Print Page | Close Window

Furuno DB9 VS Simard evo3

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Newbies Corner
Forum Description: If you're new to fishing this is the place to ask any questions about getting started ...
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132892
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 7:24am

Topic: Furuno DB9 VS Simard evo3
Posted By: blueducksouth
Subject: Furuno DB9 VS Simard evo3
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 9:50pm
I'm looking for a new fish finders and would like to know peoples forts on the furuno DB9 and the Simard evo3.
I need to be able to read fish at 500m and good in the shallows.
I'm also wondering if with a big transducer like a 260 or 270 do they work in the shallow water or will I need 2 transducers.
I'm leaning towards the DB9 mainly because of the price of getting it with a 9" screen but I'm pretty green in this area and open to everyone's opinion.
Hopping someone can point me in the right direction and help me out.
Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:10am
I would recommend going to a few retailers and have a go at running the units through their menus as if you are adjusting your sounder or chart setup. Certain people prefer different approaches to menu arrangements. Personally I can't stand the furuno menu layout on their MFD touch screens. 

In terms of your transducer selection, I would advise paying close attention to the beamwidth angle. Ideally for accurate deep water work you will want a narrow angle transducer, and for trolling or shallow water fishing a wide beamwidth is usually preferable. Obviously you could go for something in the middle but it will not excel at either application.

Posted By: gmacx
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm
Not much in the narrow angle low bows until more powerful transducers as far as I know. 265LHW is a good option with 25 degree beams for high and low beams.

Cant comment on the fish finders - other than I think you should consider the equivalent garmins also.

Posted By: JBoffshore
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:45am
Gmacx, not entirely correct. Airmar offers a wide variety of 1KW transom mounts where you can get as low as 16 degree's on low frequency and still get up to 25 degrees on high. This is on a TM275LHW.

The Airmar website is particularly helpful and allows you to compare all of their transducers with a bottom coverage graph. 

Blueduck, if you go to the airmar website it will explain the transducers in depth. If you are looking for a transom mount you need to look at the products starting with TM. Its worth noting that in the grand scheme of things, 1kw isn't a particularly big transducer, and will still work very well in shallow water, in my opinion beamwidth is the big consideration.

Posted By: kemit
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:10am
When I first got my Blackdog Cat I install a Lowrance Elite-9 Ti with a Navionics Chart.
When traveling above 8 knots it would not pickup fish sign.
I have recently I have install a DB-9 paired with Airmar TM260 1kw along side my Lowrance. I only install the standard NZ chart on the DB-9 mainly to keep the price down and because I already had Navionics on my Lowrance.
At the higher speed I run Lowrance on the chart and the DB-9 on ACCU-FISH it will automatically mark the fish on the DB-9 chart show you can go back to them. 
At lower speeds I can run both at the same time with the lowrance set to chirp.
The DB-9 marks fish will shallow water and with the TM260 you can pretty much guarantee the fish will be under the boat with the lowrance in Chirp mode the fish can be off to the side due to beam width

Print Page | Close Window