Print Page | Close Window

Hauraki Gulf Withering Away

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=133082
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:32am

Topic: Hauraki Gulf Withering Away
Posted By: Catchelot
Subject: Hauraki Gulf Withering Away
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:07pm

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/breakfast/clips/hauraki-gulf-withering-away-on-verge-of-environmental-collapse" rel="nofollow - https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/breakfast/clips/hauraki-gulf-withering-away-on-verge-of-environmental-collapse

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Replies:
Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Hmm. Not me I don't fish in Waitemata. Need to put about 50% into no fishing reserve and restock and monitor what happens and then look at it again in five years.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm
Watch Bounty fishing on Sunday,interesting as it was on the penguins at the The Noisies,almost state of collapse for the gulf as the penguins are travelling up to 10k away in search of food and that is a sign of collapse according to doc staff on the show,the GULF is proberly in a worst state than we think.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: KCfishing
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:11pm
That's very worrying. What we should be doing now is:
1) attempting to recover the system in the Gulf
2) maybe even more importantly, learning from this failure and start protecting the remaining areas where the fish populations are a bit more abundant, e.g. Northland. Now, before its too late.

Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper, and have a family of 6 on a boat, that's 18 snapper on one trip for some. There needs to be a complete culture change, a different way of looking at this 'free-to-all' resource that the ocean has been. The pressures of commercial fishing are definitely doing a lot of damage, but we can do much better too. 

Somehow people need to realize that while the fish stocks can be renewable, under the current circumstances they've become a finite resource

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
I fear still nothing will change.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:01pm
KCfishing   Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,

Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.

BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.

-------------

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:25pm
I dunno, this for me is always some lobby group trying to gain power over decisions regarding the Gulf with “crisis” headlines. Seen this pop up on Facebook.

Speak for yourselves but I have no trouble finding abundance of fish.
And come across a heap of life and that is just inshore in my kayak. I can predict what the fish are doing and where they will be biting based on simply experience built on not that many years compared to some of you lot.

I think in the past you must have been able to walk to Coro on the backs of fish, dolphins and whales.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:25pm
All well and good dropping the rec take on Snapper but that won't help the crayfish population...or all the other environmental problems that the gulf has such as sewage and farm run off, etc...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

All well and good dropping the rec take on Snapper but that won't help the crayfish population...or all the other environmental problems that the gulf has such as sewage and farm run off, etc...
Al if the recc take was dropped to say 3 snapper 2 gurnard 1 king and 3 ky think you will the market will flood with boats unless everyone took up water skiing.
I go out with the nephew and normally get our limit,$100 each fuel tackle food bait. 95% of fish is distributed amongst the elderly who cannot afford fish. If limit was reduced drastically might as well support comms and buy fish for elderly.

I know its a pastime but for some it is way of life to feed family,you know 6 in 16 fter 42 snapper goes along way.

-------------

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
The amount of crap we pump into Auckland harbour each day / year I'm not surprised. After comparing fillets from the waitimata to other snaps around westcoast outer gulf etc I want touch the ****. And all comes down to what there feeding on . Land animals the same . Turkey., chicken, beef,fish , I know I'm getting of subject but plays a big part in the eco system

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
I am a slack inconsistent fisherman. I don't go often enough, or get passionate enough, to create a system to log a d learn of what /where works.
I go out on to the worm beds, near reefs and try my luck...
If I am lucky I go home with 6 or 7 fish on the boat.
Once, in the last 12 months, we got 18 snapper.
Mind you, I don't spend heaps on huge baits or kilo upon kilo of burley.
My normal catch rate is about 5 undersized to each keeper.

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Posted By: Sanchez
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:08pm
Its in the uk papers too. Co ordinated media thing. Reading this and you'd think snapper are very hard to find . . . agree its not great out there everyday tho. I know it wont happen but i would love to ban trawling for three years and see what happens. . .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/11/we-used-to-be-leaders-the-collapse-of-new-zealands-landmark-ocean-park" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/11/we-used-to-be-leaders-the-collapse-of-new-zealands-landmark-ocean-park

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:37pm
Its great most days though.

When the Guardian is approached to run the story you know there are dark forces disguised as woke at play.

