Print Page | Close Window

Warthog V Sharp

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132768
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:44am

Topic: Warthog V Sharp
Posted By: MB
Subject: Warthog V Sharp
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:25am
Any thoughts? Good idea or yet another knife sharpening gizmo that fails to live up to expectations? 😆

Replies:
Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:44am
Seen a few ads for it. Looks exceptionally fiddly.

I'll stick to wetstones and a strop, personally.

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:26pm
I've had one now for probably 10-15 years and like it. In that time I have replaced the honing rods once. I purchased a good set of kitchen knives (Wusthoff) and the Warthog was recommended to me as it does not remove a lot of material in the sharpening process. I had tried using grinding stones before but struggled to master the technique. The Warthog system makes getting the angles right simple. Can't comment on other systems which may be equally as good.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Seen a few ads for it. Looks exceptionally fiddly.

It comes out the box assembled and you run the knife blade over it a few times. It's the lack of fiddlyness  that makes it interesting to me. I guess if you were frequently changing stones and angles, then there would be a bit more to it. 

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

I've had one now for probably 10-15 years and like it. In that time I have replaced the honing rods once. I purchased a good set of kitchen knives (Wusthoff) and the Warthog was recommended to me as it does not remove a lot of material in the sharpening process. I had tried using grinding stones before but struggled to master the technique. The Warthog system makes getting the angles right simple. Can't comment on other systems which may be equally as good.

Thanks FA. Good to hear a user report. Can't say I've heard much bad about them other than the price, but decent stones aren't much cheaper.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
I've used one. They make it easy to get the angles right. I imagine most proffesionals would use a stone but the Warthog would be fine for most us amateurs I'd say. The Scary Sharps look like a good system but pricey

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
I have one and they are good. 

won't get the sharpest smoothest knife edge ever, but 5-10 swipes before filleting or using a kitchen knife will bring the edge up plenty good enough.

-------------
I always tell the truth about things that never happened

Posted By: RogueOne
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

I have one and they are good.
won't get the sharpest smoothest knife edge ever, but 5-10 swipes before filleting or using a kitchen knife will bring the edge up plenty good enough.

+1 - Warthog great for a quick tickle and good if you want to spend some time getting things sharp enough without having to do much thinking

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:17am
I've got the xtreme and love it. I did however also buy the medium and fine stones to really finish off my edge. changing out the stones is as simple as popping them out with ya thumb and clicking in the next. If you want i'm in paihia, bring a knife round and run it thru yourself to try. Cant do any better than that!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

I've got the xtreme and love it. I did however also buy the medium and fine stones to really finish off my edge. changing out the stones is as simple as popping them out with ya thumb and clicking in the next. If you want i'm in paihia, bring a knife round and run it thru yourself to try. Cant do any better than that!

Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead and buy one. Only positive comments on this forum and the hunting forum. 

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:35pm
OK, so I got one and it is as close to the holy grail of amateur knife sharpening that I've come across. Relatively cheap, easy to use (almost pleasant) and effective. I now have an odd-looking hairless patch on my left forearm! 

I've ordered some 1000 grit hones. The 325 grit hones that come with the kit are certainly effective, but a bit too coarse for maintenance sharpening in my opinion.

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:47pm
get the 600grit as well. Just means less wear on the 1000. Worth every penny. Got mine off trade me from warthognz

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:00pm
Thanks. Trademe/Warthognz is the way to go. Great service Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window