Print Page | Close Window

Softbaits vs jigs

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132625
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:12am

Topic: Softbaits vs jigs
Posted By: _jackrw_
Subject: Softbaits vs jigs
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:29am
Yesterday me, my brother and his mate Jack Clarke went out for a fish, we were stocked up on some new jigs I got and as usual had a few softbait sets ready to go.

Slow day at first got a few pannies for dinner but nothing amazing. We moved spots a few times until we found some incredible sign and then it was all on. We had a perfect drift through hundreds of metres of snapper and bait sign.

First thing I dropped down an Oceanangler Coin Drop in the orange and black colour. Ben (my brother) sent down an orange Oceanangler 60g micro jig and Jack relied on the trusty Z-Man Atomic Sunrise 7".

It was a triple hook up with the biggest fish being Jacks, at 14lb and followed by bens at 12lb. I got the small one! Angry

Jack followed up with another 15lber while me and ben got the occasional pannie, however the orange knife jig was doing better than my kabura.

We repeated the drift over and over until Jack hooked into what we thought had to be a kingfish with the amount of line it was pulling. Ben was also hooked up to a healthy snapper which he was trying to boat quickly to avoid a tangle/lost fish.

Jack's fish turned out to be a 28lb behemoth, it's surfacing was followed by a lot of yelling and swearing from us LOL

A quick photo was taken and the fish was vented and sent back down to the depths. Awesome day

Replies:
Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:29pm
Mean

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:16pm
I have always wondered how puncturing the diaphragm is beneficial to fish with barotrauma surviving, after all puncturing allows infection and bacteria in, and does the diaphragm heal quickly... ???

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:43am
1 of my goto colours that or Motor Oil...

Very Nice Snap that. puncture Catchy, least it has a chance, than in the bin......  

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MightyBoosh
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have always wondered how puncturing the diaphragm is beneficial to fish with barotrauma surviving, after all puncturing allows infection and bacteria in, and does the diaphragm heal quickly... ???

The intention is to puncture the swim bladder, but I think the wannabe fish surgeons have missed something. Expanding gas crushes internal organs (i.e. barotrauma, or pressure trauma). Even if the gas is released from the swim bladder, the damage is still done. Gas-letting will allow a fish to swim back down on release, but it doesn't mean the fish will survive. Of course, it has a greater probability of survival if released instead of going in a chilly bin. Personally, I now keep all fish caught in water deeper than 20 metres, especially if "blown" and stop fishing when I've got enough "meat".

Posted By: OneWayTraffic
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:53pm
Could consider a barbless hook point down attached to a sinker and handline. Drop the sinker and it will take the fish down until it reaches depth. I don't know about the survival aspects but inclined to agree with MB. Keep what I want to eat, and go home when I have a few. On the other hand the really big snapper may be the best breeders and if they have any chance of living then it's worth it.  

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:55pm
Found this old article by one of our well known fishos. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/74819080/how-to-release-fish-caught-in-deep-water" rel="nofollow - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/74819080/how-to-release-fish-caught-in-deep-water

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 6:02pm
Anyway awesome photo and good to see softbaits still holding their own against the many new jigs. 

Print Page | Close Window