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:07pm
I know this won't happen but they need to stop fishing during the spawning months for that species. We all know how easy it is to catch the bigger fish during these months but should let them do there thing to increase stock levels that includes the sea rapests commercial boats. But money rules always will

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:46am
Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

I know this won't happen but they need to stop fishing during the spawning months for that species. We all know how easy it is to catch the bigger fish during these months but should let them do there thing to increase stock levels that includes the sea rapests commercial boats. But money rules always will
spawning is when?? as the water temp needs to be 18c and above they can spawn twice.

-------------

Posted By: Lowbox
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:07am
Stop sediment run-off into the gulf, (the impacts of the Sky City fire seem to be quite big in the harbour this year) ban commercials from the gulf - and stop all dredging, lower the rec limits and increase minimum size.

Reckon it would come right if we all did our bit. If we all do nothing we'll get a continued deterioration.

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:04am
Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

KCfishing   Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,

BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.

PJC your comment is just typical of a recreational who just wont let go of this vs them mentality (rec vs commercial) that is widely propagated by advocacy groups. Yes commercial fishing has a big impact on fish stocks yet if I was to read between the lines you seem to place the blame solely with them and refuse to accept the recreational dont impact on fish stocks. So I gather that the only thing you and know doubt others got from this short interview is that the HG ecosystem is in trouble purely because of commercial fishing and not from any other factors especially those that come from having NZ biggest city right on the door step of the HG

Posted By: Garry 23041
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:00am
Gumboot, I have had the same idea, but problem is in my mind if for instance you ban snapper fishing from Oct to Dec to cover some likely spawning periods the fishermen, private and commercial will turn there gaze on other species and decimate bluenose, kings, etc. I would love to see it go a step further and ban any fishing of any kind by anybody from Oct 1st to Christmas! Easy to police and fair to all. Paint the house, sharpen your hooks and wait...

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

<span id="userPro4" ="msgsidepro"="" title="View Drop Down" style="-sizing: border-;">KCfishing   </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.</span>
</span>

PJC your comment is just typical of a recreational who just wont let go of this vs them mentality (rec vs commercial) that is widely propagated by advocacy groups. Yes commercial fishing has a big impact on fish stocks yet if I was to read between the lines you seem to place the blame solely with them and refuse to accept the recreational dont impact on fish stocks. So I gather that the only thing you and know doubt others got from this short interview is that the HG ecosystem is in trouble purely because of commercial fishing and not from any other factors especially those that come from having NZ biggest city right on the door step of the HG

Personally I think the cause of the stock decline is from all sectors. Recs like to think it's not them, but then refuse to give accurate numbers on what's being taken. Commercial will take what they can within legal limits to fill their pockets. The gulf needs to take a large quota cut, everybody. Pointing fingers won't solve a thing.
On the matter of the video, it looked very one sided to me as to who was to blame. A shot of a boat loaded with rods n reels, and several references to the public thinking there's an endless supply. No reference to trawling or the likes. My 2c.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:47am
Excellent post, Kitno. 
As a dad of two youngsters, I want them to have a chance to fish in the Waitemata and the Gulf when they grow up, and i'm willing to make some sacrifices now to ensure that's the case. If I'm honest, I don't need to catch limits. I enjoy eating fish as much as the next person, but I fish for the love of the 'sport' that's in my blood as much as the feed afterwards.

We only have to look across the Tasman to see how closed seasons and very small bag limits have been introduced to see our potential future. But if those steps need to be taken, so be it.

I do see some of the Facebook live feeds etc of charters filling their bins with snapper from the middle Gulf in work up season and wonder how many fish are being taken now using modern lure fishing methods than never used to be - in those depths, and with that regularity. 
A couple of times last spring I came across absolute flotillas of rec boats in Whangaparaoa Bay, between Kawau and Tiri - dozens and dozens of boats with people pulling in fish left right and centre. And afterwards I thought 'man, we're going to have to watch it'.

Thousands of new homes are being built north of the city (it's staggering if you drive north to see them spreading out to the horizon). If a fraction of the new residents have boats (and they certainly will) it's a huge increase in pressure on the northern sector of the fishery. Add all the new homes at Flat Bush, Drury etc and they'll all be heading to Kawakawa Bay/Maraetai.

