Print Page | Close Window

Jig attached straight to Swivel & Clip or Fastach?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Heavy Metal - Jig fishing
Forum Description: Anything related to jig fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132678
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:14am

Topic: Jig attached straight to Swivel & Clip or Fastach?
Posted By: Bigeye
Subject: Jig attached straight to Swivel & Clip or Fastach?
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
Hi, Anyone simply just connected Jigs directly to Swivels with clips for fast changing? any bite difference in bites between doing this and tying mono knot to jig?

Thinking of maybe using the Mustad Fastach Clips. anyone used these?

Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:52am
I wouldn't use a snap swivel. I don't like them for anything but I do use the Mustad Fastach clips. Have never lost a jig to a fish or otherwise. They are simple, strong and work very well. I use the little tiny ones and never had a problem.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:54am
Having said that, I'm only using them for slow jigs. I'd get someone else's opinion before trying on a kingfish or top water set up.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:07pm
Yes, it's what I've been doing over the last few years. I don't like to leave jigs attached to rods when motoring on the ski, so am constantly taking jigs on/off. I use a robust clip on the kingfish gear. I have a split ring on the jig which goes on the clip first, and a solid ring on the assist hooks which goes on the clip afterwards. If you can visualise this, it means that the assist hooks aren't directly attached to the jig. This is convenient because it means that the hook or jig can easily be swapped out independently. Don't be tempted to attach the jig to the clip without a split ring. It enables the fish to gain leverage on the hooks and doesn't end well! 

You need a strong clip, the quality cross-lock types work well. Failing that, these clips from Burnsco do the job too:  https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishing/fishing/tackle-lures-etc/edge-rolling-snap-swivel-standard-pack" rel="nofollow - https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishing/fishing/tackle-lures-etc/edge-rolling-snap-swivel-standard-pack

I'm undecided about the swivel. Most of the time, I remove the swivel. It's another failure point and straight jigs don't cause much line twist.

Disclaimer: I use relatively light gear for inshore kingfish over clean ground. If you're chasing donkeys over foul with heavy gear, then it might be better to skip the clip.

Posted By: Accident Prone
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:26pm
I've always used a quality NT swivel with a split ring off the bottom for the jig . I never ever use solid rings either. Just make your own assists and loop them through the bottom of the swivel also.

Simple and never ever inhibited bites or failed.

Posted By: Garry 23041
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 4:38pm
I have a 250lb game swivel clip that I throw my jigs on. I use an ag chain knot on the game clip.

I also use 250lb mono so I can just hoist the fish over the side grab it with my knees remove the hook and throw it back quickly if it's to big or to small.

You would think with the heavy line and the clip It wouldn't work but it's fine.

Small fish (rats) have shook fast enough to open the clip on a couple of occasions but I did not loose anything. I suspect the clips were getting a bit old.

May not fish as well as light trace etc etc but I like the convenience and the heavy trace can take a lot of wear and tear before I have to stop fishing and re tie...

Posted By: Accident Prone
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:09pm
5 turn uni knot and you're good to go.

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:27am
AP above the easiest and fast. I have tried clips, and had them fail/open on me.

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 12:06pm
Tried all sorts of clips the latest being the fastach clips and eventually loose a lure so now no clips.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
Mustad fastclips for softbaiting as it's quick to change a jighead. Used one the other day on a softbait rod (1/0 - 50lb) and we C/R a 1m king no probs. I rate them way above a Genie clip that I used to use but for heavy work I'd use a swivel like Josh's shown above or at least make sure the clip is rated appropriately for the performance you require.

Print Page | Close Window