribble all over my current one rendering it defunct.

Did you serve it chilled, hot or warm ... reckon it would be superb
regardless.

One small point that might slightly improve the presentation aesthetically would be to shell the broad beans which improves the colour significantly also makes them taste sweeter also a sprinkle of fine diced carrot mixed in visually enhances.

No need to thank me for the tips, a simple invitation to your next meal of crays will suffice !  

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
You'll have to join the queue.
Wife took photo and sent to friend and got the same dribble result.

Not into presentation, that's thrown on the plate waiting for the cook to get rid of photographer.

Beans would be a problem though as they were endamme beans.

And it was hot bazza,
Though the prize for dribble went to my wife, as she made such a mess eating she had to wash her dressing gown.
If I looked like a cray she would of devoured me, even the cat gave her room.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:25pm
Hi Mattoo
Nice Plump looking Crays,your 3 vegetable puree,
is very fine-dining!
I did check my letter box for the Invite!       "Nothing at all!!!"

Vinnie

-------------

Posted By: Fishful Thinking
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:47pm
Very nice.

None in sight, but for the entree try tuatua in the half shell with a mix of white wine, lemon juice and a bit of tobasco. Then grated cheese over the top, go tastier, with a sprinkle of black pepper over the lot. Grill until the cheese melts, just caramelises. Swoop and scoop.

-------------
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 11:30am
Dinner last night from out of the freezer,
vac pac Flounder and frozen half shell Mussels

Pan fried Flounder with steamed garlic Mussels, potato/pumpkin parmesan mash,spinach,capers with brown butter & parsley sauce.
tasted very nice!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:06pm
Could kill a nice fresh snapper fillet

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 3:16pm
over all this cooking ,tonight we are having a pie each with mash spuds and greens,then a beer a little tv and bed. no not that lucky at my age ,it will be me and the dog reading a book,yes he needs his glasses for his book.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:34pm
It was my first time to cook broadbill steaks.

Can't recommend broadbill at all.
See what I mean.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:40pm

It was my first time to cook broadbill steaks.

Can't recommend broadbill at all.
See what I mean.

Looks tasteless Mattoo. Actually broadbill IMO is one of the tastiest fish in the sea and your plate is testament to that. I haven't had fish for a week. Pretty sure there's a kilo of snapper fillets in the freezer though

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:42pm
Crikey, when all this is over I think I'll invite myself to Vinnie's for dinner. Some great looking dishes here. I only know how to fry stuff

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:48pm
Hate to admit it Smudge,

Don't need the competition.

But your dead right that was fabulous fish.
Be doing sashimi and seared and smoked broadbill tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:05pm

Prawn fried rice

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:07pm
Had Pink Maomao tonight with a selection of roasted veges.
Only had it for the 1st time about 3 months ago when caught a few while out deep hunting Bluenose. Definitely a new favourite, mate knows not to throw them back now Smile

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:45pm
Hi Smudge
Your welcome anytime......
Just need to take me out on "Smudge 2"
To maybe your secret🕶 Gurnard spot....😊.,say some day in June😊,I'm free on Sunday's😉😊.

You can name any type of food you like,I can cook all types of food...... all cuisines from anywhere in the world.

To nites dinner

5hour slow cooked garlic infused Lamb leg,all the usual trimming & Steps rosemary(stolen cutting👌) home - made gravy.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:52pm
If your going to post pics like that you need to give the recipe. That looks good.

-------------

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:14pm

Hi Smudge
To maybe your secret🕶 Gurnard spot....😊.,say some day in June😊,I'm free on Sunday's😉😊.

You can name any type of food you like,I can cook all types of food...... all cuisines from anywhere in the world.

To nites dinner

5hour slow cooked garlic infused Lamb leg,all the usual trimming & Steps rosemary(stolen cutting👌) home - made gravy.

Looks awesome Vinnie,
Still drool when I remember all the food you brought for last years Gurnard comp. If Smudge can't take you this year I'm happy to take you again, have those spots marked from last time WinkSmile

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Hi Smudge

To nites dinner

Looks awesome Vinnie,
Still drool when I remember all the food you brought for last years Gurnard comp. If Smudge can't take you this year I'm happy to take you again, have those spots marked from last time WinkSmile

Hehe not only is Vinnie good company but he brings the best lunch! Be good to do it again vinnie

-------------

Print Page | Close Window