Of course any potential hit to the commercial take is likely to be watered down as long as some of the current politicians with links to fishing industry are enjoying the 'baubles of office'.

No easy answers. Being staunch in defence of our 'rights as Kiwis' may be flying in the face of the reality.

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 10:20am
It's gotta come from all sides.

The rec bag limits are still bonkers. Drop it to 5 per person for Snapper, 1 Kingfish, 10 "other". Still a truckload of fish, especially if there's a few of you on a boat.

Ban inshore trawling and dredging (in fact, ban dredging, period), anything that stuffs the sea-bed. Encourage more selective harvesting methods with higher quality outputs. Not a big fan of purse seiners either, that come along and scoop up whole schools of baitfish that the rest of the foodchain need to snack on.

We're not going to get anywhere when the two sides (comm and rec) just point at each other and say "they should take the cut". Both entities should. We need to encourage some more innovation in the comm fish sector, beyond "take as much as you can and export it"; just look at the live Crayfish export sector, getting way more $ per cray than they were back in the days of whipping the tails off and freezing them. If the cost for the consumer goes up, so be it. The current product being delivered to the average joe via the supermarket tends to be complete **** anyway, from the perspective of someone that tends to eat fish less than 6 hours after it was still swimming. Get quota back in the hands of the people doing the fishing; encourage wharf sales and direct outlets, cut out all the middle-men that are clipping the ticket for doing three-fifths of bugger all. More money in the fishermen's pockets per fish mean they don't have to catch as many to make the same income, sweet as.

As above though, it's fairly obvious that while certain politicians are still taking bribes, err I mean accepting donations, from the big players in the fishing industry, that the status quo is just going to continue.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:19pm
One part of the gulf seems to not be running out of fish despite being hammered day after day by recs... The Coromandel mussel farms..

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

One part of the gulf seems to not be running out of fish despite being hammered day after day by recs... The Coromandel mussel farms..
No comms,but we reccs will slowly kill it.
1st april to 1st september the longliners will be back inshore,clevedon flats,as "Steps" will know plenty of snapper april+ may and a bit of june. not the biggest and a lot of throw back at 29cm just the right size for lomgliners.

-------------

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:56pm
Does anyone have the info on tonnes of commercial catch exported vs that kept for NZ sales. Or a percentage. is it 80%/20% or ???
I appreciate there are not that many fleets/boats 100% NZ owned, but imagine a NZ fishery that caught fish entirely for NZer's, and the reduction in catch we could colectively make to satisfy our own needs not that of the growing worlds populations. Crayfish included....

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Does anyone have the info on tonnes of commercial catch exported vs that kept for NZ sales. Or a percentage. is it 80%/20% or ???
I appreciate there are not that many fleets/boats 100% NZ owned, but imagine a NZ fishery that caught fish entirely for NZer's, and the reduction in catch we could colectively make to satisfy our own needs not that of the growing worlds populations. Crayfish included....

You mean something like this

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

No comms,but we reccs will slowly kill it.
1st april to 1st september the longliners will be back inshore,clevedon flats,as "Steps" will know plenty of snapper april+ may and a bit of june. not the biggest and a lot of throw back at 29cm just the right size for lomgliners.

That just might happen, I have never fished those farms.
Fishing for me is more a day out on the water than a collection exercise.

-------------

Posted By: letsgetem
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
Ive heard a estimate of 17% for snapper bio-mass in Hauraki Gulf . Does anyone have a reference to substantiate that?

Posted By: v8-coupe
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

<span id="userPro4" ="msgsidepro"="" title="View Drop Down" style="-sizing: border-;">KCfishing   </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.</span>
</span>

Personally I think the cause of the stock decline is from all sectors. Recs like to think it's not them, but then refuse to give accurate numbers on what's being taken. Commercial will take what they can within legal limits to fill their pockets. The gulf needs to take a large quota cut, everybody. Pointing fingers won't solve a thing.
On the matter of the video, it looked very one sided to me as to who was to blame. A shot of a boat loaded with rods n reels, and several references to the public thinking there's an endless supply. No reference to trawling or the likes. My 2c.

And the specific mention of "pulling seven out of the water".

-------------
Legasea Legend Member

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:09pm
Imagine having another 83% of snapper.

Truly you would catch F all else 😂

With regards to snapper well the comms took the majority of the magic missing 83% in the 70s and 80s.

But we are going round in circles, the Gulf is certainly not desolate. Changing yes but the fish will adapt.

Seems they want to try everything but the bleeding obvious, ban comms for 10 years at least and let’s see how much damage recs do then. We know what the damage the comms inflicted.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Imagine having another 83% of snapper.

Truly you would catch F all else 😂

With regards to snapper well the comms took the majority of the magic missing 83% in the 70s and 80s.

But we are going round in circles, the Gulf is certainly not desolate. Changing yes but the fish will adapt.

Seems they want to try everything but the bleeding obvious, ban comms for 10 years at least and let’s see how much damage recs do then. We know what the damage the comms inflicted.

As an example - the Comms gave up 3 mths of fishing in the Hawke Bay this summer - to defined points.  Didn't take a cut in fish - just got the same amount elsewhere. Everybody has commented on how good the fishing was this summer. I know people that have fished both there and where I fish this summer (40-50k sth). My son has fished off napier a few times this summer with a boatie mate. Last w/end was a slow day for them. We never all summer saw anything close to their slow day. Our fishing has been crap for the last 2 months. But then we have had extra trawlers also - on any one day - a green one, blue, red or white. Take your pick.
Our fishing is s...t and napier fishing best for years.
Do the sums. The amount of damage they do to a fishery is quite significant.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:49pm
They don’t trawl the East Coast Bays anymore up here. Look out for our gurnard reports in winter, brilliant and getting better. And seasonal you don’t need to target one species all year round which is something I avoid.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/11/we-used-to-be-leaders-the-collapse-of-new-zealands-landmark-ocean-park?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR30eVoVeXAq7l3RE6wxbYyIm0OaaiC-plLJMvBIMwiD622CKzqT4j7OEpA#Echobox=1583923182" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/11/we-used-to-be-leaders-the-collapse-of-new-zealands-landmark-ocean-park?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR30eVoVeXAq7l3RE6wxbYyIm0OaaiC-plLJMvBIMwiD622CKzqT4j7OEpA#Echobox=1583923182

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:34am

Ok "TZER"  
Who destroyed the kahawai school during the 70/80s and sold to watties for canned pet food?? not reccs
Who is still catch kahawai and exporting for $1.80/$2.20 for pet food/cray bait??not reccs
Who is using old trawl methods(diamond mesh)so when nst tightens mesh closes and any small under fish gets trapped squashed rendered useless and discarded?? not reccs
Who is using jigs/plastic increased hook size/recurves etc to reduce undersize?? reccs

Non quota holders(contractors)go sea to catch for quota holder to be told the price has droped we dont want your fish now,who then dumps it?? QMS at its finest,not.

comms (vessel owner) need to own quota then be able sell to ever they like,direct off the boat direct resturants etc.
Have a look at the Faroe Islands.
Comms lease from the Govt and able to sell to who ever
https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management" rel="nofollow - https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

Fishing licenses may only be granted to Faroese owned operators and in order to acquire a license, a person or an owner of a company must have been domiciled in the Faroe Islands for at least 2 years, as well as this, companies or persons must be registered and pay taxes in the Faroe Islands and crews on-board vessels must be paid according to Faroese labour market rules and agreements.

"Tzer" you are ex commercial and will always find in commercial interest regardless of what any advocacy group does. It may seem to you these groups have done little but where we would be today without them??

-------------

Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:43pm
And dont forget the blue mackeral,up to 16000 t peak catch per year off our N.E coast. Still being purse seined,still sold at cost.
Thats another fish i used to value,but now largely gone from the gulf.

Kahawai ,now seen in nowhere the numbers they were ,even as late as 2015. Seem to have vanished since then. Where have they gone. I didnt catch them all.

If people want to look at hg gulf fish stocks,then they need to look much further than the gulf. Excepting some reef fish ,most of what we target and catch move into and out from the gulf with the seasons.

Very emotive ,trying to paint a negative picture. 
Words like" withering away ,pathway to oblivion,how badly we have treated the gulf,helping our selves" .
I have not treated the gulf badly. 

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:46pm
Withering away my arse.

Was abundant yet again this morning no worries absolute tonnes of baitfish, snapper, kings and kahawai.

Guess my fishfinder and eyes must be lying.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:55pm

Ok "TZER"  
Who destroyed the kahawai school during the 70/80s and sold to watties for canned pet food?? not reccs
Who is still catch kahawai and exporting for $1.80/$2.20 for pet food/cray bait??not reccs
Who is using old trawl methods(diamond mesh)so when nst tightens mesh closes and any small under fish gets trapped squashed rendered useless and discarded?? not reccs
Who is using jigs/plastic increased hook size/recurves etc to reduce undersize?? reccs

Non quota holders(contractors)go sea to catch for quota holder to be told the price has droped we dont want your fish now,who then dumps it?? QMS at its finest,not.

comms (vessel owner) need to own quota then be able sell to ever they like,direct off the boat direct resturants etc.
Have a look at the Faroe Islands.
Comms lease from the Govt and able to sell to who ever
https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management" rel="nofollow - https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

Fishing licenses may only be granted to Faroese owned operators and in order to acquire a license, a person or an owner of a company must have been domiciled in the Faroe Islands for at least 2 years, as well as this, companies or persons must be registered and pay taxes in the Faroe Islands and crews on-board vessels must be paid according to Faroese labour market rules and agreements.

"Tzer" you are ex commercial and will always find in commercial interest regardless of what any advocacy group does. It may seem to you these groups have done little but where we would be today without them??

PJC good rant but regardless of whether I am an ex commercial or not, in my opinion the fact still remains and your reply backs up my comment. Recreational refuse to accept any blame what's so ever in any demise of the HG let alone in any other area of NZ that has a high population. Yes commercial had a huge impact on fish stocks pre QMS especially in the 70's & 80's there's no denying that but what of the many historic photos that occasionally pop up from, time to time showing great numbers of fish especially snapper caught by recreational back in the 50's & 60's know doubt our fathers & grandfathers probably thought that things would be OK for their future generations. Both sectors have over the years seen many changes in the way they catch fish and please dont tell me that all rec's use the methods you describe, a lot still fish old school, j hooks and bait.

Please tell me just what exactly have all the advocacy groups have actually achieved other than to further propagate the anti commercialism sentiment and before you comment back stating the Kahawai Legal Challenge and the Bill fish moratorium, I see little else achieved.
Also what does the Faroe Island have to do with the way NZ fisheries are managed given that their population is less in size than a lot of NZ cities.

Posted By: Brad76
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:39pm
Recreational fishing takes a **** ton of fish.
Make more marine reserves and change the way we take limits of fish.

Get rid of minimum size limits and maximum numbers of fish allowed per day.

Let people take a 25cm snapper if they really want to waste their time.

Instead of a size and amount limit put in place a total measured limit of fish per person.

30cm x7 fish equals 210cm of snapper
Why not make the total fish take around 180cm all up.
This way you can either take 6 @ 30cm or 3 @60cm so on and so on.

If you want to take 20cm Snapper then you can take 9.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Brad76 Brad76 wrote:

Instead of a size and amount limit put in place a total measured limit of fish per person.

I had a MPI fisheries guy mention something very similar to this many years ago.
Why have a size limit as long as you stick to bag limits, this would solve a lot of undersize fish being kept by some ethnic groups who prefer the smaller fish.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
I can't see why there is argument about who.

Recs and commercial have been living and foraging in paridise on this virgin land for centuries..

And we have all raped it.

We have raped it without consideration for consequences.

We are all complicit.

Though the management have been vacant in result or concern.
That's our fault for letting It happen.
It is without doubt that the commercial considerations have been the largest contributor to this descercration of our resources.
That is frankly obvious.
Pretty easy to look to every other country in the world to see that.
So that's not a justifiable argument.

That is because money is involved.
Forget the promo's of sustainable fishing with great methods.
That's a con.

As for recs we have done as much destruction in our own way.

Why because we could and the weakness of our leadership through government allowed and we took advantage of it.

Front up for your responsibilities for this resource.
I don't mean just accepting recs fishing .
I mean stopping the governments in allowing our resources to be depleted.
Shout louder, be proactive, be engaged physically besides this tool. Engage your self in protecting that which you say you covert.

Stop being sheep.

It will only ever change if you get physically involved.

Otherwise you get what you deserve as we all have now cos you sit on your arses doing nothing other than rant about it.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:34pm

I had a MPI fisheries guy mention something very similar to this many years ago.
Why have a size limit as long as you stick to bag limits, this would solve a lot of undersize fish being kept by some ethnic groups who prefer the smaller fish.

If you want small fish then fish for smaller species.

Minimum sizes are set for spawning reasons, aren't they?

Agree to a certain extent Mattoo with your points. As on another thread seems we need to buy our way in.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

If you want small fish then fish for smaller species.

Minimum sizes are set for spawning reasons, aren't they?

Agree to a certain extent Mattoo with your points. As on another thread seems we need to buy our way in.

I believe that what msl are set for but still doesn't mean to say that there isn't room for discussion around lowering limits. Bare in mind most New Zealanders would only take fish of a reasonable size and that we already have varying size limits for around the country

Posted By: Wanda_Ra
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:09pm
One of the Biggest things i think is contributing to the fishing decline is the wholesale taking of baitfish by the comms guys. Pick many brands of cans of of catfood up at the supermarket, even cans produced in Aussie and it says NZ kahawai, piper,jack macks,one even says nz whitebait, etc etc.  Also a crap-ton of bait fish is used to make the fish pellets used to feed the salmon farms.

Is also the same reason i refuse to buy " bullet Tuna" for bait.

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 10:07pm
Agree with that Wanda. KY have been absent this year. Prefer them to snapper. Found some today but they were small, feeding on small anchovie schools. Question. Who here could bin 7 snapper each outing this year in the gulf apart from muppet ? Im average i admit but I would wager this year i could have taken a full snapper bin only 20 % of the time. If that. So if i represent a reasonable amount of recs taking a limit cut wouldnt really help things would it ?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 5:49am
😂

Well you see the trick is not to target just snapper funnily enough.

Getting around that will eliminate the zilch days.

Agree on not seeing too many Kahawai but you do know they can be fussy? We came across some yesterday and I only got one long skinny one among a number herding the anchovy’s.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 6:26am
I dont target snapper mostly muppet. Im not sure what you mean but my point is if less skilled fishos than you did target snapper. . . could they even get their 7 limit IF they wanted too ? And what percentage of days would that happen for them. Some on this thread have suggested cutting rec limits as part of a solution and I dont think thats going to help much at all.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 6:42am
My point is I ain't been an NZ fisho as long as some of you and more than others.

There are still plenty of fish but that does not mean your "right" to catch one should be easy.
You say less skilled I say up skill, they should learn more about fish, habitat, tide, etc.
Because if you are not then really you are not a fisherman. I am a better fisho than I was 10 years ago but still learning.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 7:12am
Agree with all that muppet. I'm trying to keep it simple though and ask a question on the value of reducing rec limits. I don't take 7 even when I can. This being a 'right' is not what I'm saying either. But there are so many days that I couldn't take 7 even if I wanted too. 

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 7:41am
You could if you wanted knowing that since the size increase for snapper rec catch has dropped 30% and comms gone up by the same margin.   

If we take a stance that it is our fault they will keep taking away from us.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:03pm
this from an ex commercial fisherman

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/120381250/fisherman-takes-shot-at-govts-aquaculture-goal-and-its-environmental-myth" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/120381250/fisherman-takes-shot-at-govts-aquaculture-goal-and-its-environmental-myth

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 2:24pm
Judging by our charter trip yesterday you would have thought the Gulf is indeed empty.

Apart from the fact our first spot was actually producing good numbers of gurnard. The skipper decided motoring about was better than sticking to spots dropping our line in water time dramatically.

Hence upon return to base at Z pier the other boats had you guessed it done very well.
Again I thank the fishing gods I am the only skipper on my humble kayak and my learning on fish habits is always being finely tuned.

Posted By: the croc
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 8:37am
There is lots to be worried about in the Hauraki Gulf, but the Hauraki Gulf snapper population increased 87% between 1987 and 2010.
The last assessment was 2013, lots of anecdotal information that it has continued trending upwards. It's been good fishing lately anyway.

Kahawai is also in good shape. Last assessed in 2015. 

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
Suspect snapper are survivors filling the gap of other species that have not done so well..

Another thought. How safe to eat are fish from the inner gulf,upper harbour ,and for that matter manukau harbour or any urban harbour .

Has any testing of sediment ever been done.
Noticed this week that renewed warnings from sydney not to eat fish from above harbour bridge,and limit consumption from other areas due to high dioxin,heavy metals and other cancer causing substance in sediment that gets into the food chain and thus the fish which people consume.
Could it be similar here.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 11:30am
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/410505/report-paints-grim-picture-of-hauraki-gulf-marine-park?fbclid=IwAR3izUVS9ss-pNgL0_G-XHxmZtu9gkxEy706fjx5snnKPpVnZL2uDZy0zeI" rel="nofollow - https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/410505/report-paints-grim-picture-of-hauraki-gulf-marine-park?fbclid=IwAR3izUVS9ss-pNgL0_G-XHxmZtu9gkxEy706fjx5snnKPpVnZL2uDZy0zeI

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:19pm
https://infocouncil.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Open/2020/02/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_files/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_Attachment_73187_1.PDF" rel="nofollow - https://infocouncil.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Open/2020/02/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_files/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_Attachment_73187_1.PDF
report february 2020
Well worth the read,
 We are taking more fish commercially. The total reported commercial catch of fish in the most recent threeyear period was around 30% greater than in three-years before Marine Park was established. The mix of fish caught commercially in the Park has shifted. There has been a major shift in the relative proportions of the two key fish species landed commercially. Around 34% less tāmure (snapper) and 470% more blue mackerel were landed in the latest 3-year period compared to when the Park was established. The increase in blue mackerel is likely to reflect changes in where they are being caught (i.e. in the Marine Park), rather than a change in the overall catch.

Stocks of some fish species have needed rebuilding. Tāmure and tarakihi were at levels where action was needed to actively rebuild their stocks (less than 20% of unfished stock biomass). Actions have been taken, and the rebuild of these stocks towards target levels is expected.

Tamure is snapper.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Suspect snapper are survivors filling the gap of other species that have not done so well..

Another thought. How safe to eat are fish from the inner gulf,upper harbour ,and for that matter manukau harbour or any urban harbour .

Noticed this week that renewed warnings from sydney not to eat fish from above harbour bridge,and limit consumption from other areas due to high dioxin,heavy metals and other cancer causing substance in sediment that gets into the food chain and thus the fish which people consume.

It's an issue in some areas like taking shellfish from Porirua Harbour. 

Quite a lot of testing is done in New Zealand on heavy metals etc as some export markets require it. 

This is an old study on Hauraki Gulf snapper. I assume things have got better: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288330.1975.9515565

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 5:29pm

https://infocouncil.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Open/2020/02/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_files/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_Attachment_73187_1.PDF" rel="nofollow - https://infocouncil.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Open/2020/02/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_files/HGF_20200217_AGN_9629_AT_Attachment_73187_1.PDF
report february 2020
Well worth the read,
 We are taking more fish commercially. The total reported commercial catch of fish in the most recent threeyear period was around 30% greater than in three-years before Marine Park was established. The mix of fish caught commercially in the Park has shifted. There has been a major shift in the relative proportions of the two key fish species landed commercially. Around 34% less tāmure (snapper) and 470% more blue mackerel were landed in the latest 3-year period compared to when the Park was established. The increase in blue mackerel is likely to reflect changes in where they are being caught (i.e. in the Marine Park), rather than a change in the overall catch.

Stocks of some fish species have needed rebuilding. Tāmure and tarakihi were at levels where action was needed to actively rebuild their stocks (less than 20% of unfished stock biomass). Actions have been taken, and the rebuild of these stocks towards target levels is expected.

Tamure is snapper.

Very one sided article largely aimed at commercial & development but no reference to recreational fishes in the opening statement.

Interesting to note though reading further down, yet recreational gulf fishers dont think their part of the problem.
"Ms Peart said recreational fishing may also need to be better managed, although its impact was unclear because it was mostly unregulated"

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:29pm
Graph by Bruce Hartill from NIWA: 

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/28365-recreational-fishing-surveys-explained-were-counting-on-you

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by the croc the croc wrote:

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

It's an issue in some areas like taking shellfish from Porirua Harbour. 

Quite a lot of testing is done in New Zealand on heavy metals etc as some export markets require it. 

This is an old study on Hauraki Gulf snapper. I assume things have got better: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288330.1975.9515565

Interesting chart.thanks for putting it up. Big variation in mercury levels between areas. bop seems high. would the paper mills have any thing to do with that. Big difference between AK east and west coast
Wonder if testing has been done for dioxins,pcbs etc.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 12:44am
Keep in mind the above data is old and probably when direct pollution was the worst. The Hutt River in Wellington runs way cleaner now than it used to for example.

Personally I wouldn't be eating shellfish from the inner harbour areas around Auckland but would be totally fine with eating scallops from Cornwallis or around Waiheke. I wouldn't worry about snapper.

I was trying to find this yesterday but couldn't remember what is was called.

There is the National Chemical Residues Programme (NCRP).

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-monitoring-and-surveillance/monitoring-programmes-under-the-animal-products-act/national-chemical-residues-programme/documents-for-ncrp/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-monitoring-and-surveillance/monitoring-programmes-under-the-animal-products-act/national-chemical-residues-programme/documents-for-ncrp/

And also the separate but related Seafood Monitoring Programmes

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-monitoring-and-surveillance/monitoring-programmes-under-the-animal-products-act/seafood-monitoring-programmes/" rel="nofollow - https://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-monitoring-and-surveillance/monitoring-programmes-under-the-animal-products-act/seafood-monitoring-programmes/

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 5:39am
When growing up and boating with Dad,he always said never to take shellfish from the inner harbour,.Take a line from Whangaparoa to Gardners gap(rangitoto) Emu rock(rangi) to ocean side motuhihi across to Musik pt.That was back in the 70s.Now with pine harbour open the mussels around beachland are stuffed,being good filters uneadible,the pipi bed at Te Puru covered in sludge. from pollution
Fish caught in the harbour I would think would be safe as most are visitors Any time we have a toxic bloom it is always mentioned not to take pipi/cockle/scallop+ mussels probably due to being filters

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:20am
Yep two of the biggest negative drivers in the Hauraki Gulf are polluted storm water and sedimentation from deforested waterways.

People always pick on fishing first beause it's low hanging fruit and relatively cheap and easy to make changes. (Job done, walk away get reelected etc).

Fixing storm water and sedimentation issues will take decades and will cost millions and millions. Not so politically attractive.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by the croc the croc wrote:

[QUOTE=cirrus]Suspect snapper are survivors filling the gap of other species that

Croc - I suspect the mercury (Hg) levels will remain high, for a long time. The problem was it got into the system in the first place. Generally fairly tightly bound to sediments etc. Got nowhere else to go in terms of biodegradability. Only way out is via the harvested biomass or pollution by dilution - cleaner sediment.  Not sure what the origin would be - industrial of some sort I guess. Stormwater.
Native elevated Hg levels do occur in geothermal areas eg waikato river. The trout there and Taupo/Rotorua have elevated levels - in fairly young fish. Personally I would avoid them - I have a choice not to eat them. 0.5 ppm generally accepted as max safe level.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:08pm
Thanks Alan, good info.

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:08pm
wow that data is scary 

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:16pm

report february 2020
Well worth the read,

Tamure is snapper.

Very one sided article largely aimed at commercial & development but no reference to recreational fishes in the opening statement.

Interesting to note though reading further down, yet recreational gulf fishers dont think their part of the problem.
"Ms Peart said recreational fishing may also need to be better managed, although its impact was unclear because it was mostly unregulated"

Yeah I found the way that was written was a bit weird. The stats from the report show that both effort and the amount of fish caught commercially has dropped for pretty much all methods and species.

The only method that has increased by any real amount is purse seining and therefore the fish that are caught via purse seining. 

Print Page | Close Window